“Terrible Service!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of First World Hotel

Save Saved
You added First World Hotel to your Saves list
First World Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Genting Highlands Resort, Genting Highlands 69000, Malaysia   |
Asia
“Terrible Service!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

This hotel, i must say, really wowed me on the exterior. The colorful building, the nice lobby, accessibility is excellent.

I arrived at this hotel on 05th July 2008 @ 0530hrs totally exhausted & tired but was really excited to check in. However, without me realizing it, our reservation was not to be found. When asked if we could make reservation through walk-in, we were told that it was impossible. So, we asked if there's other means of doing so. Their answer was short, "No! You cannot & today no room!" So to say, there was a signboard outside the lobby stating there's room available. That was really misleading. Again, we asked if there's any chance to check in later since we are willing to wait even if room is only available at night. We were taken aback when the girl at the desk, I think her name is Roz. She was really rude! She just took out a brochure from a drawer, and shoved it across the desk. And says, "Just call that number. And leave the counter without saying a word of excuse! How rude! But we overheard her telling her friend, “Troublesome people!”

So, we were walking around & saw the bell desk counter. We asked if we could keep our bags. They informed that we couldn’t since we're not staying. So, we went away; only to be called to inform us that they can keep it but we have to pay. Fine enough, we did so. But it's limited to only a few hrs & we have to pay again. Ridiculous!

I was grateful we didn't stay there. People there don't smile, rude & not helpful at all! So, before you book, think twice!!

1,392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Amritsar, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

Okay it is but basic hotel. Working on sheer scale. Quantity Quantity Quantity. its clean but shockingly small rooms.I personally had problems with the key cards but that was sorted quickly well as quickly the elevator descends 22 floors that is. The first three trips were fun not after that.Beds small, television tiny, washroom small. If you are above 5.8" hmm think again before booking here. The buffet is like HUGEEEEEE. well some what efficient , some waiting here and there. well the shopping arcade is fun, didnt check the casino but well i bet couldn't have lost as much money as much i did shopping.
There better hotels in the Highlands.

• Liked — hmm shopping
  • Disliked — everything other than shopping.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pune, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

This hotel has some 6000+ rooms and as amazing as that fact is ... it comes with one big down side... the check in process comes as a big shock when you get there, which our travel agent forgot (or conveniently skipped) to tell us!

Either way... a simple piece of advice here is ask for the World Club room if you are planning to stay at the FW hotel. This class of rooms we suppose it the best at FW and most importantly you don't have to take a token number and wait in a never-ending line to check-in. Also given that these being the best rooms in the hotel, the view from the 28th storey is breath taking! all else about our trip was perfect. Oh... and pls note there is no room service at FW ... no not even for the World Club room guests... but we managed... the room is well stocked and at a place like that you don't really wanna stay tucked away in your room...

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — No room service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

Firstly, me and my friends arrived at 5am. When we reached there, we had to queue up to take our number and wait. At first I was cool about it, because knowing the fact that we arrived god damn early. But I expect the reception to open around 8am or so. Instead we found out that the calling out numbers will start at 11am. What the hell am I supposed to do for 6 bloody hours?! None of the shops are open. And to make things worst, we asked the reception if they could check if our rooms are available for early check in, the receptionist, without even checking said that we have to wait till 11am. I mean is it such a hassle for them to check for us? I dont care if they lied to us saying that the rooms are not available, but at least make an effort to check. My friend even overheard when some people asked the receptionist to check their room, they simply replied that they should wait. And the recptionist turn and told her colleague, "Case closed." It's as easy as that for us to shut up?! Man, they really should take some courses on how to handle customers PROFESSIONALLY.
Now the rooms. Mine was Deluxe Rm. It was damn small. There's NO wardrobe. There's NO remote for the tv. And, there's NO TOWELS. I called the operator and asked for a few sheets of towels,and they promised to send us. I waited for a good 1/2 hr and there's still no towels. In the end, my bf open the door and saw the housekeeping crew and asked for towels. They cant even send a simple towel. How bad is that? Oh and there's NO hairdryer. NO room service for food. Well, the first world hotel crew love to see their customers starve, I bet. And the food there sucks big time.
On the last day, I wanted to extend my check out time. I called the operator, and she said that I could extend. But a few mins later, she called back saying that i should go down to the reception to confirm. Why should I come down to confirm? What if I came down and they say I couldn't extend?
I would rather spend my money on elsewhere. Or maybe I should stay at another hotel.

• Liked — nil
  • Disliked — Bad Service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ipoh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

OK....Last week a friend invited me for the Genting Jazz Festival. I told him I cant make it on the 4th but can make it on the 5th.

