“would go back in the future” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort

You added ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Suiza 4 | Puerto del Carmen - Lanzarote, 35519 Puerto Del Carmen, Lanzarote, Spain   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 96 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Honiton, United Kingdom
“would go back in the future”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

First time in LANZAROTE ,we found the hotel very clean and well organized for a very large complex 4500 rooms ,see other reviews ref. rooms choice .We had a ground floor room in the main complex( 122) . overlooking the tennis courts ,very quiet area but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room ,.the food was ok but breakfast was a let down sometimes hot and some times warm plenty of it though the Chinese restaurant was very good you need to book a table early ,it has two sittings 1830 and 2030 catering for approx. 40 people per sitting. We done a couple of excursions with the tour operator they were well organized and a couple with the local operators in Puerto del Carmen , we found it cheaper with the local tour operator.
The beach is a 3 minute stroll away main resort town is a 10 minute stroll plenty of bars ,restaurants and hundreds of gift shops all selling the same stuff , a very good hotel and service ,the hotel staff from all areas are very friendly and courteous, children are well catered for with there own pool ,club and staff who organize activities. There are plenty of sun beds but they do get booked !! a very good week was had and will definitely return in the future..

Room Tip: e mail and ask for a room in the main complex read other reviews ref. rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Polish first
Manchester, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

IMPORTANT: I have previously reviewed this hotel in TripAdvisor. You can see the difference from the hotel over these two reviews, available by clicking on my account button.

OUR HOLIDAY INFO
We (couple) travelled with First Choice (Thomson/TUI Holidays) to Lanzarote to stay at the ClubHotel Riu Paraiso on 9 May 2013 for one week. The stay was All-Inclusive and cost £550 per person, booked 6 months previously.

HOTEL HISTORY
The ClubHotel Riu Paraiso is actually two hotels which were built separately by the prestigious RIU Chain in the late 1980's, renovated in the 2000's and most recently adapted once again with further building work. The main entrance is at what was originally the Club side and the secondary hotel is known as the Palace.

It would be easier to explain that when the hotels were two separate complexes, these were built to different standards. The Palace hotel was modelled on RIU’s 4/5 Star resorts which now span more than a few hotels in Europe (mainly Spain) to further ashore places such as the Caribbean and Mexico. The 4/5 Star Palace hotels traditionally were half or full board, therefore these were built ready to cater for this purpose. As such, they usually feature a restaurant and bar/main stage area designed for discerning guests who wish to go on holiday to relax. Many people in resort also refer to this as the ‘older’ side as you’d be likely to find older guests (less families) in this part.

The Palace side of the hotel was built to a higher standard that the Club side which was originally a 3/4 Star hotel when built. These are usually (within RIU’s catalogue) for All-Inclusive holidays and cater as such in design, with entertainment and sports for people who would visit these hotels. The rooms are also slightly smaller than Palace ones.

Through this review I refer to the hotel as the two separate ones, the Club and the Palace. If you look on a map, the Club side is on the left, the Palace on the right. The Club side is where reception is.

GENERAL LAYOUT
In the 3 visits I have made (2004, 2008, 2013) the hotel has changed from what was once a great hotel, to just a good hotel. The complex in 2004 and 2008 featured everything you would expect from a hotel, having the full bar, restaurant and entertainment package. However between 2008 and 2013 (the hotel couldn’t tell me when as I wanted to know), they have closed the Bar and Restaurant in the Palace side of the hotel and replaced these with more rooms. As such, what was once a joint complex (connected by gardens and a long walkway over the discotheque), is now pretty much a one-man band, with all of the features based in the Club side of the complex and guests staying in the Palace have to walk over to the Club hotel (approx. 5-10 minute walk) if you wish to have a drink or something to eat.
The only exemption to this is the lunch ‘Conservatory’ café and also the swim-up pool bar which are located on the Palace side. These generally open 1100-1800 and offer salads, burgers and pizza (café) and alcoholic drinks (bar).

The complex on the Club side features 3 restaurants and 1 lunch café bar. The 3 restaurants include the main one (serving breakfast (only place in the complex to do so), lunch and dinner) and 2 themed ones (one orientates between Mexican and Canarian, the other just Asian food). As part of our stay we were told we could reserve a place to visit both themed restaurants, just one.

The Club side also has the entertainment stage indoors were the Animation Team would do shows each night, with Discos and Karaoke.

