“nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf

Save Saved
You added Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf to your Saves list
Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tarporley Road, Whitchurch SY13 4JH, England (Formerly Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Whitchurch
glasgow
“nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

nice hotel....helpful staff , lovely location, had to move rooms as our room had a weird smell on reflection think it might have just been a new carpet smell but it was a bit like poor drainage...but staff were really nice and moved us with no problem from ground floor to 2nd floor.....hotel was full of golfers as the ryder cup was on but they no trouble.....pool good facilities good.....local town whitchurch was lovely very friendly and lots of wee pubs for good grub especially the anchorage which was recommended by our lovely taxi driver who gave us a wee history lesson...

Room Tip: dont to for ground floor room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Many thanks for your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. We did have the carpets cleaned in certain areas of the hotel just prior to your visit so I can only assume that the carpet had not dried sufficiently; hence the peculiar smell. I have spoken with my exceutive housekeeper and instructed her to check each bedroom after the carpet is cleaned in future to ensure there is no damp smell present for when our guests arrive.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

399 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Alcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Feed back on Hill Valley.

Yes I would recommend and use YGT to others and your service is first class.

Hill Valley was good with one exception which spoilt the weekend for use all.

The Hotel food staff were first class as were the rooms and the facilities.

The beer was a bit expensive but what you expect at these places.

Location for use is good and it is very to find.

The emerald course is very good, a bit wet but again expected and no problem.

The Sapphire course is poor unkept and untidy trees in need of cutting back and generally poorly managed.

The main problem was the speed of play, emerald 5.hours 10 mins should be no more than 4 and a half.

The sapphire course 4 hours for 15 and walked off a disgrace for a 4500 yard course.

The main problem as lack of marshaling.

Sunday we were behind two female four balls who were very very slow and would not let us through.

I complained to the pro shop and on Monday we were behind the same females.

Waiting on almost every shot frustration beyond belief affecting players games.

In the end just couldn't wait to get off, complained to the pro who offer us free golf which we didn't take and couldn't wait to get away.

Will not go back .

Watching the Ryder cup in the bar on Sunday was wonderfully.

Room Tip: Dont go to play golf its to slow and unmanaged and the Sapphire course is in poor Condition
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I have already spoken to you directly about your feedback and have also apologised for the slow play; however as I mentioned to the wet conditions are inevitably going to effect the speed of play. Due to the severe wet conditions we limited the use of golf buggies, and in fact we did not allow any buggies on the Sapphire at all over the period you were at the hotel. With the course being wet underfoot it will naturally take longer to get round. We do everything we can here at Hill Valley to ensure our golfers do not encounter slow play and in fact we operate 10 minute tee-times here at Hill Valley as apposed to most golf resorts that operate 8 minute tee-time

I take your comments on board about the standard of the Sapphire Course and I would tend to agree with you that we have got some work to undertake over the winter to get the course back to its absolute best. We have had a particularly challenging summer due to the persistent rain. Naturally the course becomes very wet in places; however the biggest challenge is how quickly the grass grows. We are mowing all the fairways and rough 3 times a week this year in comparison to once a week last year so some areas of the course have more than likely been neglected as my green keepers have been concentrating on keeping the main playing areas in top condition. This has been reflected the green fees for the Sapphire which are 10% lower than last year. This is by no means an excuse; however I would just like to offer an explanation as to why the Sapphire Course may not be what you expected.

I am delighted that you were happy with the food and service quality in the hotel.

As much as we differed in opinion on the slow play issue I do very much hope you will accept my offer and return to Hill Valley again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Hotel staff were very friendly at all times.
At breakfast we were on a table of four and had to keep asking for toast. They took a long time to bring it out on a toast rack and it only had four slices on.
The prices at the Bar were extortionate. A large glass of house wine was £9.60. Three cokes were £10.
They should realise that by halving the prices, guests would drink 3 times as much.
Cobwebs hanging from the bedroom ceiling.

Room Tip: All rooms are of a good standard.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I was disappointed to read your comments about the cobwebs in your bedroom as the cleanliness of the hotel is of paramount importance to us here at Hill Valley. We have an excellent executive housekeeper who is as disappointed as I am and she has assured me that this is an isolated incident and will speak to her housekeeping team and re-emphasise the importance of cleanliness within the hotel.

I have also spoken with my restaurant manager following your comments about the toast rack delivered to the table as the standard here at Macdonald Hotels is for two pieces per guest.

I was puzzled to read your comments about the price of our drinks here at Hill Valley as our house wine is priced at £6.65 for a 250ml glass, which is what would be classed as a large glass so I can only assume you were given one of our more refined wines which are obviously priced a little higher. We serve coca-cola by the bottle here which is priced at £3 per bottle as apposed to a lot of hotels who serve coca-cola from a pump. The bottled coca-cola does however carry a premium but we have found that it is much more appreciated by our guests.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to Hill Valley sometime again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were a group of ten lads from Cheshire on a golfing stag weekend.

The stag's father had negotiated an outstanding deal for a group booking: three rounds of golf, two nights stay, two breakfasts and two 3 course evening meals combined with unlimited use of gym and pool facilities for £170 per head.

This may have been counterbalanced slightly by the expensive bar and snack prices (as well as £5 per hour for the snooker table), however at £300 for my own overall expense for a stag weekend, I thought it was excellent value for money.

