“Best birthday trip ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rose Hall Main Road, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Rose Hall
Frederick, Maryland
“Best birthday trip ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

This was my 40th birthday trip. Ive never been to jamaica so i really didn't know what to expect. Went for 5 days 4 nites. I'd heard alot of comments about the locals and how they live being depressing to some people. I guess since i'd heard that it didn't bother me, i was expecting to see plywood houses and etc. This is the first time i ever stayed at an Iberostar or all inclusive either. Well, despite the missing pool tiles(?) i had the greatest time. We arrived at the hotel around 1:30 in the afternoon so I did have to wait about 2 hours for my room to be ready but it was fine we went to the buffet and had a late lunch. It was only about a 20 to 30 minute bus ride to the hotel from the airport. We only ate at the buffet and the grill, i had alittle trouble finding things that apeeled to me but i have a funny stomach. My boyfriend though tried alittle of everything. The staff was great, johhny one of the bell hops was very helpfull and BIG momma, what a trip she is. Only took one trip to the falls, it was ok, the day was cloudy and had rained in the morning so maybe if it would have been sunny and hot it would have been better. Bad part leaving there to go back to the bus, locals pushing there goods on you. I want to go to the Dom Rep will try to stay at the Iberostar there as well had a wonderful time here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the beach water
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

2,576 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Polish first
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

We stayed for two weeks in Iberostar Jamaica
The hotel is magnificent, and we had an excellent time.
We tried all the restaurants no complaints , except the last night as the hotel got busier , When we went to the buffet restaurant tables were not being cleared or cleaned, found it difficult to find a clean table to have a meal.not enought staff on.
Out side grounds and pool area were kept very clean.
The entertainment staff round the pool put in a lot of effort to entertain you all day and night,the only down side was that we found out that they did not pay the trainee entertainers,they were taken on a two weeks training programe, some were still trainee five weeks later and still no pay , when asked if they had a job for them they were told no but you can stay on if you wish.( Slave labour)
Found the Jamaican people very frendly.
Definately would go back to Jamaica.

John & Evelyn Scotland

• Liked — Very Clean
  • Disliked — nothing
Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

We stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach for the last week of October. The resort is really nice, grounds are beautiful and the service is great.

Our room was beautiful, oceanview, everything worked and it was cleaned daily. The A/C controls were right next to the bed so you didn't have to wake up at night if you wanted to change the temp.

We liked all the restaurants, especially the Japanese and Steakhouse. I don't really understand the people in these reviews who say the food was "really bad".

The entertainment team works really hard to keep you entertained and the shows at night were also very good. They work long hours but always seem to have a smile on their faces.

The only thing I didn't like about the resort was the size of the beach, but I knew about that before we left. We never experienced any problems during our trip except for a couple cloudy days! Overall a really nice resort and great vacation spot. I would rate it as a 4 star.

• Liked — Pool, Restaurants, Room and Great Service
  • Disliked — Beach
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
charleston,sc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

Okay, we just got back from a company trip to Iberostar Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica. The pictures you see on this site are accurate...the landscaping and grounds are very nice and kept up.

The negatives:

The food- in all honesty it was pretty bad. The best meal I had was at the steakhouse. The Japenese steakhouse was not horrible but the lunch buffets were pretty bad. Everything I ate went right through me.

This was a free trip but I believe this resort is pretty inexpensive, so you get what you pay for.

The Good Stuff:

However, the staff is great! This was my second time to Jamaica (I stayed at Sandals Dunns River Falls before) and although the resort in itself (and definitely the food) was much nicer/better- the staff was top notch at Iberostar.

The beach was nice- plenty of room if the beach is your thing. The pool was really nice and relaxing.

The rooms are nice enough & the bathrooms are very nice for the price you pay for this resort.

Bottom line- it is not the Ritz but a very nice and relaxing getaway for an inexpensive price.

We liked it enough to book another little 5 day get away in January. As for the food, the resort is so economical we can definitely afford to go off the resort and eat.

The drinks though were NOT watered down (so good value there)

• Liked — The staff and the pool
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

Iberostar Rose Hall Beach

Nice hotel … we would not return

My husband and I just returned from a week (Oct 3 – 10) at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel. Overall it was a good time but we would not return. If we went back to Jamaica we would go to Negril simply for the beaches and sunsets.