As you can understand, from two hotels, each holding their own restaurant and evening bar area, the ClubHotel Paraiso once provided a lot of facilities for guests (especially during our 2004/2008 visits). However, as of 2013, the hotel has now closed the bar and restaurant in the Palace side, as such, you have the same amount of guests now trying to get into one restaurant.

The hotel is located next to Puerto Del Carmen, with a main road separating the complex to a large, quiet beach. Transfer to/from hotel is about 5-10 minutes from Arrecife (ACE) Airport

RECEPTION
Arrived at 4pm. Check-in was a bit different to normal as a coach-load of people (approx. 40-50) meant that reception simply couldn’t cope. They wanted everyone’s passports and then said to head downstairs for a drink and come back in 30 mins when everything was done. We were instantly tagged with RIU bands and shown to the stairs. Long gone has the personal, check-in process - they were more bothered about getting everyone’s passport to photocopy. Additionally, leaving 40-50 pieces of luggage in reception is a bottleneck, when it’s changeover day and trying to navigate between arrivals/departures and people generally walking through the hotel.

We went back after 30 minutes and were checked in. Initially given a ClubHotel room, I reminded them of my RIU Card (reward scheme) and that I’d requested and been emailed confirmation of a Palace-side room. This was requested for two reasons – it’s quieter and also the rooms are busier. On being told about the changes at the Palace side, and that the restaurant/bar had been ripped out, I regretted this in part.

Generally, reception was friendlier when not dealing with 40-50 people at a time. They were helpful with bookings for restaurants and local taxi’s. However we did visit one day to request the ‘RIU Brochure’ – something available in each RIU Hotel detailing their catalogue of worldwide hotels and details of the complexes available. We were informed by reception this had been ‘discontinued due to cutbacks’ but then quickly realised what she had said and replied ‘I mean, err, environment’. I didn’t believe that she’d said the wrong thing, but was being honest after being caught off guard.

ROOM
We stayed in 4403 which was on the Palace side of the hotel, overlooking the walkway between the two hotels, and part of the tennis court. The view wasn’t fab, but never mind. The room was clean but looking old. The hairdryer and the blankets held the 1990’s RIU Logo which gave away their age. The room was cleaned daily, with animals being made from towels on the bed, and there was an old box tv. The fridge didn’t work.

After 10 minutes in the room, the phone rang, a lady welcoming me back to RIU. I explained the fridge didn’t work, and so they said they’d fix it. When we returned to the room later that day, it was replaced with a different (not new!) model, and worked fine. The shower was good, with plenty of hot water.

FOOD / DRINK
From experience, staff generally are amazing at RIU hotels and this wasn’t any different at the RIU ClubHotel Paraiso. However, they are very busy. With twice as many people in the restaurant (which has remained the same size on all of our visits), they cannot cope. The food is quickly cooked and on several occasions, I refused to eat steaks and sausages as they were raw in the middle. Worryingly so was the chicken which my partner was going to eat one evening – it has quickly been fried either side but not left to cook inside.

On the first day, we went to breakfast in the restaurant (after a 10 minute walk through the garden path) and we never went again. The eggs which I had were still raw on top with the egg whites running over the yolk. The bacon was brittle and too crispy, and the beans … well, we played ‘spot the beans in the sauce’ as it was so bad. The sausages (as mentioned above) were not eaten. Toast with butter was the next option, until we left and ate for the rest of the holiday at a nearby café which did breakfast for 5 Euro.

As such, we never tried breakfast again the main restaurant.

Lunch wise, we kinda got used to the routine of burgers and fries one day, then hot dog and fries the next, then back to burgers (from the café bar in the Palace side). The restaurant was visited once during this stay for lunch, and after finding nothing but salad and the usual small beef steaks or fish on offer, we left and got some Pizza from the outside bar.
I would like to just mention that the Pizza is actually quite nice. I haven’t been back to Slimming World since returning from Holiday, but on Wednesday I will find out how much Pizza I’ve actually had.

For afternoon snacks (1500-1800) you find that the burgers and hot dogs are still there. So we didn’t really go for this.

As for dinner, this was a mixed affair. Some nights would have show cooking of large legs of beef (tasted nice) and occasionally some chicken curry style thing (which somehow tasted of Chinese sweet/sour sauce). Bread is a staple, and is available on the far right of the restaurant. The cheese selection is also good.

I did miss the plates of Tuna which they used to provide, as well as the variety of soups (now just one) which meant that most evenings were a bit of a mixed bag, with some form of beef steak or fish being eaten again. The local Canarian potatoes (wrinkled ones) are nice with Red Mojo Sauce.

