“Pure Island Bliss” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 stars 703 Reviews
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“Pure Island Bliss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We were recommended to visit this island. We were are so glad we did! It is a tropical island paradise. We stayed in a pool Villa which was just steps from the ocean. The room was lovely. Everything you expect in an island resort. This is a place to go just to relax. Joe and his team were amazing hosts. Nothing was too much trouble. I recommend sitting by the bar and the beach and sipping on cocktails. The Thai cooking class with our own chef and just the two of us was amazing. We would love to come back one day!

Room Tip: I recommend booking a pool villa. Nothing beats having your own pool right at your balcony door.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Paradise_Koh_Yao, General Manager at The Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Andrew M

Thank you very much for your lovely and helpful review on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you really enjoyed your stay at the Paradise Koh Yao and liked to attend the cooking classes and having a drink at the beach bar and were glad to host you.

We wish you many fond memories from the Paradise and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards,

Yanni Classeen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Just returned from an 8 night stay at the Paradise and having travelled and stayed in many places and varieties of accommodation in Asia, I can easily say that this was the best on every level.

Firstly, this is the place for you if you are looking for authentic and truly relaxing tropical island seclusion. The hotel provides some discrete, low key entertainment in the evening and long tail trips to the mainland for shopping but other than this, there is no shopping or nightlife. For us, this was a real positive but if you are wanting haggling, hustle bustle tourist experience, rethink your location.

The resort is situated on a beautiful beach looking out towards other islands with a jungle hillside behind. What the hotel does really well is allow you to feel you are staying very close to all the beautiful nature this obviously brings at the same time as being extremely well looked after and experiencing none of the discomforts you might expect from such island seclusion. Alongside the scenery, a true highlight for us was all the amazing wildlife. The fact that you couldn't go outside without hearing cicadas and tropical bird song, watching hornbills, egrets, sea eagles fly across the sky and all manner of amazing lizards scuttling around was not only amazing to experience but indicates what minimal environmental impact the resort has on it's immediate surroundings. The beach itself was unbelievable beautiful and unspoilt. When the tide was high, dipping in and out of the warm sea was lovely. When it was low, exploring the shore line and using the pool to cool down was a great alternative.

Our room was extremely clean and comfortable. We stayed in a deluxe plunge pool villa and the distance up the hill gave privacy and an astounding view across the bay. A highlight for us was drinking coffee in bed in the morning and watching the sunrise over the sea. The housekeeping was very efficient; coffee and drinking water topped up and room cleaning each morning with the room being turned down (including mosquito net and daily newsletter with weather and tide times) each evening.

The breakfast buffet was excellent in quality and variety and the delicious food we ate in the onsite restaurant was well prepared using fresh local ingredients. Being vegetarian was not a problem as there was a whole page of vegetarian and another of vegan dishes and when ordering from these, staff were quick to ask if I was in fact vegetarian and mark this on the order. This gave me confidence that the shrimp paste etc that is commonly used in most Thai cooking would be left out. We only ate Thai whilst there but what we saw of the western menu looked very good also. Yes, as mentioned in other reviews, the food prices were high for Thailand; however I do think the distance from the mainland and the costs and difficulties of transporting supplies over to the island must be considered and are well paying for when the quality and variety of food is considered.

During our stay we went on 3 trips organised by the hotel: sunset village tour, snorkelling and kayaking. All were well worth the price, again high for Thailand but you are paying for the quality of the experience and personalised attention to detail. We were exceptionally well looked after by the staff who gave us options and adjusted activities to our preferences. For the two day trips we took, the packed lunch provided was delicious and great care was taken to set us up with a picnic blanket in a quiet and shady place with amazing views. On the snorkelling trip, we were the only 2 people and we're given space to sunbath on the deck of the long tail boat whilst being taking from snorkel site to snorkel site. This was one of my best ever holiday experiences and will stay with me for a long time to come. The other activity we took part in was Yoga on the beach. We did both morning and evening classes. The surroundings and excellent instruction meant that both my partner who has no yoga experience and myself who has, thoroughly enjoyed the classes.