Food and facilities were excellent. Staff were friendly and also very amenable to keeping the bar open late for us. The main golf course was in excellent condition, despite the very wet summer, and were challenging without being too difficult despite us having some golfers who could best be described as novices!

This represented an excellent stag weekend with drunken frolics without descending into the common perception of a stag/lads' weekend, so thank you to the hotel staff for your tolerance - hopefully we were respectful in return.

Overall a throughly enjoyable experience and a venue I would throughly recommend. We just need to decide which one of us is going to get married next year so we can return!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the golf course had a far better view, if you're into that sort of thing from...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
I would like to pass on my sincere thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent golfing weekend with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. We have had a very challenging summer in terms of the weather and my green team have worked tirelessly to get the course in the best condition possible despite the very wet weather so it is very pleasing when our guests appreciate their efforts.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable weekend with us and I certainly hope to see you back here at Hill Valley again sometime in the future. Kind Regards, Terence P Southward
Warrington, Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Booked an overnight Spa break with Spa Direct for this hotel from Sunday to Monday, and have nothing but compliments about our stay.

We were shown around the Spa facilities, given our locker keys, shown where the coffee room was and advised of when our treatments were. Good sized gym and not too crowded, and the pool, sauna and steam room were great. They also have a shower around the pool that will either drop cold water, drench you with warm water or give off an aroma spray. Facilities in the changing rooms were great, clean showers with toiletries, dryer for your swimming costume and hairdryers.

The Spa has just been extended and is brand new and was very tastefully decorated, especially the relaxation room with also had complimentary drinks. Treatment rooms again were really nice, and all of the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful.

Our room was spacious and had everything in that you would expect of a Macdonalds hotel, with a good sized bathroom which had bath and separate shower cubicle. Toiletries provided in the bathroom.

Dinner was exceptional. As we were on the Spa package we had what they called the Market Menu, although we could upgrade to the a-la-carte if we wanted to. There is no need to do this, as there was plenty of choice on the Market menu, and it was truly exceptional. The food we were served was amazing.

Breakfast was good as well. You had the usual selection of cereals, pastries, fruit juices, etc. Your cooked breakfast order was taken at your table. Again no issues.

We went back to the Spa for our second day and spent another few hours in the gym and pool area before returning home.

Check-in and out was friendly with an accurate bill. Also really easy to get to. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Many thanks for your feedback in relation to your recent spa break here at Hill Valley. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable break and took advantage of our wonderful new spa facilities.

We are extremely proud of our new spa and it is very pleasing that our guests are happy with our efforts.

It is also very pleasing to read your comments about the quality of the food here at Hill Valley. This is an area of the business that Macdonald Hotels is extremely passionate about and have spent a great deal of time and effort to improve.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Newcastle UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stopped here as a second night when attending car fest north at Cholmondeley castle, our 1st night had been at the Cholmondeley Arms approx.5 milles away, the Hill Valley could learn alot from their neighbour.
Bad start when informed at reception twin room was only available, strange email conformation was Superior King receptionist a little bemused and blamed internet booking ! No sorry not these days doesn't wash with me.
Secondly sur charge for using a credit card ... 1st time i've had a hotel charge for use of credit card.
Overnight disturbed till approx. 04:00 due to some golfers stagg party staying
Evening meal & breakfast OK nothing special ....
At nearly twice the price for Bed & Breakfast i expected more ....shame i couldn't get a 2nd night at Cholmondeley Arms

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am sincerely disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience with us.

I have since checked your reservation and the confirmation we did receive was for a twin bedded room and I do hope this error did not inconvenience your stay with us.

We do cater for large golfing groups and the management team do everything they can to control the noise levels throughout the night. I would suggest that you bring any disturbance to the attention of our night team who would have addressed the situation straight away.

The credit card charge is not uncommon in hotels and Macdonald Hotels introduced this policy last year to help alleviate the rising costs form our third party agents which we do not pass on to our customers.

Once again many thanks for passing on your feedback. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My daughter and I have just spent 2 days at Hill Valley on a special package deal. Had an excellent time - Greeted by a friendly face and very helpful receptionist.

Food was excellent for dinner and breakfast. Large selection to choose from at the breakfast buffet while the English breakfast was cooked from fresh.

We felt we were well looked after and the staff in the spa couldn't have been more friendly and professional. Did have a problem with my facial treatment...think the girl was being lazy but this was rectified straight away when I mentioned it the next morning with a free facial by a different girl.

Room was stunning - was lucky to have ground floor with small patio area. Rooms are large, clean and modern. Bathrooms again large with seperate shower cubile (best shower ever had in a hotel) and clean.

Overall had a brilliant stay and wished we could have stayed longer. If your unsure whether to have one or two night stay - well worth paying the extra for 2 nights!!!!!

Room Tip: Maybe just mention when booking if possible to get ground floor room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback in relation to your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. It was concerning to read your comments in relation to your facial; however I was very pleased that this was dealt with so efficiently whilst you were still here.

We are blessed with the bedroom product we have to offer here at Hill Valley and the patio areas are our most popular rooms.

It is extremely pleasing to see that you and your daughter had a wonderful experience and I hope to welcome you both back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf? Share your experiences!