“Don't judge a book by its cover” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Castles Beach Condos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rose Hall
Sea Castles Beach Condos
You added Sea Castles Beach Condos to your Saves list
Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Sea Castles Resort)   |
Winnipeg, Canada
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a two-week stay at the Sea Castles Beach Condo (formerly Sea Castles Resort). This was our first trip to Jamaica and the first time that we have travelled the Vacation Rental route (no cooks or maids). Sea Castles is located about fifteen minutes east of Montego Bay along the coast. It was built twenty years ago as a hotel/condo resort concept but encountered some problems and is now just a condo community.
We booked our condo with Debra Fraser via Trip Advisor, whom I can’t say enough good things about. Debra took care of getting us set-up and running and was always a phone call away (she supplied the phone). She met us at the airport and took us to a grocery store to get some initial supplies before delivering us to our rental. We met Karen there (part of Deb’s team along with Mitzie), with our two week lease and gave her our security deposit (US$300 cash, that you get back the day you leave). Sea Castles may be in need of a coat of paint on the outside but the inside of our apartment was more than I expected. It was a ground floor one-bedroom and had been just recently renovated. It had beautiful tile floors and a galley kitchen (stove/oven/microwave/ toaster/fridge) with a breakfast bar for eating at. The patio was screened and looked out onto the Caribbean Sea; we spent the majority of our time out on the patio.
There is a bar at the pool that opens all week at 11am and a small restaurant/bar on the beach open Fri-Sun. The local’s refer to it as the ‘fish place on the beach’ and is run by Mr. Rose who cooks an excellent curried shrimp (Spicy) and sensational jerked ribs. The beach is small and untended and there is no seating unless the restaurant is open, but it is the most incredible sand I have ever walked on. Since it is secluded and protected by reef there is very little seaweed and the sand is clean and white, there was no debris to navigate through along the shore line. It was truly pristine.
The only real downfall to Sea Castles is its location relative to amenities like restaurants and shopping. Nothing is close enough to walk to, so you need to use a cab to go anywhere. If you don’t mind sharing a cab it costs only JDS$200 or two bucks to get to the ‘Whitter’ mall and back and JDS$300 return to the Hip Strip. If you are finicky about sharing a cab with strangers, then the round trip will cost you JDS$3000 or $30US for door-to-door service. That can make forgetting to buy milk for coffee costly. The ‘Jamaican cab’ system is easy to use, you simply go to the side of the road, which is the main route to MoBay, and when a cab passes they honk their horn and you put up your hand indicating the number of passenger with your fingers. If they have room they stop and if not they keep going. There are tons of taxis on this route so I never waited more than a few minutes to get a ride, so no problem Mon.
We loved our first trip to Jamaica and are looking forward to future ones. Sea Castles for us offered a very affordable way to stay for two weeks and Debra and her team made us feel welcome and were available if we needed them, which is not always the case with vacation rentals. If you are interested in more detail about Sea Castles, I have written about it in my blog, http://imjustsaying.domitall.com, feel free to check it out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had a really good time there. The room was tastefully decorated and was very clean. I love that the beach was only a short walk down the stairs so that was definitely a plus for me. It's a quiet property so I was happy about that since I wanted to spend my time either at the beach, pool/bar, or on my patio in peace and quiet with no noisy crowds. I'll definitely go back. Nice place.

Room Tip: There are no elevators on the property so request a room on the first floor if stairs are a challeng...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were on the second week of our two week's Christmas holidays vacation, after having spent the first week at the all-inclusive holiday inn Sunspree, located just a few miles west of Sea castles beach condos.. Wanting to get away from family for a few days, we lucked out on this really cool spot which we found on Kijiji. It was quite easy making the arrangements with Debra, and having a toll-free number that we could reach her certainly helped matters. She was quite accommodating on the phone and assured us that everything would be ready for us when we got to the Resort.

As promised, we were met at check-in by the housekeeper who had just finished freshening up our suite, and waiting to hand us our keys. The unit was a one bedroom, ground floor suite with a pull-out couch and a private mstr bedrm. there was a cool breeze coming in from the open back doors, and we could see the blue water of the caribbean from our living room. We were quite happy at this first impression, and pretty much throughout the rest of the time we were there (4 days).

The exterior of the units are not the most attractive i must say, and signs of aging can be seen from the peeling paints on the outside. This actually adds to the charm of the place for me, and i liked the rustic look. I took a tour around the grounds early next morning, found the pool deck by the bar, went down to the beach for a long undisturbed walk and loved every minute of it. I still have the videos and pics on my phone that i contiue to share with friends when they ask me how my trip was....the kids especially loved playing in the "meadow" as they called it. Back then we just called it plaing in the grass..but they had a great time at Sea castles and i will be back here again to renew some of the contacts that i made with a few of the locals on property, as well as to keep my options open as a potential buyer for one of the units. I love the location (close to the Rose Hall golf courses which i will be back to play later this year).

The beach is very private, but not the best shape for swimming...it could use some cleaning up...but it is a good place to just sit with a good book and listen to the crashing waves.

Overall, a very good experience for me at this condo resort. Security, location and pocket--friendly budget accommodation...what else can i say, it worked for me and my family!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was our first vacation together and it was wonderful. Seeing Orien low on the horizon above the ocean and Valentine's dinner outdoors. Jumping into the pool with my clothes on after daring Johnny to do the same, floating on dragons and rum cream in my coffee in the morning.
And Margaritaville the last night. I lost my best pair of sandels that night but it was worth it.
skinny dipping later and what a great time.
the staff was wonderful and the hobiecat ride was amazing! I wish I had a camera...and I did not lose the last roll of film....did not have a digital camera in 2000.
love Jamaica!

Room Tip: we wre there in 2000 not 2012, don't even know if they are still in business but it was great!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sea Castles Beach Condos? Share your experiences!