“Fantastic Mini Trip for Mom and Dad!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$149 (USD)
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Rose Hall
South Carolina
“Fantastic Mini Trip for Mom and Dad!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a four day trip to this resort, it was a mini trip baby free to recharge and relax a little. We're already planning to return as soon as possible with our son, we enjoyed it so much! We travel all over the Caribbean and Jamaica and this is one of our new favorite spots. The only thing I wish I could change was the beach (not our ideal - small and a good bit of seaweed). However, it didn't matter the resort amenities, pool/waterpark, food options and impeccable service more than made up for it! This was some of the best service we have ever received at a resort or hotel. The food was an 8.5 out of 10, which is more than impressive for an all inclusive. Everything is laid out conveniently and we had a blast relaxing, sunning and eating ourselves a few pounds larger :). A few tips if you're going - many families but if you stick to the waterpark side that will cater to you if you're there with your kids, if not then sticking to the main pool and golf course beach side are fine and relatively low on kids around. Got a massage from the spa, pricier than at home, but was really great! Get your chairs and towels early, they're taken up quickly. They have cabanas there that we got because it was $50 a day and totally worth it to us for the convenience, guaranteed chairs, optional shade and always someone personally bringing you drinks and food all day. Book reservations for three main restaurants ASAP when arriving. Three Palms is the nicest, others were great. Seaside grill had the best overall meals. We ate lunch there everyday (local dishes) and dinner one night, all excellent! Buffet was HUGE and had a ton of variety, always awesome at breakfast! If you're Hilton Honors, they DO recognize you (not sure why other reviews here said they don't). Their HH desk is on the left when you come in. We were there using my husbands points (he travels and always uses Hilton). We got an upgraded room, late checkout, free wifi in our room, 15% off spa treatment and cabana, were invited to a HH reception. All because we were HH and told them :). Trust me, they cater to you! We took Raggae Tours for our transfer, just book on their website ($60) for personal round trip, they were at our pickups on time, very nice. Only suggestions to the hotel are to get more pool towels, have some all inclusive room service options (room service was available but all at a charge). Overall, this was a fantastic resort with options for everyone. Can't wait to return with our son once he's a little older and able to enjoy all the fun in the sun!

• Stayed February 2013

3,022 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Indonesian first
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

It is difficult picking a vacation due to the varying reviews. This Hotel exceeded all my expectations. We travel regularly and have been to many hotels but this was one if the best.
The location is ideal and the staff incredibly well trained. They engage you,learn your name and are very attentive. I believe that their positive attitude raises this Hotel above many others.
On our arrival we found our room would not be ready until 4pm. First important tip.. Treat this as an opportunity and not a problem. Make sure you have your beach stuff accessible, check your bags to the porters and go downstairs to the fitness room locker rooms and change and start your vacation immediately. We had lunch and then went to the beach. My son, he is 10, went to the water park and we made the most of our arrival. We phoned about our room from the nearby restaurant and went to pick up the key pass just after 4pm. ( just an aside) this Hotel is totally secure. My wife is always concerned about what my son is doing and that he is safe. He played everyday with friends he met. He hung out around the pool where there were many staff on duty. He went with his friends to get drinks and food and we pretty much only saw him 2/3 times during the day just for him to check in with us. It was a great relaxing vacation for us as well knowing he was in a safe secure environment with many staff about keeping an eye on the kids.
Food: 3 bookable restaurants an Italian; Seaside grill and Three Palms( the premier one) Make your bookings when you arrive but be aware they do get cancellations and therefore there can be slots on other evenings. The buffet is called Fresh for a reason. There are many areas where food is cooked fresh for you at breakfast/ lunch/ dinner.
I especially liked the stir fry station! Try it
I am sure you will like it!
I want to mention a few names of the staff;
Denny in the Fresh restaurant with his politeness and incredible memory for names.
Portia at reception, polite courteous and extremely efficient.
Aston : great waiter and great smile

Jaap Van Dam; The manager of this Hotel is extremely hands on,I witnessed him interacting with his staff and even picking up litter while he was walking around. This Hotel was at 100% capacity but functioned perfectly.

A few tips: there is free wi fi near reception
Get your towels and find a spot you would like to sit however if you just ask the lifeguards they will willingly find chairs and place them for you.
Avoid the elevators around 5 pm as most people head for their rooms at this time
Shower either before 5 or after 6:30 and you will be assured very hot water.
If you have young children go for rooms that are on the outside of the buildings overlooking the golf course or the water park these rooms are quieter in the evening.
Relax and enjoy this great Hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Sharpsburg, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay. Booked thru a USAA travel site that had a 40% off special last month. So ended up paying $235 night for wife, 9 yr old daughter and myself. I called a few days prior to arrival to confirm that they had our res and give them our hilton Diamond #. Made some reservations for three palms and the Luna Di Mare. I suggest calling earlier as we could only get a 830p slot for Luna Di Mare.