As for the themed restaurants, one of these was the best night we’d had. The Mexican/Canarian restaurant was booked for the Sunday Canarian seating (I think) and we went along. On arrival we were told it was actually Mexican but we still went in. There were fajitas, wraps with some lovely beef strips (probably from the other restaurant) and also taco’s. There were also a few other nice things to try which was good. But the restaurant was empty. We took the early seating.

As for the Asian restaurant – I wouldn’t bother. The guests on the table next to us were walking out just halfway into their first course and told the waiter it was, quote, “the worst Chinese I’d ever had”. Incidentally, they were not far from wrong. Some of the food was overcooked; some wasn’t even ready at the 1830 opening of the restaurant. There was sushi but sadly this had all gone as there wasn’t enough. The Chinese chicken courses pretty much tasted the same. Dessert was skipped.

DRINK wise, I do enjoy lager, and this was very flat. Everything is served in half pint glasses as these are a bit of a waste as with 2 hotels going to 1 bar, it gets very busy. A lot of people also struggled with the self-serve bar and wasted a lot of beer in the process. The cocktails are all pre-mixed so you have to ask for extra alcohol to be added to taste, however the local vodka isn’t too bad. They have however cut back dramatically on the offering, only with basic vodka, brandy, gin and Malibu available. At one time (2004/2008) we were able to get Liquor 43 Brandy, a favourite of my mother, however this wasn’t available.

Disco? Well, that was dire. If it wasn't the grumpy barman, or the woman who sat with her arms folded behind the bar (who was she?!), it was the lazy DJ who 'didn't have a song' which my partner wanted, but yet played in the day before. Oddly enough, it seemed to be a playlist already set, and he was playing Solitaire on the PC when we approached him.

ENTERTAINMENT
Previously, this had been something else where the staff put all their energy on show and would provide amazing entertainment. The first night we went in after a drink to see what was on around 8pm, and it was an older woman and a guy on a keyboard playing what I only can describe as a ‘turn’ from a local working men’s club, singing old songs and standing there looking uncomfortable. I felt uncomfortable sat there, listing to someone who seemed to be doing Karaoke. For the first 2 or 3 minutes we assumed it was Karaoke, only to be told that Karaoke actually started at 10.30pm.

We saw just one show during our stay, instead opting for a local Irish Bar called Slainte Bar where a lady called Carmel and her partner Paul welcomed us with open arms. We visited nearly every night during our stay, partaking in Karaoke and Pool, having a general good Craic. I should mention we’re from Manchester, so again felt foreign, but welcomed wholeheartedly, nonetheless.

The show we saw was ‘Dinner For One’ which I had seen previously during stays here, and for English readers, this may not sound like anything at all. In fact, it’s a British comedy sketch from the 1920’s which featured the late Freddie Frinton and May Warden in a 1960 film. The film is not very familiar in the UK, but is in Germany – it forms part of their New Year’s celebrations on TV and is shown annually. As such, the room is full of German guests, ready for slap-stick humour and the catchphrase, “same procedure as every year”. This was still at the near-same quality as before, and formed an enjoyable night.

OVERALL
The hotel has had a lot of changes, and this impacted our view from the onset. With the busy complex now even busier with two hotels trying to use just one hotel’s facility for food and drink, expect bottlenecks at mealtimes and issues with running out of food/undercooked products.

The staff are still amazing as ever – very friendly and helpful but do looked overworked. They are the reason I enjoy RIU Hotels and why I have continued to visit them when not at the RIU ClubHotel Paraiso.

Would we return? The jury is out. The hotel wasn’t full on our visit and I’d dread to try the hotel when it was full. They cannot cope. And bits like removing other bars are a bit of an issue as then it causes delays and availability when you expect items at an all-inclusive resort. However its location is a good point, and so we may consider it if it improves. Try the hotel in Tenerife (BuenaVista) or the ClubHotel in the Algarve for ideas of how good this hotel once was.

Room Tip: Palace side if you want to be in a quieter side, and bigger in size.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Never read the good reviews all ways read the poor ones first, people only write reviews when annoyed, the good ones are typically from the hotel/reps etc.

Two main points to this review, the first is for the travel company and the second for the hotel its self.

