“Has this changed hands??” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Has this changed hands??”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We have visited the Roebuck to eat on about 7 occasions, three of them were for Sunday lunch which was lovely. The last couple of times for tea have been very dissapointing! New staff, not as efficient, and the menu has changed, smaller portions, infact my husbands was so small he had toast when we got home!. When you are spending £48 for one starter, two main courses and a bottle of wine this is overpriced when you leave wishing it had been better. Won't be recommending it and won't be going again. Shame because we orgionally thought we had found a little gem.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not bad!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Arrived at Roebuck,after a days hiking,and had been recommended by a friend,..didn't have bother getting a table as we had missed the lunchtime diners and had beat the evening diners, few thing had sold out, lads had toad in the hole and scampi and chips, I ordered meat and potatoe pie,other half had a smokey chicken salad, had to wait quite a long time for mains,although they were quite nice when they arrived, my pie looked like a pork stand pie when it came,the filling was fine, but a little lacking in flavour,and although pastry was quite thin it was quite hard, and to be honest wasnt enough veg for me, some kale and a small spoonful of potatoes, service was fine apart from one of the waitresses had a spillage of beer right next to my feet and never attempted to clear it up, but on the whole quite a nice experience, and would probably go again

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Otley, United Kingdom
“Pie in the Sky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The Roebuck specialises in pies but which are wonderful but they serve the best scampi I have ever tasted anywhere, even by the sea.... The pub has been refurbished beautifully by Chris and his partners and the decking area looking out over Otley and the Chevin is delightful on a sunny day. I don't know how he trains his staff (I have had this conversation with him), but both here and at his restaurant/winebar, Korks in Otley town centre, they are pleasant, on the ball and always ready to help. The Roebuck also does a great pub quiz on Wednesday evenings, aimed at people who know stuff but can't recognise a photo sheet of -C celebs - great fun and prizes to be won!!! Try the Roebuck - it's lovely!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Overpriced and underwhelmed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Visited as a group of four for evening meal only to find that various dishes were not available including the steak ,unheard of ! We did all eventually choose various dishes which were all disappointing in various ways . My own blue cheese quiche starter had very little of the "blue" ingredient and was pretty tasteless , my wife's fish cake starter was filled with what can only described as mushy fish paste and our friends stater of fish terrine was covered in far too much mayonnaise mixed haphazardly with the new potato ,no sign of dill.
The main course of shin beef was well cooked but with too much salt and the bubble and squeak accompaniment consisted of mainly mashed potato and very little else . The wild mushroom topping was OK, if a little on the sparse side .The pork and chicken pie whilst having a reasonable filling had a stodgy thick crust most of which was left uneaten .The meat and potato pie was deemed OK but at £10.00 ?! (plus veg) was no better than any pie shop would produce .
Two sweets were bought , the lemon meringue pie which was not crispy enough and soggy at the bottom and the glazed tart with raspberries according to our companion tasted slightly of salt .
In common with other reviewers I do object to paying separately for vegetables which I think should be included in a meal cost which is high in the first place in comparison with other establishments. As is often the case we just paid up and put it down to experience but one which will not be repeated .
It did not help at the end of the meal when one of the kitchen staff came by our table looking like he had wiped his hands down his kitchen trousers all day. This was was unfortunately after we had eaten ,if it had been before we would have gone elsewhere .

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“small portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This place is in a really nice spot n when the suns shinning there's a lovely terrace outside which is where we sat n had a really nice lunch, I had the smoked chicken salad n my friend had one of the pies both our dishes were yummy but unfortunately both were very small portions! when my salad came out I actually felt embarrassed for some reason n whilst it was very tasty I think £10 for this tiny dish of food is a bit cheeky!! infact by the time we left a couple of hours later we were hungry n ended up going somewhere else to eat!!! Other than that the staff were great and the place is spotlessly clean!!

• Visited April 2014