“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Lanzarote

Save Saved
You added Sol Lanzarote to your Saves list
Sol Lanzarote
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Grama, 2, 35510, 35510 Puerto Del Carmen, Lanzarote, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #31 of 84 hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Bad points: Definitely not 4 star!!! No tea/coffee making facilities in room, selection of food predictable and not adventurous. What you had at evening meal is sure to show up at breakfast. No theme evenings taking place which was listed on their notice board.No dress code enforced in main restaurant resulting in evening sitting with men in shorts, sandals, bermudas and t-shirts. No assistance in taking luggage to your room which required going up steep slopes.
Entertainment lounge area not big enough -very crowded in the evening with a scramble for any available seats All inclusive - NO, NO, NO. Alcohol selection for all inclusive of extremely poor quality - definitely watered down. No free Wi-Fi (£25 per week charge!) which you could get for free at Mac Donald's across the road!

Good points: Location very good on the beach but so is the Beatrix Playa Spa which we highly recommend. Probably ideal for families as entertainment is geared towards kids. We had a good sea view so that was a plus point.Would we go back............................NO.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms higher up that way you are more likely to get one with a sea view !
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sollanzarote, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Lanzarote, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear davidc555,

I regret to read your disappointment and I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations on this occasion. On the other hand thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us via Tripadvisor. I am glad that you found our location and our sea views to your satisfaction.

Please note at Sol Lanzarote you will never have the same food in two different services, I can guarantee that. We do have recommended dress code at the restaurant but as I hope you understand this is a vacation family 4 star hotel and we must have some flexibility about it. I am sorry to read that it was disappointing for you.
As you mentioned I confirm we do not have bellboy service. All our services are shown in detail in our website and we must ensure our competitive rates and keep providing an excelent value for money.

In addition to that please note our All Inclusive drinks, as it is shown as well in the website, are local get 50% discount. In case you decide to come back let me suggest as well our All Inclusive Gold board designed especially for you which includes all international spirits up to 5 years.

I am sorry again that we could not make it better for you. I hope you give us another opportunity and visit us again in the future.

1,398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

First of all, loved the location. After a 4 and half hour flight it was lovely to be only 5 mins away from airport.

Check in was slow, it was quite busy and yet only 2 people on reception and I have to agree with other posts, not a smile between them.

Room location was fabulous. We were on ground floor right at the far end near the football/tennis court facing the sea. Really quiet and could listen to the sea of a night. Bliss. The room was large and did it's job. At end of the day, your room is only to sleep, wash and store your stuff in so as long as it's clean, and it was daily, then we were happy.

Food was ok. Wasn't bowled over by it I have to be honest. We stayed at a 5 star hotel in Spain in August and I think maybe we had been spoilt as there was a HUGE difference between the 2 considering Sol Lanzarote was a 4 star. I'm quite fussy so labels saying 'meat stew' or 'chilli with meat' isn't going to tempt me. It was very repetitive and as someone else mentioned, there didn't seem to be any noticeable 'Christmas Day' food. I actually had salad for my Christmas dinner.... On a plus note, we always go to All Inclusive hotels and this was the first hotel we have been to where you could actually get food practically all day.

Hotel location is fab. Although close to airport, we were that close we could see which holiday company was written on the planes as they came into land, the noise level wasn't too bad. Love that the hotel was on the beach and love that the shops etc where so close too. Beach was lovely and resort was too.

Entertainment was good for the kids but having a 13 year old daughter, she did get bored so unfortunately the Nintendo Ds came out a few times. The wi fi is awful. My partner got it as he thought it maybe be better than buying newspapers and was very disappointed. 20 euros for 5 days and I think we were able to use it twice.

The hotel is in a great location and clean, if the food could be improved slightly, rooms updated and the staff on reception smiled a bit then would say it would be a potentially perfect hotel to recommend.

Stayed December 2013
Sollanzarote, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Lanzarote, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear sassyscouselass,

Thank you so much for all your comments which are really appreciated. We are happy because you had a pleasant stay with us.

Please note in regards to the food that we offer very competitive rates striving to provide a good value for money. That makes us different as well from 5 star hotels and it is important to mention.
I will share your suggestions with the team so we may become your perfect hotel to recommend.

