“Hidden treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Watamu
Nairobi, Kenya
“Hidden treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

An amazing 2nd experience at Lonno Lodge.
Silvia and Aldo are the best hosts ever. Always ready to help with anything. Vegetarian Food is the best I have had .
Great with kids. Rooms are big and very suitable all designed by Aldo.
Pool is amazing .
Would go there again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I had my birthday during our week long stay last year in November (2012) one of the most memorable birthdays ever. Aldo and Silvia are the most welcoming hosts. The quiet and relaxation was exactly what we needed as a family. Their staff are superbly trained and the lodge is very well maintained, clean and intimate. Thank you Aldo and Silvia, my family and I had a fabulous week. We will definitely be turning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Lonno Lodge is quite private resort, with nice owners Aldo and Silvia and very good guests.
The rooms are big, very clean and designed by Aldo, (he is an architect).
The food is Italian style with Kenya influences.
The location is exclusive, there isn't a big beach, but a very particular rock promenade.
Lonno lodge is 3 minutes from the principal popular turtle bay by tock-tock (3 euro).

Kenya is wonderful!

• Stayed December 2012
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We spent 6 nights at Lonno Lodge in January. This has been voted by our family as the best hotel ever and we've been about a bit! Small hotel with only 8 suites, amazing pool, delicious italian food and perfect hosts. We are independent travellers with a 6 year old child. Aldo and Sylvia were on hand to answer any questions but most of the time you wouldn't even know that they were there. You can walk straight out on to the reef and we never saw a beach boy and barely even a tourist. Our son learnt to snorkel in the shallow pools and then Aldo took us to a beautiful spot a bit further out where we saw a host of fish and reef life. The food at the hotel was superb but we felt very comfortable making arrangements to eat out in Watamu - where Sylvia's recommendations were always spot on! There was lots to do in and around Watamu including snake farm, Mida creek and Sokoke forrest and it was great to come back for a couple of hours around the pool afterwards. Thanks Aldo and Sylvia we will definitely be back.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We just came back from a week-end get away at Lonno Lodge in Watamu. We recommand it to every guest who wants to relax in a nice and welcoming environment while enjoying delicious italian food.
The view on the sea from the pool desk is charming and wild. Long walks can be done on the beach when the tide is low.
Furthermore, the lodge is small (8 rooms) and the welcome by the owners is friendly and warm, what we really appreciated in comparison to the usual huge and busy resorts found on the Kenyan coast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hockley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We spent Christmas and New Year at Lonno Lodge, when I say we it means 8 of us. My husband and myself along with friends arrived first at Malindi airport via Niarobi, we were met at the small airport by the Lonno Lodge transport which is a luxury people carrier (very comfortable and airconditioned). About 20 minutes later we arrived and were warmly greeted by the owners and fantastic hosts Silvia and Aldo. After a cool flannel to freshen up and a greeting cocktail we were checked in and promptly shown to our rooms. We both had Suites which comprised of a downstairs kitchen and lounge area and upstairs bedroom and bathroom with balcony (which made best use of the view). The other 4 arrived the following day into Mombasa and were also promptly met by the Lonno Lodge transport, they were kept entertained by the driver on the approx. 2 hour journey as he was telling them all about the villages they were passing through and local information.

The property itself is stunning, the rooms were perfect and very comfortable, the pool area is top class, infact I think its the nicest pool I have ever been in.

Although the property was full it was like having it to ourselves, many people are out sight seeing during the day and you never have to worry about getting up early or bribe a pool attendant to save you a sunbed as there are plenty, infact most days we had the pool to ourselves it really was an exclusive residence, we mostly spent lazy days sunbathing and swimming and sipping cocktails.

My husband is a keen fisherman and as always when in Kenya he spent 5 days deep sea fishing with a local professional skipper (Aldo can always put you in contact but be warned book early for your fishing as people come here from around the world just to fish.) He was rewarded with a large Shark, Sailfish and a Marlin along with lots of smaller varieties like Dorado and Tuna both of which we brought back to Silivia for her chef to prepare for dinner.

The food is all locally sourced and very fresh and all home made (even the pasta). Two of our party don't eat fish and each day Silvia would discuss with them an alternative. To be fair after a couple of days we gave up eating lunch and opted from the snack menu instead because we were just eating too much! Breakfast is a very casual affair, turn up when you like up till 10.30 and be greet by the lovely Jackie and choose from fruit, yogurt, cereal, pastries, toast, or a full cooked breakfast.

