“Stuffy first impression but relaxed once you are booked in.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$209 (USD)
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Stuffy first impression but relaxed once you are booked in.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

11 night vist early Nov 2012.
Having arrived you are greeted by the concierge who insists on taking your cases. That is the first of many tips at the hotel. Having already tipped the guy who led us to the mini bus and the driver of the bus once we got to the hotel.
The room was spacious, clean and the king sized bed very comfortable.
No booze in the fridge only 2 bottles of water.
The 2 A la Carte restaurants were ok with a limited menu.
The buffet pretty good but the food was similar every day however there always seemed to be something that looked good.
I must say all the restaurant, bar staff and others were nearly always very helpful and willing to chat if they had time.
The weather was not fantastic but that was not there fault as we arrived soon after hurricane Sandy.
It was a bit quiet so there was always a good choice of sunbeds around the pool or Lazy River

Room Tip: 7th floor would give the best view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,107)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Me, my sister, cousin and some friends arrived in Jamaica on October 18th and stayed until October 28th. The staff was very polite upon arrival, our rooms were ready for check-in and we were brought fresh drinks without even asking! The bell boy assisted us with our luggage and direct us to our room. Me and my sister’s room was very nice and clean with a view of the golf course and water. We spent the first few days on the resort, laying on the beach…the water was bathtub warm, blue/aqua turquoise and very clear – absolutely amazing! The Lazy River pool was tons of fun with the water slides, which my sister Stephanie could not get enough of! The Entertainment staff kept us entertained during the afternoon with beer chugging contests and dance contests, where we learned how to shake our booty’s to the song Bruk It Down. We ate dinner at Fresh the first night (buffet with a wide variety of great food including an ice cream machine! This became the girls’ favourite dessert so make sure to hit this up!), we sat outside and listened to reggae music watched fire eaters and Jamaican dancers…if the steel pan band is playing one night at the Hilton, do not miss it! They were amazing!! Later in the night we played pool and danced in the Cricket Club, the Entertainment staff always got everyone up and dancing….a special shout out to Shevon Wellington who was always smiling and going out of his way to make sure we were having fun, taught us the Wobble (which is now my favourite dance) and a little bit about Jamaica itself, he also told us to check out Pier 1 on Friday night, which we did and so glad we did! The shuttle at the hotel took us to Pier 1, which is an outdoor bar on the wharf, live band and 3 levels…the waves were crashing up against the pier the whole night, had a fantastic time there! Another night we tried nice dining at a sit-down Italian restaurant, great food and service. One afternoon we took the free shuttle from the resort to the Rose Hall Shopping Center where we did some shopping and often ate at the Seaside Grill for lunch or late afternoon eats (great burgers!!)…which turned into “happy hour” upstairs at the Bar King Frog where we were served trail mix while sipping on champagne. Over all the food was great, drinks were flowing, and staff was outstanding! I have never been to Jamaica before and just from our day at the Hilton Rose Hall, I am definitely coming back next year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here for a conference recently. The rooms were clean and spacious and the hotels facilities are good. I especially liked the lazy river and the water slides.

There were a few issues that came up. The food wasn't as diverse as I have had at other all-inclusive resorts. In fact, after two meals in the buffet ("Fresh", the main dining area) I was kind of sick of it. It did change but the selections at each meal were limited. The service was very good at Mangoes and the Seaside Grill. I checked in at 3.30 and was hungry. I was told everything was closed until dinner but discovered that both Mangoes and the Seaside Grill serve until 6.00pm. The other major issue is that both locks on my room (front door and balcony sliding door) did not actually lock properly. I called maintenance several times but these were never fixed. I ended up just praying that my room would be safe and nothing would be stolen. That seemed to work.

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We recently returned from 5 nights at the Hilton Rose Hall. I had done a lot of research beforehand and read my share of trip advisor reviews. Overall, we were very happy with our selection and would return to this resort. We would likely only return during off season as we found that the price was right during that time for this resort and due to the fact that their was many children activities (do not have children) I would not want to be there for high season.
The food was great-I really enjoyed how they served a lot of authentic Jamaica dishes from curries, to jerk chicken and selection of fruit and veggies. They also had a good amount of stations and enough selection to keep most people happy. We tried both resturants and would hihgly recommend Three Palms. The service was great and so was the food.
In regards to excursions we went to Dunns River Falls, went on an atv tour through Mount Zion and a shopping trip into the city. Would highly recommend the excursions! The guides were great and the price was decent. These can be booked in the lobby.
We did not find the rooms and the beach were anything too special (keeping in mind we were there one week after the hurricane so not sure if that affected the beach at all). I prefer places that you can walk along the stretch of the beach. It is closed here and a private beach-this obviously comes with it's pros and cons. If the beach or room is your number one thing this may not be the spot. The pool was really fun and we took advantage of the lazy river, swim up bar, and water slides. We never had issues finding chairs.
The enterntainment, like any resort, is hit and miss and depends on your preference . If the steel pan band is there one night do not miss it-they were amazing and travel the world preforming.
We found that the service was overall good and the staff was friendly and helpful. We never had any issues.
Jamaica is a beautiful place and would encourage anyone to get off the resort and enjoy the island as well!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HOLLYWOOD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Property needs to be remodeled and updated last year. Staff has not been trained to treat customers in a manner of respect and service so they will return on another visit. Food did not campare with other resorts in the area. Unless you get an unbelivable deal on your stay, and none of the other resorts in the are avaliable, DON'T STAY HERE....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
RobdeBekker, Manager at Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for the review of your stay with us. Considering the number of things you felt were deficient, any one of our managers including myself would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss your concerns in person while you were onsite so we could have addressed these concerns.