We will try the best for you if you decide to visit us when you come back to Lanzarote.

We are waiting for you!

northern ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I was worried about staying at the Sol due to the mixed reviews on trip advisor. The positives were the hotels location - very quiet and right across from the beach, our room view 3311 - fabulous sea view, plenty of sun beds, staff were friendly and helpful but they were under pressure as the hotel was fully booked, the room was spacious and well equipped and very clean there was maid service every day. The negatives were that some of the sun beds were broken and people still insist on reserving beds with towels even though there are signs everywhere telling you not to do this - we saw a man heading out with four towels at 11.30 in the evening to reserve his beds!!!!! The rooms could do with a paint job as the paint work was scuffed and some of the fixtures were a bit worn. I wanted to book a late check out but it was not possible as the hotel was fully booked but I was told I could book a courtesy room but when we went at 4pm as arranged we were told the room was not available and we had to use an area in beside the gym which was not really very satisfactory.

Overall we had a very enjoyable stay and would return as the location is excellent and we spent most of our time out and about. There is a great Chinese to the right of the sol when you come out of the beach gate past the Aussie bar - I think it is called the The Great Wall - really reasonable and good food and service especially from Quann. Also there is a really good hairdresser in the shopping centre to the left of the beach gate - cleopatras - Valentina is the hairdresser. There is good crack in the First and Last Pub and Peggys Snug in the shopping centre and excellent value for breakfast in Las Brisas also located here. If you want something special go to El Sardinero the food is excellent - in the harbour area of the old town.

Room Tip: Get a sea view 3311 was excellent
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear ArdMhacha,

I am very happy to read that you had a very enjoyable stay with us. Thank you so much for sharing it via Tripadvisor. We are very gratefull for your nice comments about our staff and our lovely views to the ocean.
Please note in regards to the rooms painting you mentioned, we are on the process of a deep maintenance work throughout the hotel so this won´t be an issue during your next visit.

Bear in mind next time to book the courtesy room during the morning on your departure date. It is very difficult to manage this specially when we are fully booked and many people want to use a room in the afternoon at the same time.

Once again I am happy that you enjoyed Sol Lanzarote and we keep waiting to welcome you again very soon!

montrose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

stayed for 11nights all inclusive at the start of november 1st impression was a long wait to get checked in,paid for the safe at the time only to read leaflet in room to say the safe was free .when i went to reception i was told that was wrong and the leaflet was not updated.they started to charge the day before we arrived (not very satisfactory) the room was spacious and had a great view.no complaints there. the pool area was good with enough sunbeds although some were past there best and needed repaired or replaced. i have mixed wiews about the restuarant. sometimes excellent often good &often poor depending on the menu but i found it very repetative and not the hottest. the bar area could be a nightmare at times with the queueing the small glasses of beer did not help now and again you managed to get a pint and that made a difference there was a real lack of seating in the entertainment lounge .all in it was not a bad holiday the good weather compensated for the failings of the hotel . i think i can get better

Room Tip: go for a high sea view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jimmybMon, etc,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us. I regret to read that we could not meet your expectations on this occasion. My apologies on behalf of the whole team for any inconvenience caused during your stay.

I would like to point out that it is true our safe box started being rental since the 1st November, not uncommon here in Lanzarote. We took this decision for the big amount of problems we had in the past so that we can provide a better service from now on.

Thank you so much for all your comments and suggestions. I will share them with all the staff as I am sure we can improve, and I am sure you will notice in case you decide to come back to us in the future.

Receive our best regards,

limerick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Myself and my wife stayed here in september for our honeymoon on arrival we checked in and we were given a map to locate our apartment .it was 11 at nite and it was dark an there was no lights on.a security gaurd from reception eventually showed us were to go.the room was okay but our safe did not work our rep said she would get it sorted.this never happened.the cleaning lady never knocked on the door and just walked in on top of us on two occasions whilst we were asleep.at around 5 am on the saturday morning my wife woke to see a man standing at the end of our bed as he ran he stole her handbag and gifts we had bought.i rang reception and 10 minutes later a security gaurd arrived and told us he doesnt speek english and will get the night receptionist.this man arrived 20 mins later.we informed him of what happened and accused us of leaving the door open which we didnt.i told him to ring the police.20 mins later the police arrived to take a report.we had to go the police station to make a full report that day.we had to pay for our own interpreter which i would have thought the hotel would have payed for.on returning from the police station it took the hotel over an hour to get us a room in another part of the hotel.in the meantime my wifes handbag had been found at the tennis courts by a staff member.they eventually gave us a room overhead reception.the morning we wete leaving the manager spoke to us about what happened and promised us he would have a full investigation into the incident and would contact us by email.he never did and probably wont.we will never stay here again because of the way we were treated

