“Sun, sand and quiet time” 4 of 5 stars

Acuaverde Beach Resort & Hotel
| Next to Acuatico, Laiya, San Juan, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Laiya B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“Sun, sand and quiet time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

First of all, I LOVE the place. Despite the ongoing construction at the far end of the resort. We tried to book a room online but it says it is not available, both my husband and I got worried it must be booked but when we arrived there are still rooms. So its funny we cant make reservations.

We arrived on a Monday - and it must be everybody was on rest day from the weekend. Coz when we arrived the place needs some sweeping. At first we thought its expensive for a place that needs sweeping and with ongoing construction but the package includes full breakfast, dinner and lunch so it is worth the cost. The package was created to make your stay worry-free literally eat-sleep and relax. This is a new resort so the rooms, building and ammenities are fairly new. We had our buffet dinner and breakfast at Acuatico, sister resort of Acuaverde. We had our lunch in Acuaverde and food is equally great. You have many choices in the buffet meal and you can opt for the menu if you dont feel eating the food in the buffet. Both places are great.

If you want peace and quiet, Acuaverde is the place to be. Dont look for a pool - which is great coz you wont hear the noise of kids. Any other fancy ammenities are all available in Acuatico. They do have the basic kayak and other beach games. We had few drinks by the bar and the staff are friendly and accomodating. We went back to the beach and stayed at the cabannas. There are no noise coming from the neighboring resort and also from the bar so you will have peaceful time listening to the beach - maybe because it's not a week end. We also stayed outside before turning in for the night.

The sand is not fine but still white, it is worth bringing sandals when you walk by the beach. Safety was made sure too - there were security guards visibile which gives me an assurance that we are taken cared of. There were some vendors peddling shells, pearls but not as aggressive as the ones you see in Puerto Galera.

I wish there were phones available in the room so i can easily ask for room service. Internet is available via WiFi but did not reach our room so we had to sit outside or by the balcony.

Overall, I had some quiet time with my new husband. They were able to really define the word quality in terms of service.

Room Tip: I would have stayed in Casa Laiya - rooms in front of the beach but there is an ongoing construction...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cherry Grove, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife surprised me with a one night getaway to Acuaverde for the night of October 22, 2012 (only our second night away together in 4 years). This turned out to be the closest thing to my most ideal romantic getaway yet! I'll preface my review by stating that I am Canadian, my wife is Filipina. My review will blend points from the local and foreign perspective.

*** Getting to Acuaverde ***

Trip is as indicated. About 2.5 hours. However, this is from the entrance to SLEX. Remember to add the time it takes you to get out of the city (took us over 2.5 hours just to get out of Manila). Directions on the website were not too bad, but could be problematic for foreigners. Remember, there are not necessarily sign posts indicating directions to towns, etc. An example is the directions state to make a turn on P. Torres St. This is a narrow little street and very easy to miss unless you are watching. There are almost NO signs for Acuaverde until the last couple of kilometers, and those are small and some damaged. Just focus on getting to Playa Laiya and it's just past. Once you reach the "empty parking lot" entry in the directions, realize that this is just an open grassy field (not what a foreigner would identify as a parking lot) with a single lane dirt road that leads to some rough looking houses. Make a HARD right turn (difficult in anything but a small car) when you get to the buildings. This will leave you staring at a closed gate. Just pull up the to the gate (security is located on the other side).

*** First impressions ***

The resort is a small resort, but what you will notice is the trees and "natural" feel of the resort. Great ambiance. The staff were all wearing big smiles, and very inviting. We were met at our parked vehicle by a staff member who helped carry our bags to the reception area. The check in process was very fast. We were given a sheet that outlined all the important information about the resort and were on our way to our room within minutes.

The reason I gave this review only 4 stars is because of what we encountered right after arriving. We were taken to our room, but the staff member advised that we may want to look at another room, as they are currently undergoing construction. Currently the site has 16 rooms, but they are expanding to 20+ rooms (70 guests). The bar is being worked on, and the recreation area has been relocated to the reception area (has most of their normal rec gear except darts seemed missing) and reception has been moved into one of the day cabanas. The construction noises weren't crazy, but they were loud at times (we are pretty easy going and didn't find it impacted us really at all, but for those sensitive to noise, it would likely be annoying). We opted to take a room on the other side of the resort. We were fine with the room change and it did lessen the construction noises. What was interesting is that the room we took to avoid the construction noises we a "downgrade", yet the staff member did not offer to comp anything to make up for the downgrade, which I believe would have been appropriate.

The rooms are very simple, yet VERY clean. Double bed, LCD TV with cable, wall mount air con, sink, toilet and shower. 2 bottles of complimentary water. We also had a balcony with two chairs and a small table and a beautiful view of the resort and the ocean. Perfect for those who plan to spend most of their time outside!

