“Nice hotel but disappointing Christmas celebration.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rose Hall Main Road, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Rose Hall
Montreal, Canada
“Nice hotel but disappointing Christmas celebration.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I would like to comment on our stay at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach from December 21st to December 28th 2012. We intended to spend Christmas in the sand and under the palm trees. We took this trip with another couple..

Overall nice hotel but very disappointing Christmas day dinner and party. Little things will not make us go back. To our opinion, a bit overpriced with the cons we experienced.

Pros:
. Overall very nice hotel, generally very clean. Very nice grounds and landscape.
. The staff we dealt with, except security, was very nice, helpful and respectiful. Service was quick also with great smiles.
. Good food, variety and consistency ok.
. Staff was quick to answer room requests (missing towels and safety lock issues)
. No problem with chairs at the beach. Plenty of them.
. Specialty restaurants were good. Especially the steakhouse and japanese.
. The beach was generaly clean in the morning...
. Good BBQs at the beach.

Cons:
. Christmas dinner had 2 services. 6:30 and 8:30. The first service had a band playing Christmas music. Our service at 8:30 had absolutely nothing. The band was gone and not even a CD was playing. All we heard was people taliking and noises from the buffet. Very disappointing when you spend so much money for a memorable Christmas and you do not even hear music from a CD.

. Inappropriate segregation when going shopping or visiting to the Rose Hall Suite.. Security makes you enter by a side door along the main building even though you are well dressed up. Access via the lobby door is denied. We went to shop before dinner, therefore nicely dressed up. Major turnoff.

. Inconsistent maid service. We had to call 3 days in a row for missing face towels.

. Some rooms need a bit of refreshing.. Ours smelled bad and there were traces of mold on the ceiling. Same thing for the room of friends we were with. Ours smelled a bit worse as well as there were always fumes from a grill not far. Consistent every day.

Summary: nice hotel and location but will not go back unless cheaper $.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the grill in building 2.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Management and the staff at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach we are delighted that you have chosen this resort for your All-Inclusive vacation and we truly appreciate the time you have taken to let us know about your experience here with us.

Here at IBEROSTAR we take pride in providing a clean and relaxing ambiance for all our guests around the entire property and we are happy to know you were able to experience this. We are proud of all our employees who work very hard to ensure you have a great stay with us.
We appreciate the fact that we were able to provide varieties of food that you enjoyed.
In regards to the room not been clean and you had to call 3 time, I will be most definitely speaking with the housekeeping manager about this issues. We sincerely apologize and we would like to reassure you however that this is not a true depiction of our standards of operation thus, you can rest assured that all the corrective measures, where necessary, have been taken so as not to have a reoccurrence of the situation mentioned.

Once again thank you for choosing the IBEROSTAR Rose Hall Beach for your vacation and we hope you will give us a chance of welcoming you once again.

2,508 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Picton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were a group of 36, friends from childhood now in our fifties who were looking to get together with kids (aged 11-26) to recreate a magical New Years we had in St. Kitts in 1999. There was a lot of resistance to an all inclusive resort because frankly none of us ever do that, but the bottom line was making it easy for everyone. It was great, rooms are clean and comfortable (if you're lucky you get Brenda as your maid, she was so sweet), the main dining room for any meal was very respectable but we really liked Uncle Tony's, I ate jerk chicken every day and miss it already.They put on a spectacular New Years Eve party with a great dinner, band, fireworks, and dancing. If you go on Air Canada Vacations, Zoe will be your rep and she is amazing. I thought all the staff at the resort were lovely, and you will get as good as you give and not just because of tips. Tips are good though, just saying a $1 or two will go a long way towards expediting your cocktails at the lobby bar. Cordelia was also a particularly good server, very attentive.
We all did our vacation thing whether golfing/touring/deep sea fishing etc, and the bottom line was everyone was more than happy.

Room Tip: garden view - it was quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

On behalf the Management and all the staff of the IBEROSTAR Rose Hall Beach I would like to send you my warmest appreciations for choosing to be guests here and for all your compliments. We realize that there is a myriad of other resorts for you to choose from and we are deeply glad and grateful because your choice was to spend your special vacation at our resort.

