“Great time yet again!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
The Midlands
“Great time yet again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was our 3rd year back to the Hilton and again it ticked all the boxes!
Such a friendly welcoming hotel and all the staff are lovely. On our first morning down by the lazy river one of the gardeners climbed a coconut tree and got us a fresh coconut so that we could try the fresh milk! All staff are either singing or dancing and always speak.
The food was of a great variety and the main buffet restaurant Fresh had themed nights each evening with a very large selection of food. The other 3 bookable restaurants Seaside Grill, Three Palms & Luna were excellent and were a more up market eating experience.

Bar King Frog is the main bar in the hotel and is always lively during the evening with the bar staff entertaining you with their cocktail making or sometimes some brain teasers. Look out for Leoniel, Shane,Bertram, Michael, Omarlo & Rockcliff the bar tenders and Kim-Ann the waitress.
One afternoon I happened to mention to Bertram that I would like some Lays crisps, he asked me which flavour and that evening 2 bags were handed to me by him! nothing is too much trouble, if they can help they will.
Entertainment throughout the day was good and special a thanks to Shevon & Kamar for their daily chats.

Our room was great & spotlessly clean, the beds are so comfortable. Special thanks to Tracy-Ann our cleaner who looked after our room during our stay.

During our 3 years of visiting Jamaica we have seen most of the Island, there are some fascinating things to see & do and we have had private customised tours with a fantastic guy called Alrick from http://yourjamaicantourguide.com/ if visiting Jamaica you must look him up for your trips around the Island! (we have used other companies but nothing compares)
I would highly recommend this hotel and I think we will return again next year!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Plainfield, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

First off, if you have never been to Jamaica, I strongly suggest seeing Jamaica and all of it's history and beauty. With that said, if you have been there, done that, Jamaica for a day Hilton Rose Hall is worth the $. We had a relaxing and fun filled day at the lazy rizer and drinking wonderful concoctions from the swim up bar! We felt like kids going down the slides which conveniently dumped you at the bar! Of course the ocean is always a pleasure and they provide nice loungers to sun your buns! Don't miss the jerk chicken! It is amazing! Excellent day!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I normally don't review vacations but I felt this one needed a review. My husband and five year old daughter and I visit a different beach each year. Perhaps we have been a bit spoiled. I'm not sure how anyone who's ever visited a true "all inclusive" resort would give this an excellent review. The vacation wasnt bad, but definitely not worth the money. The water park was the most impressive part, and we can get that anywhere. I don't need to spend money in Jamaica for that. 80% of the food was not edible. It was awful and I actually became ill twice from eating at "fresh". The hotel wasnt dirty or uncomfortable but definitely not what we expected from a Hilton. I wouldn't waste the money a second time. To top off the vacation.....we arrived at the Jamaican airport only to find that our driver must have handled cocaine right before handling out bags. On a final note, stay away from down town!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013
RobdeBekker, Manager at Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Recent Guest,

We thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent vacation. Reading your comments, it appears that we fell short of your expectations and for that, we sincerely apologize. We are accustomed to receiving very positive feedback from our guests and are disheartened that you did not experience the level of excellence you deserve. Please be assured that your concerns will be shared with our team so that corrective measures are taken where feasible.

We do hope that you can give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel if your travels bring you to our area again.
Yours sincerely,

Rob de Bekker
Director of Food & Beverage
Clifton Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I read quite a few reviews on TripAdvisor before leaving for my honeymoon to Hilton Rose Hall and I had some concerns. These concerns were quickly allayed. Here are the truths. The resort could use some updating here and there. You can see some peeling and cracking paint in some places and the bottom of the lazy river could be re-sealed(it's a little jagged). However, these are exterior concerns only. Driving past other buildings, including a big condo place, I noticed that our hotel looked better from the outside. The ocean wind and moisture does a lot of damage to paint. It is what it is. It does not take away from the quality of the resort, it's staff, or anything inside the building.

The rooms are not small. I read this in a couple of reviews. Unless you are constantly staying in suites and are used to big places with kitchens, you're nuts. These rooms are the exact same size as hundreds of other hotel rooms I've been in all across America and the world. The food is not blow your mind good, but so what, you're not going to a 4 star restaurant. It's an all inclusive. There was plenty of variety and I ate different food for almost every meal. My favorite thing was the pasta station in the Fresh restaurant for dinner. Some nights it was Italian and you chose your pasta type, your vegetables, your sauce and some spices and they wokked it up for you. I mixed Alfredo with Tomato sauce and it was the tastiest thing I had the whole time I stayed there. Other nights it was Asian style and I had some Teriyaki beef and lo mein. All very good.

Another frequent complaint I read is that the drinks are watered down or not very alcoholic. There's two things I can say about this. If you sit around drinking mudslides and pina coladas and Ziggy Marleys that are filled with lower proof rum cream and other low proof liquors and a bit of rum, that's what you get. When I hung around the pool, the lower alcohol content of those drinks was perfect because I don't need to get wasted while I'm swimming around. When I went to the bar and club in the evenings, I would just order real drinks. If you ask the bartenders to put more liquor in your drink, they will. If you ask them to use premium liquor, they will. You ask for basically anything and you will hear 'No problem mon'. So if you think the drinks are a little light, do something about it. Don't just sit there and whine.

