“A COSY HOTEL WITH PERSONALITY” 4 of 5 stars

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yorkgate, Otley LS21 3NU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Durham England
“A COSY HOTEL WITH PERSONALITY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We badly needed break after an awful year and with a little bit of research on the internet we found this lovely hotel, The staff are very friendly, always polite and helpful. We stayed in a wooden lodge away from the main building which was very spacious, warm and cosy. The beds were comfortable with ample hanging and draw space. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, water and bisucuits were provided. If you like walking there are plenty lovely walks to do. Our dog thoroghly enjoyed herself and the welcome was just as warm for her as it was for us.

Pool, steam room, sauna and gym were all spotlessly clean and specialist facials and
body treatments (for an extra cost) were also available. Hot tub outside was fabulous
and overlooked the small lake.

Food - breakfast continental or full english cooked and served beautifully and as much tea and coffee as you can drink. Diiner - Chef prepared some fabulously tasty meals with a choice from 3 set meals or from their varied menu. It may have been a bargain priced break but we could not fault the quality and quantity. A very imaginative and talented Chef.

Overall we wished we could have stayed longer. We left feeling very relaxed and trying
to plan our next visit which hopefully will be soon.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

i bought a mother and daughter voucher for my mum and grandma and they was very dissapointed with their day. They was supposed to get a robe and they didnt, they was supposed to have their treatment done at the same time but there was only 1 lady so my grandma had to wait 2 hours in a waiting room. There wasnt anyone around to tell them what to do or where to go. When they went for lunch there soup was cold and the restaurant was cold. The massage was really good but everything else was dissapointing. I wouldnt recommend to a friend and the value for money was poor.

• Stayed January 2011
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review on trip advisor regarding your spabreak at the hotel.
It is with regret that I note that your mum and grandma did not fully appreciate the experience.
We have over the last few months spend a lot of money on the spa facilities and are keen on getting the services right every time. Further remedies we have taken in the employment of a dedicated leisure club manager to ensure all guests enjoy their time with us.

Nevertheless I thank you for taking the time to write your comments allowing us to take decisive action.

With thanks,

Management and team
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

We were very pleased to be given a complimentary upgrade to an executive room - I would hate to see the standard rooms though. Room 2, where we stayed was very cold for the first few days and we asked for a heater to allow us to sit in the room without coats on. The finish of the woodwork was very poor with some wood not fixed to the wall securely. We had no bedside lamps and when we asked for them, only one of the two was working. It then transpired that a socket was faulty. The restaurant was also cold and I noticed another lady, who was heavily pregnant, sitting with a coat over her legs to keep her warm. Other than the restaurant temperature, all other issues were resolved within the first two days. We did want to sit in the hotel's lounge but the fire was never lit and was also cold, as was the bar area. We retired to our room very quickly each night because of the temperature of these rooms. Breakfast on the first morning consisted of some fruit and pastries as no staff were around to ask for a hot drink or full cooked breakfast. We waited for nearly fifteen minutes and then had to leave to attend booked treatments in the spa. This was brought to the attention of the reception staff but no apology was given.

On the plus side the food was absolutely wonderful and the staff were very friendly. The beautician was also very friendly and very good at her job.

Overall the biggest issue for us was the lack of heating in all areas of the hotel.

I would also suggest that you avoid at least rooms 2 and 3, as the hotel office is above them and the staircase to it and also the floor above are very creaky and noisy.

Whilst we would recommend this hotel to friends, we would not advise a visit when the weather is cold. It is very handy for Leeds airport too, being about a mile away from it.

On the plus side, the food was excellent and the service very friendly.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your experience on tripadvisor regarding Chevin Country Park.

It is very regretful that you felt that certain areas of the hotel felt cold. However I am pleased to inform you that we have already taken action on this and have assest this and can confirm that these issues have been fully resolved.
The maintenance problems you had have also been dealt with.

It is however very pleasing to hear to you so much enjoyed your spa treatments and I will ensure these comments are shared with the staff in the spa.