I will give all your nice and generous comments to Cordelias manager so he is aware of the good job that she’s doing. The best reward that we could have for all the hard work our employees do, is give all this compliments so they know that they are in the right path and keep with the hard work.

Once again we would like to thank you for choosing the IBEROSTAR Rose Hall to spend your vacations, and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel when you arrive is stunning! The lobby and grounds are beautiful. But things start to go down hill from there. The food quality was not up to par (even at specialty restaurants) for what was expected. We also learned that all the lovely servers on the beach were 'trainees' - this means that they work long hard hours but are not paid and their only incomes are tips. This greatly upset me for two reasons 1. these poor people, working all day with no salary 2. this is supposed to be an all-inclusive, including gratuities - I have never tipped so much in my whole life! From the servers, water area, drivers/guides - everywhere you go you are tipping. I had to go to the front desk to change large bills more than once in our 5 days. And what's up with the Star Friends that everyone raves about? Saw them around, but they were only talking/hanging with the drinking adult crowd. I had kids with me - a 12 & 14 year old, who expected to be partaking in all of the Star Friend activities. When my kids asked for a soccer ball for the daily 4 pm soccer game time, a Star Friend kicked one over and left. Needless to say there was no game. That was our only interaction with a Star Friend during our stay. We had to spend most days off of resort paying $$ for activities/tours or paying for water sports at resort that were not included. Not what I expected for an all-inclusive (been to a few). Luckily, we made our own fun, but overall very disappointed!

Room Tip: I don't think you need to pay for ocean view room - by the layout of the hotel it appears every...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, as it is through communication of this nature that we learn about our current performance and the impression on our valued costumers.
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the food quality; our chefs always try to please different palates and undergo strict health and safety regulations, both nationally and internationally controlled by frequent inspections. We are surprised to hear that you were not satisfied with the interaction of our Star Friends team, they are usually highly praised among our clients. We will look definitely into this to avoid future reoccurrence.

In regards to the tipping situation: we are an all-inclusive hotel, which means tipping is included in your package already but you are allowed to tip our staff, if you wish to do so. The majority of our trainees are still studying and the internship is part of their professional education, so we are giving them the opportunity of experiencing the profession they are going for in “real life”. We do apologize if you do not agree with this arrangement.

Thank you for your feedback and for vacationing with us. We sincerely hope that in the future we will be given the opportunity to prove to you our commitment to excellent customer service and satisfaction.

