“December Wedding at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

and 1 more site!
You added Iberostar Rose Hall Suites to your Saves list
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rose Hall Main Rd | Rose Hall, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
NY
“December Wedding at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

Although we had some drama prior to getting to the Resort, with the Beach resort being closed and then opening and our wedding party being shifted from one resort to another, at the end it turned out to be an extraordinary experience.

We booked the wedding about half a year in advance, and although the Wedding coordinator Sandy, told me she would get in contact with me a month before, I kept in touch with her throughout the months, and she was always very prompt in answering my emails.

About a week before our trip to the resort, Sandy had left, and we got to work with Elizabeth through our wedding. She was awesome. Very helpful and tried her best in making this experience a very smooth one. We have the warmest things to say about her.

Airplane: We flew American Airlines. I was really nervous about how I would be able to carry my dress, but it turned out OK. Although I asked the staff to let me on the plane in the first group so I can hang my dress, they didn’t let me until my row was boarding. But the flight attendants did let me hang the dress and tuxedo in their closet.

Resort: We got to the resort on a Wednesday and the wedding was on Sunday. We had a few meetings with Elizabeth before Sunday to go over all the details and any last questions we had. She was very lenient in trying to accommodate all our wishes. We got upgraded to the Presidential suite, which was amazing! It had 2 bathrooms, kitchen, 2 jacuzzies. The view was of the resort and the ocean.
The resort itself is very beautiful, although I wish there were more greens on the premises. The beach only has a few trees and sun umbrellas and we never had a problem with getting beach chairs. There are barely any rocks on the beach, but there are some sea weeds in the water (maybe with animals on it), which tend to bite/scratch at times. The food was not very exciting. They had the same thing every day. For someone who doesn’t eat red meat, and likes seafood, it was difficult to find something to eat. Chicken was always prepared in the same way – grilled. Seafood – was mostly in appetizers which was cold. They had paella a few times. Sweets were good. Everyone said steaks were great. There’s also free snorkeling at the resort, or you can take excursions from the hotel if you would like to see something more. The staff is friendly. We went to most of the restaurants in the resort. The service is very slow so get used to it from the beginning.

Ceremony: Ceremony was on the beach in front of the Steakhouse restaurant. There were some people sitting around watching, but the staff made sure they did not really get into the pictures. It was really windy and I was really panicking, but thankfully they put enough hairspray in my hair so it stayed on good. The whole week we were there it was really windy and especially windy during the ceremony. Yes it was a little inconvenient because I would have liked to take more pictures at the beach but the wind just because too annoying.
We found a Rabbi in Jamaica, Stephen Henriques who performed the ceremony. We did the legal ceremony back in NY to avoid problems, so we only had a religious ceremony.
We also booked our own photographer, Brian Nejedly and videographer, Brian’s assistant Noel, http://www.briandesign.com/. I’m very particulate about pictures, and I’m very happy with the result. The photographer from the resort did not do a very good job, so I was very happy we hired our own. Out of 125 pictures he took, we barely chose 12 that were included in the package.

Flowers are very expensive in Jamaica. I decided to upgrade all the flowers and not take the tropical or roses offered by the package. We had 4 centerpieces that we used to decorate the huppah and the aisle which we later used in reception table decors. I would recommend adding a few candles on the tables, which I didn’t. The centerpieces were pretty small, so the table looked a little naked.

Reception: Diner was at the Mediterranean restaurant which we closed down. It was a small restaurant which was perfect for our 30 people. The food was very good. We had a choice of beef or chicken with lobster. We hired a DJ and brought our music CD’s so he played both, our music and his. Do not take the Steakhouse as a reception place, because it’s outside and it does get humid and hot, even at night. All the other restaurants are air-conditioned.

I’d definitely recommend having a destination wedding. Nothing beats having your ceremony on the beach!!!
I have quite a few pictures of the resort and the Presidential suite and I’ll be more than happy to share.
As just going through this experience, I know how confusing and overwhelming it is, and I’ll be happy to share my experience in more details and answer any questions. Please contact.

