“Very friendly, peaceful & relaxing hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

You added Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa to your Saves list
Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tarporley Road, Whitchurch SY13 4JH, England (Formerly Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Whitchurch
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Very friendly, peaceful & relaxing hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights with 4 other family members for a family wedding locally.
We found the staff from the moment of arrival were welcoming, smiling, and helpful.

The rooms were comfortable, large, and clean. The TV reception was extremely poor and let the room down. This however was the only fault with the room. The walls weren't paper-thin and you didn't hear doors slamming through the night.

We had dinner in the main restaurant for the first night and sat in the conservatory. The staff were very attentive and the food was decent. The only complaint of the meal is that a couple of items on the menu were unavailable and had to be changed. This only came to light around 10 minutes after the waiter took our orders. Perhaps the kitchen team would let the waiting staff know of food not being available so they could inform guests before deciding their choices.

The breakfast (although very pricey if you are only eating a bowl of cereal / some toast - £17.50 each) was excellent. Everything, where possible, was locally sourced food items which made the breakfast nicer and a bit more unique. The waiting staff again were excellent and very attentive. There was an endless supply of tea, coffee, and toast for our group and we weren't rushed either. They were also more than happy to substitute food without a grumble.

Overall a very high standard hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback following your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. It was very pleasing reading through your detailed feedback and I was delighted that you enjoyed your experience on the whole.

I have asked my maintenance manager to investigate the television reception for the bedrooms and have already spoken at length with my executive head chef about the availability of menu items. I understand that we will run out of certain items from time to time; however I have emphasised the importance of managing the food & beverage menus much more closely and also how important it is to communicate this with his restaurant team.

I sincerely hope you will return to Hill Valley sometime in the future and maybe take advantage of our wonderful newly refurbished spa facilities as I am conscious you may not have found the time last weekend due to your family wedding. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Just been for an overnight stay with two other couples. Lovely and clean. Bedrooms spacious and cosy. Superb shower. Drinks and bar food is really expensive, price way too high for the type of food available, but food was well presented and was fresh but still too pricy. The evening meal (inc in price) was good. Reasonable choice for table d hote which makes a nice change. All staff were really welcoming, pleasant and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The boys enjoyed the two rounds of golf too!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us; however I was disappointed to read your comments in relation to our prices. I can assure you that a great deal of time and competitor analysis is taken before setting our prices, and we feel that our food & beverage prices are in line with similar four star golf resorts. I was also delighted to read your comments in relation to the staff here at the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team. I do hope to see you back at Hill Valley again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
ankara
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Actually stayed at this hotel almost a year ago for 3 nights.although the room was basic the food and the bar were meeting expectations.it is very close to the town where there were some nice pubs.very nice view and a relaxing environment.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback in relation to your stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am delighted than you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you back here at Hill Valley again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I do not remember the last time I stayed at a hotel completely run by such a team pleasant happy people. The physical hotel is very nice and the rooms are of a good size and nice bathrooms. Its when you meet the staff in the public areas like the bar, restaurant, lobby, corridors etc. that you realise that everyone seems to enjoy working at the Hill Valley. I guess the surrounding population is quite small to recruit from but they have managed to find the best. In a bizarre twist, I suffered an unfortunate incident and everyone from the General manager through the restaurant, golf shop, reception were very helpful and reassuring and in my view went the "extra mile" in helping me sort things out. I will be coming back very soon with the rest of the family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
What a wonderful review! I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on you feedback following your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. We do have such a wonderful hotel here; however it is the team that work here that make the difference and set us apart from our competitor hotels. Here at Hill Valley we spend a great deal of time and effort to ensure we have the right people in place to cater for our guests and it is always very pleasing when our guests appreciate this effort. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hill Valley again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Had a recent golf weekend (with 13 others) at Hill Valley. Got a reasonable deal on the package and was impressed with the golf, rooms and meals.
However there were two very disappointing aspects.
1) The price of drinks and food in the bar - it was so expensive that for the first time (we have been going to various venues around the country for 15 years) we went out on the Saturday night. It cost us £20 to get into nearby Whitchurch but we saved nearly that much on the first round of drinks! Oh and in answer to my question a cheese sandwich was £7.95, it may have been the best cheese sandwich in the world, none of us chose to find out.
2) The Sports Bar! One TV showing a rather grainy picture of Sky sports, it was Ryder Cup weekend and on the Sunday night there must have been well over a hundred people crowded round it. If you only have one TV tell people that, but don't advertise it as a Sports Bar.

I understand the hotel has been extensively refurbished and the staff were great, but we won't be going back any time soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback in relation to your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I must apologise if you were told that you were sitting in the Sports Bar as the Sports Bar was not open over the weekend you were staying as we are currently making some changes to the Sports Bar which is located next to the golf shop. We have installed some large screen televisions, a pool table and we are also hoping to install some new furniture. I can only assume you were sitting in the lounge bar; however we have recently purchased a large flat screen television for this area with a much improved picture.

The standard sandwiches we serve here at Hill Valley are actually made up of three slices of bread so you actually receive one and half sandwiches served with salad and crisps; therefore I believe £7.40 is very good value considering one sandwich in a competitor hotel would be in the region of £5-6. Following your comments I have instructed my lounge team to ensure our guests are aware of what they receive.

I appreciate your kind comments in relation to the team here and I will be sure to pass these comments on. I do hope you consider returning to Hill Valley again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

stayed here with my partner and 6 friends the hotel is stunning the rooms were emaculate and clean and very spacious on a night the rooms were so peacefull. the ladies had a lovely afternoon in the pool and spa while the men had a great game of golf had a gorg relaxin break would recomend to any one wanting a night or weekend away

• Stayed August 2012
I would like to thank you for your very kind comments in relation to your recent experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am delighted you found the time to make the most of our wonderful facilities and I look forward to seeing you back at Hill valley in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

nice hotel....helpful staff , lovely location, had to move rooms as our room had a weird smell on reflection think it might have just been a new carpet smell but it was a bit like poor drainage...but staff were really nice and moved us with no problem from ground floor to 2nd floor.....hotel was full of golfers as the ryder cup was on but they no trouble.....pool good facilities good.....local town whitchurch was lovely very friendly and lots of wee pubs for good grub especially the anchorage which was recommended by our lovely taxi driver who gave us a wee history lesson...

Room Tip: dont to for ground floor room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. We did have the carpets cleaned in certain areas of the hotel just prior to your visit so I can only assume that the carpet had not dried sufficiently; hence the peculiar smell. I have spoken with my exceutive housekeeper and instructed her to check each bedroom after the carpet is cleaned in future to ensure there is no damp smell present for when our guests arrive.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!