“Just an average vacation” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$139 (USD)
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Rose Hall
Long Island, NY
“Just an average vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife, teen son, tween daughter and I stayed at the Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa in Montego Bay, Jamaica from July 6 - 12. I've visited the Caribbean and Mexico quite a bit, but this was my first time in Jamaica. Here's how I felt about the trip:

Pros
-The room (637) was exactly as I expected - a standard room. Before we left, we upgraded to a partial ocean view. Once I was down there, from what I could see, I really think every room has a partial ocean view. So first-timers, check this out further before paying more.
-Beds were not very comfortable.
-Arrived around 10am, well before check-in and although our room wasn't ready, we did not have to wait until 3pm. In fact, the room was ready before 1pm.
-The specialty restaurants were all very good; I strongly recommend booking asap. After we had tried all three, and we wanted to go back to the Italian restaurant but it was booked. However, we easily cleared the wait list at our preferred time and enjoyed another meal there.
-The property is well laid out. While generally spacious, it's not that large a property (compared to others I have been to) and therefore easy to get around.
-The water park (regular slide, tube slide and lazy river) was very enjoyable...enjoyed by the adults as much as the kids.
-The staff was professional and friendly, for the most part.
-The resort offers free shuttle service to the Rose Hall shopping center, as well as the Tres Palmas Restaurant which is on the property but across the road.
-The staff tried to keep the beach clean from seaweed on a regular basis...a constant job.
-Our departure was at 1pm, check-out time was at 11, and the front desk extended a one-hour later check-out which was very nice. Additionally, they have showers, lockers and changing room making this very convenient.
-Good family vacation. Good price for an all-inclusive. Located close to airport, but not noisy with overhead planes. Safe, secure property.

CONS
-Room air-conditioner was not very strong. Although we had the temperature set at the minimum (I think it was 65), the room did not go below 71 all week.
-I reported that the air conditioner rattled and the shower handle was broken and came off on Tuesday of my staff. By the time I left on Friday, neither problem was addressed.
-The ice machines on 4,5,6 and 7 were out for a few days. When I reported it for the second time, the operator very graciously said she would send a bag of ice up so I wouldn't have to continue to search for ice. I stayed in the room almost an hour waiting, but because I had an excursion planned, I left before the ice arrived...if it ever did.
-The general beach is extremely narrow and chairs were lined up next to each other so close that you couldn't even sneeze without spraying someone (not that I did, just trying to get a point across). The adult beach (the quiet beach) is much more spacious...but if you're on a family vacation, it defeats the purpose.
-On two occasions, when I was on the beach late in the afternoon (around 4pm), the beach staff resets the chairs for the next day, regardless of how many people were still on the beach. The first time this happened, I was turning my chair perpendicular to face the sun and the guy didn't want me to do that, and when I said I wanted to face the sun, he told me to make sure I replaced the chair the right way. (Hello...who works here?)
-While the specialty restaurants were great, the buffet left a lot to be desired, both in quality and quantity. (I do give them props for serving my two favorite tropical fruits: passion fruit and soursop!). On several occasions, the restaurant was open but the specialty station for eggs (in the AM) and the same station for lunch were not yet opened (both times they opened around 10 minutes later but I had already selected my food).
-The kids club was just a room with video games...as opposed to other properties that have outdoor activities for the kids.
-Two elevators is not enough for seven floors, with I believe somewhere around 40 rooms per floor (at least for floors 3-7).

Overall, it was an average vacation. I still rate Club Med at the # all-inclusive (I have been to most of them) and Barcelo Riviera Maya in Mexico a close second. I'd go back to either of them in a minute. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa.