• Stayed December 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Czech first
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

Where to start… My boyfriend and I usually travel to Mexico every year, but wanted to try something different. We read all the positive reviews and had heard great things about this hotel. I don’t know what these people were talking about, but we will never go back again.
1-You are only allowed 1 towel outside. They give you a card when you check in and you need to present this card outside to get a towel. Don’t lose your towel or card because if you do they will charge you $10.00 a towel!!!
2-Food. The food was terrible. We were actually looking forward to going to the airport on our way home to get a decent meal. Most of the food at the restaurants is clearly pre-prepared because it is cold when it comes out. Hope you like corn on the cob; potatoes, roasted chicken (on the bone); steak. Whatever you do stay away from the gourmet restaurant. The only good meal was the Mexican restaurant the food was nice and hot and the people were very nice.
3-Room service. Well yes the room service might be 24 hours, but if it never shows up I am not sure if that counts as 24 hours. We ordered a pizza one night and were told it would be 30 minutes. Almost 2 hours later we decided to go to the bar and eat popcorn because we were so hungry.
All in all we will definitely go back to Jamaica, but we will never go back to this hotel. The appearance of the hotel is nice, but we couldn’t get past all the other things.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

We just got back from Rose Hall Suites and we had loads of fun!!!

Resort - Resort is nice and kept clean...Pools and the lazy river was kept clean too.
SERVICE-
Service was great!!!!!!!
I’m truly surprised to read some of the recent bad reviews on service and long lines at buffets!
We got to the resort around 8 pm one night, and we did get a welcome pack with a Resort map (There is a resort map included in the package, if u don’t get one, please ask for one), an activity schedule, details of different excursions you can do etc which was pretty good.
we NEVER had to wait in a line for the buffets (except for the beach BBQ of course, where everyone was eating at the same time) But there was never a line for the buffets unless of course you arrive earlier then the buffet opens (once we went before the restaurant opened for lunch and people were queuing up to go in)...We went to the buffet many days and we were always treated with a smile and got a table immediately. The staff at the buffet was very friendly, and many days we had more than one waiter/ress offering to serve tea/coffee but we were already being served. There was never a delay of any sort that we experienced.
Some waiters even served us drinks at the theater without even waiting for us to ask for a drink, cos they knew what our regular drinks were from the previous visits, i thought it was really nice!!
Near the pool, we were offered drinks at least 10 times a day and we were pretty impressed with the service...
Room service is 24 Hrs, and we ordered food sometimes at 2.30 in the morning and always got it after 30-40 mins as they promised.
The only two negative points were;
- We asked for extra milk/coffee cream to the room in the mornings, and it never arrived, but hey it was minor and we could always have tea coffee at the buffet.
- Once at the Mediterranean Restaurant our drinks were delayed, but our waiter quickly explained that they have a situation where the same bar tender is managing two bars, due to being short staffed that night, and we really didn't mind and appreciated that the situation was explained.

We went in Dec when the resort was busy, but was able straightaway make reservations for 3 spatiality restaurants without an issue. But book as soon as you get in.

FOOD-
Buffets are good!
But the specialty restaurant food is average and there isn't a choice of wines. We didn't like the red wine available and requested a different one, but it turned out that they only had one type of red wine.
The bread served at the beach BBQs wasn’t all that fresh and that’s something I feel the resort should improve on.
ENTERTAINMENT –
Beach Boys are doing an amazing Job!!!!!!!! You can see that they not just doing their job, but very passionate about it!
Big shout out to cute Kid BLANCA, CREAZY KENNY, TOBY, NOODLE, MONKEY and I forget the name of the nice guy who wears a Mortal Combat Hat! 
These guys do an ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC JOB!! Keep everyone entertained and I especially liked the aqua Aerobics. They would even accommodate any of your requests, My husband liked some Reggae tunes, and they managed to get us some in a matter of few hours…

THEATRE – They are some funny shows and as mentioned in some of the previous views, if you don’t go expecting Broadway quality then you are guaranteed to enjoy!!

SPA –
Felt that the SPA was overpriced, nearly 300US$ for a hot stone message for a couple!
Therefore didn’t use it. However you can use the Jacuzzi at the spa for free.
SEA- Sea right in front of the pool had weed in it, go towards the rose hall beach and its better there.

Excursions
These are organized by tour companies that you have to pay additionally for.
1) Dunnes River falls –
Climbing up the fall takes about an hour in total and was a delightful experience, falls are beautiful, take a water camera and water proof covers for video cameras, u can also buy the video they will do for u, but that costs around 49US$ plus will have other people in your group in it.

2) Swimming with Dolphins
We also did the dolphins swim, my husband absolutely loved it.
3) Parasailing
This is good on a not very windy day.
In general, we generously tipped every time if got good service and felt they deserved it. SO take a few 1-2 dollar notes with you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

Absolutely amazing......

There is no issue with this resort contrary to some of the posts. Those people should book at a private, high class resort like the rich and famous.......hope you have the $$$.
Look folks, yes some of the services is a bit slow but you are on vacation. You are not going to die if you don't get your drink in 25 seconds or less. If you want to live a hustled life stay at home...chill out man!!!

