“Enjoyed the stay but won't go back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rose Hall Main Road, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
Toronto
“Enjoyed the stay but won't go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Where do I start...the week we stayed was March 8th to March 15th. We were delayed by Sky Service - our flight was at 6:20 AM and we were at the airport at 3 AM...no sleep. Flight was delayed until 1:30 PM...so we lost a day of our vacation. Not a good start but not the fault of the resort.
I will preface this by saying I am easy going, relaxed and not very picky. When I go to Cuba, I don't expect a five star to have good food. When I go to the Mayan Rivieria and stay at a five star...I expect a heck of a lot more.
It was my second time in Jamaica and to be honest, I won't go back to this resort.
The drinks were good, the beer was fine. They upgraded us to a new room on the second day to be closer to our friends who were on the other side of the compound. No room issues. I had a sore back the entire trip from the beds...not sure why...they seemed comfortable.
The spa room was bad, they hot tub wasn't hot, the steam room was not working and we weren't allowed to use but the massage, deep tissue, was amazing. If not for the massages I wouldn't have been able to walk by the end of the week.

Food - the a la cartes in order from best to worst. All a la cartes have buffets for desserts and appetizers. Never seen that before at any resort.
1) Uncle Tony's steak house. Tenderloin was good but ordered medium and because it was so thick, got a rare steak. Sent it back and it was perfect.
2) The japanese style restaurant. Food very salty but enjoyed the entertainment value of the chef cooking in front of you. Beef and shrimp we ordered.
3) The other one...can't remember the name. We booked at 8 pm and the food on the buffet table was either completely empty or old. We asked for fresh food to be made. We are a party of six so it is a big deal when the appetizers are empty. The mains were okay but nothing that memorable. I can't even remember what I had.

Beach: Stay away from the Lilliput village - creepy.
Water was cold...all of us tiptoed in and only the men stayed in...eventually you acclimatize to it. The water had lots of floating seeweed but the waves were almost non existent and the water was the crazy blue you see in all the caribeean pictures.
We prefferred the Suites beach as the drinks there were mixed better and it was quieter.

Pool: Preferred to move over to the suites side, they have a lazy river, a waterpolo court adn a pool bar with better shade and the drinks are better. It also had better music.

Entertainment - Rookie staff, two nights of seven were good. I witnessed better nightlife shows in mexico, cuba and St Maarten. Waste of time.

Disco - we went one night and hung out with professional dancers from the staff, no actual tourists attended but still had fun.

Overall Food expereince - not a five star
Breakfast - Thank God for omlettes...they ROCK. If you don't like eggs, bacon and toast...not good.
Lunch: Hamburgers were like Big Mac's...not real beef...nachos and french fries were good. Salads were good. Typically had a lot of cheese.
Buffet at Night - go early, food doesn't stay fresh long. The one night when the comment cards were due...they had a sushi bar, a crepe dessert tray and a whole bunch of extras. Didn't see them before or after...

The food it not five star...don't even bother to order the room service...terrible.

Room: Good size room NO PAY PER VIEW MOVIE CHANNELS....that sucked. Would have like to have rented the odd movie on the quiet nights.

Cleanliness: Had to ask the maid twice to come back to clean the washroom. We left a tip mid week for 10 american and the service degraded after that.

Towel service was good.

Bought a bottle of Appleton rum from a staff member for ten american.

Instead of using the hotel calling cards...20 dollars american for 20 minutes, we used the hotel staff (bell boys) who all carried cell phones...We basically paid three dollars canadian for each call...each call didn't last more than ten minutes.

All in all the beach was nice, the pool was okay the entertainment staff needs a lot of improvement, I couldn't even drink them funny, the whole thing was just okay.
Not going back because there is better out there.

Try the suites or the Grand..better value...most likely.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

