“Believe all the reviews - both the good and the bad” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$209 (USD)
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
New York City, New York
“Believe all the reviews - both the good and the bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Just returned from the Hilton Rose Hall last night and hope my review can help put things in perspective.

This was my 5th trip to MoBay, but my first time at this property. After several trips to Half Moon Bay and the now-defunct Ritz Carlton, I knew I'd be giving up certain luxuries.

This resort is definitely rough around the edges. But my kids (ages 11, 9 and 5) had a BLAST. They made tons of friends and we barely saw them all day long. If that's the mark of a good vacation, then the certainly Hilton delivered.

My husband and I were both in desperate need of a vacation, and I wanted to do anything I could to minimize any vacation-related stress (especially since this was a busy, crowded vacation week). So, I booked a cabana for the duration of stay, prebooked what restaurants I could, emailed the resort to request quiet rooms, and bought a bunch of inner tubes at Target, just in case. [Note: the gift shop has an electric pump to inflate them].

The pool can get crowded and at times the inner tubes can be hard to come by, but you'll eventually find one.

The drinks: Most of the cocktails are pre-mixed and most of the frozen drinks come out of a slushee machine. It makes things more efficient, but I was dying for a fresh blended drink that was actually made with fruit. The closest I could find was the Ambassador's Reef (it has a banana).

Also, the coffee (in a region known for growing some of the world's best coffee), was a huge let down. And the house wine was pretty horrific.

The food: Highly recommend the Jerk pork and chicken. Most everything else was fine. Not horrible, but not memorable. That said, the hotel does a commendable job serving A LOT of people.

The room: We experienced it all—loud air conditioning, poor water pressure, a clogged toilet. But we weren't going to let that ruin our vacation. Things go wrong - even at 5-star hotels. What matters is the staff addressed and fixed our issues.

The rooms definitely need some updating, and as a family of 5, I REALLY wished they offered family suites. Having 2 rooms doubled the cost of the vacation. In light of the fact that this is such a family-centric resort, I hope they keep this in mind if/when they do renovate the rooms.

The people: Can't say enough good things about the staff at the hotel. Jamaicans' friendliness is what brings us back to this island time and time again. Any time we left a tip for a staff member, the gratitude was so very evident. The staff works really hard. Without exception we found the hotel staff incredibly helpful and very personable.

The activities: Mind-blowing. There is literally something special planned every hour of the day. If you're going to make it to one thing: make it the beach bonfire.

All in all, we had a nice trip. I'm glad we read all the reviews on the site, and were able to keep things in perspective. Can't say I'm in a rush to return, but I know my kids left with some amazing memories and cherished family time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,106)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Just got back from our stay at Hilton Rose Hall and we had a great time! We were there with extended family including our two kids age 12 and 15.

When we first arrived we were disappointed that we were not getting a room with 2 queen beds which we had requested and thought we were getting. Also we had requested an adjoining room which they were not able to do for us. Apparently they were at full occupancy due to spring break.

We ended up getting a room with a king size bed, pull out sofa and a cot. The cot was a good one and the sleeping arrangements ended up working out well for us.

The hotel is beautiful. It is a little dated in places. It is not a 5 star hotel and if you go there expecting one you will be disappointed. They do stay on top of repairs for the most part. We had to call twice for some minor things in our room and they were fast to respond and fix them.

The food was great. We loved the buffets and ate way too much. It was above average for buffet style food. We are food people and we really enjoyed the food.

The lazy river is great for kids. They can spend an entire day there. Our daughter loved the swim up bar for virgin pina coladas.

We felt very safe having our kids walk around on their own at times. The resort is very self contained and the security presence made us feel comfortable.

The water sports that you pay for got booked up very quickly. If you are interested in them try to book them right away or even before you get there. The same goes for dining reservations.

The pool needs more and newer beach umbrellas. Some of them were falling apart. Also you need to wake up very early to get your towel down and I noticed people left towels overnight which is very annoying. One morning I did get an umbrella (I was there around 5 a.m.) and I came back and some guy had moved it on me!!! I knew which it was and went and took it back. As long as you get out early in the morning you will find some spots at the pool and the beach but the good spots go fast.

The staff is fantastic. They get 10 stars. We have never met a more friendly and helpful staff. They all say hello and ask how you are doing. Our maid was fantastic and very nice. She left a towel with Rose Petals shaped like an elephant each day.
We asked for an extra shampoo and they brought 10.

