“Enjoying our stay” 4 of 5 stars

$139 (USD)
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
“Enjoying our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We are currently staying at the Hilton Rose Hall hotel. Family of 5 so we have two connecting rooms. In day 5 of the trip. Definitely a 4+ star experience.

Good: we enjoyed the buffet food and theme nights. Much better than cruises we have been on. Rooms are clean and well maintained. Lots of amenities for young and old. Grounds are very nice. Live reggae band each night plus other entertainment, definitely fun. Lazy river nice for kids. Beach is decent. Shops selling crafts on site. Never too far from food or drinks anywhere in resort. Grounds are lushly landscaped, and very nice. Nice exercise gym and some group classes with a trainer they fly in as a guest. Decent shop downstairs with lots of items and gift stuff.

Took an excursion and booked it here. Ocho Rios falls and dolphin swim. Both were great. Going on catamaran ride tomorrow.

Don't need to pack much other than bathing suit and sandals.

Staff generally friendly and helpful, though a few have seemed to have an attitude. Though tips are supposedly included, service level goes up when you tip.

Food so far has been good. Lots of options for everyones taste. Be adventurous and try the local options. Trying the nicer ones the next few days. Get your reservations the day you arrive or you will be eating at 9 each night.

Needs Work: not too much bad to say. Rooms are a bit warmer than I'd like my AC to be. Cool, just not cold. A few areas such as lazy river and paint in a few spots could use a touch up. Not enough tubes for lazy river during busiest times of day. Top shelf drinks hard to come by. Generally well brands are included. Hard to get beach towels after towel stand closes at 7, if you need them for a water excursion, get them at night before they close. Beach erosion setting in. Plenty of places to sunbathe, but grab the beach front sunny spots early in the day.

Overall very happy and will recommend to friends and family. I would give 4.5 stars if it were an option because it was 4+. To be fair that is a rating, not a star rating for quality of hotel. If someone is used to the Ritz or W, in a big city, this isn't at that level. But for an island vacation for those looking for fun and a laid back attitude, this place is excellent for that.

Room Tip: Loved the oceanfront balcony room. Worth the upgrade in my opinion.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here the beginning of may, just loved the place, can't really fault it, the only thing I would complain about would be the lack of reggae music played? You go to jamacia to listen to reggae music it's part of the culture I don't want to hear pop music or elvis Presley or Neil diamond! Come on! As for the food we couldn't have asked for better the jerk chicken was to die for" finger licking good, always something for everybody,,, and saving the best till last the staff amazing very friendly, polite, nothing was ever a problem and always done with a smile. Chris the lifeguard is an outstanding young man and a fine example and a credit to the hotel.
Will be booking again for next year and would recommend 100% book here and you won't be disappointed .

• Stayed May 2013
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

A very large hotel that felt somewhat cookie cutter, with little to distinguish it. Acceptable to stay but I would not go back. The lobby was large and cold with steel windows , leading out to a large pool area, with concrete and outdoor eating and bar area. It was not inviting during the day or at night. the rooms were standard, and mine had a balcony overlooking the pool and ocean. OK but again not anything special. Bathrooms were small and standardized. The rooms were very clean though. The outdoor areas seem jumbled, and very busy and crowded though the big pool seemed very popular with families. I only ate breakfast there and there was plenty of variety though the room was always pretty crowded
The staff was very helpful at all points and seemed to have a real service mentality, Trained well and an exceptional attitude

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
RobdeBekker, Manager at Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at our resort. We appreciate your feedback and are especially delighted that you found our staff to have a real service mentality and an exceptional attitude. We are however disappointed that we were not able to meet or exceed all of your expectations.

Please rest assured that your valuable feedback will be taken into consideration as we always strive to improve upon our product.

Thank you again for your visit and we do hope that we are afforded another opportunity to welcome you again.

Yours sincerely,

Rob de Bekker
Director of Food & Beverage
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Myself and my fiance visited the Hilton Rose Hall from May 4th - 18th. We have been on a few all inclusive holidays in the past but this has been the best by far. We are not able to complain about anything in the hotel.

