“My favorite beach front getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clam Digger Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pine Knoll Shores
Clam Digger Inn
You added Clam Digger Inn to your Saves list
511 Salter Path Road, PO Box 846, Pine Knoll Shores, NC 28512   |
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
“My favorite beach front getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've been coming here since it was a Ramada and it seems to get better over time. It's small, all the rooms are oceanfront with balconies, the restaurant has some of the best seafood around and a bar that's cozy and usually quiet. The lunch specials save you the trouble of getting out to find a meal and the value is excellent. The sandwiches were just delicious, The wifi signal was strong, but a little slow. Because of it;s location and distance from the more commercial areas, foot traffic on the beach itself is minimal which I liked.

I'm disabled so access is a big concern. The handicapped room had a tub (low) instead of a shower, but grab bars surrounded the entire room with a roll under sink and high toilet.

Because of the large bathroom, it's a little tight on that side of the bed so solo disabled travelers may have a little trouble getting around that corner and in the room doorway. Plus the room doors are a little sticky and difficult to open. Otherwise, access in the hotel, pool area, bar, restaurant and tiki bar is flat with no steps.

And the price is great too, off-season and on. A little gem awaits you here.

Room Tip: Since the Sheraton up the road has closed, they're booking more meeting space than before so you...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Wayne B

Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

If all it takes to satisfy you is a low priced, clean room on the beach, this hotel will suit you perfectly. For business, it will do just fine, if you don't need effective WiFi. I have 48 different hotel properties on my "connect to" list, and this is the worst I have ever attempted to use. Slow ... to timing out ... not good. The beds are hard as rocks. Pillows so-so. I don't smoke, but I was offended having to sign a statement NOT to smoke not only in the room, but also on balcony ... yes, before registering you sign a statement not to smoke on the room balcony. I know this will please the majority, To me, this is over-reach, so smokers stay away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Greenville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband surprised me with a stay here for my birthday. It was the perfect beach get-a-way.

As others have mentioned the hotel is dated, however at the beach unless you knock down and start over things will not be as "crisp." With that being said, they do not charge outlandish prices either.

This is a ocean side, ocean front hotel, with all ocean front rooms. The bed was comfy, room was clean and for an older hotel the hotel worked well (sometimes they are ultra slow) They have a pool, with hot tub, private beach, lounge that has weekly DJ's and specials, and best of all, the Clam Digger Restaurant.

We had 4 meals during our stay. The menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner are different enough that you can go back over and over. The food was wonderful and prices were great for being at the beach at a convenient location.

Room Tip: We were in 718 and I loved being up and away from everything....good view, but I dont know that ther...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank creekbrat
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is one of the few properties in the area where the hotel is located with a true Oceanfront view. You could not ask for a more spectacular view of the ocean or to be any closer. All of the rooms are Oceanfront. The hotel met every expectation for the price range that it is in.

Yes, it is a little dated - however, for the rate you could not ask for more. The rooms are very clean and even though I had my "Privacy Please" sign on the door, housekeeping went above and beyond the call of duty - leaving all of the necessary replacement towels and supplies on the door. In all of my years of traveling, I have never seen such a courtesy.

I would suggest bringing your own pillows, which I always do anyway - just a personal preference because I like a really full, fluffy, soft pillow. The stock pillows were a little flat for my taste, but again that's just me being particular.

I did not get particularly good mobile phone signal inside the room, but it was okay. I was also never able to successfully connect to the free Wi-Fi from my room which was a little frustrating, but again - I was okay with it. The extremely awesome rate more than made up for the technology/connectivity.

Also, be advised that in the restaurant that they are not very accommodating to special requests or thinking outside of the box to ensure that the customer has their food exactly the way they like it - but again, not a big deal for me.

Overall - this is the perfect inexpensive, no frills, on a budget beach getaway that I would highly recommend! Thank you to all the staff of the Clam Digger Inn.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows if you like a soft, fluffy, full pillow.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank PromenadeDeck
SE USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We live nearby and always wanted to try one of their room/meal off-season deals. This weekend we finally did. And it was fun. First of all, the rooms have great ocean views--it feels almost like being on a boat. Watching the sea change colors and all the activities n the beach beats TV! Our room was fine, the bed comfy and the linens soft. Even the pillows were nice--the the usual rocks they give you.

For our two dinners, we went for the steak and it was fine...the micro-waved taters were the usual limp ones you expect, the house salad was nice. But the restaurant shines at breakfast. Our ham and cheese omelets tasted home-made, the taters ditto, nice and crisp, the biscuits almost floated off the plate they were so light--and the coffee was good and strong and our sweet waitress kept our cups topped off.

It was fun to play tourist in our own backyard...we got in two long beach walks, some reading on the supplied chaise lounges, a walk in the maritime forest behind the nearby aquarium (no fee required), a visit to Fort Macon--don't miss the new visitors center displays and film--and had a superb lunch at nearby Crab's Claw.

I must commend each staff person we came in contact with--all were friendly, out-going, helpful and just downright nice folks. We'll come back next year for a winter ocean getaway. I like The Clam Digger Inn...it's the way beach hotels used to be before they got all slick and corporate...down home friendly rules here.

Room Tip: We had a two-bed double on the fifth floor and were happy with it
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GallopingGringa
Clarksville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I attended a conference at the Clam Digger Inn. The hotel was incredibly accommodating to the needs and special requests of the conference attendees. I was very impressed by that. We had a very unique group. The rooms and facilities were clean but extremely dated. The beach access and views were perfect. Overall, our stay was good. The hotel itself was quiet. The staff was friendly. The restaurant was good for breakfast, but the other meals were hit or miss (we ate off property the rest of the time). However, the location to other area attractions was perfect. It was a decent stay for the amount of money we paid for our room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
McLeansboro, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

This is our second stay at the Clamdigger in Atlantic Beach NC. 1st time was in October 2011 and now March 2013. Our son is stationed at Cherry Point NC so we vacation with a purpose. We love that all rooms have ocean views and direct access to the beach. Rooms are nice, bathrooms are small but we really don't spend a lot of time in the room. Every room has a balcony which we love sitting and watching the ocean. Off season prices are great. Restuarant is okay little over priced. Location is great for beach lovers but a small drive to shopping and restuarants.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Knoll Shores
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Atlantis Lodge
Atlantis Lodge
#1 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
5.0 of 5 stars 344 reviews

Been to Clam Digger Inn? Share your experiences!