“Morrisville is the place to be!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Rose Hall to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rose Hall, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Rose Hall
kansas city
“Morrisville is the place to be!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

stayed 4/27/09 - 5/2/09

The good:
The rooms and hotel were very, very clean. The beds are sooo comfortable, along with the different pillows.

The food was good to very good.

The service was great, except for the butler service. Room service was great. Never received a cold meal and it was to the room quickly. Mini bar was re-filled as soon as we asked and with what we wanted.

The beach, pools, and dance club were nice.

The location is great if you do not plan on leaving the resort. Hotel is only 20 minutes from airport. Otherwise, a ride of 30 minutes to 2 hours is required, depending on what you want to do.

The bad:
The butler service is not what they portray, as the previous reviewers stated. Saw him twice and he didn't follow up on a few simple requests we had. The resort just started getting more patrons, so I think he was getting too busy.

Hopefully the service will be able to keep up with the increasing number of patrons. This is my biggest concern. As our stay progressed, so did the patrons, and therefor some of the staff started to appear a little flustered.

Enjoyed our time and would still recommend to friends.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

3,378 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,021)
  • Polish first
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

We arrived May 1 and were pleasantly surprised. We had originally planned a vacation to Mexico and with the swine flu outbreak we had to change plans at the last minute. For a last minute decision, our vacation was fabulous. We had stayed at an Iberostar Resort twice before in Mexico but it had been about 6 years since our Iberostar experience. We had forgotten how good it can be.
Our room was beautiful and plush. The beds are extra comfy, and the balcony swing was nice. The bathroom was large with nice towels, robes, and slippers.
Our mini bar was filled daily. Chocolates were delivered to our room every night as requested. We had turn down service nightly as well.
We had only seen our butler on our first day but that was fine with us. We are easy to please and like to do things ourselves.
One night we requested a bottle of wine, and in 15 minutes it was delivered to our room, all iced down with glasses. Perfect.
Sunscreen and books are available for use at the towel hut.
Lobster was cooked for lunch daily at the beach side grill.
It was quiet during the day and we always got a beach bed.
We went next door to the Suites for breakfast and nightlife. Both are better there.
Sunsets from the balcony and pool were great.
We had a great vacation and we love Iberostar. Adults only is the way to go. We will be back to an Iberostar Grand in the future.
Just wanted to say Hey to Ligia and Chris!! We had fun at the pool and the disco! Keep in touch.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

I have been a travel agent for more than 20 years. This was my first experience staying at an Iberostar. I loved the resort even with its few kinks. They opened a new wing because the hotel was fully occupied. IThere was no feeling of being crowded.
It does need to work out kinks with the butlers and room service.My room service waiter went to the wrong tower. Other then that it was great. I loved that cabanas were numerous without any additional charge,complimentary WIFI and 4 computers in the game room,complimentary bottled liquor delivered to the room when ordered and no surcharge for exercise classes.No baskets in the room with snacks for an additional charge. I mention that only because I did hotel inspections at other all inclusives during my recent stay.
My group had no problems getting reservations at the restaurants. Although breakfast and lunch are buffets the restaurant also offers a menu. I also noticed other guests giving their waiter their order to get their food from the buffet.Tip when ordering steaks order 1 step lower. Their medium is well done so order medium rare if you like it pink. Lobster for those who like is available at all meals.

