“Resort to consider in Montego Bay, Jamaica.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$139 (USD)
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Rose Hall
Madison, Wisconsin
“Resort to consider in Montego Bay, Jamaica.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We just returned from a 7 night stay at this resort in Montego Bay for our delayed honeymoon and vacation getaway. Every aspect of the stay was great. The resort was clean and well kept. The beach, pool, and waterpark were all top notch. Every staff member that we came in contact with were more than friendly and willing to go out of their way for you. The receptionists at check in were friendly and helpful. The wait staff were attentive. The bartenders made fantastic drinks, the beach waiters were great to chit chat with, and the housekeeping staff did a great job. Edith Gray did a great job keeping our room clean, not being intrusive, and taking the time to chat with us when we would see her in the hallway. We were sure to tip her, and everyone else that went out of their way for us, and we could tell it was appreciated. (If this makes it to Edith, tell her thank you from her friends in 365! :) ). Being Hilton Honors members, we were even invited to a "Loyalty event" where we enjoyed great appetizers, Hors doeuvres and drinks. What was surprising though, is that Ron Day (General Mgr), Jaap (Hotel Manager) and the other managers (Food & Bev, Housekeeping, etc) all made it a point to introduce themselves to us, talk about our stay, and unrelated, which was a nice touch. There were a lot of families on the resort, but we found plenty to do as a couple as well, including an adults-only section of beach, the nightclub, and a couple of tours that we booked at the lobby to go to Negril (Rick's Cafe), and a shopping excursion. All tours were fun, professionally staffed, and timely. We would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great time in Jamaica. We ate like kings, whenever we wanted, and every meal that we had was quality. This includes the Fresh restaurant (Buffet) where we at most of our meals because of the convenient hours, but also Luna De Mare (Italian restaurant), and the Three Palms. I recommend making reservations at the last 2 as soon as you can. We're definitely open to another trip to Jamaica, and if we stay in Montego Bay again, the Hilton Rose Hall will be at the top of our list. Thank you to all of the staff for a great week stay!

Room Tip: We got lucky and ended up with a room overlooking the courtyard area. I believe it was considered a...

3,383 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,016)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a four day trip to this resort, it was a mini trip baby free to recharge and relax a little. We're already planning to return as soon as possible with our son, we enjoyed it so much! We travel all over the Caribbean and Jamaica and this is one of our new favorite spots. The only thing I wish I could change was the beach (not our ideal - small and a good bit of seaweed). However, it didn't matter the resort amenities, pool/waterpark, food options and impeccable service more than made up for it! This was some of the best service we have ever received at a resort or hotel. The food was an 8.5 out of 10, which is more than impressive for an all inclusive. Everything is laid out conveniently and we had a blast relaxing, sunning and eating ourselves a few pounds larger :). A few tips if you're going - many families but if you stick to the waterpark side that will cater to you if you're there with your kids, if not then sticking to the main pool and golf course beach side are fine and relatively low on kids around. Got a massage from the spa, pricier than at home, but was really great! Get your chairs and towels early, they're taken up quickly. They have cabanas there that we got because it was $50 a day and totally worth it to us for the convenience, guaranteed chairs, optional shade and always someone personally bringing you drinks and food all day. Book reservations for three main restaurants ASAP when arriving. Three Palms is the nicest, others were great. Seaside grill had the best overall meals. We ate lunch there everyday (local dishes) and dinner one night, all excellent! Buffet was HUGE and had a ton of variety, always awesome at breakfast! If you're Hilton Honors, they DO recognize you (not sure why other reviews here said they don't). Their HH desk is on the left when you come in. We were there using my husbands points (he travels and always uses Hilton). We got an upgraded room, late checkout, free wifi in our room, 15% off spa treatment and cabana, were invited to a HH reception. All because we were HH and told them :). Trust me, they cater to you! We took Raggae Tours for our transfer, just book on their website ($60) for personal round trip, they were at our pickups on time, very nice. Only suggestions to the hotel are to get more pool towels, have some all inclusive room service options (room service was available but all at a charge). Overall, this was a fantastic resort with options for everyone. Can't wait to return with our son once he's a little older and able to enjoy all the fun in the sun!