I had the most wonderful time at Iberostar in Montego Bay for my best friend's wedding. I travelled alone, meeting up with a large group that was arriving sporadically through the week.
When I arrived at the hotel, I was a few hours early for check in. Gregory, who soon became my favorite star friend, walked with me to the check-in desk and explained that I was alone and tired, and I immediately was shown to my room! The room happened to be an ocean/pool view room that took my breath away the minute I looked out the balcony. A Red Stripe was opened for me immediately, and I was shown the amenities for my room, which was impeccably clean. Finding my friends was easy, and the entire staff knew my best friend and that her wedding was approaching. Our group of 33 people was assigned our own star friends, who made certain that we were having fun at all times. The minute the sky looked dark, my friends and I were inside with a drink playing shuffleboard or other games.
The food was delicious. There were many american options, but my favorite was the fresh tropical fruit and juices, and rice and jerk chicken. The ala carte restaurants were ok (we went to japanese and steakhouse) but the buffets offered so much that I actually preferred them. My room was always stocked with Red Stripe, water, and Coca-Cola Light (hehe) because they knew that is what I liked to drink the best. The pool and beach were wonderful, there were no rules and everyone just seemed very relaxed. The evening shows were entertaining, and the karaoke bar gave our group a wonderful "bachelor/bachelorette" party the night before the wedding.
The day of the wedding was the only gloomy day of our week. The ceremony was taken indoors seamlessly and was still gorgeous. A steel drum band played immediately following the ceremony, and there were cocktails and hors d'ovuers available. The reception at the steak house was awesome.
I could go on forever, but this place is beautiful, everyone is friendly, and I have never been so relaxed in my life, even at a place with lots of children. I would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

We stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach (cheapest of the three) March 4-11, 2009. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, without one thing to complain about. Once we were shown to our room, my husband noticed that the bar fridge was empty. When he went looking for the girl working the floor, he noticed a room that had a much nicer balcony and view than our current room. When he found out that the room was no longer occupied, he called the front desk to ask if we could switch rooms. The front desk staff was very accommodating and within minutes we were switched.

The rooms were cleaned daily, with fresh towels every morning, sometimes even twice a day. Usually while we were out having dinner, we received a turn down service for our beds with chocolates on the pillows. If the towels had been used, they were replaced with fresh ones. Anytime a request was made for a restocking of our fridge, it was done within minutes.

My husband and I enjoyed every meal, whether it was at one of the a la carte restaurants (we ate all three, Cajun being our favourite) or the buffet. Staff at all the restaurants were very attentive and friendly.

We were always well taken care of with regards to drinks whether we were around the pool or on the beach. Staff regularly came around to ask if we needed anything.

Premium alcohol was served at the lobby bar and the staff was prepared to make any type of drink you would like.

We found the staff to always be friendly and in a good mood. Everyone seemed to be singing...a happy group of people.

We did a few excursions, and again, found the people in Jamaica to be so incredibly friendly. We're definitely planning a return trip.

This was our second trip to an iberostar resort and it certainly won't be our last.

We had a wonderful time, even the overcast, cooler weather didn't put a damper on our vacation.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Sheboygan, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

This has been the most pleasant stay at any all inclusive we have been to (4 total). We stayed at the Iberostar in Cozumel and loved the hotel... but got sick from the water.. so we decided to give Jamaica a try.
Everything was wonderful... we had a missing baggage situation upon arrival, but it was found within 2 days... they really did help us try to find it and did not give up. To retrieve our bag it cost $60. The mix up was at the airport with the help that put our things onto the van... please make sure they have the correct bags BEFORE departure to the hotel. Things will go much smoother.
The beautiful hotel is designed very nicely and shows some signs of wear but not much. The food is good and we tried the Jambalya restaurant and everything was great. Service and food. I ate the salmon and my hubby ate the grouper. Very good.

We had room service 2 nights and the first night was very fast, second was slow and they forgot a dessert. It was all very good and we ate it all... : )

The weather was somewhat overcast and windy, but a few days sunny. We both got a sunburn and had to stay out of the sun the last day we were there. The tv channels are good if you have to stay in... we watched our favorite shows while basking as the color of lobsters.

We really can't say anything bad about the hotel. Just wish we would not have to leave... we planned on a 5 day vacation/not knowing what it would be like... but to our suprise it was awesome and did not want to leave!

I give it an A+ for service and beauty!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

