“We will go back.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

You added Iberostar Grand Rose Hall to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Road | Little River, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
PA
“We will go back.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

My husand and I have stayed at various adults only resorts.

My husband and I stayed at the Grand last June. We decided to go back this April. The hotel met all our expectations.

We ate at the Japanese, Surf 'n Turf and the buffet. The food was good at all 3 restaurants. We liked the Japanese restaurant the best. I must say that I wasn't over impressed with the lunch buffet. The food was fine, but the open air did bring in a lot of bugs.

The pool bar service was hit or miss.

We did have EXCELLENT service on the beach. Kennesha Wallace is AWESOME! (thanks Kennesha from the Bud Light couple) She was there each day with a smile and she would even bring us our drinks prior to ordering.

We will be going back to the Grand next April.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,175)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We visited the Grand the week of May 30th. This is our second time to the resort and after this visit we can not think of staying anywhere else. We did not want for a thing our whole visit. We found everyone to be more than pleasant and to go the extra mile for anything we asked from the front desk person to the waitress on the beach. We were surprised to see many of the same friendly faces from our trip last May. And to our surprise so many people remembered us and made us feel like we were coming home to family. One difference this trip is the butlers were more visible, after all you are at the pool most of the day or the beach, so when people review and say they never saw their butler except for the first day that is no longer true. The butlers make a point of finding you at the pool or the beach to re-connect and see if there is anything they can do to make your trip more pleasant. We met so many butlers this trip and a few we will never forget, Malcolm, Ryan, Reneish they made our stay so much more. Also the entertainment staff was more visible and Dillon is a great asset to the star friends! Daisy makes a mean omelets every morning and Camille always had a smile waiting on us for lunch…Keenisha was always checking if we needed drinks on the beach and went out of her way to make sure we didn’t want for anything….I could go on and on.. I did not want to go home, around Wednesday I started getting depressed that we were going to have to leave on Sunday. The first thing I did this morning was to check the prices for our next trip hopefully in November. Also during this trip I did get a chance to see Secrets Wild Orchid and Secrets St. James as we made a stop during an excursion and the people were not ready so we had a chance to get off the bus and tour the property and talk to some of the guests. It is a beautiful resort after all it is new, needs time for the plantings to mature though like any new resort. It is more open air than the Iberostar…they have a shopping area similar the the Grand Lido Braco on the Wild Orchid side…after visiting and seeing the property and talking to the guests I was so happy to be staying at the Iberostar. While at the Iberostar we ran into some people who asked to be transferred from Secrets and were happy they did. The Iberostar Grand is a beautiful place but it is the people and the service that they provide that makes the place. If anyone has any questions please feel free to e-mail me I will be happy to answer them for you.

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

The location was very close the airport, and probably would have only taken us around 20-25 minutes from airport to hotel, but our bus had a slight problem and was going very slow (the bus had nothing to do with the hotel or my review). Upon reaching the hotel we were warmly greeted and ushered to the front desk, where we were given a drink. We began the check in process and unfortunately our name was not in their system. I had my voucher and showed them my reservation. We feared the worst, but our fears were laid to rest instantly. They had room keys to us in less than 5 minutes. That was the only problem (which didn't end up being a problem) on the entire vacation.
The room was great. Beds were comfortable and you have a pillow menu for those who like some variety. My wife and I found the pillows in the room to be very comfortable. There was a nice balcony area with a swing chair which was a cool place to read a book. My wife enjoyed the jacuzzi tub, though when you put the jets on in the tub, it sounds like you are next to a plane getting ready to take off. But, you only need to use this briefly to make your bath very bubbly. One very impressive thing my wife and I noticed was how quickly they made up the rooms after we left. If we went to breakfast and returned to our room after about 30-45 minutes, our rooms were made up. The same is true for the turn down service in the evening.
The staff was super friendly. I don't think we walked by a person who did not greet us and ask us how our stay was going. Our butler, Dennis, was great and would try to find us or call us each day to see if he could do anything for us.
They had shows each night which my wife and I found to be entertaining. This isn't Vegas, so we didn't expect a Vegas like show, but the singers and dancers did a real good job with their performances.
We enjoyed the restaurants very much. The buffet offered a good variety of food and at the lunch buffet I found myself eating more of the Jamaican style meals. They tasted great. The only restaurant we did not try at the Grand Hotel was the Italian spot. We talked with several other couples and most recommended not going there, so we didn't. But the Gourmet, Surf and Turf, and Japanese were all great. The Japanese was our favorite. We also went over to the Suites and had Mexican over there and it was very good. Dinners took about and hour and a half. We found that to be a nice pace.
One of the best things about our stay was that everyone was so friendly. This includes staff and other guests. The pool bar was a great place to meet and talk with people.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This place is paradise and if you cannot be happy here, then you should not go to any all inclusive resort. My wife and I are returning guests. Last year we were headed to Mexico, but, were redirected to this resort due to the swine flu outbreak. We returned to this place this year because it is outstanding.

