“Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Rose Hall
American Fork, Utah
“Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is my 3rd time staying at the Hilton Rose Hall Hotel Jamaica, if you have children this may be the best hotel to stay at. The food is excellent, rooms are clean, workers are great and friendly, the hotel have a great slide for having fun. My first two times we took our nephews and they had a blast, this time it was just adults and we had fun. The hotel have two beaches but the one for adults is not very well marked and kids do swim there with their parents. The hotel charge $12.99 for internet in the room which is very high and not worth the cost, there is free wireless but you have to go to the internet cafe whis is slow and yes filled with kids checking facebook and other social network. My opinion on what the hotel should charge for internet in the room is around $7 per night, that is a fair and reasonable price, also if you are a Hilton Honors member it should be free. the hotel have to pools, a lazy pool with a water slide and a regular pool. The pool hours are decent but the beach is open 24 hours and yes after certain hours you swimon your own. I enjoyed the hotel but I cant say if this will be my last stay but as far as entertainment for adults I would give the hotel a grade of C. I would rate this hotel in the excellent catagory with one exception,adult entertainment is lacking.

Room Tip: ocean fromt rooms are the best but all rooms are excellent and clean.

3,383 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,016)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We just returned from a 10 day family vacation at the Hilton Rose Hall. We stayed from July 15th to the 25th. This resort is really a lot of fun for families with children. I have 12 and 14 year old sons. We booked our stay through American Airlines Vacations. FLIGHT: American Airlines is not great. I was disappointed in their service. I haven’t flown American in a while but it has definitely changed. Our flight from Albuquerque to Dallas was delayed on the way to Jamaica and they put us on Delta. Delta was a nicer airline for sure. I also had to pay their $25.00 per bag fee when it was American Airlines fault that our plane was delayed. I was not happy about this but had no choice as American was going to fly us to Houston and make us spend the night if we did not fly with Delta. It was a frustrating way to start our vacation. Flying back had no issues with American, but you better not expect much. No snacks and barely any service on a long international flight. We will not use American again. ROOM: To start with, I booked a Caribbean Suite to have the extra room for or 10 day stay. It is a regular room with two queen beds and an attached extra room and bathroom with table 3 chairs, sleeper sofa, and a tv. It did have an extra balcony and was ocean view. It was nice to have the extra room and the extra bathroom but I do think it was a little pricey for what you got. It was an extra $270.00 per night. It should be no more than $100.00 per night extra as it will not accommodate extra guests. LAZY RIVER POOL AREA: The lazy river area and pool on that side has a very abrasive bottom. It will peel off the skin if you use it daily for a long period. I have pool shoes but my sons and wife did not and it hurt their feet. It also gets very dirty by the end of the day. Lots of people use it and leave their cups lying around everywhere and even in the pool. Cups and straws will float by in the lazy river. Very few tubes but you can find them if you are patient. The tube slide is fun and the longest. The regular water slide is in sections and dumps out after a few feet into smaller pools where you have to get onto the small section of water slide again. This is fun for small children but not great for older kids or adults. This is a VERY busy place a times. Hard to get to the swim up bar and lots of people come to this resort off of a carnival cruise at times during the week. When you see the cruise ship go by the resort, they will be there the next day around 10:00am. They get full run and use all of the amenities. FULL SIZE POOL: The full size pool area is where we would spend most of our time. We really enjoyed this pool area. This pool area is close to the beach and ocean and has its own bar area and restaurant. It can be difficult to get chairs if you don't get there early in the morning. There were several mornings I could not sleep and got up at sunrise (around 5:45am) and chairs were already taken with towels on them. I would lay out towels but would stay with my chairs until my family came to the pool. Most people did not and just "reserved" them with their towels on them. Most were taken under the umbrellas and in the shady sections early. There is service at this pool but it is hit or miss. Not always around and easier and faster to get your own drink/food. This is where the Seaside Grill is and I do have to say the Jerk Chicken here is great. Sometimes I would eat it twice a day. Excellent. Here is a special hello to Donald the bartender here. Tyrone-Paul was the best waiter we had at the Seaside Grill the whole time we were here. RESTAURANTS: Restaurants at this resort are pretty good for the most part. You have to understand what you are getting here. This is not the USA and the quality of the food is not quite the same. The service and friendliness of the wait staff is much better in some instances than in the USA. I did tip and my service may have been better because of that. FRESH is the buffet restaurant. It is a buffet. Some of these reviews are critical here but it is meant to be a place to get a quick meal with lots of options. They really do a good job for the most part in having a variety of food. They usually have fresh fruit, salads, bread, Caribbean food choices, pizzas, special selections, stir fry, desert, soft- serve ice cream. We could always find something to eat here. Generally pretty good too. You have to try the fried plantains and callaloo. Also the soft serve ice-cream here was very good. I don’t know why but is seemed very creamy. Here is a special hello to Shanta. She was a very special waitress/trainee who spoke to use every time she saw us and always had a smile on her face. Thanks for the great service Shanta. MANGOS is the restaurant by the lazy river. It has basically junk food, hotdogs, nachos, hamburgers , jerk wraps (my favorite), sandwiches, etc. Don’t forget the Jamaican beef patties. You can get them here!! SEASIDE GRILL is by the main pool and was very enjoyable. They have swordfish, chicken, shrimp, etc. THREE PALMS is on the golf course and you have to take a shuttle to get there. The food was good with good service. We really enjoyed our waiter Tyrone here. LUNA DI MARE is the Italian restaurant. We enjoyed the food here. The lasagna was my favorite with a four cheese pizza for appetizer. Another thing to know is you only get table wines as part of your meal. If you want a bottle or wine service, you have to pay for that extra. This is at all of the restaurants. I was a little disappointed it this aspect of the food service as this is not explained. GOLF: My oldest son and I did play golf one day at the Cinnamon Hill golf course. Course was in pretty good shape for an out of USA golf course. I have played worse in USA. Was a little pricey by the time you rent your clubs and buy balls and tip the caddie. I do have to say that our caddie was great. Our caddie’s name was Warren and if you ever play golf here, get him as your caddie. He is truly a Jamaican gem. OVERALL: Overall this is a nice place to go as a family. I would not go here for a honeymoon or a vacation with just my wife. Sandals, super-clubs, couples resorts would be better for that. My kids had a great time though and my wife and I did too because they did. I hope this review helps as we stayed here for 10 days and learned a lot while we were here.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

