“good and bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Isla de Lobos

You added Isla de Lobos to your Saves list
Isla de Lobos
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Guanapay 8, 35510 Puerto Del Carmen, Lanzarote, Spain   |
Ranked #23 of 94 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“good and bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The room was spacious and clean. Nice to see bottle of water and tea and coffee sachets on arrival. Pool area was very small and although there were plenty of sunbeds there wasn't much space for them! However it is very close to the beach. The reception was only open certain hours and closed two days a week. We arrived at 8pm to find it closed and had to ring a number to get instructions to find key and directions to our room. Thankfully I had enough credit on my phone! Having said that we were allowed to hold on to our room until we were leaving at 3.30pm and just handed our keys to the guy at the pool bar. All in all a good experience and very central to everything. Just note that it is on a very steep hill which is not for the faint hearted!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Aron C, Gerente at Isla de Lobos, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time to write this comment.

Now our reception closes only one day per week and I encourage all the clients to send us an e-mail informing us about their time of arrival. That´s the best way to avoid this situations. If they don´t do it, I will not know when they come and they have to call me.

We are working on other aspects to improve our service. I will give the clients information about alternative ways to go up to our apartments avoiding that hill, for example.

We are writting down every word you say about those problems you found.
But it´s nice to know that you felt quite satisfied in general with our services.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We have just returned from 1 week in the apartments 18/05 - 25/05, and over all I found it a great base for us (young couple.) We stayed in the Barcarola Club Apts in Oct 2011 and whilst we absolutely loved them, we wanted somewhere more central to both the strip, and the old town, which we definitely got with Isla De Lobos.

On arrival (approx 4pm on a Saturday) we discovered the reception area to be closed. We had to phone a number on the door (which I was a bit put out about - what if you didn't take your mobile phone abroad? And what about those roaming charges!!!) and was talked through how to access the key from the secure box it is stored in out of hours instances.

We were allocated room 8 - this turned out to be a godsend! A ground floor apartment overlooking and literally a couple of steps from the pool. The apartment itself was spacious and very clean (except for the floors - walking barefeet in it gave me black feet! Ew!) Although the facilities (bathroom especially) are dated, they were exactly what we needed. Some of the plug sockets looked a little dodgy though, one was coming away from the wall a little so needs some attention.

The bedroom was very dark which is great for sleeping,not great for getting ready though which I did in the bathroom. Not having air con did not bother us as the weather is hot but not oppressive in May. The beds were two twins pushed together and quite hard but again, this didn't bother us too much.

The pool itself is very small but was more than adequate for what we needed. It was a very quiet week when we visited and on a couple of days it was just the two of us at the pool which was great, like our own private villa! The pool bar did not open in the time we were there, but there are shops v nearby and we just took our own drinks round the pool.

The location is perfect! A nice 10 minute stroll to the old town, and a 3 minute walk down the infamous hill to the strip/beach. The hill didn't bother us too much but it is very steep and not suitable for anyone with any mobility issues.

Overall, we found our stay to be great value for money. We paid £182 for 7 nights which is £26 a night which you cannot argue with! In high season though the pool area I feel would be cramped. However, for an early/late season trip I wouldn't hesistate to return!

*TIP: ASK FOR ROOM 8!*

*A note on security*
When we arrived as there was nobody on reception there was no way for us to get our safety deposit key. I mentioned this on the phone to the receptionist, as I would have had to have waited until Monday (it was Saturday) to get one. He was great and came to the apartment and left it on the table for us so we could secure our belongings immediately. It was approx 30 euros with 12 returned on your departure.
A few days into our stay, a couple also staying at the apartments told us they had money missing from their apartment. They had not gotten a safety deposit box and had hidden some "back up" cash (approx 250 euros) which when they came to use, had gone. There was no sign of forced entry. That did kind of put a bit of a dampner on how safe I felt at the apartments but I just ensured we were extra concious of security, which we are anyway.
Another thing I did notice was that the windows have an outer wooder shutter, then inner glass pannels than can be opened independently. Our cleaner always left the glass panels open (probably to air the room) but I don't doubt the wooden shutters could be easily punched through, so I always went in afterwards and shut them. Just be aware if you're out all day - especially if your room is one of the back ones and facing away and vulnerable. Maybe i'm paranoid but better to be safe than sorry! :)

Room Tip: We loved having room 8 as it was steps away from the pool and lovely to sit out on the terrace overl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aron C, Gerente at Isla de Lobos, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Wow! What a wonderful comment!
I´m quite surprised.

