“Awesome location, rooms, food and staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Rose Hall to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rose Hall, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
York, Pennsylvania
“Awesome location, rooms, food and staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

I will apologize in advance for the length of this review. I wanted to be as thorough as possible. We always read Trip-Advisor before selecting a resort and felt it important to share what we thought about this resort. You will always hear some good and some bad no matter what. Some people will never be happy anywhere, and others do not have experience enough to really know what to expect.
My husband and I are well-traveled throughout the Caribbean and Mexico. We have been to many different countries/Islands and have stayed with many of the resort chains. Our comments related to travel always focus on the resort itself and not on the flight, etc. as the resort company has nothing to do with that. With that said, we traveled from Philadelphia non-stop to Montego Bay. The flight was easy, and the transfer process to the resort was equally smooth.
Check-In:
Immediately upon arriving at the resort, we were greeted by smiling faces and a cool towel. Within minutes we were checked in and had a chilled champagne in our hands.
We booked "oceanfront". Although, the reception desk rep made the mistake of informing us that we had been offered a complimentary upgrade to oceanfront....until we quickly pointed out that we had PAID for oceanfront to begin with. So we assumed that they were automatically doing that (for Oceanview guests) due to low occupancy in the hotel . However, when we asked for a corner room, she quickly refused saying that they were 100% full. Huh? They were most definitely NOT anywhere near full until near the end of our stay when it became difficult to find a seat at the pool. More on that in a minute.
Since we arrived after the standard check-in time, we were able to get into our rooms without wait. We were told at check-in that a Butler would be visiting us shortly.

Room:
We only saw our room, so we do not know what the rest of them look like, but we are assuming that they are pretty much the same. On the dresser was a personalized Welcome Letter addressed to us---very, very nice touch. The room was very spacious and comfortable. Bathroom is huge, with two separate vanities (ladies, you will appreciate that!), a separate toilet closet, jacuzzi tub, and large marble shower.
We had more closet space than I am accustomed to in a hotel room (two separate closets!), plus an adequately stocked mini-bar, room safe, etc.
The room included a step-down sitting area and a large, gorgeous covered patio with a comfy sofa, table and wicker "swing". We spent many eves there just prior to going to dinner, enjoying the quiet twilight, a glass of wine and a good book (for me)/ cigar (for him).
The bed---simply to die for. Best sleep in a hotel--any hotel--anywhere--- ever.

Dining:
Good food with enough variety to keep you satisfied for a week or so. The buffets were always well-stocked with fresh fruits, salads, fish, etc. And oh, yeah--really good ice cream!
The resort offers a variety of restaurants and guests at the Grand Hotel also have the option of eating at any restaurant in the complex (but the guests of the other parts--Beach Hotel, and Suites---could not come to ours.) We took advantage of that one night and ate at the Mexican in the Suites. That actually was one of our favorites! Check out the Grilled Lobster there. And oh yeah, all of the Mexican appetizers on their app bar.
We also were able to eat at the Surf and Turf (very, very good), the Italian and the Gourmet. All had excellent points, and of course some weaknesses as well. But overall, the restaurants are quite good.
I say we were "able" to eat at the restaurants because reservations were one of the disappointing areas during this trip. It was difficult to get reservations. Restaurants are only open certain nights, and even at around 50% occupancy (they told us!), we were told there were no tables available. Booking weeks start on Sunday, and so reservations for after Sunday cannot be booked prior to Sunday. EXCEPT--apparently, you can book from home in advance of your arrival to the resort. Makes no sense though, considering that booking is NOT ALLOWED prior to Sunday for that week. It was frustrating and disappointing. And Concierge is terrible. I will address this under a different heading in a moment.

Pool and Beach:
Great pool areas with enough chairs and places to sit--up until the last two days of our vacation when it was apparent that occupancy truly had increased and there were not as many chairs to be found. You can opt to sit quietly and read or people watch, close to the pool or a little further away. Or you can choose to be in the middle of the party which was closer to the pool bar area and where most of the pool activities were held. Water was a bit chilly in February, but once you were in it felt great.
The Beach experience was pretty much the same. Plenty of places to sit and enjoy. Water is very clear and warm enough to take a dip. No waves though, so no body surfing!

