Where do I start...the week we stayed was March 8th to March 15th. We were delayed by Sky Service - our flight was at 6:20 AM and we were at the airport at 3 AM...no sleep. Flight was delayed until 1:30 PM...so we lost a day of our vacation. Not a good start but not the fault of the resort.
I will preface this by saying I am easy going, relaxed and not very picky. When I go to Cuba, I don't expect a five star to have good food. When I go to the Mayan Rivieria and stay at a five star...I expect a heck of a lot more.
It was my second time in Jamaica and to be honest, I won't go back to this resort.
The drinks were good, the beer was fine. They upgraded us to a new room on the second day to be closer to our friends who were on the other side of the compound. No room issues. I had a sore back the entire trip from the beds...not sure why...they seemed comfortable.
The spa room was bad, they hot tub wasn't hot, the steam room was not working and we weren't allowed to use but the massage, deep tissue, was amazing. If not for the massages I wouldn't have been able to walk by the end of the week.
Food - the a la cartes in order from best to worst. All a la cartes have buffets for desserts and appetizers. Never seen that before at any resort.
1) Uncle Tony's steak house. Tenderloin was good but ordered medium and because it was so thick, got a rare steak. Sent it back and it was perfect.
2) The japanese style restaurant. Food very salty but enjoyed the entertainment value of the chef cooking in front of you. Beef and shrimp we ordered.
3) The other one...can't remember the name. We booked at 8 pm and the food on the buffet table was either completely empty or old. We asked for fresh food to be made. We are a party of six so it is a big deal when the appetizers are empty. The mains were okay but nothing that memorable. I can't even remember what I had.
Beach: Stay away from the Lilliput village - creepy.
Water was cold...all of us tiptoed in and only the men stayed in...eventually you acclimatize to it. The water had lots of floating seeweed but the waves were almost non existent and the water was the crazy blue you see in all the caribeean pictures.
We prefferred the Suites beach as the drinks there were mixed better and it was quieter.
Pool: Preferred to move over to the suites side, they have a lazy river, a waterpolo court adn a pool bar with better shade and the drinks are better. It also had better music.
Entertainment - Rookie staff, two nights of seven were good. I witnessed better nightlife shows in mexico, cuba and St Maarten. Waste of time.
Disco - we went one night and hung out with professional dancers from the staff, no actual tourists attended but still had fun.
Overall Food expereince - not a five star
Breakfast - Thank God for omlettes...they ROCK. If you don't like eggs, bacon and toast...not good.
Lunch: Hamburgers were like Big Mac's...not real beef...nachos and french fries were good. Salads were good. Typically had a lot of cheese.
Buffet at Night - go early, food doesn't stay fresh long. The one night when the comment cards were due...they had a sushi bar, a crepe dessert tray and a whole bunch of extras. Didn't see them before or after...
The food it not five star...don't even bother to order the room service...terrible.
Room: Good size room NO PAY PER VIEW MOVIE CHANNELS....that sucked. Would have like to have rented the odd movie on the quiet nights.
Cleanliness: Had to ask the maid twice to come back to clean the washroom. We left a tip mid week for 10 american and the service degraded after that.
Towel service was good.
Bought a bottle of Appleton rum from a staff member for ten american.
Instead of using the hotel calling cards...20 dollars american for 20 minutes, we used the hotel staff (bell boys) who all carried cell phones...We basically paid three dollars canadian for each call...each call didn't last more than ten minutes.
All in all the beach was nice, the pool was okay the entertainment staff needs a lot of improvement, I couldn't even drink them funny, the whole thing was just okay.
Not going back because there is better out there.
Try the suites or the Grand..better value...most likely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This new 5-star- hotel is located in beautiful Montego Bay, Jamaica. Directly on the beach. Elegant colonial design. Water sports galore. Scuba diving. 3 specialty restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, VISIT US, INC. , Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Montego Bay
- Montego Bay Iberostar
- Iberostar Rose Hall Jamaica
- Iberostar Jamaica
- Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel Jamaica - Montego Bay