“Wouldn't book again!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

You added Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa to your Saves list
Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tarporley Road, Whitchurch SY13 4JH, England (Formerly Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Whitchurch
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't book again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We booked an Executive King room for our 1 night stay at this hotel. Check in time was 3pm and when we arrived around 3.30pm we found that only 1 receptionist was at the desk checking the long queue of people in with no other staff members in sight to help her.

When we got to the desk the lady was very nice and did appologise for the wait, and we did feel bad for her cause she looked stressed. (We later discovered that she forgot to give us our complimentary drinks voucher to use in the bar so had to go back for that).

The room itself look great on first impressions, however it wasn't until we had settle in that we saw that there was mucky hand prints on the patio glass that ware obvouisly from a child and hadn't been cleaned off. There was also mould in the shower and orange residue on the tiles which usually come from there being too much iron in the water but can be easily cleaned off but wasn't.

The sound on the TV was bad with the sound feeding into a speaker in the bathroom being louder the the TV itself. Also the remote control's buttons were all mixed up and you had to press the sleep timer to mute the sound and the mute button to set the sleep timer!

The iron didn't heat up well and leaked any water you put into it, and the complimentary bathrobes were huge (at least an XL) and were too rough, also there is no air conditioning!

We decided to go to the lounge before we went for dinner at Peckforton Castle (Which is amazing BTW and we would of stayed there if they weren't full). We asked for a couple of drinks and just some bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. We were told that they had no olive oil and balasmic vinegar left so it was suggested that we went for a similar option (and more expensive) of bread with houmous, roasted garlic etc... when the bread came there was a bowl of olive oil and balsmaic vinegar!!

After our meal we came back to the lounge bar to use the drinks voucher to get a couple of glasses of rose... the response we got was "It's only the cheap house rose and you only get 175ml".

Wouldn't stay again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Went for a spa day as a birthday present. I found the staff very welcoming and very hospitable, they showed us arounda nf explained fully the set up of the day, we were given robes, slippers and towels which was a nice touch. I thought the spa facilites were good, clean and not over crowded but i do agree with other reviews- it lacked a jacuzzi. The treatment staff were fab, the full body massage was amazing as was the file and polish. Lunch was nice but you did have to get changed after one treament to walk through and have lunch unless you want to walk through the car park and sports bar in your robe! Not ideal when you are covered in massage oil. would definately recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We had two nights here as a birthday treat, as a family made up of grandparents, 4 parents and three babies. The staff were helpful and considerate. The hotel is modern (so not oozing with character) and spacious, new travel cots were provided and interconnecting rooms overlooking the golf course. We appreciated being allowed to borrow a golf buggy so that we could enjoy a little of the grounds (no time for actual golf!). The pool is large but basic, no jacuzzi but a nice steam room and light enhanced shower. We had the Market Menu in the evening which was fine but we were most impressed by the children's menu: our two year old grandson had an amazing meringue dessert which we would have chosen! An enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor, overlooking the golf course, are very spacious and have huge beds.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Stayed for one night with two other couples as a special birthday treat for one of our friends. Booked as a golfing package for the guys and spa package for the girls.

Spa was an absolute let-down - for me anyway. I booked a pedicure expecting ...well expecting what a pedicure entails. I never even got my feet washed!!!!!! Can you imagine that poor therapist, my feet had been enclosed in tights from 7 am and I had just done some serious shopping in Shrewsbury and there she was with her head inches away!!!!! My "pedicure" was a straight file and polish and on unwashed, unsoftened nails this was painful!!!. She told me that there had been other complaints about this and that she had told management to change thier criteria of a pedicure but that they had done nothing about it. The tranquil room was just a waiting area where you had to fight for a relaxing chair if you were lucky. My friend and I had to share the same chair. I was told my 3 coats of polish would take up to an hour to dry. I thought "sod this" and got dressed right away. So glad we had not booked a light lunch as we would have to whilst dressed in robes walk through the carpark and sit in the Sports Bar amongst rowdy golfers who thought any woman was there for a pick-up. Twice my friend and I were approached whilst trying to find our rooms!!! I was so glad when my husband joined me after his game of golf.

Once in our room to freshen up my husband was attacked by the showerhead which struck him in face. He reported this to recepetion and also my disappointment at the spa. He requested a free bottle of wine which we received but we had to do without a shower, it was not repaired.

The evening meal was excellent - a real tasty treat. The golfers were kept out the way in their own restaurant.

Fights broke out later in the night, blood and feathers everywhere as the scousers fought amongst themselves!! Terry, Terry and Terry apparently made up at breakfast time!!

On opening my curtains in the morning I watched a gaggle of trollops climbing over the balcony from the ground floor rooms and stagger up the embankment, still drunk, doing the walk of shame. Some middle-aged married men had succeeded in what they had come for!!!

