“Yeah Mon!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

You added Iberostar Grand Rose Hall to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Road | Little River, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
New York
“Yeah Mon!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Where do I begin. I literally just returned home from this awesome place. My boyfriend and I stayed for 4 days and we honestly wished that we could have stayed longer. The decor was beautiful, eclectic but beautiful. Iberostar has 3 resorts on its property and the GRAND is absolutely and positively the best. We had an ocean view suite on the top floor (room 5416) and the views were breathtaking. The room decor was beautiful and the bathroom was every couple's fantasy (separate vanities). There was concierge and "butler" service (more on that later) for every suite. There were several restaurants to choose from and a nightly themed show full of interesting and colorful performances. The grand in particular also has a free internet room, a cigar lounge and a nightclub with a pretty good DJ. Overall I have no major complaints but I do have some advice for future guest:

1. The carpet situation: Yes there are some stains on the carpet which is a bit weird but the hallways are always kept tidy and clean.
2. One complaint that I had is that the butler service makes no sense because your butlers change throughout the day and you may tip one and never see him again. So just be conscience of that. The concierge is much better and will tend to all needs a lot faster than the butlers.
3. ON THE DAY OF ARRIVAL MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR THE RESTAURANTS FOR YOUR ENTIRE TRIP. If you do not heed this warning you may be left without a reservation even though the restaurant is 60% empty. Also be aware that not all restaurants are open every night so plan accordingly.
4. Lunch is buffet style and outside near the pool. (Beware the pasta salads because they are not placed on ice and are in fact outside). The rest of the food is tasty and often has many selections of Jamaican cuisine.
5. The pools and the beach are fantastic!!!!!!
6. Attempt to hire a private driver for all excursions (book in advance) because they can get quite pricy at the hotel. Here the internet will be your friend. Try the zip-line and bobsled I promise you will LOVE it.
7. If you want to buy alcohol avoid the shops in Jamaica at all cost because alcohol is 50% cheaper in the airport. (We learned the hard way)
8. The shows are so so and the club is actually really good.
9. Bartenders are great so don't be afraid to tip well.
10. Last but not least have FUN because this place is FABULOUS.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Polish first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I have vacationed at five different all-inclusive resorts and I must admit that the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall is best in all categories. The staff, including butlers, concierge, masseuse, chefs, waiters and especially the housekeeping members was superb!!!! They were very cordial and attended to my every wish and need. The facility is beautiful with very spacious rooms. The food in the four gourmet restaurants was presented well and delicious. I must commend the Iberostar staff for maintaining a comfortable temperature in the restaurants. Usually, the temperature in restaurants is very cold. I can't forget to mention that the water was spectacular!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

We arrived at this hotel with great expectations because we were told this hotel was the crown jewel of the Iberostar hotel complex in Montego Bay but at the end, we were quite disappointed.
First the pluses: The suite was nice, roomy and clean and the bed was also comfortable.
The staff were friendly but not very competent. On Saturday at 8:30 AM we received a call from the receptionist (waking us up) asking for a copy of our reservation voucher that shee needed for bookkeeping purposes - hardly an urgent matter to awake your vacationing guests on an early Saturday morning!!! Although they advertise "all inclusive" including the room service, when we called in for some chocolate, we were told that chocolate was not included and a plate of it would cost us $40 USD! Then we settled for a piece of chocolate cake as a part of "all inclusive package" but the cake never arrived either!

The staff, although for the most part nice, seemed mostly between undercompetent and incometent. The food quality varied between poor to decent depending on the restaurant. At check out, we were told to leave our bags in the room to be picked up by the bell boy but it took almost 40 minutes for them to bring our luggage to the lobby. I must add that the hotel was at 10% occupancy, so I hate to imagine how they would operate when they are busy. I had never been apologized to so many times ina span of 3 days which I suppose was a good indication of the staffs' politeness does not make up for poor service. I will not go back to this hotel again. At the price they charge, you can stay almost at any luxury resort including the Ritz Carlton.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Iberostar Aug. 4-9th. Let me say this resort is beautiful. The grounds are well kept, the rooms are clean and very spacious. The food at the morning buffet got a little old being as though they serve the same thing everyday. The resturants were good except for Gourmet the portions were small. Our favorite was good old fashion room service! From the bars (shout out to Morris!) to the service this place is wonderful. Now, here's the "But". One morning my husband and I wanted to enjoy our balcony to have breakfast only to find the people next door to us were smoking marijuana. We even got a phone call from our butler asking us did we get the "package" he left for us. When we told him we did not know what his was talking about he said he would come to our room. I guess he realized he called the room because he never showed up. After putting up with the smell of "illegal narcotics" for hours we called the night manager. Upon arriving to our room and smelling it for herslf she said, "Well, technically they are on "their" balcony and they have the do not disturb sign on the door so there's nothing I can do." Nothing you can do? Really? Well, that didn't last long. She graciously upgraded us to an oceanfront room located on the other side of the building. We also received a "Sorry for the inconvenience" letter from management. All and all we still had a wonderful vacay. We will not be returning only because we like to explore other options but I would definately recommend this hotel.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

My wife and I had recently stayed here for a week on our honeymoon. It was our first time in Jamaica and a very pleasurable experience. From check in, we were greeted with Momosa's and a cold towels and felt like we were celebrities. The staff is extremely kind and caters to your every need. Dwayne was out butler and I would recommend requesting him if you do decide to stay at this hotel. He makes sure that you are comfortable at all times and goes out of his way to satisfy his guests. Raneish and Omar were also very good as they rotated shifts.

All of the restaurants have world class food and fantastic presentation. The infinity pools are very clean and the pool bartenders are friendly and very entertaining. Lobster for lunch buffet also was very impressive.