Evening meal was 8pm and we would meet a bit earlier for drinks on the comfy day beds and test Philip on his cocktail making ability (I can testify that he makes a seriously good cocktail, but to my discredit I can't remember much of New Years Eve!!)

Seriously though, we have stayed in many hotels along the Kenya coast and have stayed in Hemingways many times, in 2011 we stayed there for Christmas and also had a wedding but after staying at Lonno Lodge for Christmas 2012 I doubt if we would return to Hemingays, value for money, service and the property itself don't really compare the only plus that Hemingways has is the beach.

We love to swim in the sea which you can easily do from Lonno down some steps, there are lots of rock pools to explore at low tide and if you feel energetic you can go for long walks along the nearby beach but Lonno Lodge doesn't have an actual beach itself, and to be honest I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. One day Aldo took the men snorkelling to a local coral reef and they were amazed at the beauty of the coral and the sea life they saw.

The property is very secure, and entry is only through a large gate guarded by Masai Warriors who also patrol throughout the night, they are very friendly and always on hand to shine a torch on the footpath in the evenings.

Silvia and Aldo are the perfect hosts, every time you arrive or depart the property they are there to greet you, they are first up in the morning and the last to bed. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they will arrange anything from a Safari to a table at a local restaurant.

Sorry if this is too long but I felt that a shorter review wouldn't do Silvia and Aldo the justice that they deserve. Please don't have a second thought if you are condisering booking this property you will have a truly wonderful time.

Would we go back...........YES in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked this wonderful small hotel for 10 nights to celebrate Christmas and New Year's eve in relaxed atmosphere.
Everything was excellent right from the very beginning!!!

TRANSFER: When I arrived to the airport the driver, organised by Silvia (owner of Lonno Lodge) met me in the waiting area with the sign board with my name - right on time and smiling. The transfer to the hotel by very comfortable and clean minivan took about 2 hours. In the hotel Silvia greeted me personally and after fresh and tasty welcome-dring she invited me to show me my room.

ROOM: I've booked TOP FLOOR ROOM with private terrace and ocean-view. This room is fantastic!!! Very well decorated, perfect size, clean and cozy, with small kitchen, french balcony and wonderful views! Every morning you can start your day with fantastic african sunrise view over the Indian ocean! The terrace is REALY nice! Big and with lovely sun-bed! Paradise!

HOTEL TERRITORY and POOL: I can say one word - PERFECT! Aldo, the owner and architect of Lonno Lodge, made a great job - the territory in very well organised and groomed, everything is green and blooming! The POOL is with clean ocean water, perfect size with the view to the ocean; entrance to small private beach is only few steps away; very professional waiter/barmen Philipe all the time was somewhere around ready to bring us cocktails, water or some snacks. One more very important thing for me - sun-beds were very-very comfortable!

RESTAURANT: for BREAKFAST I've got everything I wanted - fresh fruits with yogurt, crispy home-made croissants with jam, delicious vegetable omelette and mango juice! 100% satisfied!!! DINNER - fantastic home italian food: big portions, different types of raviolis, pastas and risotto, fresh fish or shrimps and, of course, the glass (or two) of red/white wine. Serviss was great! I was absolutely happy! :-)

EXCURSIONS: Don't worry if you don't have specific plan for excursions. Silvia and Aldo will suggest you where to go, what to see or where to stay during your trip, they will help you to choose the right option and will arrange everything for you! They were very helpful and arranged for me 2-days SAFARI trip to Tsavo East with comfortable Land Rover, with good driver/guide and booked for me a night in very nice design camp. If you like SNORKELLING - ask Aldo, he will show you the best places for it! One day we went together for snorkelling and I enjoyed it very much - almost 2 hours of colourful underwater life! :-) If you like snakes - there is SNAKE FARM 5 min away from Lonno Lodge - you can touch and play with snakes (if you want to) - worth to visit!

Lonno Lodge is defiantly the place there I'D LOVE to COME BACK and the place I will suggest to my friends! I miss these wonderful days in this lovely and hospitable place, I miss our dinners and talks with Silvia and Aldo!
Silvia & Aldo! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!
You made my vocation PERFECT! :-)

Room Tip: Book TOP FLOOR ROOM if you want to have a private terrace with fantastic view.