“Nice hotel in pleasant location” 4 of 5 stars

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yorkgate, Otley LS21 3NU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Salford, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel in pleasant location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel consisting of multiple log cabins in a beautiful part of Yorkshire overlooking a small lake within the hotel's grounds. It is small enough to feel intimate, yet large enough to provide a wide range of facilities. Staff were friendly and when we had a problem with the room they were very keen to help. The log cabin room was small, but nicely decorated and had all the nice additions including LCD TV, hospitality tray and refreshing shower. The spa facility was excellent, especially the outdoor jacuzzi, although it might be better if they extended the opening hours a little longer. The two bar meals we had were fantastic - deliciously cooked and well presented, in a homely yet modern bar area. In the morning, breakfast was served by pleasant staff, my only comment being that the choice of food was rather limited for breakfast, albeit enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2011
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your kind comments and it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Indeed the chalets do give a magical feel to the hotel even on a rainy day.
I will ensure that your comments are shared with my team and thank you for them.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Management and team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Manchester,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

Just returned from a fantastic break at this hotel, a treat for me and surprise for my other half, for our anniversary which i purchased through groupon.
Got a fantastic deal including massage for 2, use of all the spa facilities, 3 course evening meal and 1 nights stay.
When we arrived at the hotel it was too early to check in however i had booked our treatments and so we made our way to the Spa. Here we had the pleasure of experiencing a back neck and shoulder massage and use of all the facilities. The girls in the spa were lovely however i do think they would benefit from another member of staff as when we arrived the therapists were in treatments and there was no one around to inform we had arrived. However the massage was a lovely treat. As our stay commenced on a Thursday it was slightly quieter, this meant we had most of the spa facilities to ourselves. It was blowing a gale outside however the outdoor hot tub was a fun added bonus. Relaxing in the bubbling hot, outdoor jacuzzi overlooking the lake was amazing. We stayed in the spa for 4 hours and enjoyed every minute!
We opted for lunch at the hotel lounge which was like being in a log cabin, really cosy and friendly. The food was tasty and very reasonably priced considering normal hotel prices.
After this we checked in an went to investigate the room. The room was slightly small however clean, lovely interior and patio doors which opened up onto the lake which we werent expecting! All the rooms appear to be designed as if you were in a log cabin however with all the home comforts. On the outerskirts of the lake were the family sized log cabins which looked lovely.
The hotel is situated in the middle of a woodland which really is lovely and the restaurant where we had dinner overlooked the lake. Pre booking dinner ensured we had a table in the conservatory which overlooked the lake. Our deal included 3 courses from a rotating daily menu. We received complementary canapes before wine and 3 courses. The meal was delightfull, the only problem was the deal i had bought was for a set menu and this wasnt explained at dinner. It appeared the meals we had chosen incurred a surcharge, however upon checking out i brought this to the attention of the receptionist and she was good enough to deduct this and the bottle of wine we had from the final bill, due to the miss understanding.
After dinner we retired to the hotel bar which is small however due to our stay being out of season seemed quite busy. The night barman/ porter was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
Once back in the room you could hear people venturing down the corridors now and again however were not too hard to please and it didnt cause any problems.
The next morning we had breakfast again overlooking the lake which was great and there was a hot/cold buffet style to choose from which was very enjoyable. After this we had a walk around the woodland grounds past bthe tennis courts and past the log chalets. Checkout was a breeze and the receptionist was very helpfull, she provided info of where we could go for the day and how to get there. We travelled to the nearby town of Ottley where it was market day and had a lovely day purchasing some great and unique bargains and then onto Skipton for the remainder of the day. I would definately reccomend a trip to Ottley are there are many tea rooms, shops and restaurants.
All in all we had an absolutely fantastic time it was very relaxing and great value for money, we would definately go back anytime! Enjoy !

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the feedback you have given us on your stay and how much you enjoyed this. it is very pleasing to hear how much you enjoyed the spa facilities, bar and restaurant.

I will ensure that your comments are shared with all my staff and will thank them for their hard work.
Look forward to welcoming you back again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

I recently purchased a much needed break for my parents through a groupon deal. The date i had orgionally booked had to be re-arranged due to my fathers hospital admission. The staff were very sympathetic and were so accommodating. They changed the dates, with no hassle or charge incurred. Although my parents were unable to have their massage treatment (which was to great joy to my f wather) the staff upgraded my parents to a suite and they received a bottle of wine in their room.
On arrival my parents were amazed by the beautiful surrounding's, they were greeted by friendly staff , who were most helpful and accommodating. The staff on reception, at the restaurant and in the spa are so attentive to every detail and it is refreshing to have this exceptionally high standard of customer care.
The stay for my parents was very intimate and relaxing. The food in the restaurant - quality, taste and presentation was absolutely fantastic. The views were amazing, overlooking the lake in the restaurant. My parents had a wonderful stay at this hotel, so much that there is now a group of 14 individuals booking to have a break at this hotel. My parents have even suggested that i get married here. Hence the group booking and the viewing of the grounds and facilities. I can not thank the staff enough, my parents happiness especially during a difficult time for us as a family was priceless. I have already contacted the hotel in relation to further bookings and once again i was greeted by excellent customer service and accommodating staff. I frequently stay at 4 and 5 star hotels and never received this high standard of care and service.
You are highly recommended and i look forward to my stay with yourselves.