Check-In

Arrived after 9 pm – check in was quick. Shown room & amenities
Bathroom mirror was disgusting – permanent streaks/scratching (perhaps humidity). Went back to front desk to change rooms, they advised to return in the morning. We did and they offered us two other rooms – one was a worse view, overlooking a lounge area 10 feet below and the other a little better then our first so we took it.

Rooms

Very nice - good size with large bathroom. King size bed very comfortable and also a sofa and chair in the room. If you like to sit on the balcony make sure to ask for one with posts and not the concrete wall. Otherwise when you sit all you will see is the wall and no pool/ocean view. This room we could see the pool and ocean when we sat outside. Mini bar stocked every other day – beer, water and soft drinks. Towels you put in the tub if you want them changed. Air conditioning worked perfectly and if you wanted to cool down the room it happened quickly.

Meals

Husband LOVED all of it – especially the meat & pork dishes and all different rice they make every night. If you like Spanish food you should have no problem. I am a very picky plain eater but there was always pasta, breads, soups, pizza, seafood, chicken, turkey and lots of desserts to choose from. We ate at the buffet most of the time but there are three a la cartes – Japanese (heard it was ok), Cajun (heard it was ok), Steak House (we ate here and enjoyed it). The Steak House is also the beach grill from 12 – 6 and has a smaller buffet from the main restaurant and it was good for a quick bite – hot dogs/burgers/fish/fries/rice/salad.

Beach/Pool

Beach
We were disappointed – our favourite beach so far is in Cayo Coco, Cuba – miles of powder white sand. This one had a buoy line about 150 ft out where locals in kayaks tried to sell you products – if you acknowledge and give a polite but firm no they will leave you alone. Sand was not powdery white a few little rocks and lots of little shells. Water was nice and warm – some seaweed around – some parts were a bit mushy when you stood in it. There were lots of little fish and a few small crabs in the water. Always lots of chairs to choose on the beach (we were there low season).

Snorkelling gear, kayaks and catamarans (if you know how to use) are free to take out (1hr/day). For a fee there is scuba diving and parasailing. Beach only goes in front of hotel (no long walks on the beach). One side a local craft market – security guards warned against going there. Other site Suites hotel security guard will stop you from walking here. We spoke with management and they let us walk the beach in front of the suites and also the other adult’s only portion they are building. Still that’s the entire beach you can walk on.

Pool
Huge pool with swim up bar and adjacent is a whirlpool (same water temperature just some jets around) and then beside that is the activity pool with basketball nets. The pool bar also serves ice cream.

Entertainment

The friendliest entertainers (Star Friends) we have ever encountered. In the mornings games were on the beach and the afternoon at the pool. They are always trying to encourage guests to join in and if you do you can win free bottles of rum, t-shirts & hats. Be aware though they will just come and sit with you and chat on the beach and pool. Also at breakfast they may ask to join you at your table. We enjoyed this but I know some people might not. Nightly shows were pretty good for a resort. A few nights it was more of guest interaction shows and then others were the typical dancing shows. Also one night they had a beach party with a local band and fire dancer. I would say that was the best.

Hotel Itself

Grounds are very nice but more of a hotel not a resort. We’ve stayed at both and plus/minus to each. Plus is you are close to the beach, pool – everything really so if you forget something in your room it’s easy to go back and grab it. Minus would be there is not really much to look at or wander around the grounds.

They have a desk you can book massages at for on the beach or in your room. Convenience store, gift shop, jewellery store and photo place you can buy items at. They also have an internet room, Pool room (two tables) with books/magazines as well, casino room (few machines), music bar, cigar lounge and a gym. Since we were here low season half of these were not open or empty most of the time. Lobby is A/C with a large bar and lots of places to sit down. Night show is in a theatre in middle of resort with large bar. Turns into a disco at 11:30 but we never went. Given it’s in the middle of the hotel you never hear the music if you are trying to sleep.

One thing we missed a lot was local artists coming to display crafts & items to sell. Everywhere else we have gone hotels would have this a couple of nights during a week and we were very disappointed that Iberostar did not offer this. There are shopping excursions but they often don’t take you to the locals.