Activities: We did the banana boat, snorkeling, and catamaran. They were all great and the guides and boat operators were friendly and made the activities a lot of fun

We also took a private 3 hour Van tour around Montego Bay. It was $12 per person for 8 of us and we gave the driver a good tip on top of that. He was really great and we really enjoyed the tour. We also had him stop at the Rose Hall White Which tour that was a lot of fun.

The beach exceeded our expectations based on pictures and videos we had seen. The beach is beautiful and the hotel grounds are beautiful. The view from the balcony overlooking the pool and the sea is breathtaking.

All in all we had a great time at the Hilton Rose Hall and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view.
Westfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We just got back from Hilton Rose Hall. We had a good time despite some small issues. We really liked the staff. Kerriann and Nathan at the Seaside Grill were the best. Odion the photographer really connected with my boys and patiently took some really nice pictures of us. I thought the food was great. There were a lot of choices and it's a really good idea to email ahead so you get to eat where you want to eat. It was a nice mix of basic things like burgers and jerk chicken and then fancier great food that was available at Three Palms. Breakfast at Fresh was always good. The coffee was outstanding. The facilities were clean and beautiful. Their beach is a little small but it's plenty for everything you want to do.
Our room needed a little work. We get two rooms since we are a big family and the locks were broken in both our bathrooms. One of the balcony doors wouldn't lock but since we were 7 stories up it wasn't a big deal. The bathrooms were a little worn out. The shower wasn't great. The beds were very comfortable. Some of the negatives were from the crowds and the usual issues from jerky people that could happen anywhere. Almost every single beach chair was claimed by 8 in the morning. I wish the staff could have done something about that. There were very few umbrellas available. I couldn't get one the whole time we were there. The staff was pretty good about moving a chair to the shade for us. There definitely are not enough tubes. People would obnoxiously hog them. I saw them piled up on people's chairs, hidden under towels and dragged behind cabanas. By the end of the week we decided to fight back and just take them anyway! haha! The other negative was the live music that played every night until 1030. There was no escaping it! We are early risers and had trouble sleeping before 1030. We were in room 708/710 and it was incredibly loud. If you are like us and like to go to bed early, make sure you request a room far from the music. We did several excurions that made our trip. The Chukka ziplining was great, their jeep tour of the island was excellent. I highly recommend that. We saw so much. We were taken to an orange grove, the jungle, a waterfall where no one else was. We also went 4 wheeling on dirt roads and saw a very old church that was a refuge was slaves long ago. It was fantastic. These tours helped with the whole crowded resort issue too. We would eat breakfast and leave until around 2 PM, eat lunch back at the resort and then by then a lot of people we done with the sun and chairs and tubes would be available again. We also did the Dreamers Catamaran. It was great fun though we were not impressed with the stop at Margaritaville which was a total tourist trap. It would have been better without that one stop. We would return to this Hilton again though I may look into other ones for another time. Overall it was very good.

Room Tip: Be aware of the loud live music every night if you are in a room that is near the band.
Hopewell Junction, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Since I totally relied on these reviews before our trip, I had to write one. This was my first time to Jamaica, first time traveling outside of the U.S. I travelled with my husband and two kids, 11&8. We stayed at the resort April 10th-17th. I was very nervous, do not be nervous! Going through immigration & customs was fine, you come into a room where they set up your transportation-seems very chaotic but they have a system. They will get you to your resort safely. The people are so friendly and helpful. One of the reasons I chose this resort is because it is so close to the airport, about 15 minutes. It's a beautiful ride, you can see the ocean and pass a bunch of other resorts.
Some people have stated this resort is in need of updates,I do not agree. I felt the resort was very modern, contemporary style. The property was very clean and well maintained. Our room seemed freshly painted white, very plain, no pictures. Furniture was modern, the bathroom had a nice sink console with granite counter. We were in room 518 on the west side facing all of the action. Not the place to be if you want it to be quiet at night, the band plays until 10:30pm. This worked out perfect for us. Our kids were in bed by 8pm, my husband and I would sit on our balcony and listen to the band.
The service was great everywhere. For as busy as it was, there was never much of a wait. We tipped our favorite bartenders, servers and always at dinner. Bring a ton of singles, the tips are greatly appreciated and they deserve it.
They have a lot of fun drinks, the special changes daily. I loved the "bam bam" drink. I would usually choose a red wine with dinner, not so good here. You can get a nice bottle of wine at Luna Di Mare-Italian restaurant. As far as beer, Red Stripe, that's it. My kids loved that they could walk up and order their own strawberry daiquiris and piña coladas.
We were happy with the lunch options at Mangoes or the Seaside Grill. Sometimes they would set up a tent near the beach with a buffet serving jerk chicken and burgers. We all loved the jerk chicken! We liked all of the restaurants although eating at Fresh was our favorite. While on vacation, we like to maximize our day, clean up and eat when we want, not have to worry about a reservation. As far as your attire for the restaurants, casual but nice. Some people are dressed up nice, some are not. My husband and son wore a gulf shirt, shorts and sandals. My daughter and I wore a dress.
There was plenty of entertainment for the kids. They loved floating around in the lazy river, going down the water slides, swimming in the big pool and the ocean, played in the sand, went kayaking, played ping pong, hung out in the video game room. They do have motorized sports for an additional cost, looked like lots of fun!
FYI-bring high SPF sunblock, I couldn't stress this enough. Reapply every time you come out of the water. We brought SPF 30, reapplied 3x on our first day, we all burned somewhere on our bodies. I had to buy SPF 50 in the gift shop-very expensive. It was very busy and was very difficult to find a shaded place to settle each day. My husband would go down at about 6am and it was difficult to find an umbrella. Sometimes you can find a spot under a tree on the beach. I recommend bringing surf shirts for your kids, boys and girls.
We went on one trip outside of the resort to Dolphin Cove in Negril. We swam with a Dolphin named Nina. She literally took us each for a ride. Totally worth it, the kids loved it!
Overall this was a fantastic trip. We would love to go back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Service: Just look for Nickalov by the swim up bar - he mixes perfect drinks to your liking and is a pleasure to talk with (he made our time at the pool stress free) - Breakfast... the gentleman preparing omelets is a pro!