I realized one night that I would really like to have a vodka mixed with red bull, but the resort didn't stock red bull. I mentioned it to Davee at Bar King Frog and he immediately said 'I'll go get some for you. How many do you need?'. He was more than willing to immediately leave the resort, drive down to a gas station and pick up some Red Bull for me. This was the same in any and every situation(probably helps that I was tipping and he thought he could get a decent tip for the trip to the store). I bet if I had asked him to go get me a bag of Dorito's, he would have made it happen. No one had any problem jumping to meet your every wish.

My wife and I specifically planned this trip for early September because we wanted to come during the off-time. Specifically, we were there from September 8th through September 13th. We don't have kids and figured there would be far fewer of them screaming in our relaxing pools if we waited until the school year started. This was a pretty good call. The resort was clearly not full. Common TripAdvisor complaints about not enough towels/tubes/pool lounge chairs were not an issue whatsoever. One particularly sunny morning I had trouble finding a chair in the Lazy River area with an umbrella nearby, but there were tons of open chairs without umbrellas and way more on the beach itself. I almost never waited for a single thing. The few visitors who did have kids were below school age, or European. I don't know if the school year starts later there, but I would say it must based on the number of 6-10 year old kids from other countries.

The only disadvantage to our trip timing was that the Three Palms restaurant was closed. One bartender told me that Three Palms is the one restaurant that is not owned by the hotel so they can close up whenever they want. Everything else in the hotel was open and Seaside Grill was extended for dinner hours so we could have two fancy dinners. Luna Di Mare was excellent, though and I highly recommend the beef strips. I had it with alfredo sauce, even though that is not listed as an option. They were happy to make an exception. I wish I could definitely remember our waiter's name because he was our favorite employee at the resort hand's down, but I'm not sure. I think it was Nathan...

To be very clear, the room we got was room 214. This is probably the absolute closest room you can get to the stage where the band plays nightly from 8:30-10pm. When checking in, the receptionist warned us of the noise. We were not worried about it because we did not intend on going to sleep at or before 10pm any night. Inevitably, we got a little drunk and maybe jetlagged on our first day and were ready for bed at 9pm. However, the noise was not intolerable and I quickly fell asleep. If I had young kids with me, I would not have wanted that room, but I wouldn't be all that scared of the noise. It wasn't that bad and most of the time I was out watching the band between 8:30-10, not trying to fall asleep.

We did get some rain while were there but the resort tried to keep things upbeat by doing some trivia and bingo and other things while we waited around. They will not close the pool or anything else for rain alone, only when its accompanied by lightning. I swam around while it was raining a number of times. The slides really are a blast and I highly recommend taking advantage of the slides while you are there. You are not too old for it!

One other specific complaint to address is the nightclub. It's definitely true that not a lot of young singles come to this resort. It's a lot of families and many older couples. My wife and I are a bit younger and we did check out the nightclub a couple of nights. It was usually pretty bare and the crowds that did show up often vacated by midnight or a little after. But Bar King Frog is very lively from 9-11 and we always had a good time chatting with other travelers and the bartenders. I would say that if you're looking for one big party, this might not be your resort. But if you've come to relax and like chatting up strangers, you can still have a lot of fun. We made a lot of friends from all over the world. We even met someone who lived in our own hometown. Small world.

Overall, we had a great week, a great honeymoon, and we'd definitely go again. The price was definitely right. I also am very sure that I gained some weight on this vacation from all the food and sugary drinks and liquor. I went from beach body when I showed up to jerk chicken body when I left. One last very serious note, if you hear a bell ringing around 11am-noon near the pool, head towards it. That is the JerkMo jerk chicken cart. The chicken is delicious and the festival (fried dough) is hot and tasty. Don't miss the jerk cart, you'll regret it.

Room Tip: If travelling with kids or if you want to get to sleep early, avoid the lower levels. Rooms with low...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was our first family trip with our 4 year old and 9 year old and we all had the time of our lives. We were told that the water park was amazing for kids and what we were told was so true. We came from Newfoundland, Canada , it was a long trip for all of us plus our 2 friends and their children but it was the best trip ever and our kids went home with memories that will last forever. I would like to make a special thank you to Kamar who was part if the entertainment team. Our children immediately had a connection with him and whenever they saw him he made them laugh and smile. They even had him autograph their Jamaica hats on our final day there. They have not taken off their hat yet and we have been home 3 days now. The hotel staff were the best and we really appreciated all their hard work that made our trip so wonderful. I would recommend this resort to everyone especially those with families. Can't wait to slide down the water slide in the tube again!! Thanks again. The Fitzpatrick family, Paradise, Newfoundland and Labrador

Room Tip: Ocean view overlooking water park 5th floor or higher has spectacular view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Benfleet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I read all the reviews before we chose a hotel to experience Jamaica and this was perfect from the short transfer ,surroundings ,hotel restaurants ,pools and beach. The staff are outstanding and made us so welcome from the beach with our free water sports ,pool attendants ,wonderful entertainments staff who give a great show every evening with guest appearances ,to the waiting staff and cleaning staff, grounds men who will cut a coconut for you and out tour rep from Fist choice who explained every trip available . A brilliant 12 days and everyone thanks you for visiting their island which just showed how proud the lovely Jamaican people are. No negatives just pluses from us .You will never be thirsty or hungry as it is all there .Even more fresh food served from 11pm till late. This hotel is great for all ages ! Regards Lisa xx

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies and our King size was extremely comfortable
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel is gorgeous and super relaxing just what I needed on this getaway.I love there is a healthy menu to choose from and the food is healthy and delicious. Shavon and kamar from the
entertainment as well fitness were very professional and attentive to our needs we enjoyed power walking with them and when we went to the disco they were very kind and fun. I will definitely go back next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!