Again my thanks for your feedback,

Managment and staff
lisaleeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

My partner, young baby and I have just returned from a wonderful stay at this fantastic hotel where we stayed for one evening last night. We live very close by in Cookridge and had booked an evening here as part of the Leeds Charity Unleashed Gift Book I purchased (where companies support local charities). We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon and were greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist. We then made our way to lodge 51 which was just a stone's throw away from the main hotel. We decided to make use of the leisure facilities which were very clean and tried out the sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, pool and outdoor hot tub (which was the best as a great experience in the freezing temperatures - basking in the wonderful hot bubbles and overlooking the picturesque lake outside!). The best part of our stay has to be the beautiful lakeside restaurant overlooking this lake. We found the setting wonderful and the restaurant with its mood lighting very pleasant. I am a real foodie and eat out very regularly and have to say I thought the food quality, taste and presentation absolutely fantastic. I ordered duck pate, chicken with spinach (veg and mash included) and panacotta dessert and every course was delicious!... I also thought it was great value at around £60 for 2 for a 3 course meal and glass of wine each. Today the breakfast was also great and I cannot praise this hotel enough. I have recommended this hotel to friends already and will be considering choosing the restaurant for future family occasions and birthdays. I hope all the staff are congratulated as appreciate the manager reads these reviews which demonstrates the care and attention to detail that they provide. Ignore any past comments/negative reviews as I am a regular trip advisor user and I cannot fault this hotel - from a very happy guest. Lisa and Chris.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Dear Lisa,

That is a great way to start the New Year!! Thank you very much and I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with all my staff.

I must admit that the outdoor hot tub is spectacular especially when so cold outside but I prefer the indoor steam room better this time of year.

Once again my thanks and look forward to welcoming you back...and family.

Managment and team.
wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Cut and paste from website :"take advantage of the hotel’s facilities including the hotel bar, Snug lounge, Lakeside Restaurant, swimming pool, sauna/steam room, outdoor walk in hot tub, Jacuzzi, gym.". Should point out that no one under 16 is allowed to use any facilities in Healthclub but the pool. Difficult for a family bonding time with mid teens. This is the only hotel we have found with these restrictions and should be made clear by the Hotel prior to booking.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your comments on trip advisor.
I must point out that the hotel very much welcomes children of all ages and there are many things for them to do.
We have several areas in the hotel where children can enjoy themselves, as an example we have a computer in our snug, supervised, children can play computer games. There is also the woodland walk that goes round our 33 acre forest for young and old to enjoy the landscape and wildlife.
Indeed there are certain restrictions in areas, these are there to ensure children’s safety as we do have a responsibility for their welfare.
Thanking you for your feedback.

Management and Team
Wakefield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Having stayed here last year on the full board package we have the opportunity to stay again which we were very excited about. The staff are always very friendly and helpful I could not fault them in any way. The only couple of gripes I have is how cold it was in our room, we were told there was a heating problem and were given a small oil filled radiator which to be honest didnt do much. We were then moved to an outside cabin room which was much warmer and bigger than our original room it was fabulous.

Unfortunately the cold problem was everywhere in the main building, I had to sit with my coat over my shoulders in the bar and in the restaurant whilst having my meal.. On retiring to bed that evening we discovered the mattress was so hard with springs poking through that it was impossible to have a decent nights sleep. I appreciate that whilst lots of brand new mattresses would be costly, maybe some mattress toppers might help.

I have to say I absolutely love this hotel and whilst there was a few problems with the heating and a lumpy hard mattress I still had a great time. Once again top marks to all the staff for trying to make our stay pleasant and confortable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and it is great to see guests coming back to the hotel.
In regards to the heating I must agree that the problem we had have now been fully resolved.

If you are looking at staying again keep an eye out for our website as 2011 is going to full of great offers.

Thanking you again and looking forward to the next visit,

Managment and team.
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Room quality - no heating in snowy freezing temperatures - radiator not working - did complain and were given a small oil filled radiator which was no good in heating a executive double sized room. Freezing cold!! Did complain again, but!
Breakfast, was told, wedding breakfast would start at 9.30am that was a poor joke hardly anything left no staff serving or clearing away dirty crockery from previous guest that had already sat. For their reduced price £125 for Room No.3 Executive type description!!, was reduced from £145, because of the the lengthy pre-booking for the wedding. To be quite honest if I knew what I was paying for, I would have stayed at Premier Inn not far away and would have been comfortable at half the price. I could then allowed for taxi fares after the wedding.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback on the hotel.
This feedback is vital for us to ensure that we can ongoingly improve our product.

It is very dissapointing to read that you did not fully enjoy yor stay with us. I have taken emmediate action and have fully inspected the heating situation in your room and can confirm that this is now fully operational. Due tot he cold weather we have even added small heaters in the rooms, where requested to ensure guest comfort at all times.

Once again my thanks for your feedback,

Managment and team

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!