Our family went with a group of 8 people and our 2 children ages 1 and 3. We were very skeptical travelling with such young children but, no problem maan!! Some ups and downs adjusting but the kids loved it. Shout out to Noodle and the gang....awesome entertainers.....keep it going!!! Food was very good as well, even though you can get bored after a few days of all the rich food. My group was all vegetarians and the chef's made additional dishes for them.

Fantastic place, well worth the value and will be returning for sure

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

We planned our 2 weeks’ vacation for 2009 from 11/27- 12/11 far in advance – June. So I’ve read all the reviews concentrating on the good ones and glancing on “not so good and terrible”. We were looking forward to take my 1 and 5 year old boys for a grand time together and to make it easier on us, took my mom as well.
Here is my saga:
After a 4 hour flight and a quick 20 min trip we were finally at the resort, hurray!! After reading the reviews, I knew I had to make dinner (restaurant) reservation while my husband was checking in, but was only able to do so for the next 2 nights – the guest service did not have a next week schedule and I was told to comeback “tomorrow or Monday or .. They not sure when they will have the new schedule”. Got the keys and the bell boy wheeling the luggage to our rooms: We were offered a first floor, which I loved the idea not to take elevators going from and to the beach. At that point were very hungry , found an insert in the welcome package that has all the information about the dining times, restaurants, laundry and other guest services, we figured we could go to “Aunt Ruby” for quick lunch/dinner, because it was already 5pm and the dinner buffet opens at 6:30 pm. There is no resort map. Anywhere. So you are on your own finding your way around. The resort is small and once you know what’s what, is easy, but at the beginning, I had to ask staff, note – they do not know restaurants by the official names. So if you are on your way to Aunt Ruby – you have to explain what it is and approximately where it is - steak house/ beach – Ya Man! I am kinda tired to write all the stuff that we were not happy about, so I am just going to “sum it up “:

1 Food – is very mediocre, everywhere; restaurants including, we went to most and the calabash, gourmet restaurant was the worst of all. We felt like crossing the hall way to the buffet, but at least we were served.
Steak house - medium well steaks are cooked well / well done. And there is a hungry cat that I enjoyed feeding more than the food being served. Japanese - we did not go; our friends went and told us to stay away. I have to agree that out of all – Mexican was probably better than all. Not good, just better than the rest.
I have to talk about fruit separately – if you expect nice, ripe, exotic fruit - go somewhere else! Fruit is harvested and served green for longer shelf life. We have better bananas and papayas in NYC. Pineapples are crunchy very close to potatoes. At the beginning of our stay there was honey served next to the fruit stand, to add a little bit of sweetness. They mind just server raw potatoes with honey to the same effect.

2 Service - sucks. You have to wait for everything - your table during the buffet service, your water while at the table, high chair with a child in your arms - forever. Overall the service is terrible. When they bring something to you and you thank them, they turn around and walk away! WTF?! If you walk and the waiter (ess) is walking towards you – You are to step away and again do not expect any thanks. I do not know why, but we anticipated staff to be friendly – nope. Only 5% smiles and greets you. I also felt very uncomfortable because of the tips: I felt that all staff expects to be tipped not that they would go extra mile, just because they did what they supposed to. A large percentage also tells you that they make $50 per week and have hungry kids at home; I felt pressured, but was only tipping the deserving staff, like the nice girl @ the Mexican restaurant that saw that my son would not eat anything, she ran and brought him yogurt. Staff cannot handle the amount of guests – even though the resort (Iberostar Rose Hall Suites) was 2/3 to its capacity. Almost every time there was a line of people waiting for 30 min at least trying to get in to the buffet to eat – people with small children, elderly with canes – I could not believe the 5 star rating!

3 SPA – over priced + magic tax+ tips. The massage was lumped sided and the room freezing cold. I guess some people enjoy it.

4 Beach - is very rocky once you are in the water, if you are by the pool facing the ocean, you have to move to the far right, pass the life guard station - that where the sand is. All of us were stung by something in the water that feels like we got burned and lasted for about an hour. I was told that it is either a jelly fish or the sea weed. Great, because there is seaweed everywhere growing and floating. That took fun out of the ocean, especially when the kid is screaming not wanting to go in again, because something is going to sting him.