• Stayed April 2009
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Lets start by saying that I am a middle class average person.I was a little nervous about this resort because I did not know what to expect from a 5 star resort.I wasn't sure what a butler did or if i would like the food .I have to say that most of the reviews are right on.The butler service is definitely way over rated.He came to our room the first day and then we never saw him again. It never bothered me though because I am use to doing things for myself anyway.
The food depends on your taste. I personally was not that impressed.Don't get me wrong,as we never went hungry but the buffets have a lot of weird looking stuff on it and they do not list what it is so you have no clue as to what to try.We liked the Suites lunch buffet better.For us it had more items that we liked.The breakfast buffet was fine.A Lot of weird stuff also but plenty of normal breakfast items. There Orange Juice is OMG Wonderful! Our favorite restaurant was the Japanese.Now to me that was good food!
Top notch alcohol! You will have no problem with watered down drinks here.
The rooms were great.There beds are wonderful.We never had any problems.We never ran out of towels or washcloths.The maids do a great job.Our room was always spotless. There balconies are awesome.We loved the swinging chair.
Pools were wonderful.I dont know why so many people complain but I did not think that the pools were to cold.It is a little chilly when you first get in but your body adjusts fast.There is not a lot of activity by the pools here so if you want a lot of activities then you need to walk over to the Suites.
To me the beach was fine.Not powdery white sand but it was still beautiful.When you live in Illinois any beach is beautiful.
Staff is excellent.Everyone is super duper friendly.I emailed the manager before we came and ask her if we didn't like the view from a ROH room after we saw if we could pay the difference and upgrade. She said no problem.When we checked in we were upgraded to an Ocean Front room.That was so nice of them.They won we over on that one!
My only complaint would be the tipping(Sandals has it right on the policy of no tipping allowed) I always had to make sure that I had cash on me to tip.You tip from the moment you walk in the door .Doorman, bellhop,butler,day maids,turn down service,refrigerator stocker, waiters,bartenders, and so on. I would much rather pay a little more for my trip(so that they could pay there employees more) and not have to deal with it all the time.I know that you dont have to tip but lets be real.It is expected.
All in all I loved this resort and would return in a heartbeat.It was wonderful to be able to use the other 2 resorts also.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
oakville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

We stayed at this Hotel from April 17 to 24. At arrival time our room wasnt ready, even thought we were told later the hotel was only at 30% capacity. Butler....what Butler???? we saw him once when we got our room, I guess he came in for the tip, never saw him again. The concierge was useless, if you called them they wouldn't call you back, if you requested something, two hours latter you would have to call them back because they forgot. if you make reservations for the restaurants with them, they would tell you that someone would drop off the reservation slip in your room, that never happen. if you stayed 7 days you are entitled to two rounds of golf. After booking with the concierge in the previous morning, i was told i would get my voucher in the afternoon. Again that never happen. i could go on and on but it sumarizes that the concierge was completely useless, if you wanted something you would better do it yourself. the minibar were supposed to be filled every day, well unless you call a couple of times they would never show up. there are no water sports at this resort, with a beautifull reef on the beach, they dont have snorkel masks. no kayaks, absolutelly nothing unless we were willing to walk about a mile to the other iberostar resort at the end of the beach and there you would have to book and then come back because there's was a million people ahead of you, shame. we order room service on two separate occasions, the first time an hour had gone by and nothing, so i called to find out what happen, they apologised and said it would be right up. it took another 30 minutes. the second time we order a snack at 5 in the afternoon, by 6 it was still not there, i didn't even bother calling we left the room, went for dinner and when we got back to the room there was a tray with some cold food on the table, not even a note. During our stay, the owner of Iberostar's was staying there with some familly, the way they catered to them made everyone sick in the resort. they would actually ask guests to move to facilitate their catering to them, it was absolutelly pathetic. to make things worst, some genius at the hotel management decided to upgrade some people from the Iberostar Beach Resort and this was the rowdiest people you would ever seen. most guests went up to the general manager and complaint about it and they finally talked to them after a couple of days. these people would sit at the swim up pool bar since 10 am till 6 pm and the bartenders kept instigating them to drink, i guess they were working for the tip. the other thing is that we never saw the guys or the girls getting up to go to the washroom. i know that if i sat all day drinking i would have to pee 5 or 6 times, so needless to say, that pool was pretty much reserved for those people as no one else dare going in.
By the way, i'm not sure how the reservations for the restaurants work because unless you booked 3 or 4 days in advance the only time we could get a reservation for was for 9 pm.
It's such a shame that a beatifull resort is being runned this way, we read the reviews of the first few people that stayed there and that's why we choose this place, i guess it didnt take them long to completely screw it up. i paid almost $5000 for a weeks vacation and all i got was agravation, the only people that week that were happy were the people that paid $1500 at the Iberostar Beach and were upgraded to the Grand. too bad

midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

This is the first review I've ever submitted. I was somewhat hesitant to review this property since our experience was very different from earlier, previous reviews.
I am very discriminating and well-traveled. We were very much looking forward to our vacation at the Grand since we have traveled to many Iberostars with our children. However, the Grand fell somewhat short of our expectations.
The hotel is beautiful but lacking in any tropical feel. It could be located anywhere in the world. The staff was the friendliest we have come across. The entertainment was very good. But, the service was 'hit or miss'. I agree with the previous reviewer that we only saw our butler upon arrival. And, we never received our wake-up call the day of departure and, potentially, could've missed our flight. There was a group at the hotel that was upgraded from next door who frequented the swim-up bar and they were very loud, rude and obnoxious. Most of the activities/classes were cancelled or didn't occur. The food was decent but of a very eclectic, fusion nature with small portions. We actually ate at the Suites next door and had 2 of our best meals. Despite all that, we met some very nice people. The intimate atmosphere was conducive to meeting people and making friends.
We were at the Grand the week of 4/18-25. In discussions with the staff, there seemed to be a consensus that our week and the week preceding had a definite change in atmosphere/service at the hotel. The Iberostar owner arrived for 3 days and there was very discernable tension during his stay. All efforts were made to accomodate/satisfy he and his family at the expense of the guests. He preferred no music for the water aerobics class which, subsequently, got cancelled. When guests sat in front of him at the show, they were asked to move. He made no effort to interact /acknowledge the guests (the people responsible for the success of his properties). Unfortunately, his stay seemed to have a significant negative impact on the service and atmosphere.
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall is a beautiful property with much potential. If they can improve on service and some inconsistencies, it will be able to deliver the upscale experience one would expect of a resort of this caliber.

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

My husband and I traveled to the Grand Rose Hall by luck. We knew we wanted an all inclusive resort and when we booked our Honeymoon there were only two reviews posted and through reading them today, I must say they are spot on.
When we stayed they were at 30% occupancy and the service was excellent, but we were sure that as the hotel filled up this summer they would run into many problems.

Arrival:
We flew into Montego Bay airport which was an easy process through customs and finding our transportation. I was expecting a more private transport to the Grand - we stopped at 4 other hotels to drop people off along the way. We were greeted with cold hand towels and beverages. After check in we were shown to our room and met with our butler that we only saw that one time. There was another butler that would leave notes in our room - not what we had expected.

Meals- There are four dinner restaurants - only of which two were open per night. The hibachi place was the best for us. We eat out in America a lot, and mostly upscale restaurants, so we were disappointed with the food choices. The breakfast buffet was enjoyable, however got old after a few mornings - the utensils that are at the buffets are terrible for picking up the food (sounds ridiculously picky - however it was annoying). We ended up getting room service so we could sit outside and it was nice. The tea they offer is wonderful.

Room- The beds are comfortable and the pillow options are helpful. The air conditioner worked well and would stay on while the doors were shut. However if you don't move around a lot in your sleep it will shut off thinking there is no one in the room. This can make for an uncomfortable awakening in the middle of the night. Cleanliness of the room was top notch. Softer towels would be a plus. If you are a slipper person I would suggest bringing your own. The patio is nice and we had a wonderful view of the ocean and pools.

Water - The pools were too cold when we visited so we rarely got in past our toes. A heater for the "winter" months would be a nice addition in the future. The spa does have an indoor pool that they can adjust the temperature on and we did use that a few times. The ocean was clean and clear. Seems that the hotel racked up the sea weed a lot because I never saw any.

Spa - We didn't even know they had a spa until the third day we were there and walked up to it! The hotel needs to advertise this option a little more because they have a small gym, sauna, steam room, and jacuzzi as well as the indoor pool. We had a hot stone massage and it was nice, but we could tell the ladies have had little experience with it - we both had a few burn spots. Ouch.

Tips - With a 7 days stay you get a round of Golf at the Cinnamon Hill Golf Course which was wonderful! Make sure to ask about it because again - we were not made aware until our third day and that was only because we expressed interest to the concierge desk about golfing. Also, ask for any discounted rates on the excursions - we received 50% off the pamphlet prices for Dunn's River Falls and Zip Line Tour.

Turn Down- One day my husband was not feeling so good after eating dinner and we were not sure if it was food poisoning or not. The hotel took this very seriously and the manager came by the room and a nurse as well. It was nice to see they had our health at mind. We decided to call for our butler to run a bath - he showed up an hour later and we were practically asleep by then. Boo.

Overall, we had a wonderful vacation. I have heard a lot of positive things about the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso which we try out next.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall? Share your experiences!