“family holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“family holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

stayed at this hotel in may 2012, The property is well kept and very clean, Food was very good and always a plenty to choose from, same with the drink . The beach was a small beach, had a problem with seaweed, but that was cleared away every day. The pools were a good size and plenty of tubes for the lazy river. We did a couple of trips while we were there, we did the duns river falls and dolphin cove, which was are best trip and well worth doing, we also did the martha brae river on the rafts which we also enjoyed. we did the night trip to the great house as well. We had a really good holiday and hope to return soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,261)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Shoreham, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and 3 daughters arrived to montego bay airport easy but rough flight 6 am out of Jfk arrived to JTL transfers easy stopped at 3 hotels NP arrived to Hilton NICE welcome No early check in but she tried Off to seaside grill Good food Great Beer Nice way to start Able to get to room and change. Off to beach No problem getting 5 chairs together as has been a problem at all inclusives. (Do you really need to get up at 6 am and hold 7 chairs????) Anyhow, Staff, food drinks and weather was fabulous. Problems No hot water after 4 pm Pressure drops to 0 often while showering if on 7 th top floor. Beds in 741 needs replacing King in 743 GREAT Did a snorkeling trip thru hotel and margaritaville FUN Highly recommend this resort. Jamaica is a place I didn t hear good things about but our dealings with the locals were all positive. Not much nightlife for our 21 year old twins but they enjoyed the trip.

Room Tip: Try lower levels for better H2O pressure.
ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Rose Hall from 12/26-1/2. We traveled with extended family including six kids ages 10-16.
I will begin with the good. Best feature was the weather! SUN SUN SUN. The property was nice. It was just big enough to let your kids roam free, but still keep a pulse on their whereabouts. Food was plentiful and free flowing which was another plus when traveling with kids. There was plenty to do, especially for the kids (noticing a trend?). Ours were busy all day with their cousins and other kids and never complained of being bored. I would say the food was ok if you are not a real foodie. (although even I was a little grossed out by the Velveeta on the nachos!) Unfortunately their were those in our party who were very particular. All inclusives seem to be a very bad choice for them. But this is the good section. The New Years Eve buffet was very good. So was New Years Day dinner buffet. There was always alot of variety and always kid pleasing choices.

The bad. The beach was PACKED. It was not very long or wide and finding a good "spot" involved paying staff to do it or getting up at the crack to reserve it. Their were towels on every chair by the main pool by 7. I absolutely hated this. Service on the beach was inconsistent as was the staff in general. Some were super friendly and helpful. Others seemed to be worn out by the holiday crowds. Some were actually rude. Our room was a huge suite. However, no phones in the room worked. Also, the previous post about the hot water was spot on!! There was never any hot water at 5:30 for the whole week!! Also, there were about four water bottles in our room. I am used to free flowing bottled water. You could either refill your little bottle or get a cup from a cooler which was tap water. Sounds snotty, but I like bottled water, especially when I travel. The gym was also packed. There was an eliptical machine broken the whole time I was there. It did get a bit less crowded later in the week.

The ugly. Crowds Crowds Crowds. I guess this is just how it is during December break. It's not that anyone was unpleasant, but it was so not relaxing. Also, I didn't care for the beer chugging contest in the middle of the afternoon with all of the young kids around. Now I am no prude, but come on! It would also be better if they would do their "contests" etc. away from the beach. It was hard enough to relax with all the bodies.

I don't judge. Their are those that love this type of resort. We did have a good time and were able to laugh and some of the stuff we didn't like. Our kids were very happy. I would say that if you are used to a different level of service/luxury/quality do not come here. You will be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manager_Hilton_RH, Manager at Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome your to our hotel and appreciate your business.
I was very happy to read from you review that you though our property was kid- friendly you that you enjoyed a large selection of food items. Our main priority is for our guests to experience a welcoming and comfortable stay with us. I do apologize if you experienced larger than usual crowds. During our holiday season we see an increasing number of guests; however, we always strive to make each individual guest feel welcome and well attended. It is with this in mind that I truly regret that you found some of our staff to be rude.
Our main priority is for our guests to experience an exceptional stay with us and I can assure you that I have spoken to our staff regarding your comments so that this does not happen in the future.

Again I thank you for your review and if there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!

