“Great Stay - 3rd November” 5 of 5 stars

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yorkgate, Otley LS21 3NU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Otley
Pudsey, England, United Kingdom
“Great Stay - 3rd November”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Have just come back from Chevin Lodge and i have to say it was a fantastic experiance, 4 people stayed in the lodge we had someone in the next lodge but could not hear them, dont know if they heard us,the staff could not have been more helpful, we had gone as a surprise for a friends birthday, the receptionist new we were going to decorate the lodge she rang the other 2 to let them know when we had arrived, i am quite a fussy eater and the waiting staff were helpfull in what i might like would go back tomorrow keep up the good work every one at the chevin

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear Michelle,

Many thanks for your review and am delighted that you and your friends had such a great time.
Evenmore pleasing is that my team were there ready to help you when you needed it.

864 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I am writing to express very great disappointment at the quality of the stay at Chevin this past weekend. The room was positively grubby, with the exterior entrance path poorly lit and the door covered in cobwebs. I understand that this a 'country lodge', however, there was more than a few days of 'growth'. Inside, the room was small and very tired looking. The bedding was of poor quality, the mattress a different size than the base and the pillows old and lumpy. The telephone handset has probably not seen a damp cloth wiped over it this year. The bathroom was similarly tacky and the bath mat should be cleaned or replaced; it was past its sell-by date. The noise insulation from the adjacent suite was, I think it's fair to say, 'paper thin' and we were kept awake on the Friday night by some very noisy Liverpudlians, playing the TV and chatting/joking until 3.00am when, I am afraid, we had to bang on the wall in complaint. I say Liverpudlian not with any intent to be rude to Liverpudlians (I myself was born in Liverpool), but it goes to show how poor the insulation was that I could recognise the regional dialect. On Saturday night the TV reception went blank on a few channels, but shortly thereafter dead on all of them. A deputy manager came to the room and simply suggested we go to the bar. Given we did not want to do this, we asked and were moved to Room 69; the TV did not work much better there, but it was a much larger room. The public areas in the main lodge need to be attended to, with rolled up carpets and chairs stacked in corridors. Nothing particularly inviting and the bar dreary.

The one redeeming aspect of Chevin was the Lakeside Restaurant. The restaurant manager and servers were very friendly, polite and the food was very good (if pricey). I would like to thank them for their service, which was of a good standard given that I think they were 1 or possibly 2 people short and therefore very rushed.

I would not recommend Chevin to anyone and will not be looking to the Crerar chain for further stays. Leaving was a pleasure.

Room Tip: Try the nearest Premier Inn..
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your review, I was however extremely dissapointed to read your comments.
On the outside there can be small webs visable and we activly work to reduce this on a regular basis, clearly on this occassion we got it wrong and have taken emmediate action to resolve this for all our lodges.

It is difficult for the hotel to control noise levels from other rooms, eventhough all rooms are insulated, excessive noise can be a burden. I have discussed this with my night team to keep a better eye on this and contact my guests incase there are excessive levels of noise.

I can also understand your frustration in regards to the TV reception, unfortunatly this was due to an increase in the freeview signal and could not be controlled by the hotel. What we have done is contact our provider who have made adjustments to our receiver to resolve this problem.
Iwas however pleased that my team tried to rectify this and offer you an upgrade to one of our suites free of charge.

Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for a friends wedding. 'Lodges' were small, bathroom was dated, shower mat was mouldy and the staff were useless.

My partner and I were in lodge 57 which for £175 a night has no bath, no bible in the draw, no coat hangers, no dressing table and no shelves in the bathroom to put toiletries.

The bar ran out of snacks and most guests were hungry as there was not enough food provided at the evening do. My partner and I apparently managed to spend £104.00 on the bar tab and he apparently went to the bar 12 times which would have meant us both having 12 drinks each. I'm currently calorie counting and I know that I stopped at drink number 7. however it was our friends wedding so we just paid and went as we were embarrassed and ashamed that we had spent £200 on an evening do.

Breakfast was appalling. Guests of the wedding who had dent stayed the night had to pay £17.25 for 'unlimited toast, cereal, yoghurt and tea and coffee'. The toast took over 10minutes to come and we were only provided with 6 halves of toast for 12 guess. Breakfast itself once ordered took an edge and the brides breakfast (vegetarian) took so long she had filled up on bread by the time it had come. She had also been served potato and leek sausage when she is allergic to potato. She had informed the hotel of her dietary requirements.

On a brighter note the bed was so comfy! i drifted off to sleep right away and diddnt have a bad back in the morning!