3,279 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (986)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
atlanta ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Someone had smoked in our non smoking room but opened balcony and able to air out. They allow smoking on balconies and thus gets in rooms. Food was better than beaches and sandals, particularly enjoyed the stir fry station. Plenty of things to do and loved balconies and water slides.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
North Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is my 5th time at this resort since 2006, which was run by the Wyndham before being taken over by the Hilton group. What a difference!!! The property has been renovated, with new GMs Ron and Jaap. Jaap used to be Food and Beverage Manager when he was just hired in 2008 and has been promoted. Both Ron and Jaap run a tight ship. I actually went for a family wedding which on my recommendation was held there with over 80 family members from the USA and Canada. Reservations Mgr, Sherri-Ann Leslie was phenomenal with her team. Considering this was SumFest and a full house, we had no issues. Jovanni and Keri (both of whom could win a Miss Jamaica competition...very pretty ladies), were extremely helpful and very professional. The bartender assigned to the wedding has won local and international awards, her name is Melissa Fletcher. Ask her for a 7-11 or a Bam-Bam...if you can handle it!!! Marlene and Alicia in the lunch pavillion were just great with their services. Last, but not least, was my housekeeper Patricia White...she is a riot...LUV, LUV HER!!! Overall, I can't say enough of the staff., the new buffet menus, the rooms, amenities, the pillows and Egyptian cotton sheets...all outstanding. Even though I work for the airlines and am used to hotel accomodations being inconsistent, I have to say these folks have their act together for being an "all-inclusive". Kudos to a job well done and I will be back in December.

Kurt Hanson
Hilton Honors Member since 2000

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean or Resort view room. Corner rooms are also great if available. Mine was 7th floor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_Hilton_RH, Manager at Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Kurt,

Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our beautiful resort! It was good to see you and so glad you and your family and friends came back to again experience our authentic Jamaican hospitality. Thank you also for recognizing our excellent staff, you can be assured that we share your review with our entire team to celebrate our successes.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

My fiancée & I went to HRH from the 7/10/13 to 7/24/13 to get married. We brought along some family. Our wedding planner was brilliant, she took away all the stress! Everything went perfect.
Our room was as in the pictures, it was cleaned every day & on our wedding day they made up two swans from towels on a bed & left a bottle of wine & a card.
We spent a lot of time at the lazy river, which was great. We ate in all the restaurant's, but our favourite was the Three Palms!
We did some tours all of which were good & value for money.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Newly Weds,

The management and staff would like to congratulate you on your wedding.

We are glad that you and your family had a great time and everything was as you imagined when planning your dream day.

Again thank you for your feedback and we hope that we become your "Home away from Home" for your annual celebration.

Best regards,

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This resort is a great place if traveling with children. The pools, especially the awesome lazy river and slides, kept the kids occupied all week without any complaints of boredom. The access to basketball and the beautiful golf course kept the 12 yr old boy happy. I heard other kids and parents raving about the kids club, but our 9 yr old girl chose not to participate. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The food was mostly good at all the restaurants, but we seemed to prefer the Luna Di Mare meal the best. The Three Palms was a nice experience, and the great views from the golf course were wonderful, although my last meal there was not so great. I ordered the fish special, but it was very dry and tasteless. I do have to give huge kudos to Sylvester the omelet maker. He was phenomenal and entertaining to watch. We had fast, yummy omelets each day he was working. If you love mangoes you will be in heaven. Both the pineapple and mangoes were great. We were there during the 4th of July and had just returned from an excursion to find a huge poolside feast celebrating the holiday. The hotel went above and beyond on this theme night. Roast pig, brisket, US flag cakes, etc. That night I also got to try many unique Caribbean (Jack fruit, naseberry) fruits, some were interesting, some were great, but definitely a nice experience. I also have to give kudos to the pool bartenders, The drinks were great, and they would add more aocohol, etc. if asked. I did use the spa and wanted something different, so I got a body wrap instead of my usual massage or facial. The spa employees were friendly and accommodating, but I felt the treatment I purchased was not worth the high price. The boys spent a day on the golf course and continue to talk about their positive experience. The caddie (Brian I think) was very helpful when instructing the 12 yr old boy. His dad was so impressed he gave a large tip at the end of their round. The resort and the rooms were very clean and modern, but the rooms were rather small, especially with 4 people and 3 suitcases.We had the best view of the golf course, hillside and adult beach. My minor complaint would be not having enough lazy river floats for everyone. I would watch some people take their floats and put them by their chairs when going to lunch, etc. The staff seemed to be pretty good about telling these people not to hold on to the rafts when not using them. I will say that it seemed to be the same groups of people doing this each day. About the lazy river....it's fantastic, refreshing, fun, etc. I can't say enough good things about it, and I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw it. It gets crowded at times, and the chairs are always taken very early in the morning, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Now for my one major complaint...the beach. I hated the beach. Not only is it small, but it is murky, and it has a long row of rocks as you wade in up to your knees. You can't see them, and the waves knock you into them. You may be better off with wading shoes. We didn't return to the beach after the first day.