We were told by a local that once you come to Jamaica three times, you are a Ja-merican. Well I can guarantee that my wife and I will be back, perhaps this year, but absolutely next year and will stay at this resort.

Before I get to into this review, I wanted to mention some of the great people that met during our stay. Hello to Carla, Ben, Rachel & Alex. I hope that you made it home with the eagle. Hello to Nat & Andrew. We hope that newly married life is all that you hoped that it would be. Hello to Donna & Brian. I can’t watch the Sopranos and not think of you two. Hello to the sisters, Suzy, Lynette & Irene who were having fun all week long. We had a great time with everyone we met.

We were here April 22nd- April 29th. The weather was perfect, the rooms were great, and the view was amazing. But, for my wife and I, what sets this resort apart from so many that we have been to, is the staff. Most of the staff remembered us from last year. (hugs and handshakes were everywhere.)

As returning guest, we were treated even better than our first trip. (which we didn't think was possible) Thanks especially to Sara and Angelie that ensured that our arrival went seamlessly. Thanks also to Elsa and Jordane. Elsa and the butler escorted us to our room and made certain that everything was to our satisfaction. Angelie, Sara and Elsa checked on us throughout our stay to make sure that everything was going well. They must have had a profile as to what we liked to drink on our last visit because our refrigerator was stocked with those items. WOW. That is customer service.

Our butlers, Omar, Wheeler & Dwayne were kind and accommodating. They ran a bath for my wife twice and decorated for her birthday as I requested. Just remember that they do not know what you want, so tell them. If you want your butler around more, they will be. If you don’t, just let them know.

The concierge service is fantastic. Hello to Tacia, Connesha, Renee & Canille. These ladies keep everything running smoothly and have a smile doing it. They have a desk by the elevator and will make sure that things are right, just tell them your requests.

Our star friend from last year, Makari, saw me and immediately remembered the fun we had last visit. He was just as entertaining this year as last. (thanks for the basketball game) We enjoyed talking with him and the other star friends that we met this year. Hi Stacey & Rackel. (thanks for the dance lessons. we'll practice for next year.) They go out of their way to make your stay fun.

The pool bar, which is our favorite, was sensational. Hi from Mr. & Mrs. Independence. We were thrilled that Morris was back behind the bar (we had heard that he left and came back). He is a true asset to your staff. He is funny, entertaining, makes great drinks and manages to make you feel like a friend. Morris, Garth & Jerry took care of us all week making us a variety of drinks. We had many great conversations with them all. We missed having Clive at the pool bar, like last year, but he is now a great asset to your lobby bar. Nordia and Kennesha (pool/beach servers) were just as awesome this year as they were last year. Kennesha saw me heading to the lunch restaurant the first day and ran up and gave me a hug. It’s nice to be remembered by the staff that we met last year.

Garcia waited on us every day for lunch. He took great care of us. I may have forgotten some people (but, you should get the point) the staff is what truly sets this resort apart from others we have visited.

This resort is beautiful, the food is outstanding for an all inclusive resort, and the rooms are comfortable, clean and have an amazing deck with a patio swing and couch. The hotel has a cozy layout which makes it real easy to navigate. The pools and beach are great. But it is the staff that Mr. Lopez has assembled, that will make us return guests again. This place is paradise. Relax. Enjoy. No problem, Mon. If you cannot have a great time here, nothing will make you happy.