RobdeBekker, Manager at Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Recent Guest,

On behalf of the management and staff of our beautiful resort I would like to thank you for your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to read the comprehensive assessment of your experience and we are pleased that we delivered up to your expectations for most aspects of your vacation. We are also delighted that you enjoyed the food quality, the pools and we appreciate that you highlighted some of our excellent team members.

We are, however, not entirely satisfied due to the fact certain parts of your vacation did not meet your expectations. For that we sincerely apologize and please rest assured that your valuable feedback will be shared with our teams to be able to improve upon our products and services.

Thank you once more for your review and we do hope that we are afforded an opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful Resort!

Yours sincerely,

Rob de Bekker
Director of Food & Beverage
Bridgeport, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have stayed in over a few hundred different hotels. I have to say my stay was not the most pleasant. We arrived at the hotel to check in around 3:00am and check in went fine, but we asked could we change our room. The gentleman at the front desk told us to come to the desk in the morning. We go to the front desk later that morning and ask if the we can switch rooms because there was hair on the towels and bed and we would not fill comfortable staying in the room with the hair all over it. They also said that there would be complimentary water in the room no water was in the room. When we get to the front desk later that morning we where greeted by a gentleman that go to say we are sold out and we need 24hr notice to change our room after talking some more he agreed to change the room. He said check in is not until 4 pm so your room will be done by then. For guest that are already staying I thought that was not except able, and asked to speak to a manager. They put a rush on the room at 11:00am and the room was still not ready until 4:00pm I had my 5 year old with us that wanted to take a nap but we had no were to go. There were three people in the room for 7 days each day the housekeeper left 2 wash cloths, and we stop the housekeeper in the hall way everyday for another wash cloth. There was a bright spot the bellman Roman move or luggage to the new room and explain something about the room we told him we did not get water on the first night later he brought back a few more bottles of water. The toilet in room 593 did not work properly. There was no attention to detail. The employees that worked in all there restaurants and activity's were nice, but will not go back do to the hotel front of house staff.

Pontypool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had a good hoiday at this hotel . The staff were excellent and very friendly and the food very good. Our favourite restaurant was the three palms out of the three , italian being our least favourite .I struggled with the alcholic drinks because even when you asked them for a small amout of spirit , they still put loads in lol , but some wouldn't find that a problem. There were a couple of issues I had, one was that our room was only cleaned 7 days out of fourteen, this was due to the cleaner wanting to clean our room at 4 - 5 each day and that was the time we would go back to our room after being out all day , I did explain this to her and she did come the following two days earlier but soon came back to cleaning late , so we were sending her away. One other thing I would warn you about is the Hotel Taxis trying to over charge us a fair when the price was stated on a board outside , we went and informed a member of staff and was given the taxi at the correct price. For our return journey we found a private taxi driver Morris who drives for Juta tours , who was an absolute star , we ended up booking him for a trip to Nigrel seven mile beach and Riks bar and had a great day at a cheaper rate. Even though i think the hotel was good I would not go back again we were stuck in the middle of no where , could not really walk outside the hotel and after going to Nigrel for the day , that is the place I wish we had stayed . I felt very safe whilst there , where I didnt at the Hip Strp .

