“Best of Puerto Del Carmen” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado

Save Saved
You added El Dorado to your Saves list
El Dorado
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Calle La Graciosa 3-7, 35510 Puerto Del Carmen, Lanzarote, Spain   |
Ranked #34 of 84 hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Limerick, Ireland
“Best of Puerto Del Carmen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We have just spent two weeks at the El Dorado apartments from Aug 25th to Sept 8th. This was our 7th trip to P Del C in recent years but our first stay at the El Dorado. This is the best resort in Puerto Del Carmen. It has a twenty four hour reception, no messing and very good security. The location is ideal as it offers convenient access to both the old and new town areas and is very close to the beach. We found the back gate (which offers access to the old town and operates via a swipe card between 8am and 11pm) very handy as it cut out the hell of tackling the famous 'cardiac hill'. Our one bed apartment was spotless, was cleaned regularly, had plenty of towel and linen changes and had absolutely everything we needed. There were plenty of sun loungers and the pool area was a pleasure to use.The only slight negative point was that because the apartments are in such a central location, night time noise levels of those returning home late were a bit of a nuisance at times. We would definately return there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I must concur with the previous comment from our lovely neighbours, whom we met for the first time in the El Dorado complex in July 2012. We have been to Lanzarote over last 10 years with our boys & have stayed in the El Dorado on the last 3 occasions. Apartments very convenient, kept well clean & grounds are spotless. Could not speak highly enough about the cleaning staff, gardeners & of course Felipe in the Pool Bar is wonderful, such a friendly & funny guy who makes everyone feel very welcome. We did witness on 2 separate days the towels being taken away, which there was no need for as it was 10am & did not witness anyone even looking for a bed. This famous Manageress seems to be the institagor, felt very sorry for a lovely spanish family who had booked apt for a month with an elderly relative & they actually left 1/2 through their booking but obviously they did have issues & the Manageress would not address. My only problem with the complex was on our last night we had gone down New Town for food & then came back to Old Town for our last drink. We entered complex as always through the back gate which had access to Old Town but got locked in between the 2 gates. We thought it funny at first but an hour later we were still stuck at 2am. Another family tried to let us out but could not, they alerted the night porter & he tried to explain that it was automatic & that as of that day it was closing at 12am for security reasons. We had not been advised of this & the notice was actually on the inside of the gate so we would not have seen same as it should at least have been posted on the outside gate. We were getting very agitated at this stage & eventually had to climb a very dangerous gate which was at least c 7 ft high. This was totally unacceptable. On going down to reception to complain again we were met by the Night Porter with a 'Ladder'!! We were very annoyed, this was not his fault but surely somebody had a key to open same. I asked him if this family had not alerted him would he have seen us, he showed us the CCTV & all this area was blurred, so much for a security precautions!. If this was a family with children or elderly there would have been war. Anyway I went to reception following morning to complain again & the receptionist was very unresponsive saying 'I did not understand but that was new rule'. I would have understood if we had been notified properly. I spent an hour with this lady & a Manager eventually came out & sympathised with me saying the first outside gate should not have opened anyway. I asked to fill out Complaint Form & on completion was told it was a 3 page form & had not copied onto the carbon copy! I asked if they could photocopy same & advised it was not acceptable to do so. This famous Manageress was then called, I stood my ground & was told I had to fill out another form, which I patiently did. I was given the original & told the copy would issue to the Lanzarote Tourist Board, I unfortunately feel that even it this did happen they would have got the copy which was hardly legible & to date have not heard anything. I am going to send my original copy just in case, as I would like this issue followed up & dealt with. I hate to complain & usually would not, but feel that every resident is entitled to complain if they have a valid issue but also that they would be dealt with. This will not put me off returning to the complex as love the area, the friendliness of the staff mentioned - their smiles mean the world:-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
fmusan, Director Comercial at El Dorado, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear customer,