*Note. This is not a negative because you cannot help nature. But the mosquitoes were out in force by 7:00p.m. Not sure if they can spray for them or perhaps it was just the time of year. But, you might want to bring a can of repellant or buy it at the hotel store. Also, as I wrote in my review last year, the only other suggestion to management that I could make is perhaps having a Jamaican band with steel drums onsite for the guests to enjoy. It would be a nice touch to have a little Jamaica flair. Also, another small outside bar (not in the pool) would be nice. Just observations from returning guests.

In summary, this place is clean, well kept, very well staffed and excellently managed. Enjoy Jamaica and get to know the staff. They are truly exceptional. We will be back to the grand very soon. It became our new favorite vacation spot last year. This year we knew it would be incredible and we look forward to our next visit. We miss it already. I am drinking Red Stripe at home to remind me of our paradise.

Iberostar Grand Rose Hall is the best. I would give this place ten stars, but it only let me put five.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We just returned from a 7 day stay. We have stayed at other adults only resorts such as Couples and Excellence. In comparison, here is what we liked and did not like about Iberostar:
Accommodations were great. The room was large, clean and the patio and swing are nice as well. Their response to any issue in the room was quick and timely and done correct the first time. The pillow menu was wonderful and I love the fact that the air conditioner worked well. The room was very sanitary and I saw no bugs. The bed was comfortable. I didn't see any issues with the carpet in or out the rooms. The hallways and the rooms smelled great to me. They use a coconut/tropical oil with tea-lights and I loved the smell.
Food: This needs a lot of work. Yes, they do have high quality foods like shrimp and lobster. The downside is this. The lunchtime buffet is always at the same restaurant which is open air. This means flies come in and get all over the food and the plates. It's gross. You have to get there early and hope you beat the flies, or you order room service and the same food is not on room service menu. Not cool. The other problem is that there are only 2 restaurants open and the reservations fill up quickly. If you don't get into a restaurant, you are eating buffet for dinner at an indoor place and the food is nearly identical to what was served at lunch. There is a wide selection and the only improvement is at least at night, it's at an indoor place so you are not fighting flies.
The surf & turf, and Japanese are good options if you can get reservations. The italian has great appetizers and deserts but the entrees are not that great.
My husband is a diabetic and I have eating restrictions so we found the resort didn't have a lot of healthy choices on room service menu and wasn't that accommodating in making special requests. We found ourselves ordering multiple plates and then picking items off of each meal to form something we could eat.
I can confirm the concierge can be argumentative and rude. We had a similar problem with a special tub setup request. We specifically asked for it to be done by 8, got back to the room and it wasn't done. Rather than apologize and fix it, we were told they thought we didn't want them to start setting up until 8, which they still missed because at the time we called it was 8:10. The butler finally came and apologized and corrected the matter.
We had a lot of contact with the butlers. Because our trip spanned two different weeks, we had one butler for about 3 days, and the remaining 4 days we had 3 other butlers. They were always good and helpful. After reading other reviews, I have to wonder if the butlers go where the tips are. We didn't tip large amounts but I usually slipped them 2 to 3 bucks depending on what task they had done that day. I didn't think they came too often. They showed up usually once in the morning after breakfast, and again in the evening before dinner. One time they found us at the pool and asked if they could help us with anything. It was a nice touch. I think the butlers should cross train the concierges on customer service.
The reservation situation is a HUGE problem. We have never been to a 5 star with this problem before. The day we showed up to the resort is was about 11 on a Friday. We were told that all the restaurants were booked up for that day and the next day. The only open slot on Sunday was at 9:00 pm. My husband is a diabetic and a 9 pm mealtime does not work for him. The only option was the buffet. Had we not been staying 7 days, we would not have gotten into one of the restaurants. For what you pay to stay at a resort of that quality, you shouldn't have to beg for a restaurant reservation for a restaurant that is 1/2 full when you get there. I don't get it. For the record, other resorts we have been to do not have this problem.
Entertainment: the shows are kind of amateur and corny. Other resorts we have been to have had better shows and even staff run shows have more audience involvement and participation/fun. These just seem to be kinda going through the motions.
Pool bar staff is excellent: Jerry, Morris, Tadian, they are all great.
Pool: There were always plenty of places to lay out near the pool, there were no issues there.
upkeep: Upkeep around the pool, grounds, beach was lacking. We have been to other resorts where there seems to be a night shift that cleans the pool, beach, grounds while the guests sleep,. They don't have that at Iberostar. In fact, I only saw people cleaning up the pool area/grounds on 1 day during our 7 day stay. There was one day in particular when I noticed someone left a dirty drink glass on a shelf in the pool area in the center of the pool and it was 2 days before it was removed. One day a storm hit and all sorts of trash washed up onto the beach and in the water and no one from the resort was cleaning it up immediately. There were plastic bottles, light bulbs, all sorts of trash that has washed in from upstream, it was gross. I was disappointed that it wasn't addressed immediately. It was finally cleaned up by the next day but at other resorts, this would have been an issue of high importance.
Arrival drinks and towels: We got drinks, but we did not get towels. The staff at check in was polite but not particularly welcoming. Again, I think they should have the butlers train these people. I don't think they are intentionally rude, I just think they don't know any better.
Gym: it's a nice quality gym, small but great life-cycle equipment. Oddly, they don't have ceiling fans and they air conditioning is not working great. Our first day it was quite humid in there. I was told they are getting the system worked on and have plans to install ceiling fans. We worked out 6 of our 7 days and most mornings it was kind of cool, a few days it was plain hot. I get the feeling that if they turned the air on earlier before starting, it would fix the problem. They need to work on that issue.
Spa: Prices were reasonable and the massage was great. You can use the sauna, steam-room and roman baths for free and they are great also.
Shopping area: a bit overpriced so we didn't purchase anything there. You'd be better off going on a shopping excursion and haggling at an open market.
internet: There is no wireless but if you are a geek like my hubby and i , you can set up your own quickly. If not, just use the computer room, or wireless in the lobby or the wired in your room. It's not too fast, but it works.
For us, the meal /dinner reservation situation and the customer service left us feeling like this is not a place we would want to return. We did have a great week, but for the money, we'd rather spend it on another Chain that we know offers better customer service and meal time flexibility.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

