“Lovely setting” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Rose Hall
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Lovely setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights the end of May for a conference. Shared a room with a colleague who also travels a lot; we were given an ocean front room on the first floor. Beautiful view from the room & our patio!! We enjoyed that as much as anything else at the resort, I think. Room had 2 queen beds & was spacious. Small bathroom. Air-conditioning not able to really cool the room down for sleeping. Several staff members went out of their way to be helpful - Hyacinth and Owayne particularly - we were most impressed.
Our package price included breakfast only; the breakfast buffet is very good - lots of fresh food and the chef makes hot items to order. The outside bar (just off the lobby) was a convenient place to meet for a drink; service out there, however, was very hit or miss (mostly miss).
We didn't have a lot of free time to explore the area and there really was no place to go without engaging a driver. I thought the prices for transportation to other places were wildly high (sort of like a $35 cab ride to the airport - it's 6 miles). I was hoping to visit another resort - 8.5 miles away - $110 round trip. No thanks.
Walking on the beach is also pretty much limited to the area in front of the resort (2-3 blocks long approx). The main pool is large and had plenty of lounge chairs for the time we were there and many of the smaller children were at the water park area.
I've stayed at many Hiltons; this one is probably a good value as an all-inclusive for a family; it's a little worn feeling around the edges; the lobby area and front entry and grounds, of course, are very nice looking. If I were returning on a personal visit, I'd probably try a different place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

3,025 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Indonesian first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just got back from a wonderful vacation at the Hilton Rose Hall Resort in Montego Bay Jamaica.
The resort is beautiful. The rooms were clean and beds were very comfortable. Please do not listen to negative reviews; this resort is great, especially if travelling with kids.
Our check-in was very smooth and thanks to Rochelle for accommodating us!
The buffet restaurant has plenty of food to choose from and was very good.
The two “a la carte” we tried were the Seaside Grill and the Luna Di Mare and they were both excellent.
The service within the restaurants and outside was excellent. The staff on this resort are friendly and hard working. They will go out of their way for you to enjoy your vacation.
Thank you to Casey, Garth, Fiona and Mariam, just to name a few. And a thanks to Michael and Rob for checking up on us on how we were doing. It’s wonderful that management take the time to talk to their guests and hear what they have to say.
The pools were wonderful. Our kids especially enjoyed hours of play on the waterslides and lazy river. A special mention to Dave and Sophia who were excellent lifeguards by the slides.
Lots of activities during the day; the kids were never bored.
The kids club is one of the best ones that we have been to! The women in the kids club are caring, friendly and very genuine. They kept our kids entertained and wanting to go back each day. Thank you to Judith, Jean & Melaine!
The nightly shows, music and dancing was very entertaining.
We miss Hilton Rose already and will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: The resort is small enough that any location of room would be great. We were on the 7th floor, room...
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Rose Hall the Second week of June 2013. On arrival it was fast the checking. People are very friendly and they are good with the kids super nice water park for kids also for us too.My son loved it so much he wants to go back!!!!:) The buffet is excellent food is great also great service. You have to try the Italian resto its delicious. My favorite waitress is Melrose she is so nice we miss you!!!.One good thing about this hotel people that have food allergies they take good care of you so don't worry I had the gluten allergy and everything wentwell. The beach was very nice had lots of fun we enjoyed our stay I will recommend this hotel.I stayed on the 6th floor partial ocean view golf side beautiful view.

Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Returned to the Hilton for a 10 night anniversary surprise for my spouse. Vacationing during June was much busier than our last stay in September, although it was more crowded; we actually liked having more activities during the busy season. We checked in at the Hilton Honors desk and really did not get any extra for being a Diamond member. Hotel was close to 100% capacity; we were still able to get reservations at every restaurant, although you had to be willing to eat at some nontraditional times. We really did not have a bad meal and the service was top notch, although Fresh was a little slow at times. We had a special dinner on the beach one night and the food/service was exceptional. Upon check-in our room was not ready and we used the fitness center to change clothes and enjoy the water until the room was ready. My only complaints (very small) were the bad smell in the hallway (fourth floor) that lasted several days and the rudeness of one employee at the towel hut. We also enjoyed participating in the daily activities and contests. Although this is not a 5 star resort, it does provide a very relaxing upscale experience at a reasonable cost. I read some poor reviews on occasion and sometimes wonder if anything can make some people happy. I read one recently that complained on not having top shelf liquor. If this is an issue; you can purchase better brands in the gift shop. I’m still somewhat confused on the tipping; I tipped and many did not. I saw no difference in service. Last thing to mention is the chair game played by numerous visitors, I just cannot understand why people reserve chairs early morning and don’t use them. All in all, a great stay and will return