We immediately headed out to the beach area. It was exactly like in the pictures. Two styles of sun loungers are located along the beach front (I love the canopied ones). The sand is very well groomed. It is course sand though, so if your feet are sensitive, bring sand shoes. The water was wonderfully warm and there are no large rocks or reefs. The depth get deep fairly quickly, but is a decent grade and there is enough shallows for children to play in. We grabbed a kayak and headed to the water. Kayaks are well maintained (the paddles need some repair) and the life jackets are well maintained. A staff member helped us get into the water, while a guard watched our things. There were only a few people sellings things on the beach, and they were very respectful if you didn't want to purchase anything. When we returned, our welcome drinks were waiting for us in the shade near our lounger.

We spent the afternoon on the beach. Before supper we went to the bar for a drink. Jay-R (bartender, waiter, and all around good guy) was very friendly, however, the bar was not stocked very well. Daiquiri and margarita were out. He made a fantastic pina colada, however, it did take two trips from the bar to the kitchen to get supplies. He asked us what time we would like our supper. During low occupancy periods (less than 20 guests) they switch to a plated menu with the option to "upgrade" and go to the sister site of Aquatico. We opted to try their plated meal. After our drink, he came and let us know that our supper was ready. We headed to the restaurant, which is on the second floor of the main building. It has a beautiful aviary in the middle. Our supper was FANTASTIC. We had a starter oriental soup, followed by the main course of crab, bbq pork chops, fried rice and vegetables. Desert was a chocolate and fruit treat.

After supper, I took advantage of the beach massage. The therapists are located at Aquatico, however, I simply asked Jay-R and he coordinated everything, so she arrived just as we were finishing up supper. Turned out to be one of the best massages I have ever had. They bring a massage table right out to the beach. Stars shining, breeze blowing, waves crashing. Great! Cost was 650php (which is really steep compared to a massage in the city), but well worth it. The staff then brought out a bunch of wood and set up a bonfire on the beach. Sitting on the loungers and watching the bonfire is excellent. We did hear someone singing really bad/loud karaoke next door, but it wasn't enough to dampen the ambiance.

The only other "negative", other than the construction, was the following morning when at 8:20am someone tried to get into our room. Freaked us out a bit, only to find out that it was housekeeping, who hadn't announced himself, just started opening the door. The resort doesn't have "do not disturb" door hangers, so I'm not sure how you can avoid this early morning interruption.

Breakfast (which we selected the night before from two options - Filipino or American...we chose American) was scrambled egg, bacon, ham, toast, dragon fruit, and banana. It was very good. While we were having breakfast, Jay-R came to notify us that we had a flat tire on our vehicle. We don't have a jack, so we thought we were hooped. However, Jay-R, another staff and a security guard took care of EVERYTHING for us. They were fantastic. Really went above and beyond.

We spent more time at the beach. There are various optional water sports available. Kayaking is free, but there are sea-doo rentals, banana boat rides, snorkeling, etc.

Checkout is at noon, and lunch is from noon-2pm, so we decided to have our lunch just after checkout. Checkout was very quick, less than 2 minutes. We expected lunch to be a light meal, however, it turned out to be soup, battered fish, chicken afridada, rice, vegetables, grapes, and watermelon. Very filling.

*** Does it match marketing materials ***

If you visit the website, what you see is pretty much what you get. I was very pleased with how closely this matched their materials. The only thing not reflected is the ongoing construction. In a sense, I am sad that they are expanding the site, as I feel that the size right now is perfect and the increase in guests will erode a bit of the magic of Acuaverde. However, this is an excellent getaway.

Overall, this is a great resort. Beautiful site, amazing beach, great staff, and tasty food. Other than the construction there really wasn't anything wrong with the trip. It was great!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Makati City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Acuaverde:

This is my second time in Laiya but this time I’m here for business and somewhat on a tight budget.. Before I arrived here, I spent the afternoon visiting various resorts around the area, Virgin Beach Resort, Estrellas De Mendoza, Blue Coral, Sabangan, La Luz, to name a few. I found them all over priced and overpopulated. So I decided to go on my first choice which is acuaverde which cost me P6,750 per night inclusive of food- three meals a day. The resort is new, well a year old It’s sister resort Acuatico is right beside it but I think I prefer this since there are less people. Unlike Acuatico, there is no pool here. Only a bar with a ping pong table, foosball, air hockey, and darts- and also a videoke machine but I don’t know if it’s working. The rooms are nice and you get a view of the ocean if you stay in the Casa Laiya room. If the resort is empty ask for an upgrade or a discount for the better room, and if they don’t give you one then they don’t know how to take care of their guests and you should leave. The food is ok. They usually send you to Acuatico for your meals which is great because the food there is good and you get it as part of your room.

