“Poor Service Distracted From Food” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 74 Restaurants in Lindsay
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Montebello, Canada
“Poor Service Distracted From Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I love writing a good review and promoting a restaurant that I have enjoyed and I'm sorry that I can't do that for Hobart's in Lindsay. We were visiting from Montreal and my son was excited to take us to this restaurant as he had eaten there previously with his family and enjoyed it. He had made reservations, we arrived on time but were not seated for 45 minutes. We were a group of 6 adults and 1 well behaved child so not a challenging group to deal with. We waited another 20 min.for the waitress to return to take our orders. We made the waitress aware that two people in our group were celebrating birthdays, she said that she would bring them cakes. Our appetizers and salads arrived sporadically; some of us had to wait another 10-12 min. so we could eat together. A potato was served to some of us on a side plate well before the meal arrived which meant that it was stone cold before it was eaten. The meals were served (2hr. from arrival) but the cutlery had been removed with the salad course and we had to call the waitress back to bring us something to eat with. The meals served on the sizzling platters were hot, the rest were not. We had to ask for water a couple of times. The waitress asked a couple of us if we would like another drink but never came back to serve the others. She did not bring the promised birthday desserts, and when she was reminded she wasn't the least bit apologetic. Having been an owner in the food service industry for many years I understand that mistakes can be made and things can be forgotten but there were just too many disappointments to overlook. Upon our arrival we were seated at the bar which was fine, but our orders were taken and when they finally arrived they were served in a very perfunctory manner, there was no engagement by the bar staff with any of us, nor did the waitress establish a relationship with us on any level, in fact her attitude was almost surly. I must also say that on our way out my husband talked with the chef and complimented him on the food. I'm accustomed to paying well for a pleasurable dining experience but I was never even made to feel welcome here. As this restaurant really doesn't have any curb appeal or special atmosphere to speak of, I'm sure the food is the draw and the food was very good or would have been if it had been served in a timely and professional manner. My son usually tips very generously but couldn't in all conscience in this case and I quite agree with him. I'm pretty sure the waitress got the message because she was talking with the other staff and they all glared daggers at us as we left. My hope is that the management will read this comment and reinforce with the wait staff the importance of making the customer feel welcome and at ease so that they can really enjoy the meal without distraction.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lindsay, Canada
“Great experience all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Being in business in the area we had to try out this steak house. We were more then happy with the meal, atmosphere and the staff. We can't wait to go back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Very tasty,good quantity,good quality,good service.A very enjoyable dining experience.We were served in a very timely manner.

Visited December 2013
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“Excellent Service and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had dinner at Hobart's with a large group. Staff were able to quickly accommodate us, no long waits for service or food, good wine list and excellent prime rib. Looking forward to going back again.

Visited January 2014
Lindsay, Canada
“great food, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Good food and good service in a friendly atmosphere make this a restaurant to return to over and over.

• Visited October 2013