I drove up to Genting after a night in KL.

My friend booked me in as the hotel website said the rooms were fully booked.

I arrived and met my friend in Gotong Jaya, which is about 6km down the main resort area. here you had the normal chinese restaurants and a paticularly nice Korean restaurant called Jung Go. I had a bbq cross steam boat meal here. Slightly different but interesting.

I then continued my journey up to the 6,200 room hotel, yes, that is right 6,200 rooms.

One stays in this hotel as a place to sleep and nothing more. The hotel is for basic accomodation. Nothing More.

The room was small, and damp, very very damp, it smelt damp.
It was clean, no mini bar, no room service. It takes ages to get to the room from the lifts.

The price for one night was RM200.00. I would have been ok paying RM100.00 for the room.

Based on the room experience, I did not bother about the breakfast, I drove down to Gotong Jaya for that in a local 'mamak' shop.

Check out was the very quick. You walk up to the check out area and give them your key card and thats it. No questions asked.
You basically prepay for the room and the very small bathroom.

The rooms have no fans and airconditioned as the temperature was about 20 degrees.

This hotel is a facility for the theme park and casino. That it, its a facilty,

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Damp Room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
S'pore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

I've not been to Genting for quite some time and so, I decided to go for a short trip during the Good Friday period (20-22Mar08) with my boyfriend and his family. But kinda regret making the decision of going up.

Everything went smoothly until the 21Mar. Both his sis and I went back to our room after walking around the whole place while the rest were still at casino but shortly after that, my boyfriend came back. Less than 10 mins later, someone just opened our room door and there u see 3 tall, big sized men standing there with their luggages and was told that the reservation gave them the keys. Won't you get a big shock of your life? Well, I know it sounds exaggerating but what i'm trying to say is what if my boyfriend wasn't back, what if there's no one in the room at that point of time, if they are not honest people, took ur stuffs and left? Who and where will you find those ppl back??

The worst was their service. Called the receptionist to complain and was told that they'll investigate and will send a new set of card keys up. End up, this staff came to our room, tell me that I have to go the the lobby to clarify myself. Do I have a choice? At the counter, asked to speak to the Duty Mgr or Supervisor and they happily point to any of the staff!! Spoke to another counter staff, gave me a look (as if I owe her money) throughout the whole 15mins, overheard her saying that they couldn't find my voucher, then it took me another 10mins standing at the counter looking like an idiot and didn't even bother apologise when i left. Demanded to see their supervisor and all i get was apologies without explanation!

Am not trying to kick a big fuss because I'm working in the same trade and I know it's the peak period during tat week. But, never did I expect that they'll make this kind of mistake. OMG.. so what if they can compensate whatever we have lost in the room? Do you think that I still can trust your staffs? I don't think so...

• Liked — Only the cool weather
  • Disliked — No comments
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mumbai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

We stayed at the First World Hotel for 2 nights on 15,16 March 08. We were 7 friends and we had a blast. Sure the hotel has some problems, but if you're not too particular about where you stay, its a great place.

The rooms were clean and comfortable, tho we were hardly ever in the rooms. The bathrooms are small, but one can manage. The check-in takes a long time and we were prepared for it. You need to go take a chit which has a number. We got ours at around 1 PM (no. 484) while no. 250 was being checked in. We dropped off our bags at the waiting counter and went across to survey the place. Lots and lots of places to eat, drink. We hit the casino asap and it was huge, but really crowded.

If you're a roulette fan, this is not the place for you. Its a minimum of 10 ringgit for number bets and 25 ringitts for outside bets (odd/even & black/red) There are so many people at the table, its just absurd. It takes 15 minutes after the spin for the casino to pay off bets which means you have to wait a Loooooooooong time for the next spin.

Hit the touchscreen roulette counter. They have around 75-100 touchscreen counters and a big screen tv which shows the ball being rolled into play.

If you've booked thru a travel agent, please be careful, they give you vouchers with the date on it. We didn't see that the indoor theme park vouchers were valid only on the 15th and we had to forfeit the voucher.

The outdoor theme park is great fun. Lots of rides for people of all ages. Plenty of places to eat as well.

Tip: pick up some bottles of water, snacks from the closest 7-11 at a petrol station on the way as water and drinks are more expensive than in KL.

All in all a nice fun place especially for people in colleges/ youngsters and groups of friends.

• Liked — The cold weather, away from the daily grind
  • Disliked — the crowded casino full of people smoking
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to First World Hotel? Share your experiences!