First I must say this was my second time staying at this hotel. My husband and I stayed there last June and couldn't wait to return. I had nothing negative to say then but I didn't bother to write a review. I decided to write a review on each vacation since then so now here is my review as a return visitor to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay. The place is beautiful. Because we were a return guest we were upgraded to an ocean front room. It was beautiful and a nice gesture to say the least. I think we ended up with one of the nicest rooms in the hotel. The first night we returned to the room, we were greeted with champagne. It made me feel very welcome. Nice customer service!
The pool and the beach were magnificent. Water temperatures perfect (I hate cold water) to the point where you can just walk right in. No need to get used to the water first. You can take dry towels whenever you need one. There are no limits on the number of towels you can have and they never run out. There are plenty of chairs by the pool and at the beach. Some people go down early and save some prime spots. I went to the pool each morning at 7:30 and only a few were saved already. After breakfast at 9-9:30 am there were still plenty of spots available. Even as people came late in the day they could find a spot to lounge by the pool and beach.
Drinks in abundance - whatever you want, whenever you want a drink. Buffet breakfast had anything you could want for breakfast and more. The lunch buffet is something to look forward to each day. The food is excellent. Any one from a meat lover, to a fish lover, to a vegetarian can find plenty to eat at lunch. Dinner offers 4 ala carte restaurants - Japanese, French, Italian, and Surf and Turf. There is also a dinner buffet restaurant. All offer good food but the surf and turf is the best in my opinion. Many people in previous reviews did not like the Italian but I found it to be very good which I must say I did not like my first time there last year. I felt this time it was very good. I have absolutely no complaints about the food and drink.
The people who work at the hotel are very accommodating. They are very nice and friendly. They offer assistance as needed. If you do not ask they will not intrude on your privacy. They are constantly cleaning and maintaining the property.
There are nightly shows which are entertaining if you are not expecting professional performances. Each night at the bar in the lobby there are also performers which are very good. There are some slot machines which they did not have last year. They are open until 3 am.
All in all I highly recommend this hotel. The only negative thing I can say this time that I couldn't say last year is that it needs some repair work. The pools are missing some tiles and some of the cement work is beginning to show signs of wear and tear. The carpeting in the halls are somewhat stained in spots where people throw their room service dishes when they are finished. These are minor issues in my opinion.

