“Fantastic vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

You added Iberostar Grand Rose Hall to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Road | Little River, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
Calgary, Canada
“Fantastic vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This hotel is one of the best we've experienced in our travels. From the moment you arrive you feel like you are royalty. My wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary while we were here. While we were out for dinner our butler, Donovan, had the room prepped with rose petals, a bubble bath and champagne. All the staff is constantly smiling and they always ask to ensure that every one of your needs and wants is being met. The restaurants are fantastic, the booze is all top shelf and the service is second to none. My wife brought a pair of shoes that she left, with a note, for our housekeeper. The housekeeper met me in the hall the next day and personally thanked me for the gift. We will definitely return here.

Room Tip: Our standard junior suite (6428) was on the top floor on the extreme west end of the complex. We had...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,206)
  • Polish first
Aylmer, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I don't write reviews very often, but I felt the need to review our recent visit to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. I'm not sure if we just had really bad luck throughout the week, but it seemed to be one disappointment after another and I'm having difficulty understanding why this resort has received so many positive reviews. My husband and I travel fairly frequently, to at least one all inclusive resort per year. We've visited resorts from low end to high end in Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican and Mexico. For this trip, we spent nearly $5000 for the two of us for one week (and this was a Red Tag group rate). We typically wouldn't spend this much for one week, but friend's of ours were getting married at this resort, so we made the exception and splurged a little more than we would normally. Perhaps this resulted in the bar being set higher?

Arrival: Our first night went fine. We arrived around 10pm on Jan. 18th 2015. The lobby is very grand, but the decor is a bit tacky, sort of a Victorian/Spanish style with a splash of Beetlejuice. Check in was smooth. The employees at the front desk were very helpful and courteous. We were placed in room 5015. I was a bit disappointed initially, as we were in a room on the bottom level, with no view, but my husband was happy as we didn't have to deal with stairs or elevators, so I didn't cause a fuss about it. Although another couple in our group were placed two doors down from us, and they also agreed that for the money spent, you would think everyone would have had an oceanview room. Oh well. We then ordered some room service which was delivered quickly and was delicious, (although we'd just travelled for over 6 hours, were exhausted and starving, so a leather boot would have tasted delicious at that point). We then proceeded to unpack our bags.

Our first day: The following morning we made our way to the breakfast buffet at the "Cornwall". We ate here every morning. The food was decent. The restaurant itself is a little warm which (as another reviewer mentioned) even caused the cheese to sweat, but we found the food was still good. The ladies working the omelette stations were very sweet, always smiling and chit chatting with the guests and they made great omelettes. I hate to admit it, but I'm a bit of a ketchup fan. The ketchup at the resort is a bit sketchy (I appropriately re-named it "Sketch-up") because it's an odd clear reddish colour with an almost gelatinous consistency. It still tastes okay, but you may want to bring some from home (however friends of ours mentioned that miniature bottles of Heinz are delivered to your room when you order room service.) I would expect the "Sketch-up" in a lower end resort, but not at what is supposed to be a luxury 5 star hotel.

This same day, we headed down to the beach where we spent most of the day swimming in the ocean. The ocean is quite nice, better than most of the Jamaican man-made beaches, although when the water gets a bit rough, a lot of seaweed is carried in. Later on that afternoon, I made my way into our room for a siesta before dinner. I woke up 2 hours later to a flooded room and a leaking ceiling. I immediately called the front desk to advise them of the issue. Maintenance came to look at the leak and stated it was the air conditioning unit that was leaking. We were asked us to pack our belongings and were relocated to room 6326, which was on the opposite side of the resort. Our new room now had an oceanview which was nicer than our first room but our balcony was significantly smaller. For the inconvenience, we were sent an apology letter from the manager, a plate of chocolates and a bottle of champagne.

Hallways: Most Caribbean resorts have open air hallways and tile throughout. This resort's hallways are completely enclosed with windows, and carpeted floors?!?! Naturally, the moist and humid air in Jamaica causes the carpets to smell very musty throughout, even to the point that my husband referred to the halls as smelling like "cat pee". The humidity is also causing the carpets to bevel and lift in certain spots. One evening, it rained, and as my husband and I headed to dinner, we noticed the ceiling in the hallway had cracked and leaking drywall with buckets below catching the leaking water. I'm sure all of the leaks are also a contributing factor to the musty smells throughout.