Staff:
Overall, this resort has some of the nicest, genuinely friendly people we have ever met on vacation. So many people to mention, but we will do our best:
Great servers by the pool--Carinna and Vivienne. These ladies made sure we always had just what we wanted/needed, and if a few times surprised us with stuff to try.
Beach waitress--Racquel. Ask her to get you one of her "Specials". You will want another!
Bartenders--all great. Friendly, chatty, fun. Some people to make sure you meet: Morrison at the Lobby Bar, and Allando in Hemingway's Cigar Bar. Ask Allando for one of his Specials too! You will not be disappointed!
Activities/Entertainment--- Excellent group of young people. The Star Friends and Entertainment Team take the time to get to know you personally, not just as another guest. You can tell they really do want you to have fun, and take it seriously! They appear well-trained and are professional while still making sure you have a good time. We noticed that our group was more outgoing and friendly than the same group in the next resort. (We spent some time in the Music Bar of the Suites several nights.)
All of them are great! Some that we had a chance to spend some time with: Lucky, Mr. Kool, Tinkerbell, Storm, Crystal and Teniesha, and one of our favorites--Sebolious! Also, our review of the Team would not be complete without a shout out to the Manager. Jamaica is very lucky to have gotten Conan (O'Brien) away from Iberostar Bavaro (Dominican Republic). We were shocked to hear our names being called out by someone as we passed. Conan had remembered us from a previous vacation to the Iberostar Bavaro over 15 months ago!! We immediately recognized him as well. Conan, we are sure, has upped the service level that Rose Hall will provide to the guests in terms of quality activities and fun!
Nightly entertainment:
Mostly good, with some highlights (Boogie Nights!) and some that are worth skipping. But go anyway.

Spa/Golf/Extras:
All I can say is...get the Chocolate Experience and ask for Juliet. It is not a treatment for the modest or shy, but it is by far the best spa experience ever, in any spa, in any country. The spa offers a nice variety of treatments, and very qualified Therapists. Spa Manager is also very, very nice and will guide you in making a selection if you are not sure what you want. Locker rooms--not so much. Absolutely bare bones. For a luxury spa resort, they could offer a few more amenities in the locker room.
My husband golfed at a local course, Cinnamon Hill. He could not stop talking about the beautiful and challenging course, and the Caddy, Michael. Golf was included in our package, so check with your Travel Agent. Take advantage of it if it is.

Service Staff ("Public Relations"):
One of the features of the Grand Hotel is the assignment of a Butler to each Guest Room. At check-in we were told that we would see our Butler soon who would review the room / features / amenities, etc. as well as to assist us with booking any reservations or appointments.
We waited in our room for an hour (precious time to waste on vacation in Paradise) and no one came. Finally we made our way to the Lobby to ask who we should see to book our stuff ourselves. We were pointed in the direction of one of the Butlers, Donovan. He was not our assigned person, but quickly got us to Marvin, who took care of us the rest of the week.
The Butler's role is really to do whatever you need. When we arrived and finally made our way to Marvin, the first thing we wanted to do was get our restaurant choices lined up. Dining is part of the experience for us at resorts, and it is an important part of our vacation! Since we arrived on Friday, we were told we could not get reservations at all for Friday night (all booked up!). So, we then asked for something for Saturday night. Nope, booked up then too. Come on! So we decided to attempt to get into Mexican at the Suites. The Concierge was supposed to get back to us on Saturday to let us know what time our reservations were for. Except she never did. So, we took care of it ourselves. The Concierge "forgot" to tell us that she was off on Saturday, and so just never bothered calling. And her replacement...well I guess she just did not feel like following up.
The Concierges are terrible, the worst we have ever encountered. Rude, attitude, rolling-eyes, snippy and snooty. And NOT helpful. And it was not just one. We encountered at least two of them and they behaved the same way. Absolutely shameful in a resort of this caliber.
Lucky for us, the Butlers pick up the pieces. Our Butler went out of his way, every day he was there, to ensure that we were taken care of. We cannot say enough good about Marvin. He truly cares about his guests, and wants to ensure their satisfaction and enjoyment. In addition to resolving several scheduling issues with reservations, he made my Birthday one of the most memorable ever. My husband arranged for our room to be decorated, and Marvin went out of his way. We arrived back to the room from dinner on my Birthday to find our room filled with candles, a warm bath with beautiful flowers. Marvin provided special flowers from his Mother's own garden to enhance our experience. I could not have been happier. He is a wonderful asset to the Butler Staff--a warm, sweet young man with a bright future. If you go this resort, ask for Marvin.

Overall, this resort has it "going-on". Room service came when it was supposed to. Wake-up calls were timely. People were friendly and helpful (with the exception of the one group whose only job is to be friendly and helpful--Concierge). Grounds are meticulously maintained and beautiful. Food is really good. You have to try really, really hard to NOT have a great time here. This is the third Iberostar we have have visited. Hands down, it is the best. And MAY even now be our favorite resort.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,101)
  • Polish first
Mount Prospect, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

Overall, the Grand is top-notch and I highly recommend it. I’ve been to all of the major AIs in Jamaica (and some of the lesser AIs) and this place is hard to beat. It is no more than 30 minutes from Sangster. Great food, service and top shelf liquor at all bars. I went with two friends mid-January and we had blast. We had lobster and/or crab at least once a day, which makes me very happy! Great people, good food and non-stop liquor - what more could we ask for?