Regards,

Jaap van Dam
Hotel Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I traveled with 2 other families for 7 nights this past December break. Lets start off by saying the beach was unusually small and misleading from the hotel's website pictures. We sat on the beach for the first couple of days until we realized that the main pool was much better. The beach was very crowded and much hotter than the pool area. The rooms were extremely clean and the housekeeping went above and beyond taking care of us. The overall grounds of the resort were well maintained. However, throughout the day the pool bathroom could have been cleaner. The beach was raked every morning and there were plenty of chairs on the beach although there were no huts or shade. The water park was a nice bonus and kept everyone busy for hours. The water slides were very fun and the swim-up bar was convenient. Now for the food, the breakfast buffet was great. There was an omelet station and a pancake, waffles and french toast station. The line for the omelet station was very long, but it was worth the wait. The french toast was delicious. For lunch there were a few options. The buffet was one along with the seaside grille and then mangoes. You could also order food from the pool or beach. The food was good although if you eat at the seaside grille it takes a long time to get your food. For dinner there was the buffet and then 3 other restaurants. Three Palms is located on the golf course, so you had to take a 2 minute shuttle or a 10 minute walk. The food was pretty good there, I would recommend the spring rolls. The other restaurants were also okay. Internet access is free in the internet cafe, if you want it in your room it was an additional $11 per day. The entertainment was fun for most of the nights especially the steel drums. The golf corse was kept in great condition and was very nice. The best part of the entire resort is the staff. I have been to many other resorts in the Caribbean and I have never encountered people so willing to accommodate you. I want to give a shout out to Adrian Barrett from the seaside grill, and also Sandra from housekeeping. Overall, if your looking to get out of your town for a week and go to really nice weather, you should maybe like to consider this hotel as an option.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are definitely worth it.
Costa Mesa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Let me start by sayingf the hotel here and I am still here is a nice property with plenty to do and helpful people all around the property.
We arrived on Monday a between 1 & 1:30 PM and our room was not ready and we did not check in until almost 4:00PM. We waited in the lobby and witnessed plenty of people getting there rooms. I unstand that check in is at 4:00 PM however as a diamond members since 1991 this has only happen to me only one other time at a Hilton hotel. The room is nice with a nice view. We then went to the pool after check in on Monday and it is very nice along with the water park. After the pool we went back to our room to shower to go out for New Years Eve and had no hot water in our room. So we decided to take a cold shower and the water pressure went out. We called the front desk and they said maybe a lot of people were taking showers. Then they sent someone up an he informed us they had some type of problem and were working on it. So we did not get to enjoy New Years eve. New Years day morning the water was hot no issues GREAT to take a hot shower. Now as I type this review we have no hot water and just get excusses on why we do not but the good news is they are working on it. So now it is cold shower time at the Hilton again for the second night. The real issue is that no one here seams to think that it is a big deal not to have hot water.
Phil

Room Tip: Do not stay near room 661 unless you like cold showers
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manager_Hilton_RH, Manager at Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our beautiful resort. While we are delighted that you enjoy the property, we are sorry that you are disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us.

Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Our engineering team worked on solutions to eliminate the hot water challenges in the late afternoon.

Again, please accept our sincere apologies and we hope that the rest of your stay will be without any hot water challenges.

Sincerely yours,

Jaap van Dam
Hotel Manager
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Just returned from Rose Hall Resort with my 18 &14 year old. The service/staff was great, couldn't be any nicer! They really go out of their way! Quick ride from airport too. Nice crowd, mostly from NY, a lot of kids, all ages. Drinking age is also 18.The grounds were pretty, nice beach, very clean. Not too hard to get a chair. Kids loved the lazy river and pools. The food was very good for an all inclusive. I have been to many in DR and Mexico, this was the best as far as food. There were many choices for lunch and dinner You need to make a reservation for dinner at their 3 restaurants, early in the week. Breakfast buffet was very good. Exercise room was also nice. I liked that we were served lunch/drinks on the beach. They had a BBQ everyday by the beach, Mangoes restaurant by the beach and a cart with jerk chicken everyday.The margaritas were delicious too.The room was not as nice as I would have liked, needs a little facelift. The free WIFI was great for my kids. The only problem we encountered was that there is nothing to do at night, especially for my 18 yr old. No nightlife. I would love to return but my kids need evening activities.

Room Tip: room with resort view also face partial beach.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I'm writing this review with only a few hour left to stay here at the Hilton Rose Hall. It has been an enjoyable and stress free vacation for me and my family of four, including 8 and 5 year old kids. Our first time in Jamaica and we were not disappointed. The weather was absolutely perfect.

The staff was awesome here. It was my wife's birthday and they managed to help me get a beautiful tropical bouquet of flowers as well as a complimentary bottle of champagne. At the end of our trip, we ran out of Childrens Motrin and though, the gift shop didn't carry it, they were able to make the necessary arrangements. Throughout the stay, the staff was very accommodating.

The kids club was a great place for my 5 year old daughter. My son liked it as well. It was a welcome refuge from the sun for them. Though, they also could go outside if they prefer.

The food was more than adequate. It certainly wasn't ultra luxurious. However, from what I have heard about all-inclusives, it fit the profile. The breakfast and lunch options were great. A full breakfast buffet with an omelet station and freshly made juices were my favorite. There were good options for lunch as well, including jerk chicken. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised that the resort offered plenty of authentic cuisine. At least, it seemed authentic to this American. As for the dinners, the buffet offered enough of a selection that we could always find at least a few things we really enjoyed. My favorite was the fresh fruit served every night, including the sour sop and the coconut water.

The pool and beach areas were the right sizes for us. There are two slides, a lazy river, a large regular pool, and a beach area. It was easy to rotate through these areas throughout the day. We just liked the manageable size. It was a short walk to anywhere. We were never too far away from the bar or the bathroom. My favorite part about the resort was that the non-motorized sports were NOT extra. I love to sail. And, if you're not a sailor, the life guards will go with you. They also have windsurfing and paddle boats. The hermit crab races were fun.

I've never written a review before. I felt compelled to do so because I read some pretty awful reviews about this place. A big negative for me was that the air hockey table in the kids area was broken. And I could see people hammering them about some of the food selection. Also, the evening entertainment was very loud from the room. But it ended at about 10ish every night.

Also, by the way, I'd recommend Dunns River Falls. It was the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!