Rules: There seems to be a significant number of rules at this resort. You would think that, being in the adults only part of the resort, and being all adults, that we could be trusted to behave properly. Apparently not. You aren't allowed to smoke in the pools or at the swim up bar. You aren't allowed to sit along the edge of the pool where the water cascades over. You aren't allowed to have glass bottles in the pool (this one made sense). You aren't allowed to have your drink on the dance floor at the disco (don't get this one). You aren't allowed to relocate the lounge chairs at the pool. All of the lights shut off on all of the balconies at 11pm...not sure if this was a hydro bill saving tactic, or the resort's way of telling everyone to go to bed?? It just seemed to be one rule after another. A little frustrating. Kind of felt like kindergarten.

The rooms: The rooms are average in comparison to most hotels I've stayed at. Nothing really outstanding. It was nice that the washrooms had his and hers sinks at opposite ends of the washroom. The rain shower head was lovely, however we found it really gross that when after showering, a lot of the shower water pooled at the entrance of the shower creating a yucky cesspool (and this occurred in the showers in both of the rooms we had been in). The beds are very comfortable, and the blackout curtains in the room often resulted in us sleeping in very late (we're typically very early morning risers) because no sunlight gets through.

The Butler: This service was a little annoying. The butler would show up to our room once or twice a day, knocking on our door, asking if there was anything we needed. I get he was trying to be helpful, but it became a little tiresome. All of the rooms have a telephone with a room service, front desk, housekeeping and butler button on the phone. If there was anything we needed, we would have called. Some of the people in our group even received a phonecall on our last morning pushing to find out at what time they would be checking out. Everyone knew that checkout was at noon, unless it had been past this time, these phone calls should not have been made.

Fitness Centre: Considering this resort is multiple resorts combined, and the fitness centre is shared by all of the resorts, you would expect the fitness centre to be significantly bigger. This fitness centre is so cramped, you feel like a sardine while working out. There are 3 or 4 ellipticals and they are back to back, but so close together, that I was sure I was going to hit the next elliptical in front or back of me with each stride. There are 6 treadmills squashed side by side, 2 of which were broken, and you are facing a flat wall while you workout (because running on the treadmill isn't boring enough). One day, I completed my workout on the treadmill, and two ladies got into a heated argument about who got there first to get the next free treadmill. The fitness centre is definitely in need of an expansion and more machines added to avoid this sort of conflict, or at the minimum, have the machines that are there working at all times.