Room Tip: West side facing golf course
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Rose Hall from June 11th -18th, 2013, 2 adults 2 kids. Overall, a very good value.. Chose it after much research because of the attractive price.
Best Parts: Super good for the kids, waterpark, slides, and a lazy river. A small all inclusive, so easy with the children and you knew where they were (8 and 9 Years old).. Swim up bar right by the waterpark. NIce! Some of the staff were extra friendly, especially if you were tipping them.
Best Steel Drum Band Ever. Period. The Silver Birds Steele Orchestra!! I will travel to see them specifically again!
UPGRADE the room. I insisted after being shown to a room that overlooked a roof, and we paid an extra $20 a night and got the best room in the place. There are 5 bottom floor patio rooms that spill right out to the ocean and in the middle of the pools/restaurants, private back entry.. Easy access.. Felt like King and Queen for the week. Made the trip!!
Dunns River Falls ~ Beautiful but stressful.. We went with JTL tours, and they are definitely keeping you away from the locals for SOME reason.. The high pressure shakedown for the tips got to me, and ruined my tipping inclination for the rest of the week.
Eating at the hotel can be a challenge and this was a negative. The breakfast buffet line was annoying as it is the only place to go, and you are made to feel as if you can't take the food away and must sit there, (and tip of course). No room service = bad.. There's a time period between breakfast and lunch where you are at the pool and thirsty, and the 2 outdoor bars/restaurants aren't open, so you feel like you are scavenging for something until 11:30. Then there are times when you feel like you are troubling the staff to get you lunch or drinks. (But not if you have $ in your hand.) This shouldn't be at an all-inclusive.
Beach is murky, but still caribbean blue in the distance. Restaurants get repetitive after 5 days, feels like a small cruise ship.
Way overpriced in the spa, with built in tips and fees they don't disclose until you are signing for it.. Wi fi should be included in the room, and not an extra $12 a day! We all use it, Right?
Well kept and cleaned daily, had no theft problem so those are plusses. Overall very fun, but I would either fix the food issues or might try a larger all inclusive possibly in Negril next time.
Go and have a good time, but be prepared to pay for the extras that make it fun, and to ensure a good time, bring a LOT of tip money!

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from the 2nd of June to the 16th June 2013.
On arrival check in was quick and easy and we were greeted with a refreshing rum punch. After dropping our luggage in our room we decided to make a stop at King Bar Frog, this is the main bar at the hotel and is located on the terrace area over looking the pool. I was sitting alone waiting for my husband and was greeted by a lovely woman name DONNA who works most nights at the bar or downstairs at the fresh entertainment stage. Over our two weeks stay we got to know Donna and have to say she is fantastic!! Amazing at her job and her customer service skills are second to none! She knows her job inside out and has a great sense of humour. Also we got to know Kim-Ann and Kinesha who were equally fantastic. The girls were always interested in what we had done with our day and always stayed with us for a chat!! We miss Donna, Kim-Ann and Kinesha already!!!!

Our first impressions of the food were very good, we ate at the fresh restaurant, we made reservations for the other restaurants for the duration of our stay and they were all fantastic, and once again more fantastic waiters and waitresses, from Smiley at the Three Palms, and a big thanks to Teyonnie Paul who works at the seaside grill and jerkmo cart! He also works the pool through the day and is always smiling and asking about our day (if you make reservations for the Seaside Grill be sure to ask for Teyonnie as your waiter), he is exceptionally good at his job and make you feel special!

Drinks are very tasty and strong!! I found this out on a few occasions ;).

The beach is nice and clean, water is warm and shallow, maybe too shallow to swim but still very pretty, we didn't use the water park or lazy river too much as we preferred the deeper pool.

Now to the excursions out of the hotel, I do advise when visiting Jamaica to get out of the resort and sample some of the real Jamaica, we went to Negril which included a trip to Seven Mile beach (look out for aunties jerk shack) real authentic Jamaican food at a good price!! We then went on to Ricks Café which was a great experience to watch the cliff divers. I would also highly recommend a night trip the The great Rose Hall Plantation house which has a violent and sad history and is a must to visit.

We also went to the Martha Brae river which was out of this world! Ask for Capt Delroy (buy him a few red stripes and he will sing some songs) a great guy with a rich knowledge of the area he works, all in all a wonderful experience. Nine mile was a wonderful experience for me as I am a huge fan of bob and the drive up into the hills is well worth the trip! We also used juta tours for a few trips out to some local restaurants, I would highly recommend asking for Gilbert at the Juta desk in the outdoor lobby of the hotel. Dunns River is also a beautiful natural wonder and is a must see while in Jamaica!

Now back to the hotel! Everything is so clean and nice and every member of staff is fantastic at all levels, 'Nuff Respect' to Omar who we spoke to daily and was such a great person!
We didn't spend a great deal of time watching the entertainment, but on the few occasions we did it was fantastic, my favourite was artistry in motion, they put on a great show.

This hotel has sooo much to offer and in my eyes can't be faulted, but the island of Jamaica has so much more to offer so take my advice and get out there and experience the real Jamaica! It has a heartbeat that cannot be compared to anywhere else and some of the nicest people in the world.
We chatted with the resident reggae band who play around the Bar King Frog, they come and sit with the visitors and sing and play reggae and are really funny! Bobby, Kenneth and Dean are all cool and I hope to be back to sing with them again!

Now, back to Donna at King Frog, if anyone wants to take home some real Jamaican spices and pickled pepper then see Donna right away!! She can get them for a good price and it is the real deal! Also get to know the staff and they will look after you in a way I have not experienced at any hotel.
On our last day we got to speak to the director of food and beverages, Rob De Bekker. Rob is an extremely nice man who asked us how our stay was and if there was anything we would like to be improved at the hotel, my answer was a massive NO. For myself and my husband nothing could be faulted. All the staff at the Hilton Rose Hall are very proud of their job and to be working at a great hotel. I have returned home rich with memories and have made some lovely friends!

I will return one day and as Bob Marley sang 'mingle with the good people we meet'

One Love Rainbow Country, until we meet again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Apollo Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I attended a wedding at the resort over the weekend and stayed from Friday until Sunday. We found the staff to be friendly and willing to spend time to talk about Jamaica and the resort. The food was average, but we found the jerk chicken at the Seaside Grill to be excellent. They only had two kinds of beer. If you like mixed drinks they have a good variety, especially the Bob Marley.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!