We had a partial ocean view room on the 5th floor. The room was huge, with a massive, comfy bed and small but nice balcony. The bathroom consisted of toilet, sink, bath and shower over bath. I have seen reviews where people are complaining about the size of the room/bathroom - the weather is gorgeous outside, you are on holiday, the only time you are in the room is to sleep and change.

The food was fantastic. I am a fussy eater but I never had a problem finding something I liked (so much so I put in half a stone)!!! Yes there was a spell between breakfast and 10am where no bar was open for drinks. We resolved this though by bringing the water with us from the min-bar or walking back to the breakfast restaurant to get a drink. We never had an issue with queueing for breakfast. We were quite early having breakfast (about 7.30 most days so as to make the most of the weather) so maybe this is why. Fresh restaurant was available for breakfast, dinner and supper - food here was always good with a different theme each evening. Also open for lunch was Mangos and the Seaside Grill. We went to one of these most days for lunch as they are both close to the beach/pool and they are also outside. We sampled all three of the al a carte restaurants. Our favourites were the Italian and Three Palms. We never had an issue with making a reservation. We simply reserved spots at all three once we had checked in then reserved two more tables once we had dined at all three.

The staff here are all brilliant and can't do enough to help you. Nobody expects a tip, but you do get that little bit extra when you do - drinks being brought to you at your lounger etc.

The beach was great and the laxy river so much fun. We are from a coastal town in Pembrokeshire, Wales and have some of the nicest beaches in the country so of course this wasn't going to compare to any that we usually visit. It was still a great beach though and you would see staff daily in the morning clearer away all the seaweed. We never had a problem finding a lounger at the beach. The water was so nice too, always warm and so lovely to cool down in. Most of our time was spent at the beach but we did go to the lazy river most days. It was so relaxing just to be able to float around without a care in the world and then have some fun coming down the slide. We didn't have a problem finding a tube - always plenty available.

The best part of this holiday had to be my boyfriend proposing on my birthday after watching the sunset. Perfect :)

We travelled as a couple but were never bored. We didn't really watch any of the entertainment, preferring to have dinner than a drink and game of cards in bar king frog.

This is a must visit hotel, don't listen to the negative reviews. We can't wait to visit again!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wonderful hospitality, good food, fun pool with waterpark. Only drawback is the beach, but short ride into town, and if you dive/snorkel, the dive shop staff was great. Try to get a garden/partial beach view from your balcony--just lovely overlooking the palms. Don't waste time on the 3Palms restaurant, but the Seaside and Italian were both great. Breakfast buffet was also very good--great omelets and French Toast!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just returned after staying for a week (June 30 - July 7) at the Hilton Rose Hall.

We have stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach resort the last couple of times and I have to say, the Hilton was a better experience for us.

Hotel

When we walked into the lobby and checked into our room, I can tell it was a Hilton hotel as opposed to one of the brands run by a European hotel chain in the Caribbean. For one thing, the lobby and common areas are enclosed and the a/c, including in the room, was more than adequate to deal with the tropical heat and humidity. Everything was clean and tidy and the staff were very well trained in the hospitality industry. If I closed my eyes and forgot about the Jamaican accent from those of the staff, I can picture myself being anywhere in the United States. This is the level of service you can expect to receive while staying at this resort.

We were there during the 4th of July week and the place was filled to capacity, mostly Americans getting away for a shortened work week. I love my neighbours to the south, but just didn't expect so many of them. Towards the end of the week, many had left and I did notice several Brits along with a few of us Canadians, eh. I guess I was expecting a few more Europeans (Germans, French and Spaniards). Oh well, I'll catch up with the Europeans on my next trip :)

Room

We stayed in the West building and had a partial view of the sea as well as a direct view of the golf course. It was on the outside of the resort away from where the nightly entertainment takes place so the noise was a non-issue. Beds were a bit soft for my liking but the room was clean and kept that way through the daily maid service.

Staff

Amazingly friendly and goes well out of their way to make us feel welcomed and ensured our stay was a pleasant one. I would say the service we received was much better than what we received when compared to the Iberostar and the staff appeared to be a happier bunch as well. A special shout out goes to Jessica & Leasa @ the main buffet, Valeri - who cleaned our room, Sofia - Life Guard who manned the tube slide, Marleen @ Mangos and Gregory @ Luna Di Mare.