• Stayed February 2013
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

It is difficult picking a vacation due to the varying reviews. This Hotel exceeded all my expectations. We travel regularly and have been to many hotels but this was one if the best.
The location is ideal and the staff incredibly well trained. They engage you,learn your name and are very attentive. I believe that their positive attitude raises this Hotel above many others.
On our arrival we found our room would not be ready until 4pm. First important tip.. Treat this as an opportunity and not a problem. Make sure you have your beach stuff accessible, check your bags to the porters and go downstairs to the fitness room locker rooms and change and start your vacation immediately. We had lunch and then went to the beach. My son, he is 10, went to the water park and we made the most of our arrival. We phoned about our room from the nearby restaurant and went to pick up the key pass just after 4pm. ( just an aside) this Hotel is totally secure. My wife is always concerned about what my son is doing and that he is safe. He played everyday with friends he met. He hung out around the pool where there were many staff on duty. He went with his friends to get drinks and food and we pretty much only saw him 2/3 times during the day just for him to check in with us. It was a great relaxing vacation for us as well knowing he was in a safe secure environment with many staff about keeping an eye on the kids.
Food: 3 bookable restaurants an Italian; Seaside grill and Three Palms( the premier one) Make your bookings when you arrive but be aware they do get cancellations and therefore there can be slots on other evenings. The buffet is called Fresh for a reason. There are many areas where food is cooked fresh for you at breakfast/ lunch/ dinner.
I especially liked the stir fry station! Try it
I am sure you will like it!
I want to mention a few names of the staff;
Denny in the Fresh restaurant with his politeness and incredible memory for names.
Portia at reception, polite courteous and extremely efficient.
Aston : great waiter and great smile

Jaap Van Dam; The manager of this Hotel is extremely hands on,I witnessed him interacting with his staff and even picking up litter while he was walking around. This Hotel was at 100% capacity but functioned perfectly.

A few tips: there is free wi fi near reception
Get your towels and find a spot you would like to sit however if you just ask the lifeguards they will willingly find chairs and place them for you.
Avoid the elevators around 5 pm as most people head for their rooms at this time
Shower either before 5 or after 6:30 and you will be assured very hot water.
If you have young children go for rooms that are on the outside of the buildings overlooking the golf course or the water park these rooms are quieter in the evening.
Relax and enjoy this great Hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Sharpsburg, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay. Booked thru a USAA travel site that had a 40% off special last month. So ended up paying $235 night for wife, 9 yr old daughter and myself. I called a few days prior to arrival to confirm that they had our res and give them our hilton Diamond #. Made some reservations for three palms and the Luna Di Mare. I suggest calling earlier as we could only get a 830p slot for Luna Di Mare.

Arrived at the airport approx 3pm, took $35 taxi to hotel. We were greeted and lead to the HH check in on the left. Check in staff was very professional. Did not ask if we were being upgraded, but felt good about it when the bellman led us to what seemed to be the beach view side of the hotel. My wife and I smiled when we arrived at the double doors of room 701.

Prime Minister suite: The bellman told us this is the largest room on the property. The 2 room suite encompasses 5 balconies and 2200 sq-ft. One side has multi chairs, couches and a dining room table. Separate "kitchen" with sink and larger fridge w plenty of cabinet space. No stove/oven/microwave. Half-bath over on this side as well.

On the way to the separate bedroom side their is another half bath. The master suite has a king bed with a few couches and chairs. Very nice master both with a large free standing tub and open walk in shower. Large walk in closet too.

Food and service was best (for me) at Luna Di Mare. Gregory was our server and did a great job, when I could not decide between the special of red snapper or salmon he brought both. An excellent choice, but the slight edge to the snapper. Wife had pork medallion that was just so-so.

Three Palms seemed ok, nothing special but better then the buffet at Fresh.

Fresh Buffet was ok for the most part. Good breakfast especially the omelet station. On some days we had excellent service for drinks and one day we did not.

