“Small, clean, friendly hostal - perfect as a base for discovering La Línea, Gibraltar and the local area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Paris

You added Hostal Paris to your Saves list
Hostal Paris
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   c/Del Sol 58, 11300 La Linea de la Concepcion, Spain   |
Alcaidesa, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights while we were trying to sort out rented accommodation in La Línea. We had a double room with a private bathroom. The room was basic but very clean and had a tv and air-conditioning plus free WiFi.
The staff were really friendly and helpful and there was no problem for us to leave our suitcases in the back room after we checked out for nearly a whole day!
Excellent place - I will certainly be recommending it to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We paid 42Euro for a room with 3 single beds and a private bathroom. It was very basic (nothing fancy) but the staff was very nice and helpful. There is underground parking available (a little extra fee) but it is very small and you will need someone to direct you in and out (the staff did and excellent job).

The hotel is close to the restaurants and shop and you are at 10 minute walk from Gibraltar border. I would stay here again, considering the cheap price, good service and basic amendities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

staff are incredibly friendly, the beaches are really close and the room is large and cool.

the rooms are tidied daily, although no food is available in the hostel there is a bar called tio pepe 40 seconds away that does tapas for €1.50

I would recommend this place to anyone on a budget looking for beaches and the possibility to visit Gibraltar which is just a bus ride away!

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

A tough review to write. I really wanted to like this place. It's down to earth, well situated and the staff are likeable, if not particularly communicative! The only problem is, nothing seems to work, or more to the point, work often enough. Now the rate I paid was excellent, and it was just a roof over my head, but I do expect certain 'luxuries'. One of these is hot water. None for three days - and I paid extra for an in-room bathroom! Never mind, the occasional cold shower never hurt anybody - although the lack of any water pressure from the (broken) showerhead was a problem at times.....

Another is a door lock which works - not the comedy arrangement fitted to my room, which either refused to lock, or would lock and then refuse to be unlocked! Many a happy hour was spent with a chair wedged under the doorknob!

Don't worry about being late for any pressing appointment though. If the cacophany generated by the rest of the hotel walking to and from the shared bathing facilities doesn't wake you up, then the church around the corner will with its incessant bell ringing. Admittedly, hardly the hotels fault.

You'll also be able to catch up on all the gossip. The walls are shockingly thin!

On the brightside, the air-con works, and the rooms were cleaned each day.

All in all, OK for the cash strapped backpacker, not a place for the family! Sense of humour essential!

Room Tip: Don't bother paying the extra for the in-room bathroom. They never work anyway!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these La Linea de la Concepcion hotels

Helsinki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Good location with own parking places in the basement garage ( 8 Eu/day). In the center, lots of cafes, restaurants nearby. Room is basic but clean and big with good aircon. Comfortable beds.Bathroom (in room) is clean but worn out (mould on tiles). Asked for silent room, which was really silent but do not expect a view. Stuff was really nice and helpful.
Address in booking.com is not correct, GPS did not find it so it was difficult to find the hostel. (otherwise easy) Correct address: Calle Del Sol 58

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I assume if you are looking at places in La Linea, it's because you going to Gibralter. I recommend paying a bit more to just stay in Gibralter. I felt unsafe walking through the bombed out looking town. Everywhere I went, I felt like I just walked in on an argument. Also, walking back in the dark alone across the border past blocks of closed shops covered in graffiti with men hanging out in the shadows was... uncomfortable. The location of this hostel is actually very good. It was only about 5 dog-poop covered blocks from the bus station and about one to the main drag where you could find restaurants and shops. However, if you walk the other way, it looks like the old housing projects in Chicago.

The staff seemed to speak only Spanish, but it is Spain! They all seemed very nice, but my interactions were limited to checking in and asking where to buy a Coke. Everything was very clean and I was happy to find a sink in my room. There was one toilet room and a shower/toilet room for the floor of 15 rooms- not sure if any of them had their own toilet/shower in them. I never had competition for the bathrooms, but the shower was a small, uncomfortable one with a hand-held fixture that never seemed to get a regular temperature.

My bed was very comfortable, but I had the room right next to the sign that flashed all night. It made me feel like I was in a movie set in a SRO in NY in the 70's. Outside they were partying to all hours, but when I tried talking to my mom who is 9 hours behind at 2am, I found out that the walls were paper thin. My neighbor apparently went to bed very early for being in Spain and screamed at me. This meant that after 3 weeks in hostels sleeping with other people, my luxury of having a room to myself was somewhat diminished due to a sound curfew of 11pm.

I must add that the internet speed was fast and helped make up for some of the downsides.

Also, I remember seeing comments somewhere about the exterior window shades- there is a separate pull to open and close them. They have these all over Spain. If you can't figure it out, just ask. Like I said, the staff is nice and if you say, "Necesito ayuda con la ventana" I'm sure they will help you out.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, ask for a room off the street and away from the bathrooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed for 12 Nights in a single room with own bathroom. The room was approx. £24 a night, so good value for money, I was visiting Gibraltar but La Linea is better value for money for a place to stay. The hotel does not have a restaurant, so does not provide any food or breakfast, however this is only a minor inconvenience and the location of the hotel is great for bars and restaurants nearby.

The reception staff do not speak much English, however despite my lack of Spanish checking in proved to be almost no problem at all. It could be a problem if you need anything or assistance during your stay though.

My room was quite large, but didn't have a window looking to the outside as such, it had a peculiar inside window which looks on to some sort of patio area, and hence their is a blind shut across it. The room was a bit dark due to this fact and had I been in the room much this could of been annoying having to have the lights on all the time.

I wasn't in the hotel or room much so it was perfectly adequate for my needs and a good budget hotel for the price. My only real criticism is that on a couple of occasions I had a shower around 9am and could not get any hot water at all, which really is not acceptable. So my advice would be have a shower before 8.45am to guarantee getting hot water which I did every other day.

I should also mention that there was a lot of noise in the evenings within the hotel which I couldn't really understand why, fortunately I slept well regardless during my stay so it wasn't so much of a concern. The lock on the room door was a bit finicky as well

There is also free wifi which is good

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hostal Paris? Share your experiences!