Our team takes great pride in our product and service execution and we are very disappointed that you perceived your stay so poorly. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations and we will continue to work on improving our offerings.

We do hope that we are afforded the opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful resort so we may restore your faith in our hospitality.

Rob de Bekker
Director of Food & Beverage
Bath, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Taken a while to get round to this as we travelled in July. 21 of us went for 2 weeks for a family wedding with 1 of us being a permanent wheelchair user. All of us who went agree this was the best holiday we have had. If you were looking for something to criticise then yes the check in was slow and the sea was a little murky and choppy. There is seaweed on the beach but the staff are up at daybreak every day clearing it away. I couldn't fault there efforts. We spent quite a few days on the beach and in the sea and enjoyed every minute. The food at all the resteraunts was very good with plenty of choice. It is on weekly rotation so by the second week we were seeing the same things but then i hadn't tried it all the first time arround. The book only resteraunts are worth the effort aswell. The staff were all fantastic and tipping wasn't the issue i thought it was going to be. Yes a few dollars here and there perked things up a bit but we didn't feel pressured. Try leaving a few dollars on your pillow for the maids. Towel animals and fresh flower petals appear in your room, magic. There are so many staff members i could mention but would especially like to mention Audrey in the main food hall. She looked for us every day and was particularly friendly. I may have mentioned before but our daughter is a permanent wheelchair user and as such has been ignored on other holidays we have had. Not here. especially Audrey who made here feel very special. Also Denny and Jessica, thank you.
Ok, so the hotel. No complaints from us. Fully accessible and plenty to do. The lazy river and swim up bar are hard to stay away from. Entertainment in the evenings was also good.
One word of advice. Before booking a day trip through your operator (Thomas Cook). Check whats available from the taxi drivers outside. Ask for Thurston. He took all 21 of us on a couple of day trips that were better value than the organised trips and more personal. The wheel chair was not an issue and they even helped to lift!!!!!! You will still get a better deal for just 2 people. We all recommend this hotel. No problem.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Eagan, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I arrived home last night from our first ever vacation (I.e., our honeymoon, babymoon and first vacay all rolled into one). We very much enjoyed our stay at the Hilton. The staff was EXCELLENT (for the most part, there were a few who were obviously not thrilled to be at work that day). We received wonderful service from nearly every staff member we encountered. I have to say though there were a few areas lacking:

- the food wasn't amazing. The breakfast buffet was the best part when we figured out the made-to-order omelets and French toast were where it was at. The other meals at Fresh were not great. The Italian place was the same food as the buffet, just packaged differently. We could only get a 9:00 pm reservation for the night we did Italian, and had to wait quite awhile to be seated. It was obviously very busy and the wait staff seemed rushed. Dinner at the three palms was by far the best. We went there two nights in a row. The service there was superb and the food was very good. The two seaside places were ok, but nothing amazing. Our first day we were famished when we arrived, and ate at the poolside bar. The nachos were terrible, but my husband really enjoyed the veggie "fajitas". The jerkmos chicken and festivales were delicious. The other thing (as a pregnant person, food was obviously my top priority) about the food was that I felt limited in availability. The menu at the poolside places was limited and the same daily, and there were no late night options for food. Since I pretty much want to eat constantly, I would have loved to see a pizza/ice cream place open all the time. It also would have been nice to have a coffee shop. We love coffee, but there never seemed to be any down by the buffet.

-our room was a pleasant surprise in that it had a balcony and ocean/golf course view. There were a few disappointments here though. There was only one chair at the desk, so we had to sit on the beds, which got uncomfortable. The only light in the room was the two wall sconces between the bed, the bathroom light and the hall light. Usually in Hilton properties there's a desk lamp and a floor lamp. The placement of the desk felt a little odd, only because the coffee maker had to be plugged into the outlet on the opposite wall, so we had to brew coffee on the floor, which was weird. The other strange thing about our room was that there was NO decoration at all. No pictures, no fake plants, nothing. Besides the view, I appreciated the little refrigerator and 2 free bottles of water/day. The in-room coffee was AMAZING. Usually in-room coffee is terrible, so this was a pleasant surprise. Oh, and we also had trouble getting hot water consistently. Washing my face at night, the water never got warm, even after running it for 10-15 minutes.

-the Internet situation kind of sucked. There was one small area where you could use it, so we crowded in with a bunch of others so we could FaceTime back home with our 2-year-old. It just seems silly to charge $12/day for something that is so widely available for free these days. This was pretty minor though, since the point of our trip was to disconnect for awhile.

-the beach was ok. Plenty of beach chairs/tables, and the sand was nice. They kept the beach pretty clean of seaweed too. But, there was LOTS of seaweed in the water and our first day it smelled like eggs. Maybe it's sensitive pregnancy nose, but it was stinky.

-Hilton HHonors - I was told at checkin that I wouldn't earn points for my stay because I booked through a third party. To me, this is ridiculous. I focused my vacation search on Hilton properties just for that reason, and am still upset that my loyalty isn't going to be rewarded.

In all, we had a very nice (albeit too short!) trip. The one thing that sticks out in my mind was the quality of the service we received. I've stayed at a lot of hotels in a lot of places, and have never received such wonderful service. The staff truly made our experience great. If we go to Jamaica again, I can't say that we'd definitely stay at the Hilton, but it would be a top contender. It'd be a great place to go with a family, because there were so many families though, makes it hard to have an adult focused vacation if you're looking for that.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!