“Outside Tour OK” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 12 Attractions in Carrara
Type: Caverns/ Caves
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Famous for their white marble, these caves in the Apua Mountains serve as studios of stone sculpting and bronze art, where famous artists and sculptors from all over the world come to work.
Sydney, Australia
31 attraction reviews
“Outside Tour OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We had some trouble to find the location fr the tours as we mistakenly followed all the 'yellow' signs to the 'Cave di Marmo'. Most of these signs are actually only really for the industrial quarry sites as tourist signs are generally Brown. We ended up in Colonnata and lucked inot a wonerful lunch at Osteria Nella Pia. Try anywhere and try to the local Lardo.

We we went back dwon and found the Fritto Scritti Tour laoction. Seems there are fiercely competing tour companies, one which does and 'Inside the mine - Cave, and the other doess a tour up the mountain in 4WD to view the quarries and get a rapid explanation of the quarrying process.

We took the later thinking we would also get to go inside a cave, but no ! It was an interesting tour but only two stops. Both with impressive views of the valley back toward the town and splendid views of the coast. The next stop was over a working quarry.

It was hair raising ride up the hill. There a museum of sorts and a couple fo shops selling marble pieces, mainly touristy articles.

We then noted the Marmo Tours which take you inside. There are Photos of what you see so it did look impressive though we didn't go.

The Hill tour was 10E adults and 5E for kids. the iside tour was 9E and 4.50E.

To arrive, it quite a steep windy drive up but look for signs to Fritti Scritti. It's also a great drive out through quite narrow often dark roughly cut tunnels, all one way though so no panic. Carrara has a main walking street with a nice park at the top with varoius Marble sculptures and a good place to run the kids or grab a coffee on your way out of town. htere is a larger paizza where you see the Duomo which also worth finding a few blocks down to the right facing the sea.

Visited September 2012

Lugano, Switzerland
70 attraction reviews
“Impressive marble mining and caves”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Carrara is world-famous for its marble, if you're anywhere near it's worth spending a couple of hours even just to drive up to Colonnata, a small village at the end of the road that takes you up into the mountains, surrounded by mines that for thousands of years have been digged. From far away, the landscape lookes almost though covered by snow, when close you'll see the glittering white of the beautiful Carrara marble coming to light.
And if your' in Colonnata, you can't miss tasting the special "Lardo di Colonnata" together with some local wine.

Visited September 2012
Italy
“A must if you are in the area, they say this is the only "inside" cave you'll see”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I went with the Carrrara Fair organization, and every time I attend the Fair I go for a visit. Every time I happen there it is raining so I never get the chance to visit the external cave, but I must say I do not miss this experience since I believe the alternative much better, I am talking about the visit to what they say is the only existing cave inside the mountain. The actual visit does not take long (abt 40min) and the trip inside the mountain is quite brief but the experience I believe is unique, you are really INSIDE the mountain and you can feel the whole mountain on top of you and under your feet. A fantastic guide will accompany you, she is a wonderful person, professional but so sweet and funny and helpful you'll never forget her (I did forget her name, yes).
I would have enjoyed the visit even if we had not happened inside the cave when David Bryan from Bon Jovi was preparing a live concert right that evening, I am a lifetime fan of the band and thanks to our fantastic guide I had a unique experience under the very stage. Thanks thanks thanks.
If you decide to go, ask whether the ticket for the trip inside the cave is included, and should you wish for a little marble present, the little shop right outside the cave is a very cheap and interesting place.

Visited May 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Carrara, Tuscany, Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We shot a promo video for a newly built Iveco marbke quarry truck at this location. What a beautiful experience! The views are stunning! Please see our production and amazing views at the Carrara Marble Mines! http://youtu.be/534ef3gt6JA

Visited October 2011
Toronto, Canada
“Incredible, amazing, wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I can said only....WOW!!! You must try it, is terrific (and the guide Gabriele too). We were sceptical, then fearful and then bewitched. An incredible wiew, enormous blocks of pure white marble and a professional explanation about the historical and geological evolution of this landscape. Thank'you so much

Richard & Terry