Arrived at the airport approx 3pm, took $35 taxi to hotel. We were greeted and lead to the HH check in on the left. Check in staff was very professional. Did not ask if we were being upgraded, but felt good about it when the bellman led us to what seemed to be the beach view side of the hotel. My wife and I smiled when we arrived at the double doors of room 701.

Prime Minister suite: The bellman told us this is the largest room on the property. The 2 room suite encompasses 5 balconies and 2200 sq-ft. One side has multi chairs, couches and a dining room table. Separate "kitchen" with sink and larger fridge w plenty of cabinet space. No stove/oven/microwave. Half-bath over on this side as well.

On the way to the separate bedroom side their is another half bath. The master suite has a king bed with a few couches and chairs. Very nice master both with a large free standing tub and open walk in shower. Large walk in closet too.

Food and service was best (for me) at Luna Di Mare. Gregory was our server and did a great job, when I could not decide between the special of red snapper or salmon he brought both. An excellent choice, but the slight edge to the snapper. Wife had pork medallion that was just so-so.

Three Palms seemed ok, nothing special but better then the buffet at Fresh.

Fresh Buffet was ok for the most part. Good breakfast especially the omelet station. On some days we had excellent service for drinks and one day we did not.

Pool- You need to be down by 7am at the latest to play the put my towels and other personal items down on the chairs. Another couple we meet had a family of 5 and someone took their chairs and claimed you can only hold a pool chair for 30 mins. IMO avoid this madness and rent a cabana for only $50/day which is a bargain. You have to rent them from the Spa which does not open till 9am. If they claim they are all out, put your name on the wait list. If needed ask the concierge at the HH desk to double check as they can work that magic. Bar service is till 4p, so after that you are on your own from the Cabana. Cabanas 1-7 are at the pool, 8-13 at the lazy river/kids pool area and they also have a few right on the beach. Diamond and maybe gold gets 15% off cabanas. Our daughter did love the slides, lazy river and the kids club. If your kids make one of the palm leave hats, customs (at least here in Atlanta) wont let you bring it into the US as they contain some kind of red bugs. :(

Free wi-fi in room and the internet cafe area for diamond and gold, good for 4 devices per room.

We never felt unsafe and over 90% of the staff was very helpful and friendly.

Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have been on 15 out of country vacations through the years always on Valentine's week. This was our 1st trip to Jamaica. We will definitely go back. The staff in this hotel were excellent, so friendly and spoke perfect English. The hotel was very clean but small. I read that the lazy river & water slides did attract more families. It did surprise me that the swim up bar was in the lazy river where all the kids were. There were a lot of children. We stayed at the main pool most of the time. There was very little beach and always crowded. The FRESH buffet was also small, but there was always something to choose from. The Italian restarant Luna was pretty, food good but the worst service of the whole trip. The Three Palms, which was located at the golf course, was really super. It was still on the grounds but you had to take a shuttle to it, so we felt that we were going out to dinner. The inside was very elegant, service excellent, food good. The braised beef short ribs were so good. We did eat outside at this restaurant, but there were to many stray cats. Seems to be a problem in all these resorts.

The bed was so comfortable, pillow top mattress. The sheets & spread were all white. Very clean, also small.

The golf course was very nice and on the grounds. There was also a free shuttle to the Rose Hall shops. That was fun for a beak from the sun.

The nightly entertainment was good. But there was no music around the pool. Music entertains people.

Room Tip: WE had the golf course, partial ocean view room, great view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Peachtree City, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have to preface this review by stating that my husband and I are a very particular about our hotels, and ended up booking this the Hilton as a last minute vacation; this was also our first all-inclusive hotel. My husband, 2 year old and I spent a few days here. Our room wasn't available on arrival, but they managed to get us in our room about an hour after we arrived. The grounds were nice and I have to admit the lazy river and slides were a big hit with the entire family. The beach was larger than we expected and we never had an issue getting chairs at either the pool or beach, since we were fine being at the end of the pool and on the outskirts of the beach. Unfortunately, the food in our opinion was not good. Our son who usually loves breakfast didn't eat anything from the resort the entire time we were there. Thankfully we had packed a good number of snacks that he was able to eat, but other than that none of us really ate much. We had one decent meal at the Italian restaurant, but other than that I can not say the food was good. The rooms were not bad, but I think it depends on which room you get. We initially had an ocean front room on the 1st floor, which we enjoyed and had an updated bathroom, but after a few days the ceiling caved in from an AC leak and we were moved to an ocean front room on the third floor which was a lot more dated than our initial room; the bathroom was in pretty bad shape (yellowed tub and shower curtain w/ some mold around it). Speaking of baths, we had major issues with hot water, be prepared to take freezing cold showers in the afternoon after returning from the pool, but you can get hot water in the morning.

Overall I don't think my family and I would be returning here. If you don't mind a large crowd and are not picky about food you may enjoy it here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a standing shower and not a tub, the rooms with a shower have an updated bathroo...
Warwick, Rhode Island, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

As a last minute vacation getaway, my girlfriend and I had very few choices to make. This resort was was acceptable according to the reviews. The resort is clean, food and drinks are good.The staff are very polite, courteous, and helpful. The negative parts are: the beach is very, very small, suited for adults with children, the two main restaurants had to be reserved a day or two before, and it seems very crowded when the entire hotel is booked...