Channahon, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My 2 friends and I (aged 30 and 31) decided to go on a trip together. We arrived at the Rose Hall Beach on December 30th. We received a yummy drink when we arrived. We were told our rooms were not ready, but we could go and eat a late lunch at the buffet or check out the pool. We first stood in line to make our dinner reservations, but after waiting 15 minutes, we decided we'd better go eat at the buffet before they closed at 3:00. We ate, came back and the woman was gone from the reservations desk, not to return till 5:00. We got our room, and it was better than I expected. It did not have any ants (like some people's rooms did), and it didn't smell musty at all. We had actually been upgraded to an ocean view, which was really nice.
I will admit that the bed linens were kind of uncomfortable, specifically the blanket, which felt like a piece of foam. Also, the room was actually cold with the AC on and on the 3rd night we shut it off altogether, which resulted in us dripping with sweat. It was hard to get a happy-medium temperature in the room.
As far as food goes, I thought the buffet had a really nice, large selection. I expected it to be one long table of food for some reason, when in reality, it was an entire room of food selection. I liked it for breakfast, and lunch/ dinner were ok, but there was something about the quality of the food that was lacking. Much of it was just bland or tasted different than what I was used to in the U.S., and I'm not even talking about Jamaican dishes. I'm referring to traditional American food tasting somewhat different that it does at home. I just felt rather unsatisfied eating at the buffet primarily everyday. We also had one dinner reservation at the Cajun restaurant, and one at the Japanese restaurant. We enjoyed both, though the dessert selection in both restaurants were the same things served at the buffet. I just wish they had another place to get lunch or snacks.
That being said, the New Years Eve lunch on the beach was great! It was a barbeque. And then New Years Eve dinner was very elaborate! It was served in the buffet hall, but much more exotic and interesting choices! I'm very happy we spent New Years Eve at this resort.
My friends and I decided we wanted to go on an excursion. We all agreed on the "shopping tour". The bus was scheduled to pick us up at 9 a.m., and it was on time, but we had to wait for a few other people who must have been running late or something. After a few minutes, we left the hotel, and made several other stops at other hotels to pick up other people, which was fine, except that the tour was supposed to be 3 hours long, but we didn't even arrive at the first shopping destination till 9:40, and then almost every store in the shopping plaza was closed until 10 a.m. Our tour guide said she didn't realize they were still closed, but dispite this she gave us 30 minutes to shop. Needless to say we were only able to go in one store in the whole plaza that opened before 10 a.m. I was dissappointed with this. I felt the tour guide ought to know what time the stores open and schedule the tour to accommodate this. We then went to another street and everyone crowded into one store for another 30 minutes, and then we left for our final stop which was a craft market. Personally, I found the craft market to be a very weird shopping experience. The bus driver drops off a few people at a time and you are told that you must go with one of the crafts people and let them guide you through the craft vendors. It was very awkward for me to be "forced" to look at these people's crafts which were basically the same thing in each person's hut, and then they try to pressure you to buy a bunch of junk. I did manage to get a few items I wanted, but it was just a very weird experience and I didn't enjoy it the way I was hoping to. Last, but not least, after the craft market, the tour guide said she was going to take us back to the first shopping plaza for a second chance to shop. At this point I didn't even care about those stores, and since I didn't think we were going to return to them, I had already spent my money at the other store and craft market. We ended up getting back to the hotel an hour after we were supposed to. Bottom line: go if you consider the $16 just paying for transportation to and from the shopping places, but don't expect much.
I agree that the staff at the Rose Hall Beach is pretty exceptional. Most staff members that I encountered were at least courteous and respectful, if not very chatty, funny, kind and engaging. They were all very pleasant to deal with.
I also thought that the entire resort and grounds were very pretty, mostly well-maintained, and decorated nicely. I would like to have seen a few more Christmas lights up while we were there, but overall it was really nice. There's always someone cleaning up tables, mopping floors, raking the beach of seaweed, etc. So they really try to stay on top of things cleanliness-wise.
I had a couple other minor complaints.... the beach is very pretty, but there are a lot of trees on the beach. When I think of a beach, I don't think of a bunch of trees in the way. I suppose its nice on a hot day to lay under the tree or if you don't want to get a tan. Its just kind of a shame that they're all there somewhat obstructing the view of the Carribean Sea. On our last full day at the resort, it dawned on us to go look for a few chairs down towards the eastern part of the beach were there were a lot less trees. Sadly, we only got a pool chair the first day we were there. It was getting to be later in the afternoon, so there were some opening up, finally. But after that, we didn't bother to go wait around for a pool chair and just went to the beach instead. The water did have a constant stream of seaweed floating in. I'm not really big on "swimming" and hanging out in the water anyway, so it didn't bother me that much. It probably would have bothered me a lot more if I planned to really swim or snorkel. I realize that theres really nothing the hotel can do to stop the seaweed.
Overall, it was an enjoyable trip. I would maybe go back. I feel that the cleanliness, the staff, and the amount you get for the price makes it worth it. The food could be improved upon. I do not reccommend the shopping excursion. If I did go back, I would maybe go on the waterfall excursion or parasailing at the resort. (We inquired about it on our last full day and were told we had to make reservations in advance).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Management and all our staff members, we would like to extend to your our sincerest gratitude for your comments in regards to your vacation at our hotel IBEROSTAR Rose Hall Beach. We are grateful to know that you enjoyed your stay here with us and that you were impressed with the service in general.

It is truly a pleasure for us to know you appreciated the friendliness and hospitality of our staff; we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal and the continuous improvement of our services.

My sincere apology for your discomfort with the bed linen, this will be brought to the attention of the housekeeping manager, so this issues can be dealt with.

Just for your information, apart from the buffet, we do serve lunch and snacks during the day at our Palapa (Steakhouse at night).