Room: Very nice room. 2 queen beds, 1 couch bed. Twice a day maid service. Two separate vanities/sinks in bathroom and a beautiful ocean view in 52xx wing. The Grand buildings are numbered 5 and 6 (building 5 is closer to Suites hotel), which is the first digit of your room number – the second digit is the floor #. The balcony was very nice size including a love-seat swing, which I slept in one night. There were no trees outside our room, so I did miss the tree frog music which I am accustom to. I guess that is the negative of a manmade beach.

Room Service: Good food, speedy service. We ordered pizza and/or burgers every night between 1-2am and the food always arrived in under 30 minutes and was made fresh.

Pool bar: Always a great time. Our man Morris over served us every day! Pool bar service was great and there was always enough bartenders to handle the crowd. The pool bar was larger than most AIs, with many in-pool seats and excellent bar staff. The pool is an infinity pool that overlooks the beach and ocean. It was generally upbeat and a party, but can be a bit tame compared to Sandals or Superclubs pool bars. The upside is that you can walk next door. The Suites pool bar had more of a party atmosphere (but more people at the bar), so we had the best of both worlds.

Beach: I was at a corporate event that rented the hotel to capacity and we were still able to find good beach chairs between 9-10am. There was drink service on the beach, which was nice as I have never had that in Jamaica before. In addition, it may have been my imagination, but the sand seemed finer/softer on the Grand beach then it did on the Suites or Beach beach.

Butler service – Most everybody bragged about how attentive their butlers were, unfortunately we never met ours, which seemed really odd??? But, the day before we left (tipping day), he did knock on our door asking if we needed anything. Of course my answer by that time was “no thanks”.

Room fridge: Left a note and $5 in the fridge on the first day asking for nothing but Redstripe and water. I was surprised that our request was not honored. We received the standard refill of two of everything every day.

Restaurant reservations: If you have been to an all-inclusive, you know the standard ala-carte restaurant scam. The Grand is no different - “Sorry, that restaurant is booked. I can get you in at 9:00pm, or I can get you a reservation at the Italian restaurant”. During a 7 day stay, I was unable to get into the Surf and Turf any night before 9:00pm. I even tried to book it in advance of our trip. Fortunately, I was able to pre-book one reservation at the Gourmet restaurant.

Gourmet Restaurant: The lobster thermadore was fantastic. We bribed our way back into this restaurant a second time since reservations were not available. Scrumptous!

Italian: Fancy, but not so good. I may be spoiled as I have better Italian food nearly anyplace I go in or around Chicago. I had the lobster lasagna, which could have been great, but was bland and dry.

Cigar bar: One of our favorite places to stop for a cocktail and a smoke after dinner. The strange thing is that the air conditioning was minimal and ventilation was non-existent.

Lobby bar/patio: We started most evenings here before dinner. Great bartenders. Very nice/casual bar and generally had live music at some point during the evening. The patio just outside of the bar was also a great place to relax with a cocktail.

Disco: Larger, nicer and more upbeat than I have experienced at other Jamaican AIs.
Staff/Liquor: The bartenders, waiters and activities staff were great no matter where we were. Liquor was top shelf. A few of my favorites at every bar were Grey Goose, Absolute, Belvedere, CC, Crown and many varieties of Appleton rum including Estate.

Lunch buffet was always fresh, good and had a wide variety of food. I was surprised with the variety of seafood they served every day. I had crab claws every day, which were always a bit over cooked, but still good. The jerk chicken was pretty good. When available, beef patties were sub-par.

