“fabulous resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
Flemington, New Jersey
“fabulous resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I loved this resort as there were so many good things about it. There were a few negatives which I will explain, but all in all I would DEFINITELY recommend it. The resort itself was very pretty, especially the pool area where the water slides and lazy river was. The food was delicious and the staff super, super, super friendly. The rooms were spacious and our balcony was used just about every morning and night. The beds were most comfortable, too. I most certainly would go back in a heartbeat. That being said, the negatives are as follows: While the beach itself was lovely and the water nice and calm (and warm), the water was VERY cloudy. When I go to the Caribbean I like to be up to my neck in water and be able to see my toes, but here you couldn't see them when the water was knee high. Also, I thought it was odd w/ all-inclusive that beer and wine wasn't stocked in the hotel room refrigerator - just water and soda. Extra $ is you wanted that added. Lastly, I walked out to the road past the security guard just to get a view of the hotel and was immediately approached by someone trying to sell me drugs. Again, that being said, it wouldn't stop me from coming back as I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. Again, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,232)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Pickering
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I travelled to Hilton Rose Hall with our two sons who are 11 and 7, the week of Jan 11-18 and had a great time.

I always like to give ontext when I write a review, we go away to an all inclusive at least once a year and have been to Jamaica multiple times (although not for 17 years). Our last number of trips have been to Mexico but we decided we wanted to see Jamaica again and introduce our boys to this wonderful country.

We chose the Hilton because it seemed really family friendly, it was close to the airport and was a nice medium sized resort. We have done the mega resort thing a few times and the smaller boutique style and have found that we like this sized resort the best.

STAFF

The thing that stood out for us above all else were the staff at this resort. The big difference we found was that the resort allowed their staff to interact with the guests and not just be there to serve. We really enjoyed getting to know some of the staff and loved the fact that almost all of them took the time to introduce themselves not just to us but to our boys as well. By day 2 we were being greeted by name by most of the staff. A few of the standouts for us (they were all great) were Tyonee at the Seaside grill, he always had a smile and a story for the boys, Jean Johnson who worked in the towel hut and teen center, she made my 7 year old feel special every day (so much so that he wanted to exchange his towel all the time, Kevin making the Omellettes at Fresh and Adrian Johnson who was training and seemed to be everywhere.

POOLS

We spent most of our time at the lazy river and waterslide pool and the kids absoultely loved it, the adults even enjoyed the lazy river and slides and had a hot tub almost every day at the end of the day. We never had a problem getting seats right by the pool, we found the busiest areas were the wade in part for little kids and the part right by the swim up bar. We just chose to park on the lazy river and it was great. We went to the large pool a number of times and played catch with a football or took an end of day swim. It was nice and tended to be quieter.

ROOMS

The rooms were nice and beds were comfy! The pull out only accomodates 1 which is a little strange. We ended up with a King bed (requested) and the pullout and a cot for my oldest, a little crowded but fine. We were upgraded from garden view to Partial Ocean which is really a nice ocean view. We were a little close to the elevators and they were a bit loud but not a big deal. There was a conference while we were there and it was a bit loud one night but hey everyone is on vacation so no problem mon.

FOOD

The food at Fresh was great for breakfast and we ate lunch every day at either Seaside or Mangos. We definitely preferred Seaside and had Jerk Chicken or Pork almost every day. The Jerk was good, a little tamed down for the tourists but very tasty. The buffet is fine, I always get whatever is fresh. They have a carving station and stir fry station and fresh pasta station. We liked the Italian restaurant and the Three palms was a great atmosphere, we found the food a bit hit and miss. I had two great meals, the families were mixed.

BEACH

The beach is small and there are a few rocks but once you get out a bit it is nice and soft. It is a man made beach so not much they can do. It served it's purpose and was good for swimming. If you like to walk for miles on the beach this is not for you.

GROUNDS

The grounds were great, beautiful gardens everywhere, 6 tennis courts and a golf course. We didn't golf but did wander the course and it was stunning. One strange thing we found was if you were on the terrace at Bar King Frog, you had to go back inside to get to the pool level, seems like there was probably a grand staircase at some point and it would be nice if there was another way down.

Overall we had a great trip and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. This is a great resort for families and we would return here for sure, mainly because we liked the staff so much.