Finally, I have to say that the overwhelming strength to this resort and the underpin to everything were the amazing staff. We did not encounter anyone who was not smiling, warm and professional and willing to go completely out of their way to personally make sure our stay was absolutely perfect. We had an incredible stay in "paradise" and as long as you've researched where you are staying and this fits what you want from your holiday and priced up to budget before you go (the website is very good for this) I can't recommend the resort highly enough!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paradise_Koh_Yao, General Manager at The Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear MichelleBrighton

Thank you very much for your lovely and helpful review on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and were glad to host you. It's great to read how much you liked our facilities, view and food.

We wish you many fond memories of your stay with us and hope to welcome you back at The Paradise in the near future.

Best Regards,

Australian in New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We have just come back from 5 nights in Paradise. We had a plunge pool villa on the hillside with the most incredible view. It was private, quiet, spacious and did I mention the view?? I have about 1000 photos of the view if anyone is interested. Koh Yao Noi has been on our radar for a while as we have been exploring the Thai Islands and I always wondered whether it might be too quiet or we might be bored but I am so glad we finally made it as it is one of the most beautiful places we have visited. It is restful and quiet but there is plenty to do. The island is as yet unspoilt but progress is on its way with quite a bit of building happening at the other end of the island. In fact one of the local restaurant owners told us that there are currently 5 resorts being built.
Paradise itself was wonderful. The staff were attentive and very friendly. We loved the vibe here. The other guests were also open to a chat and it had a good mix of Australians and European guests. The food was great. We tried the seafood buffet which was so good. I would highly recommend it if offered. We also went to the Thai buffet which was also very good. We had a problem with our meal order one night (it was misplaced) so the next night they gave us our entire meal for free including drinks. Very professional and I think they appreciated our courtesy in return when things went wrong rather than throwing a big tantrum! I tried the spa on quite a few occasions and had some of the best massages ever. Khun Wa and Khun Sa are just wonderful. The spa also seem to have quite a few specials for you to take advantage of as well. My husband took advantage of the yoga with Elaine and throughly enjoyed it. We did the kayak tour through the hotel and it was excellent. It was just my husband and myself with three staff (boat driver, boat driver assistant and guide). They took us to some incredibly beautiful places before having lunch at a private beach. While their English wasn't great enough to get much info about what we were seeing, they were very helpful and courteous. We didn't try the road which has been the topic of much conversation. We went to the next pier round from the resort on the staff boat (300B return each) and then hired a motorbike from the pier to travel around the island. We did the transfers through the hotel. While expensive, it was very easy and straightforward. A quick mention for the beds... these are hard, even for Thai beds. I ended up with two toppers and the foam mattress off the day bed! Slept really well then!! I definitely would recommend Paradise. Whilst its not a luxurious 5 star resort like some we have stayed in, it is a really lovely 4+ star with that real Robinson Crusoe feel. You are definitely on a tropical island escape here

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paradise_Koh_Yao, General Manager at The Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear travelbunny,

Thank you very much for your lovely words here on Tripadvisor, we very much appreciate your helpful feedback.

It is great to read how much you enjoyed our facilities, food, views, excursions and the treatments in our spa.

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Worst holiday of my life.
We booked to stay in the the spa villa was meant to.be beautiful romantic have lively views but you had to walk literally a km up winding paths uphill to get to it. It was up the back if the property where construction was taking place so was sooo noisy and not peaceful at all. We asked to ve moved and the staff were not accommodating and we paid to shift to a different villa closer to the amenities. The next villa had its problems too. There was a bees nest in the bathroom and a monitor lizard that had a nest under the villa, the entrance to which was right outside the back door so we were too scared to go outside as it kept creeping out.
The sand at the beach felt dirty. The activities were more expensive than they would be back home. Food was more.expensive than eating back home.
To top it off we got food poisoning. There are two restaurants to eat at on the island and they are both part of the hotel. My partner and I ate from the restaurants and ended up vomiting etc and we're bed bound for 2 days straight. When we told the hotel they said we must have eaten somewhere else and gotten sick. We couldn't have THERE'S ONLY THEIR RESTAURANTS TO EAT AT! TheY were not helpful or sympathetic at all. We decided to leave. Sacrifice the money we had spent and cut the holiday short by an entire week. On the boat right back to the main land everyone on the boat was complaining of food poisoning.
Worst holiday ever. Would not recommend. Poor food, bad accommodation, and worst of bad service! I was treated so poorly I will.never visit Thailand ever again! Save your money. Holiday elsewhere.l

