“Not up to scratych” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Beatriz Playa & Spa

Save Saved
You added Beatriz Playa & Spa to your Saves list
Beatriz Playa & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Urb. Matagorda, 35510 Puerto Del Carmen, Lanzarote, Spain   |
Ranked #40 of 84 hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Bantry, Ireland
“Not up to scratych”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

A good hotel, but does not live up to it's 4 star rating. The food was mundane and lacked the touch of a chef with presentation skills.The main bar/entertainment area has no waiter service, and customers have to queue to be served (16 at one stage and only one barman)The rooms are to an acceptable standard and the housekeeping was very good, but some of the public areas are a bit tired and are in need of refurbishment/ redesign.The hotel is very close to the airport and there are planes landing and taking off from 7am until about 9pm .A useful tip it only costs 8 euro in a taxi to the hotel and saves hanging around for the tour operators transport. I will go back to Lanzarote again but the Beatriz Playa will not be my choice of hotel.

Room Tip: Stick to higher floors overlooking pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Director R, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Beatriz Playa & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear guest,

I am sorry to find out that the Hotel Beatriz Playa & Spa did not fulfill your expectation, sorry for that, but let me inform you that we are currently renovating the instalations.

Best regards

Hotel Beatriz Playa & Spa

1,332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Polish first
Coupar Angus, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just returned from a weeks accommodation at the Beatriz Playa and Spa which is susposed to be a 4 star hotel but it is definitely not. The room we were allocated was tired looking and in need of refurbishment, some of the wall sockets were loose, kettle was filthy as was the balcony furniture. The food was terrible but the birds seemed to enjoy it as they were always in the bowls, not very good for hygiene of guests. There was no daytime activities. Night time entertainment was okay.

Dear guest,

I am sorry to read the title of your review but let me just tell you that we are currently in progresive renovation as instalation of 32 inches flat screen TV, refurbishing the bathrooms, painting new etc...
About the birds, it is indeed a problem for us as well but thanks it just happens in this period of the year as there are nesting, believe me we are perfectly aware and do take the measures we are allowed to, as nets at the entrance of the restaurants, ultrasonic devices meant to avoid them, we do even feed them before the opening of the restaurants but we cannot possibly do much more as there are strict laws about bird protection.
Your remark regarding the daytime animation has been noticed and you can rely on us to rectify this point.

Best regards

Hotel Beatriz Playa & Spa
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Firstly I am surprised if the reviewer just a couple of reviews before this one hated the hotel so much on his first visit bothered to return!

I visited the hotel two years ago and tried to visit again last year but the flight I was booked on was withdrawn so I ended up going to tenerife instead.

This year I was fortunate to be able to go on a weeks holiday in winter and I chose to return to Lanzarote and the Beatriz as I love the island and find the Beatriz an interesting and quirky hotel...the layout and the decor are lovely. I see no reason why every hotel should have to be refurbished constantly to bring them into line with the latest faceless new ones. The bedrooms are perfectly ok. I did find a new balcony set of furniture in a tasteful grey colour and a flat screen TV since my last visit.

The cleaning staff keep the rooms clean......to be honest I cannot fault them.

I requested a room in a particular area of the hotel and although not given the exact room I was given a lovely room as was my companion so no complaints there. I had contacted the hotel by email and the staff were most pleasant and helpful and I am most greatful that they fulfilled my request.

The entertainment was not to our taste so we did not really attend any of it but that was not a problem as when I go on holiday I usually am on excursions etc most of the day so like an early night.

The food at the hotel is on the whole fine. I am not a lover of hot breakfasts cooked at spanish hotels but I have no problem in finding food to eat at the Beatriz. The dark brown rolls are to die for (but on the weekend seemed stale sadly...one of my few negatives) I wish someone from the hotel would give me a recipe or tell me exactly what type of rolls they are a beat any i've eaten in the UK! They make lovely pancakes at breakfast too and love the coconut yoghurt!

On the whole evening meal was fine......never was there a day when I couldn't find something to eat...including more of those morish brown rolls! Sadly only had your lovely pistachio ice cream on one evening and never any coconut ice cream....both my favourites.

Once or twice had lunch at the hotel and once only there was nothing I fancied so ate at the burger bar instead which was fine. We tried the oriental restaurant but didnt like it too much. Felt the food was not hot enough plus a lot of cabbage etc in the dishes which I don't like but I am an extremely fussy eater.

The only big problem that I found this time at the hotel was the birds on the food. I didn't notice anything untoward two years ago but this time the amount of birds flying in and eating the food was concerning! They even stand in the food whilst eating and this is a worry health wise. I personally would not mind if there was no risk but there undeniably is. Please folks try to sort this out.

The spa is excellent ...the best one i've been in....sadly the Turkish bath still not working though.

The aircraft noise for the person hoping it will not cause a problem......I actually love watching the aircraft fly over. It IS the nearest hotel to the airport but honestly it really is not a problem. The planes do not fly at night so you will not have disturbed sleep.

We had a tropical storm which delayed our arrival and meant missing lunch sadly plus it rained the next day too but the rest of the week was great. The pool area is good and the sunbeds very comfy.