York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Stayed at Grand from May 19-29. Here is the scoop:
Pros - Greeted with mimosa and checked in promptly at 11am upon arrival. Butler service was great - Wheeler and Avienne(not sure how to spell his name). Bellhop brought bags up to the room. Beds extremely comfortable and with the 3 layer of curtains, provided for a great sleeping environment. Had a bedside book light for reading. Turn-down service nightly while you're at your dinner reservation was great. Bathrooms were huge with built in jacuzzi tub and for two opposite sinks provided ample room to get ready. In room minibar had top shelf liquor and butler ensured that it was filled the following days with what we initially asked to have it filled with. Flat screen, wide range of tv channels, iPod alarm clock, free internet and chaise lounge provided relaxing comfort in-room. The 4 pools were warm and treated regularly. Poolside bar provided great drinks. Racquel, whenever she worked poolside made sure we always had plenty to drink and recommended dreamy drink called Jamaican Smile (creamy, cold, sweet, strawberry) - she also works in the fitness area. Fitness area had a wide selection of equipment with custom made smoothies of your choice. Staying at Grand provided access to other two adjoining resorts -Suites (great for families) & Beach (great for spring breakers) which is the impression we got after utilizing their pool and entertainment amenities. El Palau (Gourmet restaurant) was very good especially coffee flambe dessert (not on menu). Wine tasting on a certain day by the pool provided a great way to try out wines..our fav was Augustus Lieblich (not avail at the Suites or Beach). Try all the restaurants at all 3 resorts if you can but big standouts are two Gourmet restaurants. Surf and Turf restaurant's baked ice cream was heavenly. Calabash (gourmet restaurant at the Suites) was phenomenal - loved the lamb ribs -not usually a fan of lamb but WOW - if we were staying there longer we would have reserved this restaurant more than the two times that we did (each time having the lamb ribs). The beach bar-b-que lunch (only on certain days) was our first time trying curry goat which was good. Definitely try the national Jamaican dish which is ackee and saltfish (when in rome or in this case Jamaica, mon) Lobster and stone crab claws available at the buffets. 24 Hour room service. Snorkeling at the rocks near the buoys between the Suites and Grand had lots of fish, stingray and we even saw a baby shark that they transplanted to a different area to provide for safe swimming - we packed our own snorkeling gear. Shuttle service to The Shops at Rose Hall (lots of jewelery stores and souvenirs) left every hr til 6pm. Canopy poolside and beach loungers provided for shade relaxing. Was there for a friends wedding and the wedding service was nice- not beachside since it rained. Shows nightly at 10pm and dancing at the Discotheque (at the Suites). Quiet atmosphere overall and lobby bar kept the drinks flowing. Truly top shelf liquor available at all bars at the Grand only. Free voucher for round of golf for two at resort owned, Cinnamon Hills Golf Course (not advertised anywhere we later found out so you have to ask).
Cons - Not enough canopy lounges at pool and beach so have to get there early to get one. Rained almost every afternoon except 2 days around 1pm sometimes downpour. Mosquitoes after about 5pm can get bad. Calling for concierge was difficult at times. Hallway carpet was stained badly in some places but didn't experience any funky smells. The reservation required restaurants were odd because they were only half filled but can be difficult to get reservations to..not sure about this method to the madness. Only 1 ATM (at Beach) that dispenses US $. Food at the buffet got repetitive. Red Stripe (jamaican beer) in the bottle is only available in your room mini-bar. Friends only allowed to check out snorkel gear for an hour. Wedding party said the onsite photography for the wedding was not good. We booked our Bob Marley and Dunns River Falls excursion through Tropical Tours (onsite) which ended up working out after Patricia straighten out the mistake of our booking being left off on the daily pick-up.
Tips - Definitely on your first day, make reservations for your evening dining for whatever nights you don't want the buffet. Tips are not necessary but always will help with getting that extra pep in the step.
We booked our trip in March through cheapcaribbean.com and two weeks prior to our departure - I found out that we could have saved $900 if we could've waited til then but after reviewing their cancellation policy it would not be a cost effective. Might be something to consider if you don't have a wedding or any commitment on the timing.
Overall...the hotel was very nice and we would definitely come back and stay here again for a quiet Adults Only all inclusive stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall? Share your experiences!