Room Tip: A room by the pool will be noisy until 11 pm because of live entertainment.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I just returned from 5 nights at the Hilton Rose Hall. Bottom Line up front: Would I reccomend the Hotel to a friend....Yes. But there would be a couple of things I would let them know first just so the expectations are consistant with the result.

I booked my trip a month out through Expedia. This it turned out was a major fiasco. Someone; either Expedia or the Hilton rep to Expedia posted the wrong price for the Resort on the resort. Normaly the Rose Hall charges $70/per night/per chilld AT THE RESORT and not at the time of booking. Be sure to read the fine print!! I knew this to be the case but one day they posted a "Winter Warm Up" special for an additional $35/night for the same class room. I called the Hotel directly to ask them what this was about and the front desk worker explained it was a discount of the 70/per child/ per night rate. Happy with the answer I booked the room with the additional cost only to find that my confirmation stated that I would still be charged for the children at check-in. Luckily for me I took a screen shot of the offer. Initially both Hilton and Expedia refused to honor the offer I made and after several long calls I was able to resolve the problem through the Hotels manager Mr Jaap Van Dam. The customer service with Hilton up till Mr Van Dam was horrible. It was like they just didnt care that I was getting screwed for paying an additional $35 per person per night on top of the 70/per child they were going to charge me at checkin. I was about ready to cancel the trip until Mr. Van Dam stepped in and made things right.

The Hotel itself is very nice but the rooms are a little tired. I would rate the overall property a 3.5 star facility that has obviousley seen a lot of action over the years.

The lobby is nice with modern furnishing that overlook the large pool. There is an outdoor Lobby Bar called the Bar King Frog. It has 4 flat screens set mostly to ESPN and is a nice place to grab a drink before dinner. In the evening they had a good reggae foursome that played covers with their unique twist. I thought they were awesome and definatley gave the hotel the caribeean vibe. I would have bought their CD but I was like "hey mon who owns cd players anymore?"

One level below the lobby is the buffet restaraunt "fresh" and the Italian restaraunt "Luna Di Mare".

Fresh serves a solid breakfest and a very good dinner. I am a bit of a food snob and I had never been to an all-inclusive before. As such I was skeptical about the food quality but for the most part I was pleasently surprised at how good the meals tended to be.

The other three restraunts Seaside, Mangoes, Three Palms, and Luna Di Mare were all good as well. The food all tends to be the same with slight variations dependent on the restraunt. In fact the only major difference is the environment. The Buffet is busy and loud. These other restraunants just give you more of a feeling of going out to dinner and being served. Make your reservations for the week the moment you arrive. They book up fast and youll be ending up eating at ten if you wait to long.

The Hotel Has two pools. The main pool and then the water park. We stayed her for the Water park which had a really nice impressive slide and an "ok" lazy river and a neat swim up bar. The kids loved it and there were lots of familys around. It is annoying but you have to get up early and bring towels down to the pool if you want a decent spot. Most lounge chairs are snagged by 8am and the private cabanas didnt seem worth the $50/day as they were in the shade and far from the bar and restrooms. The main pool is more quiet. Both pools offer poolside service and a decent lunch to snack on.

The Beach was ok. As other reviews have pointed out it is a little smalland can be a bit rocky but since our family prefers swim up bar to beach that was not a big issue for us.

The room was a bit dated. It was very clean and the bed and beddings were very nice but the hotel could use a bit of updating. Things like paint peeling, rust, and older furnishings might bother some people but we spent liitle time in the room anyway. Our biggest complaint was the water temperture. We really never had a "hot" shower whlie we were there. At most water was slightly warmer than room temp.

The hotel has an internet cafe on the second floor and a business center on the first. Wifi is spotty on the property and if you require it, as do i, for work this is a major inconvience. It seems a easy and minor fix to make sure the whole property is connected and charging $12 bucks a days is unreasonable; but you can get coverage for free in the internet cafe.

The bars on property were great and as long as you drank the house liquor they pretty much made you whatever you wanted. The beer on tap was Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light. They has some Miller Lite for sale in the sundry shop.

The hotel also had an excellent fitness facility. It was faily large with 5 treadmills, 4 bikes, free weights and several machines.

Overall all the hotel is a solid choice for people who have expiernce travelling outside of the United States. I would definatley not go here if you are single or looking to tear it up spring break style. This is a family resort and was overrun with tiny kids and young familys the week we were there. But if your looking for a nice fun place for the family where it would be difficult for your kids to get to far away from you than this is a very very good choice. Hilton is doing a good job at trying to keep this older property nice. It just is what it is...an older hotel with some limited food options but a very good value for an affordable family getaway.

Our cost with flights was right at $4200 USD for 5 nights. For that price I felt we had a terrific value for the food, drink and water park all located in the beautiful island of Jamaica. I spent an additional 300 for tips, souveneirs, and the airport transfer through reggae tours. If I could score that deal again I would book this hotel again in heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!