• Stayed June 2013
Dear CritiqueSophie,

I have a problem with this review, there are so many incorrect claims on it that I think it could be a fake feedback.
In the first place resort has no spa villas up the hill, they are all situated on the beach front, we had no construction in the resort during the period May to October 2013.
We are a nature resort surrounded by the National Park and we do have Monitor lizards that live in the resort, they are tame and are harmless and live off worms and frogs. We have no report on record of any bees in any of the rooms during the period mentioned, and should they try to move in they are removed immediately. I do not understand your claim that the beach feels dirty? but then I would assume you have to write all kinds of rubbish to enhance your ridiculous claims.

If you think our activities and food are more expensive than in Australia, then I am afraid that you must be living in a fools paradise, our prices do not come close to Australian prices.
The resort has 2 restaurants the Seafood Terrace is open from 7.30am till 11pm everyday and serves both Thai and western food, the Alfresco opens from 7pm to 11pm every day and serves imported dishes and is slightly more expensive that the Seafood Terrace. We also have the pool bar where you can light snacks during the day and is open from 11am until 5pm.
The island also has many restaurants to choose from where you can have a meal. so your claim is absolute rubbish.
As per your claim about food poisoning, there was an outbreak of the Noro virus in Melbourne last year during the winter months and it was brought in by the Australian tourists, and was rampant all over Southern Thailand. The virus lasts 24 hours and is airborne, We have taken all precautions to prevent it spreading but as it is airborne there is not much that any of the hotels can or could do when it hits.

lastly we have no record of an early check out for the period that you claim to have been here.

kind regards
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at Paradise for seven wonderful nights from 1st-8th April. I was travelling with my mother who is 94. Not really sure where to start as everyone & everything was simply amazing.
Firstly the staff are the best I have come across. They all helped my Mother whenever needed or even when not needed lol.
The resort its self is beautiful very natural surrounding you cannot even notice the resort until you are almost at the pier.It is blended into the natural surrounding landscape. We had a pool villa 121, amazing very spacious & oh what a view, laying in bed looking at the pool, gardens & the Andaman sea. It was perfect for my Mother who could walk a few steps to the pool or a few more & she could swim safely in the sea.
The pool villa is equipped with everything you will need & more, coffee machine was a good start to the mornings. Pool was attended to twice a day by Hood. Our villas was cleaned by Som who I had a few conversations with she didn't speak much english but we managed to find out she has five children & their ages, I got a map of Koh Yao noi & asked her to show me where she lived, it was so lovely to find out about this lovely lady, oh & she always left our villa looking so clean & neat.
The breakfasts are the best in the world, the restaurant is very nice as well & yes it is a bit more pricey than other parts of Thailand but you need to remember where you are. We had a Thai Buffet night, a Seafood Buffet, a Curry Buffet & my favourite was Wok Buffet. The staff in the restaurant were extremely friendly, I also noticed a huge improvement in the english spoken from my previous stay last year. Well done to all.I have tried to remember staff members names Oz, Jack, Might, Sharnee, Yayee, Pan & Pu omelette lady, sorry if I missed anyone.
The beach bar is a lovely place to have pre dinner drinks or a night cap, had lovely night there & thanks to Joop lovely little bar man. Was lucky enough to see Khun Tiger sing again, what a lovely man & I personally love his unique way of singing. I must mention on the Sunday night when he was singing some "yacht people" came & took over the beach bar & were making fun of Tigers singing… I felt they thought they were superior to everyone else. I left feeling annoyed at them.
The resort offers day trips which I had done last visit, this time we did the Village tour again & it was even better this time,Jib is the most wonderful man, he is very proud of his work, village & family, i was lucky enough to meet his daughter & mother in Village # 7. we were the only ones on the tour which makes it so much more personal. Jib looked after my Mother so well they both learnt things from each other. Wonderful lunch at The Good View restaurant as well. Loved to see the locals in the main street as well. Cannot speak highly enough of the fantastic day we had.
We also did the free beach shuttle with Tan once again so very helpful, helped Tan clean up the rubbish that other people left on the little island. The staff from Paradise pick up all rubbish every time they go.
The elephant trekking tour was a highlight for me as I had been last year & fell in love with Somboon the elephant, was lucky enough to ride her again, the bonus was getting to see the elephants bathe & play in the river. Jib was our tour guide once again, he sat with Mum while I was riding the elephant, the people from nosey Parkers were also very nice. Lunch was fantastic at Suan Kluay Mai, lovely scenic gardens & streams.
So a huge thank you to all Activity staff Bao, Jib, Tan, Mee & Gob plus all the long tail boat drivers. Belinda in guest relations was very helpful upon arrival & to Tina when departing & to all the Bell boys sorry didn't get your names, thank you.
I met some lovely other guests as well & learnt about their countries & lives etc.
Finally to all the people that complain about the Resort being expensive or remote or that the staff can't speak good english…stay away & leave Paradise to the ones that think it really is a Partadise…can't wait till next visit.

