“Cosy place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Watamu B&B and Inns
Odense, Denmark
“Cosy place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I agree with Guilfybear "Everything have been written" My Fiancé and I stayed for 20 days whit excellent food and service. The last 6 or 8 days we where the only guests at Tembo Village and the service went from excellent to VIP and I eat to much every day :-). Great place that we have to visit again and also if it's only for the dinner. Well done Bettina, Peter and Lara

Room Tip: If you can't cope with the heat, select a room with AC
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

Where do I start, after much deliberation on where to spend our holiday with our families we decided on Tembo Village, such an incredible place with very good food and ambient atmosphere to relax. Though might want to think twice if travelling with kids as there were no kids activities at all. And that was our case, we had planned to spend 4nights but it was clear the adults were having fun and the kids not, and thats where the trouble started. We had spent two nights and decided to change to one that was beach front and give the kids an awesome experience. We were forced to pay for all the nights we were supposed to spend, this was pretty funny given the fact that we had taken a couple of rooms. We asked for a percantage refund policy but my friend Bettina and the Husband refused to listen to us. Quite amazing given the fact that we had good rapport but colours changed. I for certain know Bettina would not have liked being treated the way she treated us. We felt really bad, but everything and everyone serves a purpose under heaven.
William
Kenya

Stayed April 2012
Bettina N, Owner at Tembo Village Resort Watamu, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Hello, and thanks for your compliment, on the setting and style of Tembo Village and the beautiful food!
At the same time I find your rating totally unfair and feel I must explain this matter to future guest.

We have been in e mail and telefon contact about 1 month, before your arrival for easter holidays with family and friends. You booked 3 double rooms and 1 triple room for 4 nights on half board. I send you my reservation and you paid 50 % deposit. Shortly before your arrival you added another double room and a family room to your booking. On my question, wether you could send for the added rooms deposit, you answered, there is NO problem, you would pay on arrival and I should have trust in you. I trusted you!!

Meanwhile I cancelled other new booking requests, because we were fully booked. Acually I had an overbooking for 2 nights of 2 rooms and went to book at nearby places for new arrivals on easter monday.

On your arrival day travelling by road, you called me at 7.00 pm, requesting to check in by 9.00pm and to keep the kitchen open for your meal.
We stayed waiting for your group up to 1.30 am that night and even served you a 3 course meal of 2 choices. Kitchen staff stayed up to 2 am and had to come next morning early for breakfast.
After your meal, please remember, you had not yet checked in offically by filling your cards and paying the balance of 2 nights.
Reminding you after dinner, you requested, because of the tired children to finalise in the morning and informed me the same time 2 guest (staying in 1 double room) did not arrive, because the woman is near to deliver her baby.
Did you not know this a few days BEFORE??
The guest for the family room you told me, would come next day by plane.
Already, we lost a booking of 1 room and 1 night in family room, but I did not say anything!

Next morning after breakfast you remembered it was a bank holiday (God Friday) and you could not get into the bank, so payment was kept for next day, on Saturday. You slept your second night and I TRUSTED you again.

Saturday morning, I was out of the hotel and got informed over phone by my daughter Lara, that you were not happy with our place, because of your children missing entertainment. When I arrived at Tembo, i noticed you had already packed all your belongings and your wifes and children were waiting in the car.
I could not accept this excuse, because it was clear from the beginning over e mail and phone, that we do NOT have a kids club, which is also clear from our our webside.

How could we accept you check out and not clear your booking of 4 nights? Any Hotel in this world is working on reservations, which can be cancelled even up to 3 nights before arrival, as in your case, I could have rented the rooms to other guest on waiting list.

We accepted a discount of ksh 14000 and 5 empty rooms for 2 nights until the arrival of a large group on easter monday. On top of that, we lost the money for the already paid 2 rooms we had reserved in another guesthouse near us, because of overbooking for 2 nights.

I am sorry and still feel it was unfair to rate us TERRIBLE because of TRUSTING YOU from the day of arrival.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Everything that can be written has probably already been written so I keep to basics.

Tembo village exceeded expectations, was excellent value for money. Much better than what is presented on website although admittedly it was quiet with not too many guests.

Walk to beach 15 minutes (pole pole). Clean Rooms, Excellent food, Clean pool and a clever set up for meals. I would highly recommend.......

Room Tip: They are all much same - excellent with thoughtful decorations, paintings, carvings etc etc
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Tembo Village Resort is a very lovely place to be and the atmosphere is so relaxing,staff are excellent with their smiles and services,the owners are always there Bettina and her family are ready with a helping hand whenever required. I was there during the Easter weekend 2012 with family and I must say this is a good family vacation resort !
The food is Awesome ! I can still feel the taste of the Fish Masala and the Pizza and the meat balls the list is too long for me to go on with...and they cater for all young and old so u will not go wrong with the food.
The whole set up of the building and swimming pool location is very convinient for all the guests especially those with little children we can relax and watch over the kids.
All in all this place is a must visit and next time I will take some friends with their family so they too can experience this. Thank you Tembo Village I cannot write enough :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Orebro, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

For the first time ever I have gone back to the same place and the sam hotel for a vacation. This small hotel will provide you with great service, as I said before - you will absolutley feel like you´re staying at someones home instead of at a hotel. Anything you need, don´t hasitate to ask - the care for the guests shows no limits from the owners.The food is also keeping the same superb standard as last time - fresh ingredient and properly cooked every time. I have been served so many delicious dishes; pepper steak, red snapper, prawns and the great pizza prepared in the hot stone owen. This is a perfect place for relaxing, enjoying great food and go on exciting trips around the area - best beach Garoda,is reached with a tuk-tuk in aprox 15 min. and as I was on all inclusive I got a packed lunch box to bring for the beach. So to my conclusion; we love this place and will be back again next year!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed here two nights in December, and found it very pleasant. the rooms are rather basic, but you don't spend much time in your room when you are at a beach town in Kenya. A nice touch is that every room has a very nice veranda in front. As others have mentioned, the pool and gardens are lovely, and the food is excellent. The staff is very helpful: due to an airline snafu, my bag arrived a day after we did, so Dennis, the son of the manager, drove me to town on Christmas Day and found a store where I could buy some emergency clothing.
Since the hotel is about half a mile from the village, it is quiet. Incidentally, the village has an excellent Italian ice cream shop--quite worth the walk.
You should be aware of two things--the hotel is very close to the beach as the crow flies, but there are other properties in between, so it takes about 15-20 minutes to walk to a place where you can actually get into the ocean (which is warm and wonderful in December). The other thing is that there is no hot water. Not really a problem, since it was so warm, but be prepared to sing in the shower!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

This is a very good B&B for travellers who want their money well spent. We stayed in the rooms detached from the main building and these were clean and neat and rather aesthetically pleasing. Being a small B&B, the pool is not crowded and the gardens provide a lovely ambience.

Pros: The food is simply superb. Make sure you choose at the very minimum the Half Board option. I strongly recommend the crab bisque and the ginger fish. Bettina and her family add a personal touch to your stay and make you feel welcome. Their son went out of his way to arrange a snorkeling excursion for us.

Cons: A 10 min walk from the beach but a rather long walk from the nearest supermarket/grocery store. Salt water in the taps - terrible when you want a nice hot shower.

Room Tip: Have a look at the rooms in the main house. In addition, Tembo village seems to have recently added...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Tembo Village Resort Watamu? Share your experiences!