Beach: Sand is a little rough at the waters edge, but the surf is perfect for little ones. My 5 and 8 year olds loved it. Plenty of chairs and space to run around and pass ball. There are also kayaks and sail boats (included) to check out the reefs. The glass bottom boat was also a nice touch for the kiddos.

Hotel: The hotel is a bit dated, but is very clean. We were there during spring break (very crowded) and the staff kept up and were very friendly. WiFi is available in room for a fee, and for free in the Internet Cafe off the lobby.

Room: The AC runs constantly with a nice hum (you are in Jamaica...) The beds (pillow top) and blankets are very comfortable. Refrigerator in the room is stocked with "Wata".

All in all, if you are looking for luxury or a couples getaway (although there is an adults only side of the beach), I wouldn't suggest this hotel, but for families, this is the best place in Montego Bay.

Room Tip: Rooms that are described to have partial ocean view, are really in the garden view category at most...
iriskas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival to Hilton, frankly, I was immediately upset, because we are used to more luxurious amenities.
But we came to learn that the good outweighed the bad, by far, and we had a great vacation.

Pros: 1)great, super friendly, accommodating staff (Luna restaurant, our favorite, had great food and waitstaff - Nathan and others were super).
2) safe for kids, relatively shallow beach with clean bottom and beautiful water. Free catamarans and kayaks! Our 6 year old had a blast!
3) fun pool with lazy river and slides (mostly enjoyable for kids though) , good drinks made by Nikolov , the bartender.
4)good service at seaside grill at dinner time.
5)emailed ahead with several requests and all were granted.

*Please tip, tip, tip! Everyone, everywhere works hard! Show them appreciation.

Cons: not enough umbrellas! That is the biggest minus. It is not acceptable. Crowded pools, not enough tubes for lazy river .. But we swam in it without, was still fun :)
May be a wider selection of food at The Fresh for diner and snack bar at the beach. Pretty small, dated rooms with small screen LCDs in rooms. Not terrible. We got used to them, as the ocean view made it better.
Overall, it was a great family vacation.

• Stayed April 2014
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I traveled with my adult daughter. We are used to going to adult only resorts so we were a little hesitant, but we had a great time. We arrived at the hotel before check in time and was prepared to wait, but we were shown right to our room. We discovered we had an adjoining door and wanted to change. Ingrid changed our room quickly and with no problem. She was really great and when she saw us the next day asked if we were happy. Great customer service. Upon arrival we met Denva and he was great throughout our entire stay. He had a wealth of knowledge and was very friendly. He always had a smile on his face and could not do enough for us. The room was clean, but dated. A remodel is truly needed. Several people who reviewed this resort made mention of the Bob Marley drink and I have to admit it was a hit. The food was decent and the drinks were very good. The best food was from the Jerk Chicken cart. We really enjoyed the lazy river and the water slides. The beach was small, but not bad. The staff was friendly and attentive. We never had a problem getting a drink or our food. I have to admit the children were not a problem.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!