Room Tip: Pool Villas are worth the extra.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Paradise_Koh_Yao, General Manager at The Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear jenni04amm,

Thank you very much for your lovely and detailed review. It was delightful reading how much you and your mother enjoyed your return visit.

We are more than happy that you were fully satisfied with all the activities you participated and that you had a great time with our staff.

Thank you also for sharing these wonderful pictures here on Tripadvisor.

We hope to welcome you back at The Paradise in the near future and wish you many fond memories to your stay with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Excellent service an the food is amazing! The staff is very friendly. The rooms are very private! The spa treatments were amazing. The wi fi is very fast...... We loved every second of our honeymoon and will defnitely come back for our anniversary!

• Stayed April 2014
Paradise_Koh_Yao, General Manager at The Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear SofiWoest

Thank you very much for your lovely and helpful review on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you were completely satisfied and enjoyed your honeymoon with us. Thank you also for the nice picture of you. It was a pleasure to host you.

We wish you many delightful memories and hope to see you back at the Paradise Resort in the not too distant future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

What can I say - this place really is paradise! We spent 7 nights here on honeymoon and enjoyed every moment. This is my summary of our experience:

Rooms: spacious and spotlessly clean, nice bedding, bit of a hike up the hill to the Plunge Pool Deluxe but the stunning view is well worth it (not for small children or elderly people though).

Service: they hire locals and teach them English and hospitality skills which is really great, however this does mean that their level of of English varies from a little to none at all, and it can take an astonishingly long time to order anything (35 mins for a glass of wine?) BUT they always do it with the sweetest of attitudes and you just cannot get mad at them. They are so friendly and hospitable, and their earnest attempts would have to make you smile even if the result is not quite right. Besides, you're here on holidays so what's the rush?

Food: daily buffet breakfast is great with all the usual stuff plus an egg station where you can watch your eggs being cooked in whichever style you choose. Dinner was accompanied by a show on 2 nights (a fire show and muay thai boxing show) and buffet with gorgeous fresh food where you pile up a plate and take it to the chef who cooks it in front of you. The a la carte menu was great too, however hubby did complain that the serving sizes were a little small and he needed more meat so often ended up ordering 2 mains. I was fine though.

Activities: yoga classes are just gorgeous in the open hut looking out over the water. The classes are a little basic but would cover what most people are looking for. We also did the elephant trekking tour which was really fun and I would highly recommend for anyone, the quad biking was great if you're feeling adventurous (also not for small children or oldies as it is a bit risky) and the in-house cooking classes led by Gai, the head chef, who took great delight in teaching us to cook and telling us interesting stories along the way. All activities were really well planned and well worth it.

Price: you certainly pay a premium for everything in this remote little spot with zero competition in the area! For example a 60 minute oil massage will cost you 2100 baht at the resort, whilst in busy Ao Nang near Krabi it will set you back on average 400 baht. However after wandering around Ao Nang for an afternoon, with all it's squalid smells, gaudy tourist trap bars and pushy street hawkers, we were thankful to retreat back to our beautiful, clean resort and more than happy to pay for the privilege.

All in all, it was an unforgettable trip and we have come home glowing with happiness - in fact we are planning another visit again in the near future.

Room Tip: If you don't mind hiking up the hill, Plunge Pool Deluxe Studios are brilliant for the view and...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Paradise_Koh_Yao, General Manager at The Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Amy W

Thank you so much for your lovely and helpful review on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you liked your room, our service and activities and really enjoyed your honeymoon at the Paradise and were happy to host you.

Yanni Classeen

Been to The Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!