“Had a blast!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Rose Hall
Clifton Park, New York
“Had a blast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I read quite a few reviews on TripAdvisor before leaving for my honeymoon to Hilton Rose Hall and I had some concerns. These concerns were quickly allayed. Here are the truths. The resort could use some updating here and there. You can see some peeling and cracking paint in some places and the bottom of the lazy river could be re-sealed(it's a little jagged). However, these are exterior concerns only. Driving past other buildings, including a big condo place, I noticed that our hotel looked better from the outside. The ocean wind and moisture does a lot of damage to paint. It is what it is. It does not take away from the quality of the resort, it's staff, or anything inside the building.

The rooms are not small. I read this in a couple of reviews. Unless you are constantly staying in suites and are used to big places with kitchens, you're nuts. These rooms are the exact same size as hundreds of other hotel rooms I've been in all across America and the world. The food is not blow your mind good, but so what, you're not going to a 4 star restaurant. It's an all inclusive. There was plenty of variety and I ate different food for almost every meal. My favorite thing was the pasta station in the Fresh restaurant for dinner. Some nights it was Italian and you chose your pasta type, your vegetables, your sauce and some spices and they wokked it up for you. I mixed Alfredo with Tomato sauce and it was the tastiest thing I had the whole time I stayed there. Other nights it was Asian style and I had some Teriyaki beef and lo mein. All very good.

Another frequent complaint I read is that the drinks are watered down or not very alcoholic. There's two things I can say about this. If you sit around drinking mudslides and pina coladas and Ziggy Marleys that are filled with lower proof rum cream and other low proof liquors and a bit of rum, that's what you get. When I hung around the pool, the lower alcohol content of those drinks was perfect because I don't need to get wasted while I'm swimming around. When I went to the bar and club in the evenings, I would just order real drinks. If you ask the bartenders to put more liquor in your drink, they will. If you ask them to use premium liquor, they will. You ask for basically anything and you will hear 'No problem mon'. So if you think the drinks are a little light, do something about it. Don't just sit there and whine.

I realized one night that I would really like to have a vodka mixed with red bull, but the resort didn't stock red bull. I mentioned it to Davee at Bar King Frog and he immediately said 'I'll go get some for you. How many do you need?'. He was more than willing to immediately leave the resort, drive down to a gas station and pick up some Red Bull for me. This was the same in any and every situation(probably helps that I was tipping and he thought he could get a decent tip for the trip to the store). I bet if I had asked him to go get me a bag of Dorito's, he would have made it happen. No one had any problem jumping to meet your every wish.

My wife and I specifically planned this trip for early September because we wanted to come during the off-time. Specifically, we were there from September 8th through September 13th. We don't have kids and figured there would be far fewer of them screaming in our relaxing pools if we waited until the school year started. This was a pretty good call. The resort was clearly not full. Common TripAdvisor complaints about not enough towels/tubes/pool lounge chairs were not an issue whatsoever. One particularly sunny morning I had trouble finding a chair in the Lazy River area with an umbrella nearby, but there were tons of open chairs without umbrellas and way more on the beach itself. I almost never waited for a single thing. The few visitors who did have kids were below school age, or European. I don't know if the school year starts later there, but I would say it must based on the number of 6-10 year old kids from other countries.

The only disadvantage to our trip timing was that the Three Palms restaurant was closed. One bartender told me that Three Palms is the one restaurant that is not owned by the hotel so they can close up whenever they want. Everything else in the hotel was open and Seaside Grill was extended for dinner hours so we could have two fancy dinners. Luna Di Mare was excellent, though and I highly recommend the beef strips. I had it with alfredo sauce, even though that is not listed as an option. They were happy to make an exception. I wish I could definitely remember our waiter's name because he was our favorite employee at the resort hand's down, but I'm not sure. I think it was Nathan...

To be very clear, the room we got was room 214. This is probably the absolute closest room you can get to the stage where the band plays nightly from 8:30-10pm. When checking in, the receptionist warned us of the noise. We were not worried about it because we did not intend on going to sleep at or before 10pm any night. Inevitably, we got a little drunk and maybe jetlagged on our first day and were ready for bed at 9pm. However, the noise was not intolerable and I quickly fell asleep. If I had young kids with me, I would not have wanted that room, but I wouldn't be all that scared of the noise. It wasn't that bad and most of the time I was out watching the band between 8:30-10, not trying to fall asleep.