Excursions

Cost of any excursions is roughly $50-$150 U.S. + depending what you want to do. We ended up choosing the Luminous Lagoon and my husband also went to Dunn’s River Falls. The Lagoon was $55 U.S. per person. It was neat but far from $55 worth – perhaps $30 or less. It’s only about 15 min from the hotel if you want something close and about 2 hrs. Drive there – get a drink, get on the boat 45 min tour around and then back to your ride to your hotel.

Dunn’s river falls – my husband really enjoyed. It is approximately 1.5 hr drive from the hotel. We had an issue with Sunwing as we met our tour rep on Sat afternoon for orientation – Lisa. She talked about all the tours briefly but not other background on Jamaica or other info as we have had in the past in Cuba, Mexico and Dominican Republic. We went on Sunday to book Dunn’s river Falls for Mon and the Lagoon for Tues evening. She rescheduled the Falls saying Mon not full, Tues she thought timing to tight with the Lagoon tour, Wed not full. Thur was our last day and she then ended up putting my husband with a different tour company and the tour left earlier in the day which means any of those other days we could have gone. I was very disappointed in Sunwing and our trip rep after finding this out.

Sunwing

Decent plane ride and movies – give you tiny glass of champagne going and a hot meal + snack plus the headphones for free. Return they charge $1 for headphones if you misplaced them while at your hotel. Transfer from airport to hotel was about 20 min but we had to wait close to an hour so everyone could find the bus it seemed. Airport arriving is hot but we were lucky as we were the only flight in so it was fairly quick. Returning again check-in was quick and it’s a fairly nice airport.

I was disappointed in the lack of knowledge from our tour rep – Lisa. She is new to the job (6 months) perhaps they need more training. Very disappointed that I missed the Falls excursion after learning we could have booked with other tour companies. In addition Sunwing was originally charging $60/half day at falls the new company was only $43. Also at one point other tour reps from different companies were doing her work since she did not seem to be forceful enough with some of the tour operators or hotels. Suggest if you want specific tours/days then if she can’t do it speak with other tour operators.

• Liked — Food & entertainment staff
  • Disliked — Beach
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2008

Iberostar has alot of things right at this property. It is clean, the rooms are very nice, the restaurants are quite good overall, the pool (while a bit on the tired side) is in a beautiful spot, and the beach is great. The Entertainment staff , while extremely friendly, are actually a bit too friendly.....they come by and sit on your beach chair and visit for what I felt was too long....and it seems like they are hoping for you to give them money. The entertainment activities really need a freshening up...they are dated, and actually much more about the entertainment group than they are about engaging the guests into activities...which generally is much more fun to watch and participate in. Night entertainment is virtually non existant. It was literally a bore at night. There were bars open without one guest in them because they were so dull. For a carribean island, I think Iberostar is missing the boat on a lot of repeat guests due to the fact that they don't capitalize on the weather and destination by having more energetic music and night time atmosphere at the beautiful property they have. I will not return.

• Liked — location and beach were nice
  • Disliked — night life non-existent
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

The hotel is very nice. It is one of the newer ones in Montego Bay. Since it is new there are still some things that need to be worked out. We were there while the second phase of the hotel was under construction. The beach was small but the water was full of seaweed. The food was average, nothing to write home about. The grill had the best food if you like carribean food like I do. The entertainment was good. My 10 year old sons enjoyed the shows at night, the people were very entertaining.
We did have a problem the first night with our sleeping arrangements. We had a Jr. Suite with a King bed and a pull out sofa, but we didn't have linen for the sofa. We called housekeeping 3 times from 7pm-11pm and the bedding never came as promised. The 4 of us ended up sleeping in the King bed. Needless to say that was not very comfortable or the way I wanted to start my vacation. I complained to the front desk, they apologized but never made any concessions for it. butI did not let it ruin our vacation.
Despite the few problems that we had we had a good time. My kids enjoyed the pool and my husband and I enjoyed being able to sit back and relax. The beach and poolside entertainment was just right and the late night beach party was great!

• Liked — entertainment staff
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!