“Very pleasant staff and nice setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn on the Lake

You added Inn on the Lake to your Saves list
Inn on the Lake
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3009 Highway 2, Fall River, Nova Scotia B2T 1J5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fall River
Ashton, Ontario
“Very pleasant staff and nice setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I only discovered this inn on the last day of our travels while looking for a place not too far from Halifax airport in Nova Scotia and was very pleased. Nice location, lovely setting by the lake with beach, and also a room opening onto the pool and patio area. Fine dining in both a dining room and a pub. Have breakfast on the patio in the sunlight. The staff were helpful, and very pleasant stay albeit short. Will be the place I stay next time I am in the area. And hot tub in the room - nice touch - relaxing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
La Ronge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We once again chose Inn on the Lake for our first night stay while vacationing in Nova Scotia this year. I love this place! The setting is so peaceful and serene, the rooms are just wonderful, clean and so nicely furnished. The beds are comfortable and the view of the lake is just so tranquill from the balcony.
The service is excellent and friendly. We had our evening meal as well as breakfast at the Inn and just like last year, we found the food and service both top notch!
We will most definately return to this beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the lake! The view is magnificant...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we needed a place close to the airport. Once at the hotel we didn't feel close to the highway or the airport. It was a very relaxing stay. The lake and gazebo were a nice place to just relax. We had supper and breakfast at the hotel, both were good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I just spent 8 days at this Inn. Considering it is part of the Clarion chain and an economy cluster, it was a very nice place. I really give it three and a half stars because there is some room for improvement and some important issues that people need to consider before staying.

First, let's be honest - there's nothing to NOT like about Nova Scotia itself. My vacation totally rocked. I picked this hotel through Travelocity with Air Canada and an Avis car package. If I had it to do over again - and I ABSOLUTELY WILL RETURN - I would not have done a hotel package and instead found B&Bs throughout the region. This particular hotel is a great starting point and perhaps an ending point and a fine commuting hotel. But it is not the best vacation destination hotel for your money. Will I stay here again? Perhaps when I am flying in and out.

Let's start with the location - a ten minute drive to and from the airport makes this a very convenient location for startup and wind-down. But it is a long drive into Halifax in the morning, especially during rush hour and there is no public transportation to speak of - so if you are trying to go other places, add in the cost of a car. I did find it actually less hectic to drive to Dartmouth along Route 2 and park near the ferry and take that into Halifax. I also commuted to the beach a couple of days - about an hour to Mahone Bay, and drove up route 2 to a provinical park that was outstanding.

The other part of the location equation is that the large, noisy highway nearby means that the enjoyment you might receive from sitting by the lake is highly questionable. I wound up spending very little time sitting on the inviting deck chairs or canoeing. And that's another thing - time to get a couple of kayaks to really help the guests enjoy the lake. I had imagined spending part of my vacation on a lounge chair reading quietly with a glass of wine and that never happened - I pretty much left every day well before noon and came back at night.

There was a beautiful tennis court that looked great for people who like the sport and I was perplexed that I never saw anyone use that awesome facility - if you like tennis, consider this hotel - seriously - you could play half the day and no one else would bother you. Two beautiful courts.

The pool was great - cool the way that I like it and uncrowded. In fact, while the hotel didn't seem to be adverse to children, there were very few there (or they were unseen) and that made the pool all the more enjoyable to me - no babies in the pool. The four or five times that I went for a swim, I was completely alone except for people dining on the patio.

My room faced away from the highway, which was lucky - that made things generally quiet - except when I had loud neighbors because you could hear their TVs through the walls. But that happens in any hotel when you have the sort of neighbor who is a bit inconsiderate. Otherwise, I slept like a baby. Those loud neighbors were often serious smokers as well, so I couldn't leave my screen door open or sit outside next to my room and enjoy the sunset. I think it would be a good idea to ban smoking on the porches and only permit it a significant distance from the rooms, otherwise, you might as well have a smoking room.

The staff was very helpful and considerate. I had one incident however, where I left for the day and returned to find the patio door open to the screen! I reported it and received an apology, but it did freak me out a bit. Then I realized where I was - it just wasn't a spot ripe for theft. Still, when housekeeping staff leaves, they should always close and lock all doors.