We did get some rain while were there but the resort tried to keep things upbeat by doing some trivia and bingo and other things while we waited around. They will not close the pool or anything else for rain alone, only when its accompanied by lightning. I swam around while it was raining a number of times. The slides really are a blast and I highly recommend taking advantage of the slides while you are there. You are not too old for it!

One other specific complaint to address is the nightclub. It's definitely true that not a lot of young singles come to this resort. It's a lot of families and many older couples. My wife and I are a bit younger and we did check out the nightclub a couple of nights. It was usually pretty bare and the crowds that did show up often vacated by midnight or a little after. But Bar King Frog is very lively from 9-11 and we always had a good time chatting with other travelers and the bartenders. I would say that if you're looking for one big party, this might not be your resort. But if you've come to relax and like chatting up strangers, you can still have a lot of fun. We made a lot of friends from all over the world. We even met someone who lived in our own hometown. Small world.

Overall, we had a great week, a great honeymoon, and we'd definitely go again. The price was definitely right. I also am very sure that I gained some weight on this vacation from all the food and sugary drinks and liquor. I went from beach body when I showed up to jerk chicken body when I left. One last very serious note, if you hear a bell ringing around 11am-noon near the pool, head towards it. That is the JerkMo jerk chicken cart. The chicken is delicious and the festival (fried dough) is hot and tasty. Don't miss the jerk cart, you'll regret it.

Room Tip: If travelling with kids or if you want to get to sleep early, avoid the lower levels. Rooms with low...

3,300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (994)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was our first family trip with our 4 year old and 9 year old and we all had the time of our lives. We were told that the water park was amazing for kids and what we were told was so true. We came from Newfoundland, Canada , it was a long trip for all of us plus our 2 friends and their children but it was the best trip ever and our kids went home with memories that will last forever. I would like to make a special thank you to Kamar who was part if the entertainment team. Our children immediately had a connection with him and whenever they saw him he made them laugh and smile. They even had him autograph their Jamaica hats on our final day there. They have not taken off their hat yet and we have been home 3 days now. The hotel staff were the best and we really appreciated all their hard work that made our trip so wonderful. I would recommend this resort to everyone especially those with families. Can't wait to slide down the water slide in the tube again!! Thanks again. The Fitzpatrick family, Paradise, Newfoundland and Labrador

Room Tip: Ocean view overlooking water park 5th floor or higher has spectacular view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Benfleet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I read all the reviews before we chose a hotel to experience Jamaica and this was perfect from the short transfer ,surroundings ,hotel restaurants ,pools and beach. The staff are outstanding and made us so welcome from the beach with our free water sports ,pool attendants ,wonderful entertainments staff who give a great show every evening with guest appearances ,to the waiting staff and cleaning staff, grounds men who will cut a coconut for you and out tour rep from Fist choice who explained every trip available . A brilliant 12 days and everyone thanks you for visiting their island which just showed how proud the lovely Jamaican people are. No negatives just pluses from us .You will never be thirsty or hungry as it is all there .Even more fresh food served from 11pm till late. This hotel is great for all ages ! Regards Lisa xx

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies and our King size was extremely comfortable
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel is gorgeous and super relaxing just what I needed on this getaway.I love there is a healthy menu to choose from and the food is healthy and delicious. Shavon and kamar from the
entertainment as well fitness were very professional and attentive to our needs we enjoyed power walking with them and when we went to the disco they were very kind and fun. I will definitely go back next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I love to travel, and we have always taken an International trip for our wedding anniversary. This year we decided to use some of our Hilton points towards the All-Inclusive Hilton Rose Hall Resort. I travel almost every week for business, so I stay in Hiltons across the US. I'd like to make a few comments and specific thanks for making our trip an unforgettable one!