We intend to stay here again and can not wait to return. I would recommend this resort to anyone who is going to Jamaica.

Douglaston, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I've been to a few different islands in the Caribbean and I would go back to any of them except to Montego Bay Jamaica. It did not feel safe. In fact, I read the local newspaper that was delivered every morning at the hotel and it said 970 people killed on the island just this year. Don't expect to be able to walk out of the hotel property for a stroll or to do some shopping like for example in Cancun, Mexico. There are no shops or restaurants within walking distance and there are no sidewalks, and everything in sight looks so run down and just very unsafe. The entrance to the hotel is heavily gated and secured by guards. Within the resort however, there are no safety issues. All the employees are friendly and we were greeted by almost every staff that we walked past. We were approached by some locals on their canoe or just wading in water offering to sell us souvenirs etc but you just have to say no thanks and they leave you alone.

The hotel itself is great. What stood out for me was the cleanliness. I saw some stains on the carpets that the other travelers complained about but I really didn't think it was a big deal. Maybe our floor was one of the better floors in terms of carpeting, I don't know. We were in room 5225 under "beach view" category and we could see both the pool and the beach. The bathroom was very spacious. My husband and I both loved the separate closet area in the hallway as well as the huge balcony with a swing. The rooms are functional and well though-out. For example the balcony even had a pull out drying rack to dry your clothes.

We ordered room service almost every day. It came promptly within about 30-40 minutes. We didn't need the butler service much but he was available whenever we needed him.

We tried the Japanese restaurant the first night and it was pretty bad so we ate at the buffet for dinners the rest of the time. Maybe we shouldn't have tried Japanese at a Caribbean resort but I thought maybe they'd have fresh fish. The salmon sashimi we ordered for appetizer looked like it was steamed. The hibachi chef did not put on a performance like she's supposed to. Actually she tried to throw shrimp into this guy's mouth and all 3 tries she missed. I ordered shrimp and steak hibachi and my husband got lobster hibachi. It tasted ok but it was SO salty. The fried banana dessert was the best thing we ate at that restaurant. Buffet lunches and dinners were pretty good. They try to switch up the menu. Breakfast buffet is almost the same every morning. One of the afternoons they offered beach bbq for lunch and that was fantastic. We ate lunch around noon, swam around, and then ate lunch again that day because it was so good. Jerk chicken is delicious and it was sweet to be able to eat real Jamaican beef patties in Jamaica. Overall the food isn't 5 or even 4 stars (except for the authentic Jamaican stuff they serve up) but it's certainly not bad if you're there to enjoy the sun and the beach.

Beach was nice. Practically no waves. The water was more green than blue but it was clear and warm. Snorkeling on the hotel properties isn't great. All we saw were grey and sand-colored fish. There was quite a bit of seaweed by the shore and also floating in the waters. I've seen better beaches, for example in Anguilla, but Montego Bay beach isn't bad just to relax in. Hotel provides awesome beds and lounge chairs and as many towels as you want. No need to show them your room key or anything like the other resorts. I've always found that annoying. The pools are nice, too. It would've been better if they were all connected somehow, though. You have to walk out of one in order to get to the next one with the pool bar.

For the cab we paid $40 from the airport to the hotel. We didn't book anything in advance. We just grabbed one when we got there. For the way back to the airport we paid $35. That was booked by the bell staff. It's only 15 minutes btwn the hotel and the airport so I thought $35-$40 was way overpriced. Overall I felt everything was overpriced in Montego Bay, considering it's such a poor area. On a side note, the airport is small and not much offered for souvenir and duty free shopping. Not much places to grab a bite to eat before you board, either. We ate at Margaritaville and the only other place in the airport besides that we saw was Dominos.

The hotel is great but we feel that there would've been much better destinations for the amount of money we spent ($2100 for 3 nights/4 days incl. RT nonstop air from JFK.)

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

There is a short ride from the airport to the Iberostar properties, and we received very courteous service from Jamaica Tours transportation. Upon arrival, the women in reception were not very welcoming, but the delicious tropical drink and cold towel that were brought to us were a nice touch.

There are stains on the hallway carpets as mentioned countless times in other reviews. And yes, they do look disgusting. Inside our rooms, there were cracks in both of our bathroom sinks, one closet door was very hard to open and we had a safe that malfunctioned on 3 occasions. The shower is large and it would have been nice if there was a bench to sit on or some additional shelves to lay personal shampoo and soap. Not perfect- but nothing terrible. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and spacious.

The food was average in quality but elegantly displayed and served. The lobby bar served wonderful drinks after dinner and the overall atmosphere was relaxing.

The pools are a bit odd as they are next to but separate from each other. You must walk out of one pool to get into another. Be careful when stepping into the pools because the steps are slippery.

There are comfortable beds around the pool, but you need to get down there early to claim your spot. You can also get a raft if you get down to the towel concierge early enough. The beach has a large area cleared of seaweed for swimming, but I detected an unpleasant odor in the water. There are also many ripped lounge chairs on the beach, which is not what you would expect from a "five star" property.

Overall, with the exception of the reception staff, everyone treated us with much respect and regard. This was an outstanding feature.

We met guests that were given a free upgrade from the Suites to the Grand. While this might be a nice surprise for the people who pay the Suites' price, it doesn't make people like me happy to have paid the Grand price only to wind up with the same vacation. Other reviewers have made this same complaint and I experienced this first hand.

While there are positives which I have mentioned, I don't think I would return because I want a fair value when booking a trip. I really wouldn't feel comfortable booking the Grand and wondering if I could have paid a lot less by booking the Suites. I would rather book somewhere else that plays fair without any games.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall? Share your experiences!