We thank you for your honest review and once again we are happy that you enjoyed the amenities, services and staff. We look forward welcoming you once again to our beautiful hotel.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I was married here on sept 19,2012! Stayed 7 days and I had an awesome experience! I had 19 guests with me and not one of my guests were disappointed !!! Excellent service.. Rooms were great! I was upgraded to a ocean view jr suite and had a wonderful view of the resort. They have an awesome beach party and cookout! A club which is 2 hotels down which was most def an experience in itself! We made great friends with all of the staff. Bartenders were magnificent! Food was good but nothing extraordinary. The steal house was the best but I wasn't find of the Japanese restaurant. Very relaxing but great for a good time with drinking and dancing as well! Had a massage at the grand hotel and it was the absolute best massage I've ever had! I would definitely stay at this resort again! And if your looking for a good drink try the Bob marley! Oh and te snorkeling on the resort was much better than the excursion I paid for! This place is a great place to visit!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your valued feedback in regards to you and your family experience here at the IBEROSTAR Rose Hall Beach. We are grateful for your positive remarks. We are delighted to have had hosted your wedding here and it’s your pleasure to welcoming you back at out wonderful hotel.

We are grateful to know that you were satisfied with our services and amenities offered, we are happy to know that you had a great experience.
Once again we thank you for giving us your feedback and we look forward welcoming you again.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Rose Hall Beach, Montego Bay Jamaica

We stayed in Iberostar Rose Hall Beach in December 2012 for 2 weeks. We were 3 (2 adults and 1 eight year old) joined by a friend (stayed 1 week with her daughter). Here it goes, great hotel, extra clean, never a problem with the room, superb food and drinks, the staff are incredible.

Where to start, well upon our arrival (late in the evening, so we didn’t see much of Jamaica) our daughter decided that she already loved the place. The resort is quite big, I mean very big. It is divided in 3 sections: Beach, Suites and Grand. The Grand is adults only resort, the Suites is in the middle and the beach is the most common of all. Well to be fair, it is most lively at the Beach resort and they say you are not allowed to visit the other resort (although I have heard of people going).

Well, the resort is impeccably clean, from the hallways to the rooms, to the beach itself to the washrooms. They are all friendly and take care of you without hesitating. We had a Junior Suite Ocean Front and the room was cleaned twice a day. The air conditioning was in perfect order and everything was as it should be. The à la carte restaurant are also very good, we went once to the beach restaurant and twice to the Japanese and twice to the Jambalaya.

So to give credit to the Stars at the hotels, well, there is Maria (aka the Lava Girl) that makes things happen, she will get you moving, and I guarantee that. Smiley (he’s THE best, always smiling) will make your day complete with his good buddy JR doing acrobatics, hand stand, aerobics, volleyball, pool competitions etc… Chynet (she is THE girl) is one of the waitress on the beach, always there to bring us our drinks with a beautiful smile. At the buffet, breakfast and lunch were with Alicia, she is the best waitress there, always smiling and courteous, dinners were with Milton, always a little something for the girls plus a little entertaining (sorry, I forgot the name of the girl opening the door, also with a great smile). The Kids Club is well maintained and the 3 girls there: Ameika, Annia and Vanessa, are taking extra care of all the children, they even had kids Olympics (all the kids had a medal). Not to say that all the others I forgot to mention were not good, trust me, they are all good and deserve the praise. They also have a show that lasts until 09:30pm, good to attend to as it is air conditioned, and the beach parties are also great.

The Nautical sport side is probably the worst part, they are sitting all day long (yes, they are all sitting at a picnic table doing nothing) and when you get some equipment, they sound like you are disturbing them, sometimes ignoring you. I took an ocean canoe and was basically left there; they took my ticket and said you can take this one. Upon my return, I was waiting for 20 minutes for someone to give me back my ticket to no avail, so I left everything there and headed back to my beach chair. If it wouldn’t be for Marie-Michelle there, it would be really bad, no one would try the water activities. She is the friendliest person on that side, always smiling. Even one day, our daughter found a shell in the sand not far from where they are sitting, she had to dig it up and when she walked back to show us, they screamed at her claiming that the shell belonged to them after she had cleaned it from the sand. She was so sad. On the same note, the beach is awesome but the ocean is not so good, not the turquoise you’d expect for the Caribbean but more like green with sea weeds and muddy at around 3 feet deep. The lifeguards are cleaning the water periodically from sea Urchins and our daughter got a ‘’Sea sting’’ which the lifeguards treated immediately with a special ointment. The pools are great and clean although filled with Jamaican kids at times (they have special passes).

