“Not a nice experience” 1 of 5 stars

Calle Varadero s/n | Old Town, Puerto Del Carmen, Lanzarote, Spain
+34 928 511377
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Stockport,England
“Not a nice experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Oh dear .. very dissapointed. I love fish and this looked the place where they might know how to cook it. After being told what was fresh that day, barracuda and sea bass, my wife and I decided to try one of each. The waiter was keen to tell us that it is all filleted for us and NO BONES ! Not that we were worried, there will always be some to pick out. So then the bass arrives unfilleted, with a plate to put the bones on! Why bother going on about it being no bones if then you dont bother? . And then the barracuda ... it simply wasnt cooked, and raw in the middle as if it had come out of the freezer. So much for being fresh. So I sent it back. 2 minutes later the plate is back .. hang on, I had four fillets of fish, and only 3 return, and those 3 look like they have just been toasted. I just want to leave the place now, but I try to eat only to find the canarian potatoes are all mushy inside, like they are yesterdays and have been microwaved. How can they screw up the national dish? So bad meal, bad vibe, happily had much better meals else where, don't touch it with a barge pole.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“This is THE restaurant for fish lovers.yum yum..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

La Lonja is the best place in Puerto del carmen if you like fish.or tapas, the staff are very friendly and will even show you the fish before they cook it for you . As it's only a stone's throw from the sea, the fish is VERY fresh. The atmosphere is very relaxed & the paella is wonderful. I would say to those moaners who complain about the steaks or veg. This is a Fish and Tapas bar,if you want a steak go to a specialist steak restaurant. This is a place frequented by locals as well as tourists..and the locals know where the best places are.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Oh dear, a sad day for cuisine.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

I tried to give as many restaurants a crack at the whip during my stay. On this occasion the remit was straightforward: fillet steak (medium), no veg or chips. Just salad.
The salad resembled something that had been diced to death... Coleslaw without the mayo! Never before have I had a steak presented very well done on the outside and raw on the inside! I seem to have been the recipient of a steak previously started in error, frozen to avoid waste, then defrosted in the microwave before being thrown on the griddle to reheat. This, I am told, is common practise in some establishments. At £10 for a fillet this was a severe let down.
My advice...... Walk on by and spend your time and money elesewhere. Unfortunately I've had to give the food a score of one.... Only deserved as it was an attempt at cooking. However, my 4 year old neice could have done better!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Under estimated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

For people to review la lonja and say its old and the services terrible. Obviously do not understand the true. Canarian culture. This Is not your typical Spanglish tapas bar.... This is a Canarian tapas bar where the Canarians from old town always go, taxi drivers,tired old dears and even the youngw people. This tapas bar is one of the best on the ireland for canaria food. The staff when you get to know them are lovely people. Years image been going back, I am welcomed every time. Give the place a chance. Cheap cheerful, nice food.. Nice wine and beer and tapas is fantastic. Give it a try!!you don't like it you can always move on, not the end of the world. :)

Dublin, Ireland
“Great value tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

While waiting for my wife,my son and I decided to have a coffee and some tapas on a beautiful Sunday morning.
We had a bowl of octopus,with some lovely crusty bread and 2 coffees for E5.10...for nothing.It was lovely.Thats not 5.10 each...5.10 the lot !
I have eaten in this restaurant on a few occasions and found it to be just ok but their tapas at the bar(where the locals sit) and a beer or a coffee, I have always found to be good and very good value.

• Visited May 2012