À la carte restaurants: I dined at a few of the à la carte restaurants. I enjoyed the French restaurant Le Gourmet. I had the stuffed lobster tails which were amazing as well as the brie appetizer that had a blueberry coulis and caramelized onions.
We also had a reservation for the Italian restaurant at 8:30pm the Friday night we were there. The reservation was for 22 people, and (another rule), any group reservations of more than 14 people requires a set menu. As a result, we were forced to pick between beef or grey snapper for our main course and no choice of salad, appetizer or dessert. Most of our group agreed that this was a disappointing meal. The salad was a tomato/mozzarella salad (some guests ended up with green tomatoes), the appetizer was a small bowl of tortellini with mushrooms (this was good), those who chose the beef ended up with it cooked "blue" (the servers didn't ask any of our group how they wanted their beef cooked), and those that chose the fish, received a very bland piece of steamed grey snapper. Dessert was tiramisu, which was good although I asked the server if there were nuts in the tiramisu (as I have a nut allergy), she said she would verify, but then never came back. It seemed rather odd that we were forced to have a set menu for our meal, when at 8:30pm, there was literally no one else in the restaurant other than our group.
We made a reservation for the Japanese on the Thursday night we were there. This was by far the best meal we had all week. Our chef was Chef Ching Ching (a.k.a. Jason) and he was absolutely phenomenal. He put on an incredible show for us doing tricks such as bouncing eggs and bowls of rice off of his spatula, and flinging his cooking tools around with his swift hand movements while simultaneously cooking up some of the best food I've ever had on a teppanyaki grill. There were four of us in our reservation that evening and we all agreed that it was the best meal we'd had that week. Having had such an amazing evening at the Japanese, we booked another reservation there for our last night, and raved to two others from our group about how amazing it had been, convincing them to come enjoy it with us. Again, being our last night at the resort, I saved a very expensive BCBG dress I had bought for this trip specifically for that night. We requested to again have Chef Ching Ching, but the seating around specific grills is on a first come first served basis, and we ended up being seated in another area with a more amateur chef (I won't name names). I understand that practice makes perfect, and everyone has to start somewhere, but this chef needs a lot more practice before he should be serving the guests. He attempted similar tricks as Chef Ching Ching had, but fumbled his spatulas mid trick and at one point, threw an egg up in the air which landed and splattered all over his head, forcing him to leave his station to clean up, while another chef had to fill in. The food was also not good, the beef was overcooked, my husband feared the chicken would be raw, and the rice was crunchy from being burnt. To add insult to injury, prior to our meal, our chef heated his grill to an extremely high temperature, poured oil all over it and began smearing it around as a means to clean the grill. In mid swish with his spatula during this cleaning process, he swept the oil towards my side of the grill which resulted in hot oil splashing on my face, chest, arms and brand new dress. Thankfully I wasn't too badly burnt, but my dress now had oil spatters on it and naturally, this put a huge damper on the rest of our evening. Following dinner, we visited guest services to explain what had happened. They apologized and offered to dry clean the dress for me, but because we were heading home the next morning, I feared I would not get the dress back in time. As a result, we opted to wait until we returned home to have the dress cleaned. Management, yet again, sent us an apology letter, a plate of chocolates, and a bottle of champagne.

The wedding: The wedding was lovely. The bride opted to have the wedding ceremony on the upper balcony off of the lobby bar as she wanted to be able to wear her heels. This would have been difficult had the ceremony been in the sand. The bride told me that the wedding coordinator had been so helpful throughout the entire process, basically granting everything she asked for. Everything from the ceremony, cocktail hour with a steel drum band, the reception with a buffet dinner, and the releasing of the lanterns into the sky that evening went off without a hitch. My only complaint would have been, during the ceremony, the entertainment staff down at the pool began blaring loud music and yelling into their mic. This was rather disruptive and you would assume the entertainment staff would be advised of a wedding going on at the resort and asked to keep it down for a mere 20-30 minutes. Apart from this, the wedding was perfect.

Overall, we still enjoyed our vacation even with the hiccups. The friends vacationing with us made our stay wonderful as well as of many of the fantastic entertainment and wait staff. I have to give a special shoutout to Kiki and Thunder in the Entertainment Team, Jerry and Wayne at the Swim Up Bar, Jodain the waitress at the pool/beach, the ladies at the omelette stations at the Cornwall (don't remember their names), Michael the cleaner and of course again to Chef Ching Ching at the Japanese restaurant. As another reviewer mentioned, the staff were probably the only redeeming feature to this resort. Some of them go above and beyond for their guests and continue doing so with a smile on their face even after having worked a 12 hour shift.

I have to say, I was very anxious to visit this resort, as it had originally been our first choice for our wedding 3 years ago. I walked into a travel agency several months prior to our wedding and spoke with an agent there asking her opinion on which resort we should select for our wedding, the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall or Secrets St James. Her response was "Secrets is beautiful". As a result, we went with Secrets for our wedding. Having now visited the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, I'm so thankful we went with Secrets.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I was a little confused about the difference in the Iberostar group. We were after the all adult location and that we found at the Iberostar Grand! We had a beautiful room overlooking the beach. There are several resturants on the site and we enjoyed both the Japanese and the Italian. We went to both of the offered buffets, one with a Jamaican slant and the other an innovative mix of all types of delicious food - elegantly displayed. All aspects of this trip were beautifully handled. We were completely relaxed by the end of our trip. They even tailor the minibar to our taste.

The staff was very helpful and well-mannered and polite.