Tipping

As many people on the forum has mentioned, I'm not sure if tipping made a difference to the service we received. I say this because we received great service from everyone BEFORE we tipped. I didn't see many people tip the servers, but we always tipped a couple of dollars to the maids each day, two dollars after every meal at the buffet, and five dollars to each of the servers at the a la carte restaurants. I don't think the staff expects it, but they always say is it much appreciated it when they receive a tip.

Buffet - I found it to be small compared to the one at the Iberostar, but there was always something that I could find to eat. My usual "last resort" is to do the pasta bar when I'm at these resorts and on this trip, I only ate from the pasta bar once. There would always be a couple of "local" items during each meal (ackie+salt fish, bami, breadfruit, ox tail, jerk chicken/pork, etc) along with the usual western food items. I could not get enough of the mangoes....so sweet and delicious. My wife (left Jamaica when she was a child) was able to get the kitchen to either make her special local food items that wasn't available at the buffet or ate what the staff ate each day (yes - the staff eat the local food, not what is put out at the buffet). I only wish they had more than one Nescafe cappuccino machine as when that one was out of service, we were stuck without our fixing of fancy coffee :(

You have to get the coconuts and drink the coconut water from the fruit itself. They keep the coconuts in the fridge and the water is nice and refreshing after being in the sun for hours. My wife got to know some of the wait staff at the main buffet and they would ask the kitchen to get her a coconut.

A la carte restaurants

We tried all 3 (Seaside Grill, Three Palms, Lune Di Mare) and they were all very good. Much better than the pretend fancy restaurants you find in the Cuban or Mexican resorts. We managed to get 4 reservations and it wasn't an issue getting a seating at a reasonable time (6/6:30pm). Maybe it was the fact that I am a Hilton Honors member? Not sure.

Seaside Grill, located beside the main rectangular pool, also doubles as a place for lunch. I was surprised that they would also bring your food to you if you choose to have it at your lounger by the pool instead of getting up and sitting at the restaurant.

Mangoes - doubles as the bar at the water park. Serves basic lunch, hamburgers, nachos, chicken sandwich/salad, Jamaican meat patty. I was the only one out of 4 of us who got a bad case of stomach problems on the 4th day. Maybe it was the dressing from the salad I had. Not sure.

Water park / Pool

The water park was a great hit for us. We spent quite a few days just floating along the lazy river or down the water slides. Everything that other forum readers have mentioned about the chairs and tubes are all true. We found that if we were not there by 7:30am early in the week, it was impossible to get a chair as they would be "reserved" with other people's towels and personal belongings. At the beginning of the week, we found many of the water tubes would also be taken and kept beside people's empty chairs that had no one there for hours. This effectively took those tubes out of circulation for the rest of us to use. Finding an available tube was like finding gold dust! By the end of the week, the life guards did enforce the rules and would come by and take the tubes from empty chairs and put them into the water for people to use.

Beach

This was probably the only negative part of our trip. The beach is small, a bit rocky as you get into the water but is then sandy after that. The water is not clear like in Cuba or along the Riviera Maya in Mexico so we did not get a chance to use our snorkeling gear at all. But hey, it is still sea water and you can hear the ocean waves lapping onto the beach. That's got to count for something.

Nightly Entertainment

The entertainment is brought into the hotel every night, unlike other resorts where the crew that entertains the vacationers during the day puts on a cabaret show at night. Evening entertainment would begin at 8pm with a live band playing and a couple singing followed on some evenings with another local performer. The band, "Tropical Impulse" was amazing and would take requests from my wife to play some reggae songs that she hasn't heard in a while. The main act would then begin at 9pm and we also heard from a steel drum band, a singer who performed many recent hits. The only reservation I had was the one night where they had hermit crab racing. This was actually a local guy brought in where the guests, including many children, would bet on which colour crab would win a race to the finish line with the guy taking 40% of the wagers and the winner receiving 60% of the pot. I do not go to the horse/dog track so thought this to be a bit inappropriate given that this is a family resort with many young children involved. But to each their own as many guests were giving money to their kids to place bets.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience and we would definitely come back to this property. It was a bunch of little things that made the stay worth while.