We know it can´t be a problem for some clients to find the reception closed. But, as I explained in other answers, it´s a small complex of apartments. We can´t afford having a 24 hour reception openned and I recommend all the clients to check always the timetable of the receptions. I travel a lot myself and I have stayed in hostels, hotels, apartments... And I always check that out before because every place has its system. So it´s better to do it that way.
This is our e-mail: isladelobos@pentaturismo.com and I advise every client to send me an e-mail telling me their time of arrival, so we can talk about the check-in.
That´s the best option.

About those small problems in our apartments, we always check out every room before the client arrives, but it´s better if the client detect anything we haven´t seen in that moment, since they are the ones who stay there and get to know the rooms better than us by using them. I have written down every comment you said about it.

You came on May and, yes, during that time Benjamin has to closed the Pool Bar for holidays. But it´s openned the rest of the year. So I invite you to taste one of his delicious meals if you come back, like his scandinavian meals.

The "infamous hill". That was quite funny. You are right, it can be very hard, but I can explain other ways to get to our apartments from the beach. Some streets that goes up from the avenue but they are not as steep as that one.

The price for the safety box is 26 euros one week. 12 euros out of that is a deposit I give back to the clients when they return the key.
You can calculate it like this: 2 euros per night + 12 euros deposit.

We normally do not have any problem of security. Our apartments are situated in a very good place, also with the police station at 5 minutes walking from here and if we have had any problem about it, it was just because the client leave a door openned or a window openned.
But that´s all. Isla de Lobos Apartments is one of the safest complex of apartments in Lanzarote for sure.

And you are right, the cleaning lady usually shut the wooden shutters and leave the glass panels openned to aire the room after she cleans. But it´s something very safe. That wooden shutters can´t be openned punching them, trust me. I has been a good system since we openned up our apartments for the first time.

I´m so happy you loved room 08.
Some clients want balcony, some want terrace, some want a very quiet apartment, some want an apartment close to the pool... and from this last group, they usually love room 08.

Once again, thank you very much for this great comment.
It´s very helpful for potential clients to see this level of detail in your descriptions and it also help us to get better. And, of course, I´m glad that, apart from those small things you didn´t like, you had an overall great impression.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My first thought was it was a lovely place. The rooms are of good size and has nearly everything you need. just not a sponged to clean the cups or plates, also no can opener. The pool bar was closed and they said its not open till July. There was a lot of noise people and kids!!!!! even thou its an adult complex. the pool is freezing like so cold you have to jump to get in to it and when you do you end up splashing everyone who`s sunbathing, so its not nice! The cleaner came nearly everyday even when we was asleep what I didn't like. the beds where not that bad either, the curtains where thick and kept it cool. The shower does not stay hot for two people to have showers. The hair dryer will dry your hair, if you have a day to waste. the hill from the complex to the beach and shops is a really really really really really steep hill, Me and my friends are young and pretty fit but we all struggled walking up the hill even going down it. the pool area never gets sun until 12 or 1. when we left the manager was not there to give us our money back for the safe. They must make loads of money that way. also the pool area can get packed if you don't get a spot. when we was there, there was a big group of people and we never really got to sit by the pool. overall it was ok and have good and bad bits. it has been an upgrade from what I have stayed in but you need to choose the pros against the cons. and the steep hill is a massive con especially If you struggle walking already, and opposite the balcony is the bins where you can watch people rumige through and they smell. and there is not a view of the sea. you can see maybe a handful of sea.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Antonio C, Gerente at Isla de Lobos, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
First of all, thank you very much for your long opinion. It really help us to improve our services and it´s really nice that, despite you didn´t like a lot of things, you gave us a good punctuation.

I would like to answer to some of those comments, because I think it´s important to explain them.

1) During your stay, the Pool Bar was closed, indeed, but it was just for 3 weeks. It was just the holidays of our waiter. He works almost everyday during the week and he decided to close for those weeks the time we have less clients. But it is openned practically the whole year.

2) That´s right, in that moment we had to accept a big family with some children. But it was an exception. That agency sent us that big group by mistake and we couldn´t change them to other apartments because we needed to change 4 rooms at the same time and we couldn´t do it. That´s why we had to accept it. But since them, we have spoken with all those agencies and we do not accept children.

3) The temperature of the pool, that depends on everyone´s opinion. I mean, we don´t have any complaint about it. During summer season it´s at about 20º. It depends on the weather, so if it´s a very cold day (which is not very usual in Lanzarote) that will affect it. And on winter season the pool is at 23-24º.

4) The cleaning lady normally goes to clean the rooms from 10:30 and on. If the clients want her to come later, they tell her. Some clients don´t mind, and some ask her to come, maybe, from 12:00 and on everytime and she respects that. That depends on the client.

5) We have replaced all the hair dryers that had some problems recently. So that´s solved.