5 Pool – be careful, if you walk barefoot, it is super slippery! Other than that it is great; so is the lazy river

6 Drinks/bar - The first week of our stay, we were complaining that girls at the beach took way too long to bring you your drinks, it got “better” - by the second week there were none, we had to go and get our drinks ourselves. And I knew then why it took them so long – the bartenders. I took bartending classes while in school – they do not know what they are doing and make their own stuff as they go! Very cheap on the alcohol and your humming bird today could be Jamaican smile tomorrow, - you just never know what you are getting. The ONLY place where you get nice bartenders is the jazz bar. Shaneeqa and Garfeld (I am sure I am misspelling their names) are wonderful.

7 Rooms – the interior was nice, but already had mold. The water goes from cold to hot by itself in the shower, so you cannot wash a child or a baby. There was a puddle of water next to the toilet everyday on the other hand I had to put a tooth paste tube under the stopper to drain the sink water. The room fridge said to be replenished every second day, we had it done twice in two weeks, the second time after I called and asked for it. The clocks/radio/cd player did not work. There isn’t many spare power outlets. The sinks are very high and far in; being a family resort I think they do not expect kids to wash up at all. If you have small kids less than 10 y.o. ask for the room with a tub, so they can climb it to brush teeth or shlep a step stool with you.

8 Entertainment – the star friends are great, it seems that they are the only ones that actually happy to see tourist and like what they do. The resort is very small and there isn’t much to do or anywhere to go, unless you are a beach bum. My 1 year old needed room to roam around and that was problematic because outside there was a couple of short walkways, then the beach (did not want him to eat sand) and the lobby that with stairs, that’s all.
There is also a library with 5 books all in Spanish and 2 pool tables that missing the balls and tips of the cue.
I have to mention the kid’s club – it is impossible to find, which brings me back to the lack of the resort map. I was walking with a stroller and went to what looked like a maintenance/ staff walkway – between the back of the building and a beach restaurant; I was looking for somewhere to walk, since there isn’t much room and found the kids club! The girls that tend to it are not doing much just observe, they do have a schedule of activities posted, but it is just for show. That day it was supposed to be a treasure hunt, but when I asked about it, they had no idea what I am talking about, until I pointed to the billboard! And the place if filthy! it is supposed to be cleaned daily, but wasn’t; it got to the point when I could not put my son down for him to crawl. So I complained and it got a little better. Funny thing is that the club’s toys are all broken down and non- working, some just pieces of something that used to be a toy, but there are brand new once, still packaged lining the shelves of the front room. I guess for better guests or complainers?

9. Fauna - 1 hungry cat; Rats - one with broken tail– the guy that was cleaning the beach was running, trying to kick the life out of it in front of paralyzed by the murderous act small kinds; I was actually rooting for the rat! Mosquitoes - there was a little girl at the beach with 7 mosquito bites on her face. Strangely there isn’t many outside at all, but in the building and rooms especially. And cockroaches – Huge!

That being said, if you like to wait for everything for at least 30 min each and every time you need or would like something, be around people that not happy to provide services, or just do not know what they are doing or if this is not important because you are on vacation and have plenty of time to wait then continue reading great reviews and have a wonderful time, but we’ve traveled as a group of 18 people with kids and have the same felling: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites – 3 stars the most and – Jamaica – NEVER again!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Hoboken, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

Traveled to this resort for four nights, Nov 18- 22 with two girlfriends. The property was very nice and clean and the rooms were great as well. What people say about the activies is true- they are plentiful if you want them. A couple comments on the food- while I had read that the food was very good, I found the a la carte restaurants to be pretty average. Some dishes better than others, but overall fairly average. Also, with the exception of the gourmet restaurant, the appetizers and desserts were "buffett style" and not all that interesting. The breakfast and lunch buffets were decent and there was a good selection of food. The beach BBQ is not to be missed and was probably the best lunch. A couple things I found strange about the restaurants: We were shut out or given late reservations at many, and although tried to get their early to be seated early, the host would not seat us although there were MANY open seats in the restaurant. Also, they would not let you sit at the bar in the restaurant and wait to be seated. Very strange. Also none of the restaurants had outdoor seating which is strange for a carribean resort.

The pool was very nice- towards the weekend it got very croweded and although I thought there was to be an adult pool, I did not see any sort of segregation. The ocean and beach were nice, but watch out for the jellyfish! The spa and gym were nice too. Had a surpisingly good massage.

Overall a pleasant stay. Just don't go with high expectations on the food!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

We just got back and had such an incredible time. The food, accommodations, staff, entertainment (for adults and children) was amazing. We travelled with our 3 and 2 year old, they both had so much fun. There were lots of families with young children, so this is a very kid friendly resort. We would go back in a second without hesitation,
10 out of 10.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!