new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Overall: Very nice facility that's good for all ages and the staff very friendly. Only negative was the food. Breakfast was decent, but lunch and dinner at all restuarants were avg at best. All food was edible, clean and staff very attentive, but new chef is dearly needed. I get much better seafood,burgers,sandwiches etc at my local pub.
Detailed review: We are family of 4 with 2 college kids. We reserved a mountain view room with 2 queen beds. Upon check in, we were immediately upgrade to an oceanview suite without asking. Very nice! This was probably due to that fact that we are Diamond members and there happened to be availability, but it definitely set the tone for a really nice vacation. Rooms were very nice, spacious and clean. The entire staff throughout resort were very nice, helpful, and made customers feel relaxed and at ease. This was very comforting since when I went to Jamaica 15 years ago, we were constantly hounded and haggled to try and buy something. None of that here. Bring some extra cash for tips as they are appreciated but the staff won't give you a dirty look if you don't. Plenty of things to do here. tennis, golf, watersports, waterpark, ping pong, etc. Did not play the golf course as it was too expensive for us. If you are a serious golfer or can afford it, I would highly recommend it. We walked the course, and is definitely one of the nicer courses I've ever seen. Beautiful views from the mountain and ocean, and nicely laid out. The beach is just average, so if you are a big beach person, go to Negril. If you like theme park type of stuff, go to Mystic Mountain in Ocho Rios. Very expensive but fun. They have a Bobsled run (cross between roller coaster and alpine slide), ziplining, and water activities. Dunns river falls is nearby as well which we've done before. If you go by taxi anywhere, I'd highly recommend Horace Wade at the resort. Very nice and a good driver. As I metntioned earlier, the only negative was the food. Nothing was bad, but nothing was very good either. We stopped asking each other after the second night how the food was because response was the same....average. The Three Palms restaurant on golf course was the best of them all. The beef medallions we had one night was probably the only dish we had that was above average, but still not as good as what we'd receive anywhere in NY. The italian restaurant was disappointing. No resemblance to any italian we've ever eaten. Was also shocked that they don't even serve Cappucino or espresso. Only coffee. You would think that would be standard at an Italian restaurant.
Bottom Line: Had an overall great trip, and would recommend unless you are looking for fine dining or pristine beaches.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The value was there for the all inclusive package. The golf, pool, beach and facilities were very nice. The food was good. Breakfast was good, but dinner and lunch choices could be improved. Only the Italian restaurant was open when we were there and I was not blown away. I would stick to the Jamaican dishes, that's what they do best. Having a mango allergy limited my drink choices quite a bit too. The golf course is a must do. Johnny Cash's house sits on this incredible course. Great elevation changes and beautiful scenery. Golf club rental is available for less than the price that the airlines charge for you to take your own.

Room Tip: The full ocean view rooms aren't worth the extra $, just stick with a partial ocean view and ask...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
upstate New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We recently spent five nights and loved it. We were traveling with a 4-year-old and 1-year-old, so we wanted a low-stress vacation. The all-inclusive resort delivered. We never left the property. We visited the beach, pool, and water park every day.
Rooms: we had reserved a "tropical view" room and requested a view of the golf course. We were upgraded to a "partial ocean view," which was amazing. We requested a crib for our younger son and it was as big as his crib at home -- no pack-and-plays here! The room had a mini-fridge stocked with 2 bottles of water, and a can of coke and sprite. As we drank them, they were replenished every day.
Property: the grounds are beautiful. As other reviews have mentioned, the beach isn't that big, but it was big enough for two little boys to build sand castles. Quite a bit of seaweed washes up overnight but every morning, workers raked up the excess seaweed. We didn't go in the water deeper than our knees but it was a bit rocky and uneven -- not soft sand underfoot. The main pool was favored by sunbathers but there were also plenty of umbrellas for shade. Our sons LOVED the water park. We didn't try the water slides since our boys were too young (minimum age of 6 and height of 48" although I don't know how strictly this was enforced). The water park also had a lazy river which was a lot of fun. There was also a section of the pool that was zero-entry -- the depth went from 0 inches to 3+ feet. This area was popular with familes with small children (including ours).
Food: There's only one option ("Fresh" - the buffet restaurant) for breakfast. They had an omelet station, pancakes, french toast, and waffles made-to-order, along with bread, muffins, fruit, cereal, etc. Plenty of options. We also ate at Fresh for dinner every night. This was the best option for us -- we were able to get in and out quickly and our picky eater could have pizza every night if he wanted. We didn't eat at the nicer dinner spots, so I can't speak to them. We had lunch at Mangoes (by the water park) and the Seaside Grille (near the pool). The Seaside Grille was my favorite. The Jerk Chicken was amazing (of course). Both restaurants had kids menus (grilled cheese, hot dogs, etc.).

My one complaint (and it's pretty minor) was the inconsistant service from Housekeeping. One day, they took the dirty bath towels away and didn't replace them so we had to call to have someone bring up more. Another day, we had no hand towels. The next day, no washcloths. It wasn't until our 4th day that we got conditioner (and we only got it that one day) and other days, we didn't get more shampoo. I'm sure if we had called to ask for additional soap or towels, we would have gotten them but we shouldn't have to ask.

In addition to the water, there's also a little playground and swingset which we visited one afternoon. (They also have a kids club for children 4-12 but we didn't use this since we didn't go on vacation to leave our kids with someone else. I could see where this could be a nice option if the parents wanted to go golfing or visit the spa.)

The staff was all very friendly, especially towards our boys. People went out of their way to ask how they were doing, if they were having fun, etc. Since the resort is all-inclusive, meals were quick (no waiting around for the check), which was important to us with two little boys. We also enjoyed trying the different cocktail specials and other colorful drinks we wouldn't normally drink. The Bar King Frog offered "to go" drinks, so my husband would get a couple drinks each evening for us to enjoy on the balcony after our boys went to bed.

Overall, it was a wonderful family vacation.

