“What a day!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: French, Bistro, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: cuisine francaise familialespecialites et vins de Bourgognefrench family restaurantBurgundy wines and dishes
Homestead Florida
“What a day!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Before I begin the restaurant review, I want to suggest that you have the name and complete address and a picture of the El Marinero Restaurant printed out to give to your cab driver if you come from the port or downtown. Our cab driver told us he knew where it was, but tried several times to get us out of the cab in different locations in Puerto Del Carmen. It was a long frustrating and very expensive ride, as he stopped several times to talk to other cabbies, who also did not know, and the meter kept running. By the time we finally got there, I was ready to return to the ship, but I had promised my wife lunch there, so we went in.
And I am so glad we stayed!!!
I must say that the time we had at this delightful place made the trip there worthwhile. It was my fault I did not have the address, as hard as it was to admit to myself. But the ambiance, food and service, and the great family run experience trumped and erased my taxi experience!
Puerto Del Carmen is a gigantic tourist development that spreads for miles. EL Marinero is located up from the beach, with a nice view. It is on a corner, with an outside and inside dining area. The French family is much in evidence, the mother cooks, and can she cook!! The father runs the front and is helped by the children, who are young adults. These people want us to be happy! The menu was diverse and appealing, Between us, we had escargot,grilled sardines,a lamb dish and a beef dish. And local bread. And olives. And wine. And diet coke.
Portions were generous and extremely well cooked and presented.
Then came dessert. We both love chocolate mousse, and must admit we have had more than our share during our travels, but the mousse serve here was beyond fantastic. We ordered one to share, took one bite, and ordered another one, This has to be one of the best!
The place was not crowded, I have the feeling at night the place gets packed.
El Marinero is not a hoity-toity French place, with Baccarat and Limoge and white gloves, it is a sea view bistro and an excellent one at that. Would I return? In a heartbeat.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
sylv6751, Propriétaire at Restaurant El Marinero, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
thank you very much for your nice words.
we wish you an happy christmas ane new year
best regards
sylvette, serge et andrea

East Molesey, United Kingdom
“Monsieur Fawlty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Been to this restaurant 4 times over the last two trips. It is fantastically off the main drag so you get a nice pleasant peacefulness and although it was december and after dark, still warm enough to sit outside. The whitebait starter is so nice and done properly, ie not breaded. And then the steak was done brilliantly with some serious cognac in the sauce. I have to say Ive had the same meal each time which is only because its so nice. The owner, well, he is France's answer to Basil Fawlty and I dont mean that he's rude as such, but certainly a character. The first time we went past it was just opening so we asked for the menu to take away and peruse, and he gave us that look as if to say "Uuurrgh, CUSTOMERS!!". Perversely that made us determined to go and eat there and we are so glad we did. Each time he has been funnier, with the most recent time giving us his insight into the french economic problems. If they ever sell up this gem of a restaurant, he should run for Lanzarote Guvnor. To find this place, head down into the old town from the Biosfera and at the first crossroads turn left towards the sea, and you'll see this it on the left.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stockton on Tees
“Enjoyable meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Had read about this restaurant so we decided to give it a try, were a bit apprehensive when we got there and it was empty, however the food was delicious and the service very friendly.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant, good fresh food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Ate here one night during weeks hols.
Lovely little restraunt off the tourist track.
Fresh grilled sole with almond delicious,as was my partners sea bass with a french sryle herb sauce. Good value and service.
Recommended.
Eddie n Christine

Puerto Del Carmen, Spain
“Nice, but not sure we´ll be rushing back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Title says it all really. Used to come here years ago before it was taken over by the current owners and it has some very fond memories.

A little unfortunate that we were pretty much the only people in there for majority of our visit. Possibly explained the less than enthusiastic service. Nothing wrong with it, but a smile might have helped.

Foodwise, we shared a smoked salmon salad for starters which was beautifully presented with just a few quality ingredients. I then had the Rabbit and the wife a grilled chicken. The rabbit was lovely, although the carrots with it were rather watery and overcooked. The wifes chicken was rather dry and came with skinny chips. Overall, not what I would call a quality dish. You´d think she´d learn as we keep getting let down anytime she has chicken.

Price was reasonable coming in at just over 40 euro, including a bottle of wine and a bottle of water.

With so many great places to choose from, we shan´t be rushing back. Might be tempted to try their menu of the day which was advertised at 7.50.

• Visited September 2012