Dear Keeley,

Many thanks for your review, It is however very dissapointing that you felt that the service we provided was below standard. I have personally looked in to this and room 57 has all the amenities you mentioned. Indeed room 57 does not have a bath but has got a very comfortable shower.
Indeed there are many drinks on your room bill. All room charges are always back up by signed receipts from the bar incase an error is made. Having reviewed this they all seem correct.

I have discussed your comments regarding breakfast with my restaurant manager to ensure that delays are prevented where possible, unfortunatly when many guests arrive at the same time som delay is possible. Inregards to the breakfast prices these are clearly listed on all our menus.

Thanking you again,

North Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Our 3rd stay here for 2 nights. Many rooms refurbished/smartened up since our previous visit last autumn. Spacious warm clean room. Shame that settee removed to be replaced by a couple of small chairs you would not really feel the urge to sit/relax on. 6 course evening meal - scrumptious local food, though choices reduced now, unless you opt from the a la carte menu. Pool, spa and hot tubs immaculately clean, as was gym. Nothing too much trouble for the staff - service with a smile [ a rarity these days in some hotel establishments!] and a credit to management.
Disappointed to find spa/beauty treatments fully booked during our stay, therefore would advise to book a few weeks ahead of stay.
No doubt we will return again to sample the excellent Yorkshire hospitality!

Room Tip: Rooms in lodges immediately adjacent to main hotel lighter/ more spacious than some lodge rooms fu...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Alexandra,

Many thanks indeed and am ddelighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Indeed the spa is very busy, however let us know when you are staying with us again and I'm sure we can arrange a spa treatment for you.

Looking forward toyour next stay,

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed here recently (room 7) and chose the hotel due to its proximity to Leeds Bradford Airport (about 7 minutes away by taxi).

The hotels location is excellent and very picturesque, a far cry from the majority of hotels in the area. I warmed to the "log cabin" type effect and found it quaint, we were accommodated in the main hotel area. The room was spotlessly clean and well laid out using the best of the very limited space.

We popped into the bar for a drink and afternoon snack, whereupon i ordered a "Yorkshire" ham sandwich. What appeared was a Palma ham sandwich in what could best be described as "supermarket" bread. I brought this to the attention to the very helpful barman only to find out that there was currently no chef and that he had made the sandwich rather than see us go hungry. This "can do" attitude typified that which i experienced. I complained no further as the barman had tried his best to meet my needs, the staff really do try here, oh and Palma ham costs considerably more than the listed Yorkshire variety.

I do have 2 issues with this hotel:

1. The bed in our room was minute and wholly unacceptable! it was not even the standard size of most single beds. This resulted in neither of us experiencing any sleep during our stay. I would've brought this to the attention of a manager but, as there was not one present i did not wish to vent my frustration on the extremely well meaning and polite staff who, even with the best will were unable to help.

2. Food - This is a 3* hotel which charges 5* prices. The 7 course "taster menu" appeared to be well received at dinner and the other dishes, while expensive for their quality and content, were palatable. Breakfast on the other hand will set you back £18!!! i chose to have cereal and a coffee and was summarily charged £15!! once again the very kind staff (who have no control over this) informed me that they are the only two choices available. In all my years of traveling, i think that this is the most expensive cereal that i have had. Having just arrived from the Champs Ellyses, i did not expect to pay more in Yorkshire.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We held our civil ceremony at this venue and were treated like VIPs. A very special day where nothing was too much trouble - even when we got locked out of the bridal suite. The attention to detail and the overall quality of service and food made it a weekend to remember.Highlt recommend it to anyone wanting a small but special celebration. At no time did we ever feel we were part of a production line or corporate event

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Kay,

Many thanks for your review.
It is always great to hear that guests have enjoyed themselves so much, really that is what we are in the business for.
Rest assured that I will forward your feedback to the team.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Arranged to meet friends here for 3 nights.First room we were given was in the main building on the first floor, our friends were given a small log cabin.The water supply to our room was a bit dodgy, when in the shower it would go hot ,then cold. However the staff at the hotel could not have been better & promptly gave us another room. The rooms are a bit on the dark side & are made to look like log cabins & could do with a good dust down.As for the food & drink, this was excellent, the full English was well presented with plenty to go around even if you were last to get there, the evening meal has 6 courses, although 3 of these are samples from the main menu.The outdoor hot tub,pool & fitness centre have all new equipment & is free to guests.
The Only drawback for this hotel is that it lies on the flight path for Leeds/Bradford airport & the first flight in the morning is 6.30.
Overall this was a good place to spend a few days relaxing with friends.
Most of the staff are local to this area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!