Firstly thank you for your positive comments about the staff an also for your constructive critics, which are always useful to improve our services. I will answer them point by point to be more clear:
1. The Spanish family to which you refer decided to leave the hotel because it was advised about allowing entry and use of the pool of friends / relatives not living in our hotel. It is a strict rule that we follow to protect the safety of our customers. They were told that it was not possible to do that and decided to leave.
2. Problems with towels on sunbeds. Never removed a towel from a sunbed if someone is using it, and we only do if other clients complain of no place.
3. Problem with the door. The change in the schedule of closing the door was notified and you were the only of the 150 customers that day staying at the hotel who have not read the notice. The statistics seem to show that probably it was a distraction for your part rather than our negligence.
4. Your complaint has been lodged with the competent authorities in legible copy and we can prove at any time. If you desire we will send the scanned receipt. We are a serious and responsible company , so I ask you not to question our reputation, honesty and legality.
5. You claim to have stayed at our resort three times in the last 10 years. Our director, and owner, has been managing the same for 20 years and is the first time you perceive that the hotel management is not adequate. We believe that a personal criticism like yours to a lady with whom you have never had a real direct problem, should be much more objective. In any case, I want you to know that the hotel management is the result of work and coordination of this person and that staff attitude and behavior is due to the fact they have been working for more than 10 years in the same company, in a team created and shaped by the person who you are criticism.

We remain at your disposal for further clarification.
ECLE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed here for two weeks in July with our two children, 5 & 3. When we got there we were given a map & told where to go, no offer of help with bags & with two little kids I thought this a bit bizarre. As we hadn't been there before we went a bit wrong & had to ask guests where to go so I thought that was a bit of a bad start but got over it.

Opened the curtains when we got into our room & couldn't have been happier! Had our room, the terrace a few steps & we were straight out to the pool. We couldn't have asked for better for the kids. They were able to run in & out to the pool / toilet / get a drink or go for a sleep & we could see them all the time, it was perfect!

I can't praise the maintenance men highly enough! They were so friendly & absolutely fantastic & the grounds are spotless!! Really immaculate!

The staff on reception were all lovely too except the blonde German girl who was very stand offish & not a bit friendly. Nelly & Jeronimo were just lovely & the nightime porter too.

Philip at the pool bar was just so lovely & his mojito's are to die for!!!! :-) I couldn't praise him highly enough either. He gave our five year old money to play pool on more than one occasion & on our last day brought us over free drinks which I thought was just lovely.

The location is fabulous. Out the front door at reception, turn the corner & you're at the strip, go out the back door & you're two minutes away from the Old Town... perfect!

The couple of downsides were... cockroaches in the apartment!!!!!!!!!! I absolutely hate them & couldn't sleep because of the brats! I know it's just one of the downsides to being on the ground floor. I told reception & they said they got fumigators in but it just so happened to be the morning my partner was hungover & stayed in the apartment til about 1. One of our neighbours said the fumigators had been in at about 10.30 & they definitely were not in our apartment. I complained again the following night on my way out & when I got back they'd sprayed some spray & put a draught excluder at the front door as there had been a huge gap underneath it. They gave me spray then to keep them away... still found a few though!

One morning we'd been out at the pool & I just went in to get the kids a drink & when I went back out all our towels had been swiped off the sunbeds along with anyone else who wasn't around the pool & brought to reception. Wouldn't have minded if we hadn't been at the pool all morning. I know some people were doing this but don't they always & there were always sunbeds available! We went to reception complaining anyway & I felt sorry for Nelly & the maintenance man as they were getting it left right & centre & it was the managers fault! She sat in her office away from everyone & we didn't so much as get an apology. I saw her a few times after that & she was dog ignorant then too.... a let down to an otherwise lovely group of staff!

On our second day, a Sunday my five year old smashed a glass by accident & I noticed we'd no dust pan & brush so went to reception to ask for one & the not so lovely German girl told me she didn't think they could do anything as housekeeping were off. I told her there was glass all over the floor & something had to be done, so while we were out she sent someone who half swept up, I was finding glass for a good few days afterwards.

The cleaners came five times a week & were lovely but could have put a bit of elbow grease in. Now it was fine, but it could have been a bit better.

All in all our experience at El Dorado was brilliant & I'd definitely recommend it & I'd definitely be back. Everyone around the pool was so lovely & friendly & we had the nicest next door neighbours! Who incidentally got locked between the two gates at the back door for over an hour one night & reception were not too helpful to them that time either!! They'd put a new timer on the gates & failed to tell the residents which I thought was absolutely ridiculous!!!!