The grounds of this hotel are kept immaculate. You can tell that they focus on that because the staff is up in the early hours of the morning attending to making sure everything looks perfect for you each morning. I would recommend a view on the West side of the Resort as you have fantastic views of the Cinnamon Hill Golf Course and Ocean (with the Sunset views).

I reached out to the GM ahead of the trip to let him know about our anniversary trip, and he was responsive and attentive in helping me out. He went beyond the extra mile to help make sure this was an amazing trip for my wife and me. It started with check-in. We arrived early to the hotel (before check-in time), and so we were having a few drinks while our room was being prepared. Ingrid came and greeted us by name to let us know that our amazing room / suite was available. We saw her a few other times over our stay, and she remembered us by name and always had a smile on her face ready to help in whatever manner possible!

I'm a big breakfast fan, so I was very pleased with the buffet selection for breakfast. Sylvester is a machine working omelettes in the morning. You can tell he's very good at his job as he works on about 6 omelettes at a time while being pleasant to visit with. Job well done.

On to the activities! The Hotel does a great job of giving you options if you get antsy sitting around / lounging all day (like I do). There is a board filled with activities from Hermit Crab Races to Bocce Ball and Volleyball to evening festivities. The entire staff was extremely friendly and made our stay memorable, but I wanted to specifically thank several by name. Daveon was the first activity coordinator we met. He was extremely pleasant and passionate about his job. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our time meeting him. He's great at activities, and I'm sure will be equally successful at the front desk or whatever else he puts his mind to. Yuki !! - it's rare that I can meet someone to give me a solid challenge in ping-pong. Jess and I appreciated your lively energy throughout our stay. I had so much fun playing you in ping-pong. We are thankful for your experience at Hilton and the concern for making our trip fun. Kamar! - Jess and I think you might have the most sustaining energy of anyone we've ever met! Kamar did fantastic at his job! He keeps you entertained throughout the day and into the night (MCing for the activities). Your energy and smile are infectious! Thank you for keeping us upbeat and engaged throughout the trip! Shevon! - you're a talented individual. We appreciate you sharing your talents and happiness with us! Made our trip. We continue to talk about the dance moves and energy in the Cricket Club. Also, special thanks to Burton for showing Jess and I how to wind surf! Been a bucket list item of mine for many years.

I spent a lot of this review talking about the staff. You can go to a lot of places that have beautiful views, but it's the people that make the extra difference. What if it rains on your stay? You can't control that, but I can assure you this staff would still keep you entertained and enjoying your vacation.

Mgmt should be thankful for the staff that helps make this a wonderful place to visit!

Respect!
Mr. and Mrs. Jamaica (aka The Shockas)

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have just returned from a 10 night stay at this hotel and what an amazing holiday. From beginning to end we were made to feel welcome and the staff were all so friendly. A special mention to Christopher in "Fresh", Rick in "Seaside Grill" and Colin "Lune Di Mare". The water slide was so much fun and the lazy river really makes this holiday spectacular. I will definitely return to this hotel so ignore the negative reviews. Yes the bathroom could be updated but is that really going to affect your holiday? NO! There is good energy around the pool but also quiet areas for a time out. The food was outstanding and always so much choice, the jerk cart is a must. Even though there is no proper stretch of beach the views and sea are still amazing and water sports still to be done.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Boston, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Read most of the reviews about the Rose Hall Hilton in Jamaica before spending just over two weeks there in August-September. The hotel is not as bad as some of the reviewers make it out to be - except for the stuffy smell and poor air quality in the hallways. A good carpet cleaning and maintenance job should take care of that. The restaurants were good, but getting low-sodium meals was a problem (the folks who prepare the fish dishes really lay on the salt. The amount of salt in the fish offerings would frighten even those who do not have hypertension.) The chefs were great in trying to accommodate us here, but most of the meal offerings were already prepared. The retiree crowd might want to investigate hotels that pay special attention to dietary needs, as this is not a priority for all hotels. I found some great local restaurants (The Drunken Squid, The Chill Out Hut) just up the road from the Hilton that prepared meals just how you want them. The stay at the Hilton was, overall, quite enjoyable, and I would gladly return if the question of reasonably easy availability of low-sodium meals was addressed.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!