The Inn itself is cool and quirky - which is also why I picked it and why I liked it, generally speaking. It wasn't a cookie cutter hotel and it had an "Inn" feel about it. In fact, when I was down in Halifax on Canada Day, I had a great conversation with a woman who said her grandfather built the Inn. I enjoy places with character and the facility had that - also, I saw the set up for a wedding on the day after Canada Day and it was very nice indeed. They probably host a lot of these types of events and it is a better setting then a typical hotel. The gazebo, despite the noise from the highway, seems like the perfect backdrop to a wedding.

Something that they have in the room that is well worth it is the hot tub. I had a king sized bed and a gigantic, two-person hot tub off to the side. Awesome. Just plain Awesome. I rarely take a bath at a hotel - using the shower instead - but having a hot bubbly tub every night was better than I could describe. I imagine if I was traveling in cold weather, it would be better still.

So about the food. The restaurant did well at night and the bar was an outstanding venue. The bar tenders deserved high tips and cared about their work and their customers. But the prices for the food were top-level gourmet and the quality did not quite match. Some things were really outstanding - they do a Ceasar Salad in large and small portions that really starts the meal off right. They have an awe-inspiring seafood chowder - I tried it in several places during my vacation and this was the best. Their strawberry short cake was outstanding. But there is uneven cooking in the kitchen when things get busy and they need to do a little work on making sure it is properly staffed and following through on the chef's visions. I had fish that was purportedly fresh but it was not cooked through, meaning it had been frozen. And I had an outstanding seafood pasta dish that was unfortunately marred by some undercooked mussels. Although the bar tender offered me a plate of cooked mussels, I was too far along with the meal - a better idea after I declined would have been to take the meal off the bill. Just a recommendation. The restaurant's night menu could be outstanding with a little work. The breakfast was uninspired as was breakfast service - I only ate breakfast at the hotel once.

Overall, I recommend this hotel because it has the jacuzzi in the rooms, the people are friendly and helful and service generally very good, the bar is a great place to spend the evening and despite being near the airport and a busy highway, it has a somewhat tranquil air about it; plus the architecture is interesting and unusual, and for pool lovers, it is a great place to swim at the end of the day. It's a nice place with character, and it is well worth your money. Make it your first or last stop and you'll do well.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side facing the gazebo to block out some highway noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Ladysmith, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

What a beautiful alternative to those hotel airports which are so run of the mill. While I was unaware there was no elevator to the rooms they immediately moved me to the second floor which meant only six stairs to climb. The ad looked attractive but it was more appealing in reality. How often does that happen. Only twenty minutes to the Halifax airport and it felt out of the way and intimate. The cost of meals in the pub was very reasonable and the quality of the food was exceptional.
The room was luxurious and the bathtub irresistible for a traveller facing a day of changing planes and altered flights.
I felt so pampered I even splurged on room service.

Room Tip: No elevator service but there are porters for your luggage. The second floor is only six stairs fr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
New Brunswick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I LOVE Inn on the Lake!! My husband and I have stayed here 4 times on our annual anniversary bike trip. This was our 25th wedding anniversary, so it was kind of nice when we found out that none of the regular rooms were available, so we had to upgrade to the only available room left - which has the jacuzzi tub in the room. Not sure if I'm a fan of having a jacuzzi tub IN the room (not the bathroom), but it was a nice little novelty.

I actually preferred the regular rooms we've stayed in before. I believe that all of the rooms have balconies, which is so nice these days when most hotels do not. Love the view of the river, sitting on the balcony watching the sunset, and then waking up and having a cup of coffee outside before starting the day.

I think the two things I love most about this hotel are the restaurant, and the grounds. The food is PHENOMENAL!! Always the best meals are here when we do our week long bike trip of N.S. The grounds near the river are beautiful!! Makes you forget that there is a 4 lane highway next to the hotel! The staff were also great, wish I could remember their names, but I did write a nice note about two of the staff in particular who were wonderful to us.

Rooms are very clean and beds are always very comfortable. Suggest you book early as normally they are not full the middle of June - but word about this little gem of a hotel must be spreading!

Room Tip: side overlooking the river - beautiful view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

Very nice location, 5-10 min from the airport. Good sized rooms, some with great views of the lake. One major drawback is the lack of an elevator. Makes hauling a family's worth of stuff up 3 flights a bit of a pain. Overall good though!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!