Wish we were back there! :-)

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool are fantastic, we were in Room 107, on the ground floor & it led straight...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
fmusan, Director Comercial at El Dorado, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear customer,
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay at ELDORADO but like to clarify something about your complains:
1. We do not usually accompany any clients to their appartament, but customers who need help with the lugagge can borrow a trolley that can be used without any additional charge. You were given a small map and our receptionist indicated you the route to follow, didn’t he/she?. In addition, 10 meters from the reception, on the way to the apartments, there is a wall with a large map of the entire complex .
2. Our German receptionist is not unpleasant. We have never had any complaint about her. She’s just more serious than the rest of the receptionists, but always correct in her behaviour. We do not discriminate our employees for their character or nationality.
3. Cockroaches. The report our receptionist wrote said you complained about cockroaches on July 8 and a maintenance employee threw some spray the same day. The 9th you complained again, so to eradicate the problem, we called exterminators to come the next day. As you were not awake, we did could not fumigate the apartment. The Fumigation company is external so we have to adapt our services to their availability. Fumigation finally took place on July 12.
4. You said that cleanliness was not good, but in your questionnaire you gave it a very high rating. I would be grateful if you’ll be able to clarify this point so we can really improve our services.
5. Towels at the pool. Towels were removed because there was a customer who complained that there were no free sunbeds that day. Before removing it, we asked people close to each sunbed if they had seen someone in that sunbed recently. Only when they answered not is when we removed them. Surely it has been a misunderstanding, but we must be strict with our rule that sunbeds can’t be booked with towels to give all our customers the opportunity to enjoy our sunbeds and pools.
6. You confirm your desire to return, so I conclude that the overall operation of the hotel seemed right. I would like to explain that this is thanks to the work and the coordination of our manager. As you noticed, we do as much as possible to make clients feel at home and she never refuses to talk to any customer who wanted to clarify or express his/her opinion, so please tell us who was the person who told our director was unavailable or refused to speak with you, so we can clarify the matter.
Kind regards.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in June for two weeks with three children under 10, complex is very clean and safe and location is perfect for both old and new town's. We stayed in a two bedroom apt and it was the most space we have ever had, with a fantastic view if both the pool and sea!. Only downside to the complex is no evening entertainment .

• Stayed June 2012
Blanchardstown, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We booked an apartment with two bedrooms and when we arrived, we were given two apartments with a separating door in the centre. This was a big shock!
The apartments were spotless and very spacious, because we had two apartments we had two of everything literally, two fridges etc.
The pool area was spotless and there was plenty of sunbeds and cushions, it was very quite at the small pool which was relaxing.
The Hotel itself is immaculate, staying in Lanzarote you are worried about cockroaches, we did not have or see one cockroach in the hotel grounds which was amazing because we are terrified of them!.
The only bad thing about the hotel was a smell of sewerage in the bathroom which went a day after and the back door of the hotel sometimes didn't work.
But other than that you cannot fault it. This hotel is fab

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
doncaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Great location close to old town,beach and the start of the new town bars.A shopping centre with a spar is also located at the rear of the apts up the path at the side of one of the pools with access through a card operated gate,good for cheap beer to put in the fridge instead of paying 3 euros a pint at pool bar! We asked for ground floor with double bed and pool view.We were given top floor(only 3 high)with twin beds but had pool view and great view over sea so we never complained. the apts are very clean and spacious but a little tired but for the price you cant knock them as i said they were very clean and maids were in 5 days out of 7. There are 2 pools with plenty of sunbeds so no need to get up at crack of dawn which is the main reason i chose this accommodation to start with. I cant comment on the on site restaurant as it was being refurbished but there is no shortage of places to eat.Old town for the more exclusive restaurants overlooking the harbour and new town for the more lively bars but also has plenty of restaurants. Great apts great location great holiday.Just a small note there is no entertainment not even any music around the pools but that did not bother us.

Room Tip: top floors(only 3 high)have great views overlooking sea but there are no lifts
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Wexford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Great for families with the 2 pools. Not enough sun beds, alot of beds broken and was plenty of space for more beds. Close to beach and shopping centre just across the road which had a spar supermarket. Booked a 2 bed apartment because we have 2 children aged 8 and 12 and actually got 2 apartments which was good. Enjoyable stay .

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor room if travelling with young kids or elderly as alot of steps
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to El Dorado? Share your experiences!