The ride from the airport is just 20 minutes and along the coast so even that was enjoyable - although not included.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Fourth trip to the Grand, third review. Got back last week from a 9 day stay. Two at the Suites, 7 at the Grand (3 women of a certain age). Well...words cannot do justice to this resort. Again. It is simply spectacular. We previously came January '12, '13 and '14. This yr., due to the length of our stay and attendant price tag, we decided to try the Suites. How bad could it be, right? Well, once you've gone Grand, you can't go back! The Suites is fine if you're travelling with kids or don't wanna splurge. But believe me, it's worth the splurge! From the moment we entered the lobby...you can feel the difference. The staff is second to none. Their aim is to make your stay as enjoyable as it can be, and they succeed.

I feel the bar has even been raised...the food has improved, the service has improved and just everything is top top notch. It always was and it's hard to improve upon perfection but this has been achieved. Even the pool music...used to play the same rotation, day after day, now there's more variety. Yes u have to be up early to get a good spot at the pool, but guess what folks, show me a resort where this doesn't happen. So get up, get your spot and go back to bed if you want. If that's your biggest beef then so be it.

Every morning we enjoy coffee and a cheese/cracker/fruit plate on the spectacular balcony. Our first morning at the Suites, we called room service only to be told they don't provide breakfast stuff in the morning. WHAT??? Quick trip over to the Grand and, after check in we mentioned it to our butler Stephen (during his lengthy explanation of services) and we had it delivered every morning, without ever having to call. Stephen was great btw.

Special shoutouts have to go to Fitzroy at surf n turf, Bubbles and Stella for sure and Onika at the pool bar. Sweetest, hardest working lady. And of course Kanisha and Jodian, workin hard and smilin all the while.

Tip if u want, don't tip if u want. Service is the same. All I can say is I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!!!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

we have now stayed at this Iberostar twice, last time at the suites and this time at Grand Rose Hall. Really, it is well worth the upgrade to stay at Grand Rose Hall. Attention to detail, butler service, food, every little detail is looked after.We only at out at the Jamaican theme restaurant, the rest of the time the buffet was enough for us, with a different culinary theme each evening. The bar on the main level has wonderful entertainment and the lemon martini is a must. We didn't use the butler services to any great extent, but they were ever present if you needed them. True, the towel dilemna exists, not sure how to solve that one. The golf was great, didn't do any excursions. The only concern we have is that for such a high end resort, they should get rid of the carpets in the hallway and replace with terrazzo like the front entrance and rooms. The smell of carpets in a humid Caribbean climate is something you can't get rid of, and the constant burning of scented candles and oils is really overpowering. Really thing to fix, and would make this place even more perfect. It only takes 30 min from the airport, a short ride considering. We will be turning for sure!

Room Tip: Wi fi not great on the beach, if you care. Top floor (4th) is the best. Ocean view if you want to pa...
Oak Creek, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I just spent three nights at this property and it was beyond amazing. The resort is pristine! The rooms are huge (especially just for two people), the balcony was also huge, and the service is like none other. I seriously have no complaints. Drinks are great, food is great, the pools are great. I would strongly recommend making a reservation for the hibachi restaurant. We had Jason as our chef and he was so entertaining. I can't wait to go back again. It is expensive, but worth every penny. You will feel like a VIP from the moment you walk in the door.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Iberostar H, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review of our property. Your comments about our rooms, balcony, service, and cuisine was indeed motivating. Our goal at the IBEROSTAR Grand Rose Hall is to create wonderful vacation memories for our guests. To this end, it was delightful to hear that we had treated you and your spouse to your best vacation. We would be honored if you would allow us to serve you again, so please do not hesitate to return in the near future.

Online Reputation Manager
Albertville Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

This was our best trip ever ! We stayed on the 4th floor and had beautiful view of the beach. The food, the room service and all of the staff were superb in every way. The room was spacious and had a private balcony plus a neat whirlpool tub. We were celebrating our 51st Wedding Anniversary and the staff surprised us with many special treats in our room. The pools, the beach and entertainment were all great. I especially enjoyed the whirlpools in the Spa. We highly recommend the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay. Hope to return again next year

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your pleasant review. We were heartened by your encouraging comments. It was especially rewarding to hear that our first-class food, rooms, staff and spa service had met your high expectations. Our team looks forward to being able to welcome you back soon.

Online Reputation Manager

Been to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall? Share your experiences!