Room Tip: Request a golf course view for a quieter room.
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just got back from a 5 night stay (1/12 to 1/17/13) at the Hilton Rose Hall. This place has a lot of value for what you pay. Are there nicer resorts? Sure…but reach into your wallet. This place offered a lot for the money spent. Called out below is my opinion on each area.

Entertainment - Management, PLEASE LISTEN. The Silver Birds Steel Band is your top show by miles!!!! We watched each set of entertainment from Sat to Thursday and these guys were awesome and by far the best! Pay them double if you have to keep them performing at your hotel. They are awesome and probably worth double what you have to give them. They played songs by Coldplay, Pink, Michael Jackson, Adele, truly a class act and can’t say enough. Other nights were a magician for kids (cheesy, but the kids loved it), Fire Blower and limo show which was good. Another consideration for entertainment might be a comedian to come in and do a 45 min set. They had various other activities available around the grounds (corn hole, paddle ball, ping pong, etc). They also had contests that you could sign up for. All this stuff is only going to be as good as the guest make it.

Hotel Rooms – The rooms are pretty much what you see in most reviewers’ pictures. The rooms are getting older, but they are maintained. The Hilton should put a plan together to start renovating over the next few years. We had partial ocean view on the golf course side, which I would recommend. Our friends had pool view and you could see the top of the building along with the pool and ocean. I was disappointed that as a Hilton honors Gold member that we were not upgraded to Ocean Front (even after asking at the front desk) it was obvious at night that they had A LOT of ocean front rooms available, but still happy with what I got. Also as Hilton Gold members I got free wi-fi in the room. It sucked. Signal was poor. Had to go to business center or free wi-fi in lobby, which was no big deal.

Hotel Grounds – Was well maintained and groomed saw workers keeping it clean planting flowers etc. The hotel lobby was very nice. They have the free internet café just off the lobby.

Spa – Used the spa and received a hot stone massage, very nicely done. The price we paid was on par with other resorts of this nature; however I was disappointed that the spa didn’t have a sauna or hot-tub. The locker room was the size of a phone booth and didn’t have any showers, just lockers and a sink. If a renovation is considered in this area they should add. Other hotels we paid the same price and had a much larger facility. Also, it was annoying that we booked a couples massage and had to split up because they triple booked couples massages at that time and didn’t have a room large enough for my wife and I so we had to split up, not that big of a deal, but just sloppy scheduling.

Food – Ate at the Three Palms once and the Luni Di Mare twice. The two high end restaurants were great and nothing but exceptional service. I agree with the one reviewer that going to the Three palms is nice as you get to take the shuttle over and it makes you feel like you’re leaving the resort. It was a nice night and we chose to walk back (about 5-10 min walk at best). We ate breakfast at Fresh every morning and the French Toast and omelets are awesome. They have fresh fruit, cereals, bagels, etc. You name it its out there. We had lunch at Mangos and Seaside Bar and Grill. The only items that sounded good were the nachos and Rose Hall sub , both were tasty.

Pool – Main pool was great and were most of the sun was. We spent a majority of our time there. The water park was great as well. Since it was January there was plenty of chairs to be had. One thing I would say was even thought it was a high of 85 for months down there; both the main pool and water park area the water was cold. In addition, 2 of the 3 hot tubs were not that hot. Timers for the jets were broke as well. They could spend some maintenance on those.

Golf Course – The golf course looked great. You can get good rates on www.ezlinks.com . However, do yourself a favor and pay an extra $10 or so and go across the street and play White Witch. Check out my review on trip advisor, but each hole is cut out of the woods and 16 of 18 holes overlook the ocean. Cinnamon hills is much more open and like a lot of courses in the states.

Overall, very happy with what I received for my money. I would say the building itself is about a 3 star place, but with the great people working there and great service would make it like a 3.5 or 4 star. If they worked on the little things noted above, I would say it would be a 4 star.

Room Tip: Partial Ocean View, Golf Course side
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a really great property! The all inclusive package is completely worth it since you have the option to enjoy any of the on property dining spots include the theme restaurants. The restaurant staff, especially those working in the Fresh Start buffet were phenomenal! and I am always partial to my housekeeping staff as they are sometimes the forgotten ones but they did an awesome job of keeping our room nice and clean our entire visit. The concierge however as polite as they were, did not seem to volunteer much information about off premises attractions, much of that information you almost have to seek out yourselves and THEN ask, there is an hotel orientation that is more of a tour of the property maybe they can extend that more and add information on day trips and off premises activities. My suggestion is if you are visiting take to your taxi and tour bus drivers and find out what they have to offer, and be prepared to pay. The shops related to the hotel were great as well for souvs shopping. At first I thought is was expensive until we left to go home and I saw the ridiculous mark up on the same merchandise I bought in the airport departure lounge. Given that the location of the hotel it self was so isolated I wish there had been a walk way from the hotel to the adjoining shops, it would have been so much more convenient, but they do offer a shuttle that runs every half hour. Lastly, I was bummed that even though it had on premises child care, your child had to be 4yrs and older, so my envisioned vacation of having at least a few hrs alone time with my husband went up in smoke when I realized there was no babysitting for my 2yr old. But otherwise the resort is overall very child friendly that went a long way to making our vacation enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!