This was our first trip to Jamaica, Mo Bay. We stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall BEACH, the cheaper one of the 3 resorts of Iberostar. The location & staff at Iberostar is what makes this place amazing!! We arrived on Feb. 20th until the 27th. The airport is nice (when departing don't buy any duty free from the 1st duty free shop go to the 2nd shop close to Gate 15, alot cheaper!) from there to the resort it took about 20-25 mins. We checked in fine, friendly service, but no cool refreshments upon arrival. We got room #1131 beachfront suite nice, clean, spacious & the view was perfect! We watched the sunset first & then walked to the Main Buffet were they had lobster & the staff were very friendly. They had a great variety of food, curried lamb, chicken, goat, jerk everyday, pastas, seafoods, roast beef, turkey, the usual hotdogs, burgers, fries, check out the BBQ on the beach, delicious! They also have buffet at the Steak House, except for dinner. Book your dinner reservations early so if you don't have a good meal you can still catch the buffet. The Cajun is the worst, but the Japanese & the Steak House are good! At the Japanese the Chef puts on a lil show (bring camera). The entertainment is good keeps you entertained & if you want to participate in the show just make sure you can have a good laugh at yourself too!! Don`t miss the entertainment on the beach (Thursday). At the Main bar you'll probably meet Ricardo, Gregory, Nadia, Dillon, & at the Music Bar Oren, all great guys we had a blast with them...Ricardo makes great drinks for the ladies if your tired of the usual. The nightclub & spa are in the next resort (SUITES) you can take a cart or walk a couple of mins over. The other 2 resort guests can come & play & eat at the BEACH, but you cannot do the same at the other 2. If you ask the bellmen in the front they'll offer to show you around their resorts! Ok, the beach is narrow when walking & the BEACH sand is definitely nicer than the SUITES (too rough) but best sand is at the GRAND. The water is clear & beautiful & you can walk out 20 yds & the water comes up to your shoulders, you can see your feet, lil crabs, & fish as well as floating makerts they can`t come close to the beach but you can go out to them and check out their stuff. Plenty of room on the beach always find a chair & lots of shade. When we went, there was a cool breeze but it was nice in the sun. One day it rained for half the day so we went shoppin and later the sun came out & it was humid! The Lilliput Craft Village next to the resort is a (enter at your own risk, not part of the resort) great place to bargain. Lots of people go over from the resort, the people are friendly! The Dunn`s River was fun, half day trip & worth buying the DVD they sell of you climbing up ($39US). The Holiday Inn Shopping is a good place to check out souvenirs and things. We only had one problem & that was our room key card wasn`t working and we went to front desk a couple of times to get a new card (1am) and when the bartenders noticed how many times we walked back and forth, they offered some help and we had the night Mgr. Shewa, night maintenance guy, Ricardo the bartender, and us in the hallway at 2am having a good time trying to get the lock to work. We got in but the door lock had to be replaced that same morning at 8am and we didn`t leave our room until it was done even though they said it was ok to leave. All in all we had a great time made good friends with the locals & loved every minute of our time in Jamaica...would go back next week if we could! Tip the staff well they do a hell of a job to make your vacation fun, memorable and give you the feel of Jamaica!! Hope this helps you out! Ya mon!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

We had traveled a lot, and this is by far the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. 3 stars would be a better description. Service was bad, the staff was not accommodating whatsoever. Bring cash with you, because in order to get any decent service, you have to give tips/bribes. Bracelet policy is unacceptable, especially when not having many choices for food. Same food in every restaurant, and in order to get to the restaurant (if you don't want to eat buffet food) -- you have to have reservation, which is difficult to get (only 2-3 allowed per stay, and all times are booked). Even if you are lucky to get reservation, you still end up eating the same buffet food that they bring to you. The buffet food is horrible, its the same food day after day, not much different between lunch and diner.
Beach towel policy is stupid. You have to have an access card which you need to exchange for a towel, if you forget your towel on the beach, they pick it up and then make you pay $10 for a misplaced towel.
And if you bring kids, you need to ask for an additional card, otherwise your child won't get a towel.

We had a 2 year old child with us, and we all had to sleep in the same bed. In the last resort, we got a separate bed for a child.

Summary: This is a cheap resort, and you are getting a really bad value for your money. Add another $500 (7 night stay), and you could be staying in much better place.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
toronto, canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

SHOUT OUT TO AL FROM PITTSBURG AND SHANE, CRAZY KENNY ET AL.
Went with an open mind. Have been to 5 stars elsewhere before. Not up to snuff in some ways. Minibar: only filled with beer, soda and water if you leave a tip. Certain important lights did not functioni, i.e. in the hall by the safe and the bathroom. Buffet at breakfast: had to do tricks to get another cup of coffee. Watch your beach towels for sure. Never had anyone ask me if I wanted a drink around the pool - got my own. Two sinks in the bathroom: one didn't work. Towels were replaced daily. Shower was great! Balcony: am 5`4``: could not see over the railing when sitting but could see in between the pillars. Great clothes rack on the balcony - a little too small though. Felt sorry for the workers there all the time - they made you feel that way. Entertainment in the theatre was good. Room service: ok once, second time: food was lousy and cold. It`s all about the tips I`m thinkin. Great entertainment staff: Shane, Crazy Kenny et al. Nice lifeguards. Not much for singles though! Met some nice people on my own. Food was good. Make your reservations as soon as you get there. Fitness centre: small, hot but not bad equipment if you can stand the heat. No professional trainers on hand. Guards at the border to the grand. Makes you feel like you are in the former West Berlin. Overall: I miss Jamaica. The grounds are well kept. Beach: ok I guess.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!