Room Tip: Ask for a full sea view. We were in room 107 the handle fell off the patio door. Our safe broke and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife, teen son, tween daughter and I stayed at the Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa in Montego Bay, Jamaica from July 6 - 12. I've visited the Caribbean and Mexico quite a bit, but this was my first time in Jamaica. Here's how I felt about the trip:

Pros
-The room (637) was exactly as I expected - a standard room. Before we left, we upgraded to a partial ocean view. Once I was down there, from what I could see, I really think every room has a partial ocean view. So first-timers, check this out further before paying more.
-Beds were not very comfortable.
-Arrived around 10am, well before check-in and although our room wasn't ready, we did not have to wait until 3pm. In fact, the room was ready before 1pm.
-The specialty restaurants were all very good; I strongly recommend booking asap. After we had tried all three, and we wanted to go back to the Italian restaurant but it was booked. However, we easily cleared the wait list at our preferred time and enjoyed another meal there.
-The property is well laid out. While generally spacious, it's not that large a property (compared to others I have been to) and therefore easy to get around.
-The water park (regular slide, tube slide and lazy river) was very enjoyable...enjoyed by the adults as much as the kids.
-The staff was professional and friendly, for the most part.
-The resort offers free shuttle service to the Rose Hall shopping center, as well as the Tres Palmas Restaurant which is on the property but across the road.
-The staff tried to keep the beach clean from seaweed on a regular basis...a constant job.
-Our departure was at 1pm, check-out time was at 11, and the front desk extended a one-hour later check-out which was very nice. Additionally, they have showers, lockers and changing room making this very convenient.
-Good family vacation. Good price for an all-inclusive. Located close to airport, but not noisy with overhead planes. Safe, secure property.

CONS
-Room air-conditioner was not very strong. Although we had the temperature set at the minimum (I think it was 65), the room did not go below 71 all week.
-I reported that the air conditioner rattled and the shower handle was broken and came off on Tuesday of my staff. By the time I left on Friday, neither problem was addressed.
-The ice machines on 4,5,6 and 7 were out for a few days. When I reported it for the second time, the operator very graciously said she would send a bag of ice up so I wouldn't have to continue to search for ice. I stayed in the room almost an hour waiting, but because I had an excursion planned, I left before the ice arrived...if it ever did.
-The general beach is extremely narrow and chairs were lined up next to each other so close that you couldn't even sneeze without spraying someone (not that I did, just trying to get a point across). The adult beach (the quiet beach) is much more spacious...but if you're on a family vacation, it defeats the purpose.
-On two occasions, when I was on the beach late in the afternoon (around 4pm), the beach staff resets the chairs for the next day, regardless of how many people were still on the beach. The first time this happened, I was turning my chair perpendicular to face the sun and the guy didn't want me to do that, and when I said I wanted to face the sun, he told me to make sure I replaced the chair the right way. (Hello...who works here?)
-While the specialty restaurants were great, the buffet left a lot to be desired, both in quality and quantity. (I do give them props for serving my two favorite tropical fruits: passion fruit and soursop!). On several occasions, the restaurant was open but the specialty station for eggs (in the AM) and the same station for lunch were not yet opened (both times they opened around 10 minutes later but I had already selected my food).
-The kids club was just a room with video games...as opposed to other properties that have outdoor activities for the kids.
-Two elevators is not enough for seven floors, with I believe somewhere around 40 rooms per floor (at least for floors 3-7).

Overall, it was an average vacation. I still rate Club Med at the # all-inclusive (I have been to most of them) and Barcelo Riviera Maya in Mexico a close second. I'd go back to either of them in a minute. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa.

atlanta ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Someone had smoked in our non smoking room but opened balcony and able to air out. They allow smoking on balconies and thus gets in rooms. Food was better than beaches and sandals, particularly enjoyed the stir fry station. Plenty of things to do and loved balconies and water slides.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
North Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is my 5th time at this resort since 2006, which was run by the Wyndham before being taken over by the Hilton group. What a difference!!! The property has been renovated, with new GMs Ron and Jaap. Jaap used to be Food and Beverage Manager when he was just hired in 2008 and has been promoted. Both Ron and Jaap run a tight ship. I actually went for a family wedding which on my recommendation was held there with over 80 family members from the USA and Canada. Reservations Mgr, Sherri-Ann Leslie was phenomenal with her team. Considering this was SumFest and a full house, we had no issues. Jovanni and Keri (both of whom could win a Miss Jamaica competition...very pretty ladies), were extremely helpful and very professional. The bartender assigned to the wedding has won local and international awards, her name is Melissa Fletcher. Ask her for a 7-11 or a Bam-Bam...if you can handle it!!! Marlene and Alicia in the lunch pavillion were just great with their services. Last, but not least, was my housekeeper Patricia White...she is a riot...LUV, LUV HER!!! Overall, I can't say enough of the staff., the new buffet menus, the rooms, amenities, the pillows and Egyptian cotton sheets...all outstanding. Even though I work for the airlines and am used to hotel accomodations being inconsistent, I have to say these folks have their act together for being an "all-inclusive". Kudos to a job well done and I will be back in December.

Kurt Hanson
Hilton Honors Member since 2000

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean or Resort view room. Corner rooms are also great if available. Mine was 7th floor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_Hilton_RH, Manager at Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Kurt,

Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our beautiful resort! It was good to see you and so glad you and your family and friends came back to again experience our authentic Jamaican hospitality. Thank you also for recognizing our excellent staff, you can be assured that we share your review with our entire team to celebrate our successes.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,

Jaap van Dam
Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!