A side note: I was under the impression that wireless internet was free in this hotel. That is only partially true. Internet is free in the lobby/bar area and in the computer room. Wireless in non-existent else ware. In addition, both of my friend’s Verizon phones had no reception (one 3 month old flip-phone, one new blackberry). My ATT android worked fine.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Fort McMurray, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall and had a wonderful experience, with a few exceptions. I will outline the positives we experienced, and then let you know the things we had problems with.
Having stayed at the Iberostar Grand in Punta Cana, I had a pretty good idea of what this hotel would offer, and I was not disappointed. The lobby and lobby bar area is lovely. The rooms are large and well appointed. The beds are incredible, and the cleanliness is second-to-none. For an all-inclusive, the food is excellent as well, much better than at the Grand in Punta Cana. The drinks are delicious, but you have to be sure to indicate that you want rum in your pina coladas etc., or they will not make them with any alcohol. The bartenders in the lobby bar are exceptional. Pool area is lovely, as are the a la carte restaurants. We found the staff mostly very friendly as well. Now for the things we had problems with. First, the butler service is completely useless. These guys do NOTHING!! We asked 3 different butlers to handle some very simple requests--for feather pillows and to customize our mini bar with only Fanta, Coke and Water, and a bottle of Baileys for my husband. Not one of them took care of it, and we had to make a very agitated call to the concierge before it was taken care of. They wander around looking very self-important and accomplish absolutely nothing. We also had a problem with the light on our balcony that was never resolved, even after speaking to the butlers and the concierge. Unfortunately our one experience with room service was a joke. My husband was going golfing one morning, so we placed our breakfast menu card on the door the night before, thinking how lovely it would be to eat breakfast together on our balcony before he left. Breakfast did come at the appointed time, but they forgot the continental breakfast completely, my waffles were stone cold, there was syrup but no butter for them, there was hot water but no tea bags, and the only thing they had gotten right was a small fruit plate. Needless to say, it would have taken far too long for them to make the order right, so my husband went off to the course having not had breakfast at all! We didn't risk ordering from room service again. Spa services are wonderful, but quite expensive by any spa standards that I have seen.
The hotel also offers a free shuttle to the Rose Hall Shops, which is a lovely little shopping center designed for area tourists about 10 minutes away. The shuttle supposedly runs every hour on the hour daily from 10 am to 5 pm., but we discovered that those times are very inconsistent. Also, this shopping center has a bank machine, which can be very handy, as the only one in the hotel complex was at the Iberostar Beach Hotel, and it was out of order while we were there.
Front desk staff was excellent with the exception of Jodea, who was just a very snotty little girl. We found the Star friends to be very nice, but not nearly as visible or hard-working as they are at the Grand in Punta Cana. Also, the evening theatre shows are good, but not nearly the quality of talent that was on staff at the Grand in Punta Cana.
The a la carte restaurants are wonderful, with the exception being the Surf and Turf. We only ate there once, as the food was cold, and the service was less than stellar. Our favorite by far was the Gourmet, with both excellent food and amazing service.
While the beach at the Grand in Jamaica is very nice, it is advisable to bring water shoes, or buy some at the hotel stores before heading into the water. It is fairly rocky right by the shore, and if you have tender feet, it can make for a somewhat unpleasant walk if you haven't got the shoes on.
By and large, our experience at the Grand in Jamaica was lovely. One expects to have a few hiccups along the way, and the ones we experienced certainly didn't ruin our holiday. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to someone, or possibly to return in the future.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

The resort was perfect and the service was out of this world and the star friends were alot of fun especially Sunshine she made us feel like home but with out the snow and Mr cool was alot of fun to be around .Our vacation started on the right foot they upgraded us to the grand and we were treated like kings and Queens. We would like to thanks Sunshine for us we think she did more then her job to make us feel comfortable during our stay in jamaica. yaman From: Suzanne&Maurice Brigitte&Luc Louise&Marc

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Just stayed at the grand rose hotel with my girlfriend for 8 days. Pros- outstanding service, food, and got a free upgrade. Cons- tipped butler 5 bucks first day and never saw him again, mini bar was replenished only after a few calls, not automatically. So to get waters , I constantly had to call throughout our vacation. The drain was also clogged in the shower but got fixed immediately. Overall, amazing service

• Stayed February 2011
Port Hawkesbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

We have just returned from a 7 day stay at the Grand in Montego Bay and we cannot say enough about the entire experience.The service,the food,the suite,the beach and the facilities were all first rate.We have travelled to many countries and have never found hotel staff who can make you feel so welcome as a visitor to their country.We loved our trip to Jamaica and hope to return sometime.We are glad that we chose Jamaica and the Iberostar Grand as the place to celebrate my wife's 60th birthday.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

OK, I will say it just like I have heard it said before, I don't usually like all inclusive hotels but.............this one was great. There are 3 properties and I can tell you by personal experience that the Grand is the by far and away the best of the 3. If you can spend a little more, go for it because it is worth every penny. The food is much better, the rooms are much better the, entertainment is much better and the booze is much better. The service and the staff are all fantastic people. They make sure that you, and especially your teenagers stay entertained and have a great time. The restaurants were all beautifully decorated and the food was good enough. Perhaps not Ritz Carlton good, but considering that when you check out the bill is $0, it tastes even better. I would go back to this resort, in fact most of the people we met were back for a second or third time. My 18 year old son had a great time and wants to go back. Hope you like Canadians, because the place is little Canada. They were all wonderful! This is one of the best value vacations we have ever had.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall? Share your experiences!