6) You are right, our street has a steep hill to access the avenue. But that´s not the only way. There are 2 more streets that connect with our apartments and those hills are not as steep as the main one. I always offer maps to the clients and I can explain everything to them.
If any client has a problem with that hill, I can tell them other alternative ways.

7) "when we left the manager was not there to give us our money back for the safe." This is a very interesting point. A lot of clients assume that our apartments have a 24-hour reception but that is not correct. That happens always with hotels, but not always if we are talking about apartments, hostels, rural houses... They have different systems, so it´s important to inform about it before your arrival.
Besides this, I always explain the clients in their check-in time that my timetable is on the reception door, and also my phone number if there is any emergency or they need me for anything.
I don´t have the information of the clients´ flight. If they don´t tell me that, I don´t know it. So if the clients leave before the reception is openned or after it´s closed, that´s their responsability. The clients need to check their flights and my timetable and see if they need to ask me for the deposit of the safe the day before, or talk about the check-out time. It´s like going to a shop. There is a timetable and the receptionist is there during those hours. Before or after that, you need to call him.
And many clients know it. They come to the reception and ask me about the deposit, the late check-out, etc. That is important.

8) All the apartments face the same way, but, of course, they all don´t have a good view from the sea. Some of them do, some of them don´t. But if the clients send me an e-mail asking me for that or include that request in their bookings, I´ll do my best to give them the best room with sea view (like room 17, 18, 20, 24, 26...).

Once again, thank you for your opinion. We really appreciate your time writting it and we wanted yout to know that we write it down it all and we will do our best to improve in those areas we need to change.

¡Muchas gracias!

Isla de Lobos Receptionist
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Moved to these apartments after bad experience nearby and cannot praise it enough. It is spotlessly clean and the atmosphere is very chilled and relaxed. The pool is small but with the beach at the end of the road it serves its purpose perfectly. The furniture is a cut above other apartment complexes and they welcome you with a bottle of wine, tea and coffee etc on arrival. The is also a coffee machine, hairdryer, iron and board. If I return to this area of
Lanzarote I will definitely return here.

Room Tip: Ask for upstair apartment for lovely sea views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here for 10 days and although it's not the ritz it's cleanliness and service couldn't be faulted. The apartments are spacious enough for 2 people and have a separate bathroom and bedroom area. A fridge and kettle and microwave etc is provided and there was sachets of tea and coffee provided complementary , which was most welcome. The rooms were cleaned 6 days a week and to a high standard and the bedding changed 3 times during our 10 night stay so no dirty sheets here. The only drawback with the rooms is there wasn't any air con but slatted window shutters helped with the heat. And possibly the 2 best things about the accommodation is it was adults only and with it being a family run concern they can make the decisions they allowed us a late check out at no extra charge which it's self is worth it's weight in gold. It's a good priced complex that I would recommend to anybody and we will certainly visit again .

• Stayed May 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Enjoyed these apartments very much good service and kept very clean. Pool was excellent and kept tiptop but pool bar closed the day we arrived which was very disappointing but would return the location found puerto del Carmel a bit too commercialised but coped with it. Anyone going please feed the cat who lives near the pool.

• Stayed April 2013
lincolnshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

back from a last minute holiday to these apartments we would not return there are nicer ones around this area for the same price kontiki or atlantis all the sunbeds have been removed from playa grande from april 2013 we found playa blanca far nicer our 1st floor apartment overlooked the bins one way or dead trees the other the staff were hardly ever there and there was no pool bar or food on site

Room Tip: go to nearby atlantis or konticki instead
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aron C, Gerente at Isla de Lobos, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments. First of all, we are sorry you had this bad impression of our apartments. But your opinion is very important for us to improve our service.

I just wanted to inform you that the problem about the sunbeds in Playa Grande is already solved. From the beginning of this summer, a new company is running this and there are plenty of sunbeds in Playa Grande. There were only two months without them, until El Cabildo chose the company for this.

Our Pool Bar was closed for 3 weeks, those were the holidays of Benjamin, our Pool Bar waiter and he chose them based on the low occupancy we had during that time. But the rest of the year it is openned almost everyday from 09:30 until 18:00 or 19:00. In our Pool Bar you will find a wide range of meals and drinks. He even cooks scandinavian plates.

Our reception is not 24 hours openned. This is not a hotel, but a complex of 26 apartments. That´s why we have a timetable and we close one day per week. But our phone number is always on our reception door just in case anyone has an emergency or wants to ask me for something.

Once again, thank you for your opinion and we hope to see you again staying in our apartments. I´m sure next time you will be more satisfied with our services.

Isla de Lobos Reception

Been to Isla de Lobos? Share your experiences!