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sollanzarote, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Lanzarote, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dearja103,

First of all our most sincere apologies for the delay and any misunderstanding between ourselves. Our insurance should have contacted you from the beginning and not the management as you were expecting. Once the case is in the hands of the insurance, the management of the hotel stay aside of the case. Nonetheless they have been advised about this and you should be contacted very shortly.

I regret to read that you did not found our staff to be helpful and friendly. Again our apologies for that.

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had a fantastic stay, everything was good and we would definitely visiy again given the chance.

Negative comments are the food options seem very random. For example brussels sprouts on xmas eve and boxing day, but not xmas day. No option for xmas dinner. Having chicken nuggets and chips for breakfast was strange. The signage above the food was very vague, for example "Cake", but what type of cake... also some foods were not labelled or labeled incorrectly.

The cereal was vile, either the cheapest Tesco value quality or UHT milk, either way I couldn't eat more than a mouthful.

My biggest issue was the wifi, no free option, very expensive and sooooo painfully slow. Dial up would have been faster. I really dislike paying a premium price for an almost unusable service. ..

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bensaund,

First of all thank you so much for your feedback. This is the type of information we learn from, but what is most important for us is that you had a fantastic stay with us willing to visit us again.

You cannot imagine how many people are likely to have nuggets and chips for breakfast. Nonetheless it is important to mention that the food selection we have available is very wide covering all different tastes.

It is true we do not offer special buffet for Xmas dinner as we focus mainly on our Gala Dinner during New Year´s Eve. Although on Xmas we organize a nice program of activities to have fun all day long. I am sure this contributed to your fantastic experience.

Once again thank you so much and we are waiting already to welcome you back!

Best regards,

york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

just returned from 2 weks holiday at Sol Lanzarote and i have been reading the iatest reviews, some i agree with and some i dont. The hotel couldnt have a better location its practically on the beach, and close to all bars and restaurants in the resort.This is a huge hotel and must be hard to keep clean but it was spotless, the cleaners deserve a medal for all their hard work, they worked non stop all day long so credit where its due. I also found most of the reception staff quite surly and its true, they could smile now and then it wouldnt hurt them.The entertainment team were great with the kids and i thought they worked very hard as did the dining room staff, I hope the manager appreciates what hard working staff he has. We had a room above the entrance to the hotel and it was freezing cold all day and night, my husband mentioned this to reception staff but got no joy. Although the room was cold it was very spacious and clean with towels changed every day.The one thing i do agree with is the cold food it was inedible most of the time, we were all inclusive and either had salad or ate out not one of my meals were hot and yes i found some chicken that was undercooked more than once.I have never been told there is a microwave to heat your meal at any other hotel ive stayed in.We had a wonderful holiday in Matagorda and would stay at this hotel again but not all inclusive,

Room Tip: Rooms above the entrance are very cold and get no sun at any time.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear patslass,
Thank you for your opinion about Sol Lanzarote. I am glad to know that despite some deficiencies you had a very nice experience with us. Thanks to your comments we will improve some of them. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations in regards to the food. Please note for future reference we always have cooks available behind the counter in case you wish to cook some food a bit more like the chicken mentioned on your review.
Nonetheless I will pass your comments to the heads of departments to take them into consideration.

In regards to the temperature of the room I have to say that nowhere here in Lanzarote is prepared for cold temperatures as the weather average throughout the year is 22 degrees. As an option there is always available the possibility to rent heating machines and we can provide contact details here at reception. I hope at least this option was offered to you.

On the other hand I would like to thank you very much for your comments on behalf of our cleaning staff as your recognition is very valuable for us.

We hope we can have you back very soon with us and give us another opportunity with our restaurant´s food. I am sure you will find it to your liking.

Our kindest regards,

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Sol Lanzarote? Share your experiences!