Pool- You need to be down by 7am at the latest to play the put my towels and other personal items down on the chairs. Another couple we meet had a family of 5 and someone took their chairs and claimed you can only hold a pool chair for 30 mins. IMO avoid this madness and rent a cabana for only $50/day which is a bargain. You have to rent them from the Spa which does not open till 9am. If they claim they are all out, put your name on the wait list. If needed ask the concierge at the HH desk to double check as they can work that magic. Bar service is till 4p, so after that you are on your own from the Cabana. Cabanas 1-7 are at the pool, 8-13 at the lazy river/kids pool area and they also have a few right on the beach. Diamond and maybe gold gets 15% off cabanas. Our daughter did love the slides, lazy river and the kids club. If your kids make one of the palm leave hats, customs (at least here in Atlanta) wont let you bring it into the US as they contain some kind of red bugs. :(

Free wi-fi in room and the internet cafe area for diamond and gold, good for 4 devices per room.

We never felt unsafe and over 90% of the staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have been on 15 out of country vacations through the years always on Valentine's week. This was our 1st trip to Jamaica. We will definitely go back. The staff in this hotel were excellent, so friendly and spoke perfect English. The hotel was very clean but small. I read that the lazy river & water slides did attract more families. It did surprise me that the swim up bar was in the lazy river where all the kids were. There were a lot of children. We stayed at the main pool most of the time. There was very little beach and always crowded. The FRESH buffet was also small, but there was always something to choose from. The Italian restarant Luna was pretty, food good but the worst service of the whole trip. The Three Palms, which was located at the golf course, was really super. It was still on the grounds but you had to take a shuttle to it, so we felt that we were going out to dinner. The inside was very elegant, service excellent, food good. The braised beef short ribs were so good. We did eat outside at this restaurant, but there were to many stray cats. Seems to be a problem in all these resorts.

The bed was so comfortable, pillow top mattress. The sheets & spread were all white. Very clean, also small.

The golf course was very nice and on the grounds. There was also a free shuttle to the Rose Hall shops. That was fun for a beak from the sun.

The nightly entertainment was good. But there was no music around the pool. Music entertains people.

Room Tip: WE had the golf course, partial ocean view room, great view.
Peachtree City, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have to preface this review by stating that my husband and I are a very particular about our hotels, and ended up booking this the Hilton as a last minute vacation; this was also our first all-inclusive hotel. My husband, 2 year old and I spent a few days here. Our room wasn't available on arrival, but they managed to get us in our room about an hour after we arrived. The grounds were nice and I have to admit the lazy river and slides were a big hit with the entire family. The beach was larger than we expected and we never had an issue getting chairs at either the pool or beach, since we were fine being at the end of the pool and on the outskirts of the beach. Unfortunately, the food in our opinion was not good. Our son who usually loves breakfast didn't eat anything from the resort the entire time we were there. Thankfully we had packed a good number of snacks that he was able to eat, but other than that none of us really ate much. We had one decent meal at the Italian restaurant, but other than that I can not say the food was good. The rooms were not bad, but I think it depends on which room you get. We initially had an ocean front room on the 1st floor, which we enjoyed and had an updated bathroom, but after a few days the ceiling caved in from an AC leak and we were moved to an ocean front room on the third floor which was a lot more dated than our initial room; the bathroom was in pretty bad shape (yellowed tub and shower curtain w/ some mold around it). Speaking of baths, we had major issues with hot water, be prepared to take freezing cold showers in the afternoon after returning from the pool, but you can get hot water in the morning.

Overall I don't think my family and I would be returning here. If you don't mind a large crowd and are not picky about food you may enjoy it here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a standing shower and not a tub, the rooms with a shower have an updated bathroo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Warwick, Rhode Island, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

As a last minute vacation getaway, my girlfriend and I had very few choices to make. This resort was was acceptable according to the reviews. The resort is clean, food and drinks are good.The staff are very polite, courteous, and helpful. The negative parts are: the beach is very, very small, suited for adults with children, the two main restaurants had to be reserved a day or two before, and it seems very crowded when the entire hotel is booked...

Room Tip: A room by the pool will be noisy until 11 pm because of live entertainment.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!