Room Tip: Ask for a west side room on 4th floor or above. The views are great, and there is no pool or nightti...
Dear Lovetravel,

Thank you so much for your detailed review and that you enjoyed your stay!

The water park can only hold a limited amount of tubes and it is our policy that all tubes must remain in the pool. Our natural beach is moving from East to West and back again to East depending on the time of the year. This affects our beach from time to time and we try to keep it as pristine as possible on a daily basis.

Once again, we thank you for sharing your experiences and we welcome the opportunity to have you and your family to return to our beautiful resort.

Best regards,

Lindenhurst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was my families 2nd trip, this time there were 14 of us for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary. The Place, the food the staff was amazing!!!! Big shout out too Marlene Thompson for always giving us Superb Service for Lunch with my big family.....she went out of her way to make us happy. The treament I received on my Birthday from her, was the best!!!! She was awesome!!!! I also want to give a big shout out too Kamar Kaye and Latoya Wakefield.....We met Kamar last year and my children kept in touch and he could not wait for us to come back, he greeted us on arrival, and just was amazing with my son. He is an Amazing Dancer and entertainer, the staff goes way and beyond to make your vacation special!!!! Lataoya is an Amazing Dancer and entertainer as well and superb with the children. My family wants to go back for a 3rd time. Sylvester at the omlet station was a great cook....that man can flip omlets and got breakfast for all of us and then some Superb!!!! I definately recomend this resort to couples and families, they have a private beach and adult pool and also a family beach with a water park for the kids. The kids always had a great time, especially at night in the kids club with Kamar Kaye and Latoya Wakefield, they always made our children feel comfortable.

Room Tip: Higher floor the better the view, we stayed at the partial oceanview overlooking the golf course...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RobdeBekker, Manager at Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Margaret Burns,

Thank you for your recent stay with us.
We are delighted to read the great comments about the food and especially about our staff. Our brand promise at Hilton is to ensure that every guests feels cared for, valued and respected. It is heartwarming to see that so many of our great team members succeeded in delivering this brand promise.

We truly appreciate your feedback and hope that we may welcome you and your family again next year.

Yours sincerely,

Rob de Bekker
Director of Food & Beverage
Columbus, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at this resort recently and it was our first trip to Jamaica. The pics on the site are accurate as are all the other good reviews I have read here. The staff is wonderful! Thanks go out to Mr. de Bekker for his personal assistance, Indihana for her efforts to get us reservations at all 3 restaurants and then pick which one I wanted for my birthday celebration our last night there. We also would like to thank Daveon and Kaymar for teaching us a new Jamaican card game! All the food and drink was delicious, especially the omelets and french toast at breakfast, the jerk chicken carts for lunch, and all 4 of the restaurants for dinner. The buffet had a great selection, including salads, fruits, different entrees every night, and lots of desserts to choose from. Evening entertainment was enjoyable each night, such as local singers, steel drum band, limbo dancers, and fire eaters. The vendors they allowed a few times a week were not overly pushy. I found several nicely priced things to take home to remember our week, including a carved cat and turtle, a necklace, and shirt. The lazy river was refreshing, as was the main pool by the sea. The beach was a little rocky, but we learned quickly the best places to enter the water where there was nice sand. The staff was friendly and I did not feel obligated to tip a lot, but did some. Our housekeeper always left a folded towel animal or heart on the bed each day. The room was not fancy, but nicely appointed and clean, with a very comfortable bed. For my birthday dinner at the Italian restaurant they decorated a plate with Happy BIrthday and had 3 little delicious cakes with candles on it. We would love to come back here for another special celebration! Thanks Hilton Rose Hall!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Birthday celebrant,

Congratulations once more and I am thrilled that our staff went above and beyond to make your birthday a memorable one. What a better place then to celebrate with us here in Jamaica!

Regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!