“a real let-down” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 41 Restaurants in Whitchurch
Cuisines: English
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: We are a family run country pub that welcomes Children, dogs & mudddy boot. We concentrate on producing quality, home cooked fresh pub food made from local produce at competitive prices. We have 8 ever changing real ales, along with quality wines and refreshments for all your requirements.
Whitchurch,, United Kingdom
“a real let-down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The food is overpriced for the quality of it and their wedges are dark brown on the outside and uncooked in the middle. Gone downhill and would never visit again!

Visited April 2013

Bromborough UK
“Mid week break.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

July 2013.
We have just had a short camping trip at the MCC site adjacent to the Horse & Jockey pub. The camping field is basic, just a grass field with water taps & waste disposal facilities. During our stay we also had an evening meal, at the pub, the food was good & the service excellent. This is definitely a place to visit again.

Grindley Brook locks, a staircase of six locks, can be found across the road & a walk along the tow-path / sandstone trail lead into Whitchurch High Street.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Lovely to have a dog friendly venue, my boy can get a little vocal when he doesn't have my full attention and as the weather was good I opted to sit outside but when ordering he was more than welcomed in the bar by staff and customers alike nice not to have to tie him up and go out of his sight.
I had the steak and ale pie with proper chips and mushy peas the only disappointment was the shortcrust pastry lid on the pie it wasnt really to my taste if it had been puff pastry it would have been perfect. Dessert was amazing I opted for the lemon cheesecake with ginger ice cream wow I will definitely go back just for that.
It isn't the cheapest of pub meals but was well worth it and there were a few other options on the menu which will tempt me back soon

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
“A pleasant pub, not far from the canal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Freshly decorated, friendly staff, food fine, good choice. Not far from the Llangollen Canal. So in theory one could nip up the hill & cross the road & you would be there (if boating).

Visited September 2012
Preston, United Kingdom
“Friendly Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I'm writing this review solely on a lunchtime visit for a pint. That's what pubs are for!
I was like a drowned rat on arrival but the staff were friendly and helped me dry out. Far better reception than I've received in some pubs whilst walking past.
There was an excellent selection of beers.
People were coming in for lunch but I was not made to feel out of place. Full marks.

• Visited June 2013