There are Jamaican salesmen in the water early in the morning and in the evening trying to sell something to you, they are not rude and a simple: ‘’No thanks’’ is enough to keep them away. They are not allowed to stand on the beach.

Another good point, the people that work at the hotel, will come and sit with you (they will ask first) when eating, I personally think this is very nice touch as it enables you to get to know them and they will ask you how you like your stay etc…

Well, like all good things, it had to come to an end and our daughter was sad 2 days before we had to go back as she wanted to stay in Jamaica forever… Will we go back, definitively….

• Liked — The staff was extraordinary
  • Disliked — Water sport staff
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your valued feedback in regards to your experience. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our Hotel. Furthermore, we would like to express our gratitude for the positive remarks, and we are glad to hear that you were satisfied with the hotel in general.

We are happy to know that you were pleased with your service and amenities offered, it is a great motivation to every one of us and we are looking forward to congratulate our team members, so generously mentioned in your review.

Once again it was a pleasure to have you here with us and we look forward welcoming you back to your amazing hotel.

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Oh my goodness, where do I even begin!? I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS PLACE!
I guess I'll start off by saying I'm a 20 year old female and I was travelling with my 17 year old brother and my parents. This was actually our second visit, as we came here for New Year's last year and loved it so much we decided to come again.
My favourite part about our trip last year was the entertainment staff, and I have to say they were even better this time around. Marlando, aka Smiley, is super fun! As soon as he saw us, he recognized us from last year! It made me feel like we were visiting an old friend, and I do feel as if I have become friends with some of them. Even the trainees are great, especially Opia! (If management happens to be reading this, please tell her boss that she's such a hard worker and does a great job!) They'll certainly leave you alone if you're not in the mood to socialize, although I highly recommend taking some time to talk to them. They are all really interesting people.
Ok, now what are some other things that might be of interest?
FOOD: We did not try the a la carte restaurants. I'm not exactly sure why, probably because my brother was too picky about the menu and would rather eat at the buffet. I was totally fine with that because the buffet has a lot of selection and I always found really tasty food to eat (I'm a vegetarian and I had plenty of options to choose from).
DRINKS: bar in every direction? Check! Just fyi, if you don't order from the bar directly, it takes a little while to get your drinks because the waitress does a full round and takes many orders at once. That being said, we were on vacation so we had no problems waiting the 10-15 minutes haha no rush in Jamaica mon
SHOWS: the shows were great this year compared to last year! I mean, they were good last year too, but they really improved the whole production. The costumes are elaborate and beautiful, the dancers are very talented, and the shows themselves are very creative. Every few nights, they have a show that involves the audience, which is always a good time. Who doesn't enjoy watching drunk people play games for prizes? ;)
ACTIVITIES: every day around 11am, the morning activities start, run by the entertainment staff. They usually involve beach aerobics, a dance class, and some beach games like volleyball or soccer. They run these as tournaments and whoever wins gets to claim their prize before the show at night. Then the staff takes a little break and they come back around 3pm for some more activities and a "crazy game". Half the fun is trying to guess what the game will be so I won't give anything away haha
ROOMS: clean and comfortable, doesn't really get much better than that.
Alright I think I got everything... nope I lied, I just remembered something else. There were a lot of young children at this resort, but they weren't bothersome because there were always plenty of activities going on for them. The entertainment staff is really good with them as well.
As for people my age, there were a lot of them too... and we were probably a lot more noticeable than the children hahaha. Also, the disco is open every night from 10pm until 3am, I believe. I went three times and it got busy starting from around 12-12:30, but not overcrowded so it was pretty fun actually. They play a great mix of Jamaican music and "American" music. Although I could have done without Gangnam Style, amiright? haha
Ok I've definitely blabbed on long enough. I hope this review helps someone out there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your valued feedback in regards to your experience. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our Hotel. It is always a pleasure to share flattering comments of our guests, addressed to our team, it is a great motivation to every one of us and we are looking forward to congratulate our team members, so generously mentioned in your review.

We are happy to know that we had verities at our main buffet , however if had chosen one of your a la carte restaurant I am pretty sure that your brother would have found something on our menu or you could even speak to our chefs who are very flexible.
With such comments we are positive that you will be coming back to your hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
#25 of 63 in Montego Bay
3.5 of 5 stars 3,561 reviews
Free Breakfast...
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!