“Quiet Cool Mountain View” 3 of 5 stars

You added Awana Hotel to your Saves list
Awana Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Km 13, Genting Highlands 69000, Malaysia   |
Singapore, Singapore
“Quiet Cool Mountain View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed here many times in the past. But this time, it is a bit dissapointing, because the Korean restaurant is not there anymore. The food at Rajawali restaurant is typical hotel which is not special enough. The Genting Highland outdoor Theme Park is not in operation since 1 September 2013, due to the plan to introduce first Century Fox Twentieth Theme park that is planned to be completed by 2016. Overall, it was a quiet trip at Genting Highland, not as crowded as usual

Room Tip: Most rooms are with 2 queen beds, request for non-smoking, other floor smell smoke strongly.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This is the worse hotel you can imagine. It is so old and dirty, the carpet smells and all else is rusty until it gives you an allergy because the rooms are old and not aerated sufficiently. There was leaking on the floor our appt was in and we have taken pics of that. We booked for a 2 night stay and we checked out just after one night and no refund was given since we booked through expedia. We didnt care, we just wanted to escape from this aweful place, what a bad experience for a first time visitor to genting. I dont believe the good reviews and the rating of this hotel, its a scam. This place is now for gamblers since this is what they care for. Genting is built now for gamblers coming from china thats it, it is not made for other expat visitors unfortunately. The hotel need serious refurbishment and total face lifting,its time for owners to spend some money on it which i doubt, as long as chinese gamblers keep on coming. What a waste!

• Stayed September 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Something good that i can think about is the GOLFING facilities but in terms of service... POOR! None of the staff willing to approach n help to carry golf bags from a young lady (my sister-in-law).. We had 4 golf bags.. The staff jus watched on u..
HOTEL ROOM.. OK with an ancient style TV and luckily there are selected ASTRO channels n etc. Toilet leaking n we reported to the counter staff, they claimed that we must stay in the room so that the technician can come over... Armmmm.. Mayb she is right, just to avoid any "problem" but we come for vacation, do u AWANA expect me to watch ur technician to do works? Or we just accept the "unlucky & unforeseen" problem happened in our room! One solution is, please hav routine check-up or maintenance... Thanks god we check out after the golfing session...
PARKING.. The management blocks all the front parking just for their committee members. I understand this is for their convenient & benefits.. But pls at least provide valet or jockey service, right? Appreciate the valued customers or clients, please. Unless Awana intended to put the resort FOR MEMBERS & COMMITEE ONLY...
Although im not a regular to Awana Genting.. Mayb twice a year, but i do wish if Awana shows their appreciation to everyone including non-members in terms of better smile on staff & security faces, n be more helpful of course, up to standard room facilities, better food quality and so on...

• Stayed September 2013
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night on a business trip; first thing that I noticed was how green the environment is; even walking towards the lobby, you can see beautiful landscapes and trees everywhere. I've not been to Genting in a long time so it's nice to have a refreshing, cool air for a change. The hotel looks old but the nature makes this place stand out. The room is huge and comfy and we had this amazing view overlooking the golf course. One thing though; the shower curtain could use a change; it looks like it's not cleaned/changed for a long time. I don't have complaints on the breakfast though because to me it's good enough already. I would recommend this place as a short overnight getaway.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have booked a night's stay via expedia.com.my just a week in advance and paid RM267.00. The hotel room was clean and fine - it accommodated 3 adults and also, it included 2 buffet breakfasts... My dad played golf and had breakfast separately, so no issues on that. The check-in staff was friendly and efficiently and was able to check in by 12ish instead of 2pm although it was a long Malaysia Day weekend. There is also a big selection of cable channels (mainly from Astro) which we enjoyed too.

There is a free hourly bus which goes up to all the way to First World Hotel for hotel guests, hence no need to drive or pay for the cable car charges... The driver practise safe driving (this was a comment from my dad) and there was pleasant in-house music the whole time.

The problem is that there is no free WiFi available - you have to pay like RM10 for 1 hour or RM25 for 24 hours which I think, it is a shame as I think most hotels (including hotels of lower grading) provides free WiFi for their guests... I think that's a big Boo boon on the hotel's part.

But generally, the hotel's pretty acceptable for a short getaway...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Lahore, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Reading different reviews on trip advisor, I was unsure about what to expect after making a booking with this hotel for a night's stay. However, as the saying goes, everyone is a prisoner of their own experiences and I must say, my experience with this hotel was wonderful. Upon our arrival, we were stunned by the beautiful location. At the check-in, we immediately received an upgrade from 2 basic deluxe suites to the double storyed 3 bedroom suite situated at the top-most floor of the hotel. The mountain views were breathtaking, the weather unbelievably beautful. The surroundings of this hotel were the best I've ever seen. One could go on a walk and explore the golf area for an entire day! The shuttle bus service running after a fixed interval to Genting Highlands First World Hotel area was most convenient. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Now I understand why most people dont rate it as a great hotel and they have valid reasons for that but I must say one should look at the price they charge for a basic bedroom which is very meager. Our pent-house like apartment had 3 bedrooms with attached bathrooms, a spacious lounge and a small kitchenette. Iron board and an iron were also provided in the room.
However, what I didn't like about the hotel was the breakfast buffet. Everything seemed to be so messy and not A grade quality. Also the flavours and choices were very limited. The hotel needs to pay a lot of attention to the breakfast buffet. Other than that, I loved my stay at the hotel and wished I had an extra day to spend and explore the surroundings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gurgaon, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

It is one of pathetic hotel staff I have ever seen. The only positive that I can think of this hotel is the Hotel Location and adjoining Gold course which gives it a great view. Apart from that, The food served in the restaurants is not good and service is extremely poor.

Talking about Location- if you can get a hotel at top, nothing can beat it since you can save money that you will waste in taxi for coming to Hotel. The hotel provides you free shuttle at different intervals but they are either till cable car or till Resortsworld and the queue is very long.

I had to pay the same amount that I would have paid at resortsworld but due to Holiday season there was no availablity and has to stick to Awana. The wi-fi is chargeable and only connects when you are around reception area and the connection get losts as you reach your room.

The beakfast Menu has variety and serves various options in Indian food but the food quality and taste is not up to the mark.

The room view was the only good thing. The room was not great and the remote for TV has a tape pasted to avoid batteries from falling down(pic attached). The bath was average.

It was a total waste of money.

Room Tip: please take a room with golf course view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Awana Hotel? Share your experiences!