If you have not been before the following are a must to visit :- Timanfya National Park......volcanic demonstrations and a special restaurant, Cuevos de los Verdes...amazing volcanic lava tube, Jameos del Aqua...part of same tube with underground cafe, pool and volcanic museum, Ceasar Manrique's Fundacion and home (how much would I like to live there!), Mirador del Rio, Cactus Garden, Tequise market on a Sunday or if like me this time you travel Sunday to Sunday then a lot of the same items to be found at Playa Blanca on Wednesdays. Pretty villages such as Yaiza and Haria. Lanzarote is a beautiful island and does not deserve the label given by some in the UK of lanzagrotty.....grotty it is not it is clean and gorgeous! The Beatriz is a very good hotel. If you want a five star brand new hotel then go elsewhere but the Beatriz does it for me!

Room Tip: The rooms on the restaurant side if you like peace and quiet. If you are out partying till the wee h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Director R, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Beatriz Playa & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay in the Hotel Beatriz Playa & Spa. I am very glad that you could spend another relaxing holiday amongst us and that you liked the hotel and its facilities. Thank you very much for your nice comment on our staff, we're always pleased to hear that our guests have been satisfied with the service we offer. Concerning the birds: we are very aware of the problem, but as the bird protection laws are very strict in Spain there is only little scope left for actions to be taken. I am delighted to hear that you liked most of the food and that you enjoyed going to the spa.
We really hope to welcome you again in the Hotel Beatriz Playa & Spa. Please do not hesitate to contact us in advance for a room reservation or any other wishes.

With best regards

Hotel Beatriz Playa
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Hi all, we are booked to go this Easter and having read some of the reviews I am looking forward to what should be an excellent holiday. As ever everyone's view is different so initially I have requested a sea view room and late check out as we have two small children. I am a firm believer a hotel should read booking requests and mention them on check in. Hopefully the food and weather will be great and the family will enjoy it.
My biggest worry is how close the airport it. so we shall see.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Director R, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Beatriz Playa & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear "future" guest,

My name is Eric and I am the public relations manager of the Hotel, do not hesitate to give me a call to make sure us to give satisfaction to your request regarding your stay.

Waiting for your call, receive my best regards

Hotel Beatriz playa & Spa
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Returned on the 10th of march 2013.
My wife booked this trip for me as a retirement pressie. we were here 2 yrs ago and sadly it hasnt got any better,the hotel was built about 15 yrs ago and is in need of a revamp. the bathroom was okbut like the rest of the hotel tired. The food was the biggest problem due to lack of thought with the food ,it was very boring and not very tasteful but the worst thing was the restaurant is partly open and it lets in the birds in who sit on the edge of the food platters eating from them and then you are expected to eat from the same trays.it is classed as a 4 star but in fact is only about a 3 star. It states on the beach but the beach is covered in volcano rocks so we didnt bother to use them .There are some lovely walks if that is your thing ,but if you dont walk there is nothing else to do , no daytime activities and evening entertainement n was good .The nearest places to go to if you are looking for lively bars etc is about a 1 and a half to 2 hour walk PHEW.
average age this time of the year was about 70 but saying that we met some lovely people.Although i am 65 i feel a very young age and still love music and dancing. wouldnt go again.

Room Tip: poolside is the only place to be .aircon is noisy and not very good
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had booked into sol lanzarote but due to overbooking we were transferred to this hotel. It was a good move as we were upgraded to half board and then for just a few pounds we decided to take upgrade to all-inclusive. Well worth the money food was great a varied everyday, it was the girl on receptions first ever shift so she had a couple of hiccups but handled it very very well, we never seen her on second day so I hope she made it through her trial shift! Entertainment was a bit dull, same stuff every night but not that it affected our enjoyment. Definitely a return visit planned

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Director R, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Beatriz Playa & Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review about your recent stay in the Hotel Beatriz Playa & Spa. I am very pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the food in the restaurant and that you have taken notice of the good value for money that we offer. Thank you very much as well for your friendly remark about the young lady at the reception. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we would like to welcome you again. Please do not hesitate to contact me in advance in order to reserve a certain room.

With my best regards

Hotel Beatriz Playa
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Travelled to this hotel 6th to 13th February. Room was fine though every morning we could smell stale cigarette smoke in it, My daughter and I are both non smokers. Choice of food seemed to improve as the week went on, When the restaurant was busy we didnt like being told that we would have to sit outside ( with smokers ) despite the fact that there was an area of tables closed off. There are birds flying in and out landing on the food at most dinner sittings.!! Didnt mind paying 21 euro for a safe but thought it was mean to charge 15 euro for the use of the fridge. Have never had to pay a charge for this before. On our final morning we filled in a questionnaire about the hotel. Later we checked out. Receptionist was very abrupt , Handed me my deposit for 2 towels and said no more. ( not even "Goodbye now" or "Hope ypu had a nice stay " )Later in the afternoon when we went back to reception to collect our luggage the same receptionist accosted us in a very rude abrupt manner with the questionnaire almost demanding to know why we had only ticked "ok " for reception. The reason was because we had to go to reception with a lot of queries and also they hadnt issued a voucher to us for the spa when the safe was purchased. Just by luck I asked if I should bring down the receipt to the spa. The spa by the way was lovely. Packages were quite expensive so we just did the thermal suite, This cost 24 euro for 2 each day even though we were resident in the hotel. ( Costa Calero Hotel has a bigger thermal suite which is much cheaper for residents.

Room Tip: Garden and pool views are fine
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Beatriz Playa & Spa? Share your experiences!