PM me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: Pay for the partial ocean view rooms, and get a room on at least the 3rd floor as the lobby is on th...
Largo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

First of all may I say how VERY good the staff and management are at the hotel and how clean the hotel and spotless the grounds are. We were married there 10 years ago and booked a return visit for our anniversary. When we first went this was a Wyndham resort and we had an amazing time. This trip was a huge disappointment however. The standard of the hotel is far lower and i seriously think that they need to stop marketing to the UK as the price we have to be there does not match the quality of the accommodation or ambience of the resort.We upgraded to a tropical garden view which would have been okay if we werent on the 7th floor looking down on the top of the trees and our view was primarily of the road although we could see the sea. We have been to many other Caribbean islands and paid less for much more. This is at best the equivalent of 3 star Magaluf/Turkey. It is a relatively short trip from USA and should be avoided at all costs if you are looking for a holiday where you will get any kind of peace and quiet. As I said the staff are amazing it was the guests that ruined it for us. Loud, rude obnoxious families who could not go anywhere in the resort with any kind of courtesy for their fellow guest. We did not expect anyone to go around in tuxedos and ball gowns but basic requirements for hygiene were not observed as people constantly went into the buffet and Seaside grill straight out of the swimming pool and sat on the soft furnishings in wet clothes which then made it horrible for anyone sitting after them. May i please suggest the management consider putting plastic cushions out during the day and upholstered furnishings at night so that ones clothes werent ruined and the cushions did not reek of damp. We saw the staff trying to adhere to the dress code but to no avail as the clients were nasty to them when it was pointed out they were wet. The food in the buffet is very good and tasty but not always as hot as it should have been and served on cold plates and the buffet room is ugly and so much NOISE !!!!. In the fine dining rooms , Luna and at Three palms we had to put up with children playing computer games at full volume at the table and it just seemed that as a couple there was nowhere for us to go and have a meal in any kind of peace and tranquility without kids having meltdowns and people screaming and shouting at each other. The hotel is totally set up to suit the clients from USA. Entertainment, quizzes etc and I was told by some of them it was a cheap break.......certainly not so for us. We rented a cabana had had issues with the cushions there being soaking wet and the management kindly comped us one for the next day. We enjoyed having one so much we rented another couple of days at $50. We went on the Saturday to book one where Janessa was serving as she was excellent to be told the price was now $75 as the English were coming and they cant take the sun so the price goes up !!!!! Needless to say a 50% increase was a step too far and we didnt hire one for the rest of the week. The grounds are fabulous, beautifully kept, the trips are fantastic. This time we did Martha Brae, Bob Marley museum and Jutt Village which we thoroughly enjoyed. The Jamaican people are fabulous and we had a great day at Margeritaville in Montego bay. Basically as long as we were out of the hotel we had a great time. Kim-Anne, Kerrianne, Alfred, Norette, Smiley, Colin, Mark all fantastic staff and our meeting with Jaap was very useful. All great people trying hard but I am sorry for us it was a disappointment. Maybe we had expectations beyond what the hotel now offers but who knew ? We use Hilton whenever we can but it would seem we were just the wrong people in the wrong hotel. If you have family under 12 and expect a loud resort then fine. Other people told us that their teenagers were bored and I can only take their advice on that. Dont be afraid to go out of the resort. Mix with the locals. There is a fab bar/diner at the Rose Hall Shoppes. It is called the Real Jerk and tell Jesse that Jane sent you ! He is a real sweetheart. In conclusion for the amount of money it costs and the distance travelling to get there DONT expect a Caribbean paradise of tranquility. It is brash and noisy in a lovely setting. We will go back to Jamaica but not to this hotel. Just not for us now. NOT a couples hotel

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms overlooking middle. If you can upgrade to golf course view or garden or ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_Hilton_RH, Manager at Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Mrs & Mr. Heggies

It was a real pleasure meeting you and thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. It is disappointing though that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize for this and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience.

Regards,

Jaap van Dam
Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!