Mr and Mrs Jeffers
stayed on 4/3/11

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for these excellent comments and I will ensure that these are shared with all my staff that helped ensuring that your parents enjoyed their stay.
I sincerely hope that the health of your father is further improving and send him my kindest regards.

We offcourse will look forward to receiving you again at the hotel and if you require any help in arranging your wedding day with us we would be more the delighted to help you with this.

With thanks,

hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

My partner, dog and I have just returned from a nights stay at the Chevin Park Hotel. Our package included dinner, bed and breakfast all of which were superb. We also treated ourselves to a massage at the hotels spa, which was compact but very relaxing with everything you need for a relaxing break.

The hotels staff, from the moment we arrived were welcoming and flexible, and even handed us a map with directions for the best walks in the area and tips on where to stop off for afternoon tea!
The hotel itself is completely decked out in wood, which gives it a cosy, relaxed feel. Our bedroom was a wood cabin set in the hotels grounds, which was a little dated, but clean and spacious.

We would stay here again without hesitation.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind comments and am sure that you and the dog have enjoyed the beautiful countryside her at Chevin.
I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed the spa and the food offering in the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Management and team.
Manchester, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel on Friday 25th February. It was ok… some good, some bad…

The Spa

We started our trip with a massage and I must say that the spa was lovely. The girls working there were really friendly and all in all, a nice treatment

The Spa Facilities

The pool, sauna and steam were all nice. The outdoor hot tub overlooking the lake was an absolute highlight. GORGEOUS! The let down was the changing rooms, all the lockers were taken and the floor was filthy. Ok, it had been raining so muddy shoes meant muddy floors, but it was not cleaned over the few hours I was there. The spa facilities were a total highlight.

The Room

The room basic and dated, to be fair, a total let down. Our radiator didn't work so there was a plug in radiator that smelt of burning and only heated directly in front of it. The room also smelt damp (probably due to the lack of decent heating) and there was some black mould marks around the window. The bathroom was the biggest let down, a very old dated suite (like early 80s) and lots of black mould. The shower took a while to get hot but decent power to it. Hifi and TV in the room were handy.

The Restaurant

We ate in the restaurant in the evening. The food was ok, it looked better than it tasted, but it was ok. The staff were a mixed bag, generally very young and disinterested – we asked for water several times and it never came. Maybe they were too busy? Shame though. The restaurant itself is very pretty – I would describe it as "half way there" – looks good, but tastes not so great.

Breakfast – a real shame. Fatty, cheap bacon, stewed scrambled eggs etc etc but the sausages (and I don't normally like them) were yummy. Lots of people were waiting for tables as the staff weren't clearing them down. We got the last table before the queues, thank god!

There is a nice quiet room opposite the bar, nice to relax with a drink after dinner.

All in all, the facilities were nice, but the rooms were a let down. This is the type of hotel were you are relaxing in your room, so they definitely need a face lift. If they sorted the rooms and asked there waiting on staff to smile a bit more and actually bring what you ask, I would return for the hot tub alone!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your feedback which is most appreciative. It is great to read that you enjoyed the spa facilities that have been refurbished only last year.
I do regret that certain elements of your stay you did not enjoy as much and can ensure you that we always aim to improve our services on a regular basis in terms of investment and or training.

Again my thanks,

Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

We stayed in a log cabin room recently at Chevin Park - the room was £100 for the night. I was expecting it to be fantastic for the price, but it was simply average. The bed was horrendously uncomfortable and the room was quite small. On the plus side, it was very peaceful and scenic, the wedding we attended was handled very professionally, the food was good and the staff were very helpful. We didn't have a chance to sample the spa etc, maybe that's where we could have seen some value for money!

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the feedback that you have given us regarding your stay at the hotel.
It is great to read that you enjoyed the wedding celebrations and am sure it was a great day.
I will ensure that you comments regarding the staff and quality of the food are shared with them.

I also noted the comments regarding your room and bed and very much regret this. However I am pleased to inform you that we ongoingly are refurbishing bedroom fixtures and fittings and this includes beds.

Again my thanks for your valued feedback.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

Having read some critical reviews, we were unsure what to expect. However, to those of you who are yet to experience the Chevin Country Hotel, please do not be put off by other less favourable reviews. We had a fabulous overnight stay in one of the recently refurbished lodges. The room was decorated to an excellent standard, very clean and comfortable. The spa facilities were excellent, and we had a relaxing afternoon. The food was excellent, and all the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was superb, with a extensive selection, to cater for every appetite. We finished off our stay with a very relaxing massage. Overall a perfectly enjoyable and relaxing stay, with no complaints whatsoever. Would recommend to anyone and we would defintely return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind comments and they are appreciated.
I will ensure that your comments are shared with the staff to show them your appreciation.

As alwasy we look forward to welcoming you back.

Managment and team

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!