“Average and no better than most restaurants in PDC” 3 of 5 stars

+34 928 514154
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican, Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Description: A very popular 36 seat restaurant in the picturesque main street of the original fishing village of Puerto del Carmen with parking outside or in the recently renovated fishing port one street below.Open from 6pm each night, closed Wednesday.N.B. A dress code operates in this restaurant.
“Average and no better than most restaurants in PDC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

My review for this restaurant gets an all round average.
Having high expectations on how good this restaurant was meant to be probably didn't help.
Firstly may I point out that our party all dressed up for our visit as we were informed of the dress code, personally I would never wear shorts in a restaurant anyway, however on entering the restaurant the very first table of two (from Scotland) wearing shorts and vests, this wouldn't have been so bad but both were obese and should have been covered up. It was a quiet night in the restaurant so I'm guessing that their business must have been needed.
We ordered beer, modelo this was out of stock so ordered pacifico?
Our waitress was full of information which is nice for some diners but soon became patronising, the whole atmosphere of the restaurant seemed to be 'you know nothing about food so we will explain it all on laminated 'fact' sheets', tacky, these could be issued to customers on request?
Ordered a starter, just a light dish of chicken wings, onion rings, babyback ribs and a couple of nacho chips.
Onion rings should never be of the pre made frozen variety in my opinion, even I can cut up an onion and deep fry it in battered, this just makes the restaurant chefs look lazy, which I'm sure they not. Ribs lacked flavour, I doubt they were marinated and more likely just drizzled with BBQ sauce.
Ordered chicken mole as a main this was served with rice and refried beans, fantastic tasting chicken dish which I can thoroughly recommend.
My friend ordered a lamb stew, with pineapple and cactus. He didn't seem to be enjoying this so I tried a small amount, what I can say for sure was that the meat was not lamb, I work with meat for a living, I can tell by looking at a piece of meat what it is, this was beef, it didn't matter either way as the meal tasted bland. The third member of the group ordered fajitas (chicken) which they enjoyed, personally I have tasted much better. The sauces that accomplished this dish were amazing, guacamole was perfect.
To finish my meal I ordered chocolate brownies served with ice-cream which was enjoyable.
So the out come? A very average experience which was marginally better than the so called 'Mexican Patio Chiquito' on the main strip, which is rated #7 on TA.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Nice Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Been to this restaurant a few times now - have always had good food, and good service. Drinks are slightly overpriced. You need to be sure to get there early, and the last service is 9pm.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cork, Ireland
“fab food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We love this place. Food consistenly good. Great flavours and friendly staff. We will be back
Mag and Billy

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Lost it's roots?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was SO excited to eat at Emma's. Being from southern California, and having travelled Mexico, I couldn't wait to try out the delicious goodies I saw on an online menu. Alas, the menu changed. Upon arrival, we were given chips and chipotle sauce, which was nice. They also have Negro Modelo beer. Looking at the menu, we were disappointed to see chili con carne and RIBS! I know this doesn't seem like a big deal, but for a restaurant that claims to serve no Tex Mex it is a strange menu choice. The only tacos they have are lamb. The preparation looked excellent, but not eating lamb those were out. Nowhere in evidence were the pork pibil tacos. My friend ordered the fajitas, which were good but you can get those anywhere. When she requested corn tortillas instead of flour, they came out stale and inedible. After (finally) getting the waitress' attention we received some flour ones. I ordered the chicken mole, which I have to say was really good. When I asked for cotija cheese, the waitress had no idea what I was talking about, even though it was on the menu. Over all it was just, meh.

Visited January 2013
Manchester 40
“Authentic Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I'll be honest and start with the negatives, we always have trouble with Emma's due to us having a baby/buggy. I understand that the place is small and intimate, but PDC is such a child friendly place it's a shame we have the feeling that they don't really want us there.

I walked to the old town to book us in on a late January afternoon, I asked for an 8 o'clock table and Emma's first question was "will the baby be noisy and upset my customers?" Once I told her that my little girl sleeps at about 7.30 she was absolutely fine.

So, the positives: The food is very, very good. I love spicy food so had the fiery chili roja that was cooked with real chunks of beef, it was beautiful and easily better than the standard restaurants where we were staying. The wife had enchilladas and they were equally perfect. My 10 year old had the kids enchilladas too which she polished off and loved it. The house red was 11 Euro (I think) and was the joint best one we had in our 3 weeks in PDC.

The overall bill with a nachos starter, 2 adult mains, 1 childs, a bottle of red, and a bottle of water was under 50 Euro. Great value for lovely food.

If I was to sum up Emma's I would say it's amongst the best restaurants in PDC food wise, just a bit more TL for those with a buggy.

• Visited January 2013