First choice holidays: No rep to be seen at the airport, no rep on the bus. When we arrived at the hotel we were given the 'Superior' room we asked for, this was a joke (I'll come back to that). Again no rep available to deal with/resolve the issue. Following day the Rep told us they would get back to us they didn't, we had to chase both of them down a few days later, when questioned they said 'we got what we paid for'. No attempt to resolve the issue, and a shocking attitude... talking to other guests, they received the same ignorant attitude. No rep to be seen on the way back either.

Hotel: Reception were polite and quickly booked us in, they advised us to leave our bags and get our dinner before the restaurant closed. Unfortunately the food was the typical bland all inclusive type we all seem to be accepting these days... (cheap meat, poorly presented etc...).

We then took our bags to the room, with a great view... of a roof top, I heard the lucky ones got a view of tennis courts, not the sea/pool views promised when booking (rooms were upgraded at a premium during booking). Complaining to reception they moved us to another room which was still poor and had terrible views. They told us we should take the issue up with the tour company because his system did not meet the standards.

Next issue was WI-FI, why in 2013 are we still paying money to use WI-FI in hotels? I paid the 20 euros per week rate then immeadiatly regretted it. It was slow and unreliable. It also cut me off on my last day, I asked reception and they said 'you paid for a week and got 6 days so that erm.... 20 / 6.... 3.50 euros we owe you. Seriously that was more of an insult than an attempt to resolve the issue.

I would give this hotel a 2 star rating only because the weather was excellent.

Room Tip: Book the hotel next door
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Awesome! Epic! Majestic! Just come back from 11 night stay, had a superior family room with sea view. Spacious room with separate lounge, was great when kids slept in the day as they could rest in the bedroom without being disturbed. Balcony was huge! Proper fridge not a mini bar which was brilliant as we had to take tons of baby food pouches. Mini club was superb and our four year old was in there twice every day! Mini disco on the night was great too and a highlight of her day. Main shows fantastic the crazy show was hilarious! Food was excellent. Loved the separate Mexican restaurant, other half loved the Asian one, Canarian was okay but not our cup of tea. Main hotel restaurant was excellent with plenty of choice. Staff were always friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble! Would we go again? 100 percent yes! With a four year old and an 8 month old we were worried that the hotel wouldn't have the facilities but we just can't fault it! Entertainments team were fantastic! Hope to go again soon and didnt want to come home!

• Stayed May 2013
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Myself and my husband have just spent two weeks at this hotel and really enjoyed it. The bar is very well run, although you can help yourself to lager and wine. The hotel always had something going on the animation team worked really hard, Pepe and his collegues always kept us entertained. There is plenty to do, hotel is only 10 min walk to the start of Puerto del Carmen. The food was plentiful and lots of choice, and most enjoyable. I would recommend this hotel to anybody. Hi to Pepe from popular ha.

Room Tip: our room 150 was in the main hotel at a quite end with nobody above us ,peace.
crawley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 9 night and had a brilliant time as we checked in they noticed we requested a double room with pool/sea view and that's what we got so we where very pleased, we stayed on the quiet side of the hotel which was a short walk from reception over the bridge, glad we stayed this side as some people we met said the other side sounded like the m25 as it was close to reception and all the restaurants and entertainment, we always found a sun-lounger at any time of the day and as the weather was a bit cooler at the beginning of the holiday we found lots to do outside the hotel as the main strip of bars and shops where only a short walk away and there is a bus stop near by that takes you most places around Lanzarote, we did find the food really repetitive after the 6/7 day so we ate out at some restaurants the last few evenings, the pool was a bit cold at the start of the holiday so you had to be brave and jump straight in, we only went to the entertainment once and it was ok the night club was very interesting and sometimes only had 2 other people and other times was full but worth going just for the music, the drinks selection was brilliant and they seemed to do every kind of sprit and a good choice of cocktails the staff where extremely friendly and the hotel was spotlessly clean the beds where a bit hard but we asked for a mattress topper and an extra pillow and they turned up within 10 minutes, it was also our wedding anniversary while we where there so we booked the Asian restaurant which we enjoyed and they also arrange a bottle of champagne which was a nice touch, we had such a great time we didn't want to go home so all in all a great holiday :)

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Just returned from this holiday and thoroughly enjoyed the stay although the weather was not too good on the last 2 days. I would like to make 2 observations for the management :- speed up the checking in process, although only 4 parties arrived when I did we were told to go away and come back in 30 minutes as they were busy( no one else booking in and can you please get some more English channels on the TV,
Will visit this hotel again but please do not keep people waiting for long time to get to the room

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort? Share your experiences!