Is it worth it? Yes. It’s a good deal for a good resort in the area. Will I come back? If I’m in Laiya, I’ll definitely stay here. Sorry I haven’t uploaded photos yet. Also, were here on a weekend, it’s rather packed but not as bad as Acuatico and theres more space to roam around.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

When we first arrived, we fell in love with the place. It was absolutely beautiful and we took lots of pictures. Then in the mid afternoon the music started at one of the neighboring resorts. Shortly thereafter music started at the resort on the opposite side. At first it was bearable but then it became gradually louder. It was impossible to find a place where there was any form of peace and quiet.

We had lunch in the restaurant where the food was on but it's not that hard to boil some noodles and pour cream of mushroom soup on it and call it a meal. Service was slow because the place was understaffed and it looked like one of the waiters was in training. to wipe the tables they just smeared the comdensation from the glasses which were on the glass tabletops all over the entire surface thus making it a huge dirty smudge. The dinner wasn't much better there was some kind of fish which was somewhat rubbery and two chicken thighs with a type of vegetable medley. Out of the whole dinner the best things were the rice and fruit salad, which isn't saying much.

While trying to eat and ignore the brain pounding bass from the music at the parties next door they had fireworks which were no more than 100 meters from where we were eating. Mind you that all of the places for lodging have a thatch roof which is a huge fire hazard if one stray amber from the fireworks were to land one one it would be a big mess.I had my two year old daughter with me and it scared the living hell out her. It was to the point she was shaking in fear. I took her to our room hoping that may help but the sound was only muffled a bit. Both parites had fireworks and music which finally ended by the grace of God, at 11pm.

My wife was gewtting to go out the door to check on her mother and brother who joined us when a drunk member of one of the wedding parties tried to come into our room. I jumped up and comfronted him before he was able to enter. I thought it may have been someone trying to break into the room and didn't see security anywhere around. It turns out that they were both on the beach but one should have been stationed on the beach and the other stationed in the common area of the facilities. The guy was quite inebriated and lost finally someone came and assisted him after hearing me shouting at him because I didn't know of the person's intent as my wife and child were in the room as well.

I wanted to leave at 8pm and I didn't care about how long it would take to get home because I just wanted to be able to relax and have peace and quiet.

Thankfully the management comp'd everything but money can't buy back the time wasted driving there and back, the total lack of peace and rest, and a day wasted from five lives.

All of this could have been averted if the person taking the reservation had simply told us about the possibility of fareworks, loud music and loud music all day.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Once inside the gate of the resort we were pleasantly surprised at how pretty it was. The sand was raked, not a twig on the ground, tasty welcome drinks and very helpful staff. The rooms are simple, comfortable and have the basics, but don't expect a gift shop with snacks or magazines. We did bring a few snacks luckily (I recommend it especially if you're a picky eater). The buffet was small but good, for a resort with 16 rooms I guess it's about the right variety, 2 meat dishes and 2 vegetarian.

If you're feet aren't used to the pebbly beaches you might want bring a pair of those water shoes, our feet did get sore from the coarseness of the sand. But the loungers were comfy, the cabanas were great, and they built a fire on the beach after dinner for guests to relax, a nice touch since there's not much else in the area to do.

This resort was perfect for a quick Manila getaway. They were truly pet-friendly, our dog had a blast. I second the other reviewer about beach vendors, both that they will pop by but also that if you say no, they simply move on.

Regarding the massages, a little disappointed they are done on your bed if you chose indoor as opposed to beach, there isn't a massage table so it was a bit less enjoyable than we would have hoped, although the massage itself was good.

I cannot say enough about how professional, polite, helpful and nice each and every single employee at Acuaverde was. Would return for sure.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Acuaverde was a pleasant retreat from our 2 weeks of business in Manila. Nice beach and lovely, minimalist cabanas. The food is buffet and ok, breakfast choices limited for the North American palate. Vendors can be annoying on the beach, but will scram at the first site (or mention) of security. Friends bough their dog along.

Get one of their in room massages.

Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Maastricht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Our family of 9 stayed at the 3 new rooms of Acuaverde and we're impressed by the beauty of the resort. The rooms are clean, stylish, new and have modern facilities. The warm shower is soothing after a swim in the salt sea water. The clean, nice bed sheets and mattress guarantee you a good night sleep. I personally liked nature-style of the resort, with bamboo and natural products used everywhere on the decoration of the huts and the rooms. You can see that they paid attention to the details of decorating the rooms.The dinner included in the accomodation was delish, my little toddler even got his own plate of fish tempura with dips and he was satisfied with it. He was also entertained by the big eagle in the aviatory in the middle of the restaurant while waiting for our dinner. The staff were helpful and attentive. We had our breakfast buffet at sister resort Acuatico and it was a fulfilling breakfast. We booked this resort because Acuatico was already fully booked but after our stay we can say that this resort can easily compete with Acuatico, specially if they will have their own swimming pool. The beach nevertheless is wide and inviting, and they have more space and doesn't feel cramped unlike Acuatico.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at Acuaverde and we might stay here again in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Acuaverde Beach Resort & Hotel? Share your experiences!