I'm afraid this hotel seemed to me to be a pick-up joint. I thought golfers were better than footballers - oh I forgot........... Tiger Woods oh and eh Nick Faldo.......ye they were just living up to their idols.

My husband is in plaster and traction at the moment .... not the shower......he mentioned a golfing weekend with his mates!!!!!! LOL

Breakfast was excellent value for money, good quality and plentiful.

Shame this hotel is letting respectability slip in order to cater for a bunch of morons.

Room Tip: Ditch the spa. Book a mother's day or some other family package so as not to get offended by ce...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
penycae
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and myself stayed for 1 night over the weekend. We checked in, and then had booked afternoon tea, which was excellent value for money. We had tea and coffee,scones with cream,sandwiches,flapjacks and a selection of mini cakes.
The staff were very welcoming and very good at their jobs. The hotel was clean, and our room was lovely, it overlooked the golf course.
We later used the leisure part, which was nice and relaxing.
The only minus to the stay, was the sports bar, which was quite loud and busy.
We dined in the restaraunt in the evening and the food was excellent and so were the staff.
The following morning,had breakfast in the conservatory, which was good. both hot and cold food, and plenty of it.
I would give this hotel top marks. well done, and would definatley love to return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback. It is very rewarding to receive such feedback as it certainly highlights to the team that their efforts are not going unnoticed. We do have a second bar in the hotel and I am looking at opening this bar in our busy periods to alleviate the pressure on the lounge bar and furthermore make the lounge much quieter and relaxing. I very much hope you and your husband will visit Hill Valley again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Stayed here as a birthday treat from my wife to rekindle my love of playing golf.

We arrived early and the receptionist found a room that was ready for us to check in. Standard room was large and well equipped, spotlessly clean with a fantastic view.

Evening meal was ok, tasty but nothing out of the ordinary. We were on a package deal so were given the Market Menu but this was fine as most of the dishes on it are on the a la carte menu for a higher price. The hotel should mention this separate menu when advertising the package.

Drinks in the bar are expensive but the service was excellent and the lunch delightful.

Breakfast buffet was great, plentiful and varied. English breakfast was good, again waiting staff were very good.

Reception staff were helpful. This was a surprise trip which the hotel nearly spoiled by calling to confirm the reservation when we had specifically requested email contact, however this was not communicated to the relevant but they apologised by leaving a bottle of champagne in our room which was greatly appreciated.

The golf club staff were truly amazing, as the trip was a surprise, I had come slightly underprepared but Graham couldn't do enough to help - even lending me a pair of golf shoes. Lovely courses, very well maintained.

The spa is well presented but lacks a jacuzzi and the tranquility room was being used as a waiting room for treatment calls which made it anything but tranquil. The staff in the spa were a bit sharp. The package included robes and slippers but on the second day was told we couldn't have them as I had not booked a treatment that day (despite having four on the previous day because they were fully booked on the second day!). The polish used in the "luxury" manicure was of a poor quality as my wife was advised that it would take 45 minutes to dry. On the first day, was told I could not have a replacement for my wet robe as they had none available. It is worth mentioning that there are plans to revamp and expand the spa area which will improve it immensely.

Overall, a very good experience, would definitely stay again on a package because the list prices are very expensive.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for your very comprehensive feedback in relation to your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, hotel & golf. I was very pleased to read through your comments and noted that almost all departments in the hotel not only met but exceeded your requirements during your visit. As you mentioned we have recently completed a £400,000 refurbishment of our spa which not only enhances the spa but also complements the hotel as we now have a direct internal link straight through to our leisure club. I apologise for the issues you encountered in the spa and I have spoken to my Spa Manager to ensure we improve our overall service and communication within our spa. I look forward to welcoming both you and your wife back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Hill Valley Hotel in Whitchurch. We had a wonderful relaxing break. All the staff were very courteous and attentive and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The hotel and the rooms were spotlessly clean, I saw the chambermaid cleaning our room and she was fastidious in every detail. The kingsize bed was very comfortable and pillows were feather, which was fanatsic. However, if you are allergic to feather it does say that you can get an anti allerigc pillow from reception. The room was large and well equipped. We had a room which overlooked the golf course with views into the distance. Breakfast and the evening dinner were both excellent. The restaurant staff were professional and polite. We spent the afternoon walking along the Shropshire Union canal and then onto the outstanding Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, one of the world's greatest engineering achievements built by Thomas Telford in 1805 and is now a World Heritage site. We don't play golf and I only used the gym so cannot comment on the golf or the spa facilites, the gym was fine though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback in relation to your recent experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley. We have a wonderful hotel with magnificent facilities, and I am delighted that you and your husband were able to take advantage of them. I would urge you to come back to the hotel very soon as we have recently just finished a £400,000 refurbishment of our spa facilities. I look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel again very soon. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!