“wonderful present” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island Yoga

Island Yoga
Ulmar's Nature Lodge | 4/10 Moo 4, Tha Khao, Koh Yao Noi, Ko Yao Noi 82160, Thailand
+66 87 387 9475
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 13 Attractions in Ko Yao Noi
4.0 of 5 stars 72 Reviews
Type: Health Clubs, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Island Yoga is a yoga retreat centre on peaceful Koh Yao Noi in Phangna Bay in Southern Thailand. We offer yoga retreats lasting anywhere from 4 days to several weeks, starting at any time during the season with our unique 'rolling retreats' concept. Island Yoga teachers provide classes based on Hatha, Vinyasa and Yin yoga for Asana (physical poses), Pranayama (breathing techniques) and meditation. Weekly workshops are also available as well as drop in yoga during peak season. We also use the outdoors as an environment in which to expand our the spiritual experience with rock climbing, kayaking and other outdoor activity trips on a weekly basis. Island Yoga is the perfect escape from the more touristy, busy parts of Thailand.
Berlin, Germany
“wonderful present”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

First of all, I want to say “thank you very much for the wonderful yoga and qi gong present”. I am still enjoying the inspiring input I have received. In addition, it is such a wonderful place on earth. I am so thankful that I found you and this lovely place in Thailand. All the best, thank you very much, Nicki from Berlin/Germany

Visited July 2012

Vereeniging, South Africa
24 attraction reviews
“At KYN Gym”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Great workout, would love to have done more sessions. Classes held on Sundays at KYN Gym. If you not doing Muay Thai then you may have to skip a few classes and travel down the road to do Yoga.

Visited November 2012
Santa Barbara, California
“Leave expectations behind and you'll be delightfully surprised:)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Island Yoga provided me with an escape from my hectic-paced life, a safe solo-adventure, a time to relax, renew, and meet wonderful new friends. I echo most of the other reviews... accommodations are not "delux", but they are affordable and helped to remind me that it doesn't take much to live the simple life of an island yogi:) As a yoga instructor, I appreciated the opportunity to focus on my own practice and Heather is a gifted instructor with a passion for providing differentiated instruction based on the needs/requests of her students. I had hoped to meet David and take classes with him as well - was disappointed not to learn until I arrived on the island that he would not be there during my stay... A head's up is always appreciated when you're traveling half way around the world:)

After a long flight, I was a bit frustrated to be directed to a bungalow away from the main "Nature Lodge" and to find it less than clean, however, once I brought the issues to the owner's attention, everything was taken care of and I received great housekeeping for the rest of my stay... Once I let go of the notion of a luxury vacation and settled into the natural environment, I realized that it was more than enough to provide me with a great retreat.

The other travelers were a highlight for me as everyone I met came to Island Yoga with an open heart, and it was fun to meet people from all over the world!

If you're going, I highly recommend:
1. Arat Massage - Incredible Thai Massage in a great hillside bungalow
2. Ride a bike around the island to see the lay of the land (I scootered as well, but the bike ride allowed for a slower-pace and time for taking photos)
3. Eat at La Luna Pizzeria - the food is awesome and there is a slack line in the side yard
4. Take a boat trip out to the island - Koh Phak Bia was the cleanest spot - beautiful water for swimming and lots of fish
5. ROCK CLIMB!!!! That was the top highlight of the trip and I wish I'd gone every day. I love climbing and "The Dut" as we called him, was the most fun guide - he's a fantastic lead climber and awesome person:)

If you're looking for luxury, go to Naka Island Resort and Spa (located on Koh Naka Yai)- I spent two nights there and it was completely decadent... If you're looking for a healthy retreat environment, enjoy Island Yoga and be open to what the experience has to offer:)

Visited October 2012
Canton, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
“Great Yogi and great island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I met Davey before he fully started the resort as I went for an elective set up by my school (St. George's) in May/June of 2010. Davey's yoga was by far the best and most relaxing I have ever experienced, and he has ruined all yoga for me from then on. In addition his skills as a mountain climber are astute and he helped me rock climb for the first time in my life!!! Was amazing! I was so excited to have discovered that he finally achieved his yoga retreat dream and can't wait to go back there with my husband.

As for all those ppl complaining about the beach being muddy, well not much anyone can do about that, at low tide all beaches around the small islands in Thailand get muddy and you just gotta get used to it. As for the accommodations not being "deluxe" enough you really must remember that you are going to a thirst world, tropical island.... if u're expecting Paris or London quarters u're in for a biiiiig disappointment. Truth be told, personally I preferred the rustic feel of the place, it was authentic and it added to the relaxation.

Visited November 2011
Australia
14 attraction reviews
“The most amazing experience on my travels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was greeted with a warm hug. That warmth and love continued through my entire stay of eight days. You make close friends overnight here. I felt that instruction was given for all levels of experience - which we had rangers from first timers to yoga teachers themselves. I felt myself challenged both mentally and physically. I enjoyed the chanting and guided meditation. You need to come here with an open mind to participating in all sorts of activities. I have been given the foundations to grow as a yogi in all walks of my life. Thank you to Heather and all the lovely people at island yoga. My life is fuller for having met you.

Visited October 2012